Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-18-2019, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Ha, nice. One thing you won't have to worry about then.
Most people don't have that experience.

If you have zero field experience, then it's the fastest, cheapest way to get some (and possibly a pig).
Thanks

Sent from my SM-S757BL using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2019, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnHunt View Post
gutless method, lot easier and cleaner. I then open up the animal to get the tender loin, heart and liver. dont forget the tongue. https://youtu.be/dJHb6WoOFvc
non insulated boots for scouting and hunting cali
vx3i 3.5-10 with CDS is on my main elk rifle, monarch 2.5-10 or 3-12 is all the scope you will need for hunting. low power is crucial if you get into thick.
6.5 is just fine and can be cheap.... and seems like its everywhere like 308,270,30/06.
scout, and more scouting is how you will have success on regular basis. trail cameras to see if there are animals and their times of movement.
good binoculars, buy once, cry once
base map or on X apps on your phone and google earth to scout
This was good thank you.

Old 10-18-2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
watch a movie with a bad ending. That will help prepare you for not filling your tag which is what most people do.
Take a 308. It is a better choice. This is from a person who has hunted since the 1960's, been very successful, and owns quite a number of different rifles chambered in different cartridges.
One last thing ---do not go cheap on the scope or over due the power on it. I suggest, and use on my hunting rifles/pistols, that you get a Leupold. For hunting a 3X9X40 or better yet the VX3i in 3.5X10X40 with duplex reticle, Non-AO, sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards and hold on the animal to have meat in the freezer...………….providing you see a legal animal
Thanks for the wisdom download on the scope and 308 suggestion.

Old 10-18-2019, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Learn to walk silently. Most people walk very lazily and loudly.

One trick that helps to slow down and silent is to keep all your weight on your back leg then see where you place your front leg (avoiding brush, leaves, twigs, etc) then slowly transition your weight onto the front foot. Pull from your front foot to pull your back leg forward. It's harder than it seems but works.
This one advise got me thinking alot.lol

Old 10-18-2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
Get proficient with your weapon, get in shape, scout
Yes thanks. I started on the physical part.

Old 10-18-2019, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
^^^ Fair enough, I've done enough reading to know it's a good choice, and I am starting to see it commercially available in hunting loads in more places for sure.

I'm just old school, and that says .270, .308, .30-06 will get it done every time. The 6.5 only kicks less than the .308 because it shoots a smaller bullet. There's no free lunch when it comes to recoil, Isaac Newton is a tightwad.

Keep us posted on what you do, that's what makes the forum cool.
Thanks for the advice. I do plan to study more. There is more to hunting than aiming a rifle. Thanks for the wisdom.

Old 10-18-2019, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Buy a hunting caliber gun from a major manufacturer, put the best scope you can afford on it, and get the best binoculars you can afford.

Remington 700 (lots of hunting caliber choices, Google Chuck Hawks for info on appropriate calibers) topped with a Leopold or Burris or Vortex scope in 3x9 power, and medium power binoculars and you will be set. A good pair of boots will help. A monopod stick or bipod stick is a nice tool...the guide will probably have something, or bring one you have tried.

You do not need tactical clothing or even camo for that matter. You do not need a scope with more than 3x9 power as you will not be shooting over 200 yards for years to come.

Get to the range and get sighted in with at least one box down the tube. Go back a couple weeks later and see if you are still dialed in. Repeat. Make sure to sight in with

Lead free ammo as that is what you will hunt with in CA

Then, hire a guide and go get a hog. You want a guide that will show you how to glass, spot, and stock and give you good advice....if the guide advertises super high success rates, it's probably not true...a guide that gets 50 to 75% is doing well and is likely telling the truth. Spring for 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 to get the most attention from the guide. The guide fee is well worth the money for the right guide.

Good luck and have fun. It is an addictive hobby and can put some amazing food on your table.
Thank you for the great advise.

Old 10-18-2019, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Get your licence early and follow guide lines...

There are check lists for the type hunt your planing. Ie 1 week or 2 for what to bring.
Yes thank you.

Old 10-18-2019, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW011 View Post
I'm in year 3, and here are things I've learned:

Gear:
-Gun: Learn to shoot your rifle confidently and accurately without using the tables and rests at the shooting range. Shoot kneeling, standing, or with shooting sticks. Most shots you take will be between 60-125 yards, and you want to be able to hit a 6" kill zone.
-Boots: get the boots you can afford, and break them in. I started with ankle high and it sucked going through brush and getting all kinds of stuff in there. Got mid-calf height and am much happier.
-Backpack: I bought a cheap pack that failed while packing out meat; it was hell. Spend the money on a good meat hauling pack, and make sure it's fitted for your waist and torso.
-Binos: Get the best you can afford.
-Knife: Skip the giant hunting bowie knives; you don't need that. Havalon knives are small, but have deadly sharp replaceable blades. You can carry another bigger knife for emergencies/defense, but don't go Rambo.
-Mapping/GPS: Get OnX (use code THP for 20% off), it's fantastic for scouting public lands, and marking your waypoints/distances.

