Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-26-2017, 4:27 PM

Default FC Hook = total disappointment

Was really looking forward to this approach to a "fixed" magazine that the FC Hook offered. Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgVgrrubS5c) looked like the best of all the other solutions such as what I've already tried:
  1. DFM (not the biggest fan of a modified bolt catch/latch, or pounding out/in that frustrating pin)
  2. ARMaglock (super easy/fast to install, but with the screw and and wear on the upper for a tight fit or less than tight fit)
But installing the FC Hook was a total fail for me. On a BRO (Black Rain) lower, followed the instructions of using a LPK original spring and original mag release (i.e., no bullet button parts), then rotated the FC Hook until it was flush with the mag release, inserted a Pmag 10 rounder and then "popped" in the FC Hook.

Press the mag release and boom...mag drops. Rewatched the video and reinstalled FC Hook numerous times. No go for me on this lower every single time. Didn't even have to touch the mag for it to drop when depressing the mag release.

So...FC Hook for sale. Nice concept, or so I thought it would be but didn't work for me. Bummer.
Old 01-26-2017, 4:55 PM

Maybe you got one that was drilled off? I was very interested in this one myself. bummer to hear this. Any pics up close of it I was curious how the pin was done myself with such a small part it looks like there's not much there for a spring.
Old 01-26-2017, 4:56 PM

With all of these 2nd gen bullet buttons and fixed mag solutions, and the ensuing issues (legal and otherwise) I don't understand why so many are so willing to jump through hoops to keep their features. Either register or go featureless. I have 5 AR's and I will be making 3 of them featureless and the two cheap builds I'm considering registering. I personally don't like the idea of having to pull the action apart to drop the mag, and not being able to lose the bullet button when registering doesn't exactly blow sunshine up my skirt either. Featureless is the absolute best option IMHO.
Old 01-26-2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
Maybe you got one that was drilled off? I was very interested in this one myself. bummer to hear this. Any pics up close of it I was curious how the pin was done myself with such a small part it looks like there's not much there for a spring.

Is it possible that he didn't thread the catch all the way flush with the release button? After watching that video it seems that is key in making this product work. The detent pin must be behind the lower receiver's magwell wall.

OP, could you please post up a pic of how this is installed in your lower? Preferably the inside of the magwell so e can see if the detent pin is engaging
Old 01-26-2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble phish View Post
Is it possible that he didn't thread the catch all the way flush with the release button? After watching that video it seems that is key in making this product work. The detent pin must be behind the lower receiver's magwell wall.

OP, could you please post up a pic of how this is installed in your lower? Preferably the inside of the magwell so e can see if the detent pin is engaging
Maybe. But I was looking at a billet lower that I have and it looks like it may have slighty more room in that spot. I think Black Rain lowers are billet also and maybe that could be the issue?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You may be using a Gen 3 PMAG? or another magazine that is not compatible? Check this out...

http://torqueprecision.com/p/aboutfchook

Scroll down to read about magazine compatibility. There is a slide image that tells you how to fix Gen 3 PMAGS so they work in your lower.

Don't sell your FC Hook yet! Try using anther magazine. ASC is recommended on the website. If you love your PMAGS, it's a simple fix.
Old 02-04-2017, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Default FC Hook Magazine Compatibility and GEN3 PMAG Modification Instructions

Old 02-04-2017, 5:22 PM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixzero View Post
You may be using a Gen 3 PMAG? or another magazine that is not compatible? Check this out...

http://torqueprecision.com/p/aboutfchook

Scroll down to read about magazine compatibility. There is a slide image that tells you how to fix Gen 3 PMAGS so they work in your lower.

Don't sell your FC Hook yet! Try using anther magazine. ASC is recommended on the website. If you love your PMAGS, it's a simple fix.
Since this is mean to be a legal compliance part, altering your Pmags doesn't sound like a fix to me. If I am reading the OP correctly, all anyone has to do is put an unaltered Pmag into the rifle and BOOM! it's an assault weapon.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 02-04-2017, 6:39 PM

How would you go about removing the FC hook if you wanted to change it out for another option, how do you access that detent pin once you push it in and the mag release pops into the lower?
Old 02-04-2017, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
With all of these 2nd gen bullet buttons and fixed mag solutions, and the ensuing issues (legal and otherwise) I don't understand why so many are so willing to jump through hoops to keep their features. Either register or go featureless. I have 5 AR's and I will be making 3 of them featureless and the two cheap builds I'm considering registering. I personally don't like the idea of having to pull the action apart to drop the mag, and not being able to lose the bullet button when registering doesn't exactly blow sunshine up my skirt either. Featureless is the absolute best option IMHO.
I agree - go featureless. However, you can't go featureless on an ar15 pistol.

This news is a real bummer. I saw this advertised the other day. I'm not going to modify my mags and don't want to risk making an AW with an unmodified mag.

Looks like the franklin armory mag is the best option for now.
Old 02-04-2017, 7:13 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
And then next year when they ban featureless with a detachable mag?
Register or go break-open?
Then in 2020 when they go after break open?
You'll be stuck with registration AND featureless AND your break-open style bullet button.

