Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-07-2011, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

1) Wait till this legislative session is over
2) Do Armored car thing
3) Profit!
4) Legislature removes armored car exception next year
5) Gene's "Package" is exposed
6) Profit!

?

My main fear would be an overreaction from Sacramento. What would really stop them from an outright ban on all "high caps". No rebuild kits, no grandfathering, nothing. A few people would sue, some would leave the State... They'd create a lot of felons who would refuse to turn in/destroy, etc etc.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
Frustration? I for one do not understand the frustration. Seriously it is what it is - this effort is under away and will take as long as it needs to. I want it as bad as teh next person but any effort is better than no effort. Rather than feels frustrated why not feel thankful someone is willing to even do this in the first place.
My frustration is not with CGF or anyone working for it. They have my full support and I donate when I can. My frustration is that because I am on one side of an imaginary line in the dirt, my rights are nearly stripped away from me. My frustration is the system is set up agains restoring my rights so it takes years and large amounts of money to make progress.
Old 11-24-2011, 2:09 PM
Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloth View Post
Wait, are you trying to compare buying an OLL in 2005 to starting up an armored car business? Exactly how hard was it back then to get an OLL?
Sirsloth; ever own one of these $300* delights?

-this (followed by the sealed magwell carbon15) was the state of the art in 2003-2004 iirc-

* receiver only price
Old 11-24-2011, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i'm baffled to what this work around is short of a vending machine accepting suggested donations before dispensing
Old 11-24-2011, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
i'm baffled to what this work around is short of a vending machine accepting suggested donations before dispensing
From what I understand is business can sell them. I'm sure it will be explained in detail when the time comes.
Old 11-24-2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
From the little I've had explained to me, it's so ridiculously esoteric I doubt you could guess. I have no idea who thought of it, but I love it.

Sent from my Galaxy S II. Please overlook any typos.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
At this moment there is no (well almost no) amount of money that would change the priorities to the magazine ban ahead of:

Carry
Lifetime bans on keeping or bearing
Semiautomatic bans
"Safe" Rosters
Limiting sensitive places
Removing "sporting purposes" from GCA
Removing out of stand purchase and possession laws
Protecting the right to purchase handguns for those over 18 and under 21
Stopping ammo registration and shipping restrictions
Limiting waiting periods
Lowering state purchase fees

It fits in somewhere above and will move faster than a couple of items up here, but it's just not as critical as e.g. carry or semiauto bans. People lose their lives or go to jail over those two. Magazine capacity can be worked around until we fix it.

-Gene
Now THERE'S a well-planned priority list!
Old 11-25-2011, 1:24 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
if we had a fund raiser just for this case would it help? say you buy a $30 tshirt and all profits went to support this case (say $24 or so)?

Let me know cause i have the shirt all ready to go!
As a matter of fact, there IS a way you can buy a T-shirt & other F'ing cool schwag that directly supports CGF's legal efforts:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503815
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
All,

We're excited to announce the Grand Opening of the NEW CGF store, and to celebrate what we think is a really cool way to support your rights we're offering a 10% off coupon for all purchases through December 31! Remember, a portion of every purchase is tax-deductible!

We have a great selection of sweet CGF gear ready to fill your stocking, including:
  • Super-fresh "CGF Steamroller Roast" bold blend coffee, shipped direct from the roaster to you
  • NEW tee shirts featuring color "CGF On-Target" artwork
  • Lapel pins
  • "Notice to Law Enforcement" safe magnets and decals
  • Bumper stickers
  • 4" round color decals with "CGF On-Target" artwork
  • Ladies "Bella" fashion tees

Over the next 1.14 weeks, we'll be adding some truly badass stuff that I am positive you'll want under the tree this year! Needless to say, we're here to support "ATF" - the "convenience store" version of ATF, not the government agency. For example, some of the things you should stay tuned for:
  • Zippo 8oz stainless steel hip flask, laser-etched with the CGF logo
  • Zippo lighters, both laser-etched and color CGF logo options
  • 16oz. Brewery glasses featuring color "CGF On-Target" logo art
  • Double old-fashioned drink tumblers with color "CGF On-Target" logo art
  • Shot glasses with color "CGF On-Target" art
  • Black "el grande" 15oz coffee mug with CGF logo
  • Black, reusable grocery bags featuring a white CGF logo (make shoppers at Whole Foods jealous!)
  • Limited-edition CGF challenge coins
  • Limited-edition, top-quality metal license plate frames made by the only American manufacturer left and hand-finished to exacting standards
  • Patches!
  • CGF "bag tags" featuring our "Notice to Law Enforcement" image on one side (like our safe magnets) and a self-laminating information section
  • CGF "Evil Black Espresso" blend coffee

Thanks for shopping at CGF and supporting your 2A rights in the process!