Learning:
- Use keyword searches and scour as far back through CalGun archives as you can. If you have a question, it's already been asked, and there's a wealth of knowledge there.
-Get out and learn a small area at a time. Look for water sources, possible bedding areas, quality/season of food, and sign (scat, tracks, scrapes). Practice walking as slowly as possible; take 5 steps, and stop for 30 seconds. Scan the woods, listen for movement. Do all this months before the season, not a week; you'll push out whatever you're trying to hunt.
-Get in shape: Hunting in CA is strenuous. Put 20-30 pounds in your pack and hit the hills, on the trail and off the trail. Don't be like me and spend your whole summer sitting at sea level drinking beer. Your body will hate you when you're trying to hike into your spot at 8k on opening day.
-YouTube: watch as much content as you can. There are some fantastic hunting channels that give you lots of tips on everything, from scouting to pack dumps to butchering. Keep in mind most deer content is for whitetail, and blacktail hunting is completely different (whitetail are super easy to pattern, blacktail are not)

While hunting:
-Safety first! Tell someone where you're hunting, and when you plan on being back. Follow gun safety, be aware of your muzzle at all times, especially when you're hunting with a partner or group. Don't put your safety off till you're ready to pull the trigger. Wear blaze orange on opening day and anytime there's a chance there's another hunter in the area (which is most days in the D zones)
-Watch your wind. Expensive "scent-concealing" clothes and sprays can never cover your scent fully. You're better off skipping that and just watching the wind as you approach and hunt your spot. It also changes through the day, so be flexible and have backup plans. Apps like Windfinder and Wunderground are great for hour to hour weather updates.
-Bring more water than just a regular bottled water. Hydration packs are super cheap these days, get a 2-3L if you're going to be out all day, and especially if you're hunting hot areas in A zone.
-Get to your spot an hour or two before the sun is up.
-Bring food with you so you don't have to come back to camp for lunch. Every hour you're eating in camp is an hour you're not hunting.
-Again, walk 10x slower than you normally would. In the words of a great mentor of mine, "We're hunting, not hiking."

Best of luck out there!
Thanks you have sent me on my first hunt. The knowledge hunt. My budget will be small but I will do the best to be wise. Thank you again

Old 10-18-2019, 7:25 AM

For now folks I begin by getting in shape reading and asking questions. Look for hunters that will share their experiences. Start to by first my boots. Second get my rifle. Third start buying my gear. Almost forgot to mention binoculars and yes get my wife's permission ... I am grateful for the wisdom that these post have. I will be visiting them in the next months.

Old 10-18-2019, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtribe View Post
Well folks for now I'm go ok ng to work on knowledge and health. Still plan on getting a 6.5 creedmoor. But I grew up on 308

I would go with the 308 or larger with this non lead ammo game seems to take longer to die in smaller calibers .I haven't been very impressed with my 260 since I went to nonlead.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 10-18-2019, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
I would go with the 308 or larger with this non lead ammo game seems to take longer to die in smaller calibers .I haven't been very impressed with my 260 since I went to nonlead.
Thanks

Old 10-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

As far as walking quietly I took a friend of mine deer/bear hunting last weekend. He's tagged along on a single day deer hunt with me once before and shot his first pig with me at a place near King City.

The forest was dry and we were walking down a logging road and I could consistently hear him behind me. I showed him how you put down your front part of your foot first, not your heel and how you can control your sound and not make those big breaking stick sounds. He did it for like 2 minutes and was back to crunching away so I ignored it.

Get one of those wind checker things like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Down-Win...1421722&sr=8-4

In the mountains the wind frequently is subtle and changes. In areas where game is pressured if they wind you, you won't even know they were ever there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quick question do I stay away from 511 gear and clothing???

Old 10-18-2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Quick question do I stay away from 511 gear and clothing???Sent from my SM-S757BL using Tapatalk
If you like 511, use it. Wear whatever you are most comfortable wearing. Unless you are turkey hunting, duck hunting or archery hunting, camo makes very little difference. Some guys swear by $200 pants/ shirts and $350 jackets. I wear a pair of military surplus BDU pants, a comfortable long sleeve shirt and a jacket appropriate for the temperature. BDU pants are loose fitting and have lots of pockets, which come in handy to keep things readily available.