Don't poo-poo that... Featureless ban was vetoed in 2013 and was on the table again in 2016, it died in committee.
Now, the left has a veto-proof supermajority in both houses, AND they are emboldened by Brown signing 60% of "Gunmageddon", our failure to get a referendum on the ballot, and the Prop 63 60% win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-04-2017, 7:17 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarbarino View Post
How would you go about removing the FC hook if you wanted to change it out for another option, how do you access that detent pin once you push it in and the mag release pops into the lower?
Looks like you would use the same tool that you would use to depress the detent to drop a mag, then use another tool to depress the mag release far enough to fully open it.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-04-2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
And then next year when they ban featureless with a detachable mag?
Register or go break-open?
Then in 2020 when they go after break open?
You'll be stuck with registration AND featureless AND your break-open style bullet button.

Don't poo-poo that... Featureless ban was vetoed in 2013 and was on the table again in 2016, it died in committee.
Now, the left has a veto-proof supermajority in both houses, AND they are emboldened by Brown signing 60% of "Gunmageddon", our failure to get a referendum on the ballot, and the Prop 63 60% win.
Just like when they make your compliance device illegal, like they did with the bullet button?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2017, 8:10 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Just like when they make your compliance device illegal, like they did with the bullet button?
Exactly.

You'll be stuck with registration, the pre-registered configuration, AND the compliance device.
Forever.

May as well register now and get it over with.
They are not going to confiscate, they are playing a game of attrition. You can't sell it or give it to anyone, within 70 years there will be no AW's in California.

Register to remain legal and make plans to GTFO of California.

Quote:
Old 08-04-2017, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Any update on the FC Hook? Now I'm considering this because it's a lot easier to remove the floorplate on a pmag vs the DFM.
Old 08-04-2017, 9:36 PM

OK, op had me worried for a bit.
I ordered an FC hook as well as a DFM just to check out the options and I hadn't tested the FC hook yet.

I just installed it in a plain-jane Spikes lower and the device works as advertised. The only mag at hand is a pmag 10 gen m3. I'd need to go to the garage again to get some other mags to check but it works with the pmag so good enough for now.
Its fixed mag for this rifle or else I have to grind off a flash hider and get a new brake pinned and welded. That's a PITA for me.

If your lower is billet perhaps its a bit thicker there at the magwell and thats keeping the spring loaded pin from locking up behind the inside of the magwell wall.
Old 08-06-2017, 1:19 PM

Addendum to my earlier post: I just checked some of my other magazines for compatibility and I found that my C Products magazines will not work with the FC Hook unless modified due to the ramp just above the mag catch hole in the magazine. As shown in threesixzero's post if the mag isn't flat there it'll keep the lock from locking. So check your magazines if using the FC hook.
Old 08-06-2017, 1:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Spoke to the OP. Another one was sent and didn't work. Must be his lower. I bought a mag and FC hook from him. I'll try it out and see how it does.
Old 08-07-2017, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkphibr View Post
Was really looking forward to this approach to a "fixed" magazine that the FC Hook offered. Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgVgrrubS5c) looked like the best of all the other solutions such as what I've already tried:
  1. DFM (not the biggest fan of a modified bolt catch/latch, or pounding out/in that frustrating pin)
  2. ARMaglock (super easy/fast to install, but with the screw and and wear on the upper for a tight fit or less than tight fit)
But installing the FC Hook was a total fail for me. On a BRO (Black Rain) lower, followed the instructions of using a LPK original spring and original mag release (i.e., no bullet button parts), then rotated the FC Hook until it was flush with the mag release, inserted a Pmag 10 rounder and then "popped" in the FC Hook.

Press the mag release and boom...mag drops. Rewatched the video and reinstalled FC Hook numerous times. No go for me on this lower every single time. Didn't even have to touch the mag for it to drop when depressing the mag release.

So...FC Hook for sale. Nice concept, or so I thought it would be but didn't work for me. Bummer.
If you read about the FChook, they say its for mil spec lowers. Your BRO billet lower would not be a mil spec lower.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM

I have an FC hook on one of my DD lowers and it works as advertised.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

I put the FC Hook on a couple of my rifles, just as a stop-gap solution. I want to store these rifles in a legal configuration, but be able to easily change them to some other solution later. It only takes a minute to remove the FC Hook so this is the solution for me (for just a couple of rifles - I am also going featureless on some and registering others).

It works on my standard mil-spec lowers with standard mil-spec aluminum magazines. My Pmags do not work. They would need to be dremeled. No need for that for me as I have plenty of normal magazines.
Old 08-16-2017, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

I purchased the FC Hook from the OP. It works well! He also included a pmag and extended take down pins. I'm going with the mean arms, ejection port loader. I really like this product. As other have stated - it works and is easy to reverse if I go out of state.
Old 08-16-2017, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

Simple DIY easily reversible 2017 Compliant AR fixed magazine for $0.63

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1366673
Old 08-17-2017, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Simple DIY easily reversible 2017 Compliant AR fixed magazine for $0.63

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1366673

I like it but I'm not comfortable drilling into my receiver. Not to mention, I don't have all of those tools. I'll pay the $40 and dremel a pmag.
Old 08-18-2017, 9:02 AM

This definitely looks reversible for when exercising your your rights in a free state, you know, before returning to serfdom.
Thanks for posting this.

NRA Life Member
USCCA Gold
LTC's: AZ CA I Shop @ Amazon to Donate to Ca Gun Rights Foundation