-Brandon

p.s. Here's some pictures of the new digs!

Old 11-25-2011, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i’m baffled to what this work around is short of a vending machine accepting suggested donations before dispensing
As I understand it, the workaround hinges on federal preemption issues.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post
As I understand it, the workaround hinges on federal preemption issues.
its best i am kept in the dark cause i am not clever enough to figure it out and i cant keep a secret

if it is so broad the legal theory would cover multiple other banned items such as nunchucks and ninja stars i'm not holding my breath
Old 12-02-2011, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
its best i am kept in the dark cause i am not clever enough to figure it out and i cant keep a secret

if it is so broad the legal theory would cover multiple other banned items such as nunchucks and ninja stars i'm not holding my breath

No, it won't cover chucks and shuriken, because mere possession of them is criminalized, whereas it's not, for magazines.

There's two workarounds so far as I can tell. Without going into specifics, there are one or two specific paths through which trade may pass that California has absolutely zero regulatory power. Gene's package is focussed on acquiring non-neutered magazines through one of them, but conceivably any item whose importation into California is illegal, but whose possession is not criminalized, and which is not 49-state contraband as well ... yeah, you could bring it into CA the same way.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 12-02-2011, 6:31 PM

Wish all this was in plain english.....

Some idiots are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

"...this isn't a perfect world. It's California."
Old 12-02-2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
Someday you can buy GTRMs. It's complicated. Be patient. Other things take priority. Check back in .

Concise enough for everyone?
Old 12-02-2011, 7:23 PM

So for us not so educated common folk - getting back to the OPs original observation ... Can someone explain how selling 10rnd 10/22 mags somehow gets around the hi-cap mag law??? You guys are leaving me in the dark here.
Old 12-02-2011, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
So for us not so educated common folk - getting back to the OPs original observation ... Can someone explain how selling 10rnd 10/22 mags somehow gets around the hi-cap mag law??? You guys are leaving me in the dark here.
Pretty much all of us are in the dark here. I don't know what the work-around is, but I'd guess Gene selling the 10 rounders was to set him up as a magazine vendor.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 12-02-2011, 7:37 PM

I wonder if the recent changes in the penal code language on magazines concurrent with re-numbering, was somehow related to the extensive discussion of a work around in this thread and others?
Old 12-02-2011, 7:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
I wonder if the recent changes in the penal code language on magazines concurrent with re-numbering, was somehow related to the extensive discussion of a work around in this thread and others?
Even if it were, it's irrelevant.

The renumbering/'clarification' can legally neither extend nor reduce the force of the existing original law. Any changes/actions brought about by such action are unsupportable.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-02-2011, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even if it were, it's irrelevant.

The renumbering/'clarification' can legally neither extend nor reduce the force of the existing original law. Any changes/actions brought about by such action are unsupportable.
But even under the old numbered code, the magazines are nuisances and subject to summary confiscation and destruction unless they were possessed in California prior to January 1, 2000. (And I'm not even sure about that exception.)

Luckily there's no way to tell a grandfathered magazine from one obtained by the work-around... unless it is of a type only manufactured post-2000.
There are certain rights that are not to be subject to popular votes, otherwise they are not fundamental rights. If every fundamental liberty can be stripped away by a majority vote, then it's not a fundamental liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog
When the governor vetoes a bill that would make it a felony to steal a gun, but signs a bill into law that makes it a felony not to register a gun you already legally own, you know something isn't right.
Old 12-02-2011, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
No, it won't cover chucks and shuriken, because mere possession of them is criminalized, whereas it's not, for magazines.

There's two workarounds so far as I can tell. Without going into specifics, there are one or two specific paths through which trade may pass that California has absolutely zero regulatory power. Gene's package is focussed on acquiring non-neutered magazines through one of them, but conceivably any item whose importation into California is illegal, but whose possession is not criminalized, and which is not 49-state contraband as well ... yeah, you could bring it into CA the same way.
Couldn't the legislature just make possession illegal?
Old 12-02-2011, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrandell View Post
Couldn't the legislature just make possession illegal?
Maybe. The issue now is that there are tons of legal preban standard capacity mags out there and generally mags aren't serialed or date-stamped. I really doubt anyone expects owners to fork them over. It's a losing battle.
Old 12-02-2011, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Without going into specifics, there are one or two specific paths through which trade may pass that California has absolutely zero regulatory power. Gene's package is focussed on acquiring non-neutered magazines through one of them, but conceivably any item whose importation into California is illegal, but whose possession is not criminalized, and which is not 49-state contraband as well ... yeah, you could bring it into CA the same way.
That doesn't work because the State Legislature would then be able to ban possession, too (and it would easily pass), but we've been told there's no real workaround by the State government alone.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 12-02-2011, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
That doesn't work because the State Legislature would then be able to ban possession, too (and it would easily pass), but we've been told there's no real workaround by the State government alone.