Your most important item, as others have stated, is your pair of boots. Unless you intend to hunt in the snow, get an un-insulated, lightweight pair of a decent brand. Proper fit is essential. i recommend going somewhere you can try them on rather than ordering online. Start breaking them in as soon as you get them by wearing them as often as possible.
Old 10-18-2019, 5:07 PM

wait for clearances coming up. don't need the latest and greatest first lite or sitka. keep your eye out bass bro/cabelas clearance or midway usa.
I like fleece, micro fiber, wool type clothing. something soft and quiet walking through brush.
layers are your friends.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
wait for clearances coming up. don't need the latest and greatest first lite or sitka. keep your eye out bass bro/cabelas clearance or midway usa.
I like fleece, micro fiber, wool type clothing. something soft and quiet walking through brush.
layers are your friends.
Yes that's so true on specials

Old 10-18-2019, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

My wife hunts in REI, i hunt in Carhartt and Duluth
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
My wife hunts in REI, i hunt in Carhartt and Duluth
Got it.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
As far as walking quietly I took a friend of mine deer/bear hunting last weekend. He's tagged along on a single day deer hunt with me once before and shot his first pig with me at a place near King City.

The forest was dry and we were walking down a logging road and I could consistently hear him behind me. I showed him how you put down your front part of your foot first, not your heel and how you can control your sound and not make those big breaking stick sounds. He did it for like 2 minutes and was back to crunching away so I ignored it.

Get one of those wind checker things like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Down-Win...1421722&sr=8-4

In the mountains the wind frequently is subtle and changes. In areas where game is pressured if they wind you, you won't even know they were ever there.
Back in the 80s I was a kid,my father and I went hunting and he told me to shut up and walk slower.lol then he lifted his hand to be still and he threw a few rock on a bushes area and a doe came out like a rocket.. we had been there for about 20 min.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:58 PM

If I understand it right the hog season is year round?

Old 10-23-2019, 9:20 PM

A cheap 22 rifle and your hunting license and your in the game. Rabbit. A cheap shotgun and your hunting quail and dove. Ez and fun.

Big game hunting is crazy expensive. 5%-10% of hunters can hunt big game on a nickel. Take some good advice and be carful. 4 wheel drive vehicles, out of state hunts, expensive equipment is never ending.(but full of adventure)

The real question that you might ask is how much money has everyone spent on hunting “everything TOTAL” in your life so far? World class advice comes from those who spent worlds of time and money.

I would think $50,000-$100,000 is not unusual. If you added hunting and fishing together it could be in the $200,000.

For those who can hunt on a nickel-congratulations you must live near heaven.
Old 10-23-2019, 9:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If I understand it right the hog season is year round?
Yes, considered a pest/invasive species. Year-round/No limit
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 10-23-2019, 10:13 PM

At this time I'm reading watching videos. Learning and being realistic with my financial situation but I believe by the next season I will be ready. I will start with light hunting and work my way up. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 PM
CGSSA Associate

Hunt local.......it may take 3-7 years to get a constant harvest but that's what it takes here......I tell people all the time.....if you CAN do it here then you can do it anywhere!
Old 10-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Hunt local.......it may take 3-7 years to get a constant harvest but that's what it takes here......I tell people all the time.....if you CAN do it here then you can do it anywhere!
I plan to stay in my local area d14 here in san Bernardino ca. 30 min from my home in my teens my father would harvest every year.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:59 PM

On the local hunting bright side. I started hunting LA on a shoestring over 35 years ago. We drove and explored for years. I found a spot less then 2 hrs from LAX that had nice bucks. 35 years later the bucks are in the same spot and the deer beds are in the same area. It is still difficult to harvest so I’ve been going out of state for better success odds.

This year
Spring CA pig hunt total $900
UT elk October Total $1,200
AZ Coues Deer. Total $800
Gear and practice. Total $6,000
2019 total. $8,900 close approximation

But probably closer to $10,000 with tag drawings in multiple states.

Going out quail and rabbit hunting While scouting for deer areas is a fun way to explore. Spend time camping in the locations to get a real feel for the wildlife. You’ll want quality camping gear$$$

Last edited by tsmithson; 10-24-2019 at 11:12 PM..
Old 10-24-2019, 11:36 PM

Lew is right on with the wind checker.

You basically need to walk around with the wind in your face and change direction as the wind does.

The visual will help you learn the wind.

Hunting is plans and strategies with a given set of rules,

break the rules.......start over.

You have a cone of scent blowing down wind or pooling around you if it's still.

He has a radius he can hear every sound,

if something (wind, water) is covering some of the sound he's skittish as hell.