No, we've been told that there's. Nothing the state could do to block that channel of commerce, which is true for either path. There's always the outright ban as an option. Gene's package wont survive in the face of an outright ban.

But... a ban, absent total confiscation, is not likely to be possible on a non-serialized product, and then you have issues of 4th amendment, etc.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by Peter.Steele; 12-02-2011 at 9:31 PM..
Old 12-02-2011, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
My main fear would be an overreaction from Sacramento. What would really stop them from an outright ban on all "high caps". No rebuild kits, no grandfathering, nothing. A few people would sue, some would leave the State... They'd create a lot of felons who would refuse to turn in/destroy, etc etc.
That would really suck! I have lots of mags from the good old days. Even If I wanted to get rid of them all I would probably miss one. But I am sure that if my place was ever searched they wouldn't miss it. Nightmare!
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 12-02-2011, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
Yes! It would seem that enough hints have been given that our enemies probably have it figured out, but the rank and file CGNer must be kept in the dark.

(Red Cloud)
Old 12-03-2011, 1:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Yes! It would seem that enough hints have been given that our enemies probably have it figured out, but the rank and file CGNer must be kept in the dark.
Probably because as soon as the information is given out everyone will start doing it. CGN'ers aren't really known for their patience haha. I think they want to control the timeline and if everyone starts using this new method then they lose that control.

I say just be happy that they are doing this at all.
Old 12-03-2011, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRichie09 View Post
Probably because as soon as the information is given out everyone will start doing it. CGN'ers aren't really known for their patience haha. I think they want to control the timeline and if everyone starts using this new method then they lose that control.

I say just be happy that they are doing this at all.
Great point!!

(Red Cloud)
Old 12-03-2011, 7:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
It is unfortunate that so many who claim to have knowledge conveyed in confidence seem to think it is acceptable to post so much information. Typically when one is given confidential information it is unwise to blab to the whole world on the Imternet, even if someone else has guessed at the information or even if the source has given hints. Some people just don't know when or how to STFU.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-03-2011, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRichie09 View Post
I don't think this is likely. Gene has said a number of times that to execute his plan there need to be at least one lawsuit to "set the stage."
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-03-2011, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
It is unfortunate that so many who claim to have knowledge conveyed in confidence seem to think it is acceptable to post so much information. Typically when one is given confidential information it is unwise to blab to the whole world on the Imternet, even if someone else has guessed at the information or even if the source has given hints. Some people just don't know when or how to STFU.

So who said anything about "in confidence?"

Old 12-03-2011, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It is unfortunate that so many … seem to think it is acceptable to post so much information.
As I recall, Gene himself has said that he has dropped enough hints for the knowledgeable to put two and two together. Of course, when he does finally spell things out for everyone, I’m sure that someone will disagree with the validity of the workaround.
Old 12-03-2011, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Old 12-03-2011, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No, we've been told that there's. Nothing the state could do to block that channel of commerce, which is true for either path. There's always the outright ban as an option. Gene's package wont survive in the face of an outright ban.

But... a ban, absent total confiscation, is not likely to be possible on a non-serialized product, and then you have issues of 4th amendment, etc.
You honestly think the CA gov would hesitate to seize every single hi cap in possession if that was their only option left?
Old 12-03-2011, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

There are other amendments to consider.
Old 12-03-2011, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
You honestly think the CA gov would hesitate to seize every single hi cap in possession if that was their only option left?

No, not at all. I do think they would balk at the price, though. It would be expensive.

Unless they were declared to be a nuisance, subject to summary seizure and destruction ...

Old 12-03-2011, 9:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No, not at all. I do think they would balk at the price, though. It would be expensive.

Unless they were declared to be a nuisance, subject to summary seizure and destruction ...
Weren't they declared a nuisance?
Old 12-03-2011, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I would expect that whosale confiscation & destruction would be hard to defend, as they aren't a nusance in most other states...
Old 12-03-2011, 9:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's why the legal prep work is necessary.

Proper papers will be waveable.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
can we declare state congress as nuisance
is there a petition for that

I'll start

State congress is a nuisance
Tripper
Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

heh

That was sort of my point.

Old 12-03-2011, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Proper papers will be waveable.