His vision is great but he's looking for movement and may blow some off after 15 min.if your'e not eyeballin him.

He is holed up somewhere that his kind have been using these defenses to their best advantage for generations.

Your challenge is to get into his kitchen unheard, unscented and unseen.

Those are the rules.

Rain is your greatest friend for all three.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 10-24-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Lew is right on with the wind checker.

You basically need to walk around with the wind in your face and change direction as the wind does.

The visual will help you learn the wind.

Hunting is plans and strategies with a given set of rules,

break the rules.......start over.

You have a cone of scent blowing down wind or pooling around you if it's still.

He has a radius he can hear every sound,

if something (wind, water) is covering some of the sound he's skittish as hell.

His vision is great but he's looking for movement and may blow some off after 15 min.if your'e not eyeballin him.

He is holed up somewhere that his kind have been using these defenses to their best advantage for generations.

Your challenge is to get into his kitchen unheard, unscented and unseen.

Those are the rules.

Rain is your greatest friend for all three.
Now this is deep

Old 10-24-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Now this is deep

I will study this

Old 10-31-2019, 11:03 AM

Update... I made a decision to get a 308 savage rifle with a scope savage or ruger rifle with scope. Budget reasons. The 308 will give me the knockdown power I'm looking for. Since I do plan do d ok elk in some future hunt.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
watch a movie with a bad ending. That will help prepare you for not filling your tag which is what most people do.
Take a 308. It is a better choice. This is from a person who has hunted since the 1960's, been very successful, and owns quite a number of different rifles chambered in different cartridges.
One last thing ---do not go cheap on the scope or over due the power on it. I suggest, and use on my hunting rifles/pistols, that you get a Leupold. For hunting a 3X9X40 or better yet the VX3i in 3.5X10X40 with duplex reticle, Non-AO, sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards and hold on the animal to have meat in the freezer...………….providing you see a legal animal
Logistically the .308 makes more sense for a newb because the start up costs will be cheaper and needs to be cheap because the OP should burn through a lot of ammo to get to know his gun.
I shot a deer last year with a 6.5 Swede (Tikka T3) and a few years earlier with a .280 Remington (98 action home built gun). The 6.5 was a bang drop, the .280 went maybe 50' then dropped dead. My FIL killed 20+ deer in his life with an open sighted 300 Savage built from a $3.00 Arisaka T99 action. Terminal performance wise, there is no real difference for a guy that is a halfway decent shot.

Oh, I saw that movie too. I think it was called Tag Soup. There have been several sequels too.
Old 11-01-2019, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
Logistically the .308 makes more sense for a newb because the start up costs will be cheaper and needs to be cheap because the OP should burn through a lot of ammo to get to know his gun.
I shot a deer last year with a 6.5 Swede (Tikka T3) and a few years earlier with a .280 Remington (98 action home built gun). The 6.5 was a bang drop, the .280 went maybe 50' then dropped dead. My FIL killed 20+ deer in his life with an open sighted 300 Savage built from a $3.00 Arisaka T99 action. Terminal performance wise, there is no real difference for a guy that is a halfway decent shot.

Oh, I saw that movie too. I think it was called Tag Soup. There have been several sequels too.
Tag soup that's great..lol

Old 11-01-2019, 11:59 AM

regarding wind. also think about thermals
.https://thewesternhuntsman.com/2019/...-thermal-wind/

also 308 will take any animal in lower 48
Old 11-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
regarding wind. also think about thermals
.https://thewesternhuntsman.com/2019/...-thermal-wind/

also 308 will take any animal in lower 48
The article on thermals was eye opening. Thank you

Old 11-06-2019, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Start breaking in your boots now. Get in shape. Hike steep terrain with a heavy backpack, often, between now and then.
Yep, load up your backpack and go for a hike everyday. Get a weighted bar and carry it around like you would a rifle.
Old 11-06-2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Yep, load up your backpack and go for a hike everyday. Get a weighted bar and carry it around like you would a rifle.
Yes yes this is so simple but it works thanks. I'm starting my hikes this week.

Old 11-06-2019, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get a pig tag and go walk in the forest with your rifle. Practice walking quietly. Good exercise. Pine mountain, lockwood valley, san gabriels, Holcomb valley. Or say you are coyote hunting.
Old 11-06-2019, 2:24 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Get a pig tag and go walk in the forest with your rifle. Practice walking quietly. Good exercise. Pine mountain, lockwood valley, san gabriels, Holcomb valley. Or say you are coyote hunting.
Holcomb Valley is two miles behind me and I've never seen a pig there... maybe I'm not quiet enough.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.