Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Commercial Sales > New Product Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Product Announcements Vendors, share information about your newest products. Only CGN Vendors can start threads in this forum.

Old 02-13-2019, 9:01 AM
Vendor/Retailer

.308 AR Maglock UPDATE

AR Maglock is currently working on the fix

what we know.

Aero Precision M5E1 or any upper that doesn’t have a flat surface where it meets the lower isn’t going to work

Aero upper receiver isn’t as wide as a DPMS so the adjustability that was design in couldn’t accommodate how thin the Aero upper is.

Current production has stopped from AR Maglock as they will accommodate an angle on the upper that is problematic for maglock to be pressed in between the receiver. The top of the Maglock hits the angle so it’s not working.

Shinobi cut an angle on his and he got it to function. The engineer is working with him to get that angle into production so that will take care of that issue

If you know you have an upper receiver that is angled into the lower receiver hold off for a few weeks and they will get the issue resolved. If you have a DPMS pattern you should be good to go

So far no issues with the Kingpin other than the detent and not being able to pull it back with your fingernail but I will be posting a fix for that.

Stay tuned guys. Thanks for your patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp
Old 02-13-2019, 9:05 AM

Default .308 KINGPINS and GEN 4 AR MAGLOCKS NOW AVAILABLE!. LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE!

I’m not 100% sure I know what you’re talking about with the angled surface, but do you know if the CMMG MK3 is good to go?

Old 02-13-2019, 9:27 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default .308 KINGPINS and GEN 4 AR MAGLOCKS NOW AVAILABLE!. LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorousAria View Post
I’m not 100% sure I know what you’re talking about with the angled surface, but do you know if the CMMG MK3 is good to go?

Based on the picture it looks like it will have an issue. It’s marked in red the problematic surface.

It will be resolved shortly but here is a picture to show an example of how the top part of the arm hits the upper receiver preventing it from actuating.

I will update here when all is addressed

MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

Old 02-13-2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohyp View Post
Based on the picture it looks like it will have an issue. It’s marked in red the problematic surface.

It will be resolved shortly but here is a picture to show an example of how the top part of the arm hits the upper receiver preventing it from actuating.

I will update here when all is addressed

Ohh!!! Ok thank you! I’ll wait patiently (not really that patiently) lmao! Thank you for all the hard work!

Old 02-13-2019, 9:52 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorousAria View Post
Ohh!!! Ok thank you! I’ll wait patiently (not really that patiently) lmao! Thank you for all the hard work!

No, thank you. It is priority so it will get fixed fairly quickly.

Once the parts are in anodize I will update you guys with approximate ETA but we need to get programming to the machinist first!

Thanks again for not patiently waiting! Haha

Last edited by protohyp; 02-13-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Old 02-13-2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavianr View Post
I’m having the same problem... the mag release is too long for it. So if the action is open or not it releases the mag
Hi guys sorry I don't spend much time on here and haven't checked back in a couple of days. As Protohyp stated I have been in contact with him and he got the engineer in contact with me as well.

The engineer is currently making several different test versions of varying length posts and varying degrees of relief cuts on the top of the arm so it clears the side of the upper receiver based on my measurements and pics. I got mine to work by customizing it in three different places. I will explain what I did below but I'm not suggestion anybody do this just letting you know what needs to be done.

The first thing I had to do to get mine to work properly was shorten the stainless steel post by approximately 0.10 inches. This put the arm in the proper place just about touching the surface of my receiver's so that the mag wouldn't release when the receiver's are closed.

The second thing I had to do was file down and flatten the step down transition area between the two sizes so that the bigger diameter side is lowered down to the level of the smaller diameter side. This had to be done because after shortening the length of the post to get the proper width so the maglock would work properly and not release the mag with the receiver's closed, the new location where the set screw would tighten down was right on the step down transition. So I had to file the high side down to the low side so the set screw could tighten down on an even surface.

The third and final thing I had to do was file back the top of the maglock arm so that it was angled away from the upper receiver. This had to be done because when using a Kingpin or other minimal opening device when you open the reciever's and you press the button to release the mag the most vertical portion of the maglock arm hits the upper receiver (at least on AERO M5's) not allowing it to travel far enough to release the mag. I will try to post pics soon to make this more clear.

I'm not telling anyone to do this themselves, I'm just letting you know what I did to get mine to work.

The Engineer and myself are going to try and meet in the next week or so. He will be bringing several mock ups so we can try them on my rifle and get it dialed in exactly.
Old 02-13-2019, 5:15 PM

Hopefully you can see these. Click the links to see them.

One shows the angle that has to be put in the upper arm to clear the upper receiver.

The other shows the shortened post end and the filed down step transition area. You can also see the circle shape indentations from the new set screw location after the shortening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190211_192421.jpg (71.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20190211_230341.jpg (88.1 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Shinobi9922; 02-13-2019 at 5:19 PM..
Old 02-13-2019, 5:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks for that Shinobi...

This will really help the engineer!

Old 02-13-2019, 7:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

.308 Kingpin Detent hack (will also work with AR15)

When you’re installing the Kingpin before reinstalling the grip (.308) or buttplate/castle nut (AR15) set it up like the picture below

Cut the excess spring off and then install grip/buttplate/castle nut

Now you don’t have to use your fingernail to grab the detent or a screwdriver for the .308

Hope this helps

Old 02-13-2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
.308 Kingpin Detent hack (will also work with AR15)

When you’re installing the Kingpin before reinstalling the grip (.308) or buttplate/castle nut (AR15) set it up like the picture below

Cut the excess spring off and then install grip/buttplate/castle nut

Now you don’t have to use your fingernail to grab the detent or a screwdriver for the .308

Hope this helps

Yeah I did this the other night after we talked about it worked perfect.

Thanks again
Old 02-13-2019, 9:27 PM

First of all, big props to Protohyp for getting the product out and all the support.

I just wanted to post my experience with my Fulton 308 (Upper and lower). The Gen 4 kit took a bit to get installed just right, but in the end works just fine. No issues there.

However, I ran into a small compatibility issue with the Kingpin. The Fulton lower receiver has a "ledge" (for lack of a better word) which doesn't allow for the spring to sit flush against the receiver. It is possible to install everything, but there is noticable resistance (spring rubbing against kingpin). It technically functions, but is less than an ideal situation (parts wearing against each other constantly).

I've attached a picture of what it looks like. I am considering machining the receiver a bit so the spring can sit flush. I'm also thinking I might be able to 3d print a small spacer to level that area out, but I'm not sure I will be able to find a spring short/strong enough to work in the remaining space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190213_214501-01.jpg (8.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by theDR; 02-13-2019 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Added picture
Old 02-13-2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDR View Post
First of all, big props to Protohyp for getting the product out and all the support.

I just wanted to post my experience with my Fulton 308 (Upper and lower). The Gen 4 kit took a bit to get installed just right, but in the end works just fine. No issues there.

However, I ran into a small compatibility issue with the Kingpin. The Fulton lower receiver has a "ledge" (for lack of a better word) which doesn't allow for the spring to sit flush against the receiver. It is possible to install everything, but there is noticable resistance (spring rubbing against kingpin). It technically functions, but is less than an ideal situation (parts wearing against each other constantly).

I've attached a picture of what it looks like. I am considering machining the receiver a bit so the spring can sit flush. I'm also thinking I might be able to 3d print a small spacer to level that area out, but I'm not sure I will be able to find a spring short/strong enough to work in the remaining space.

If you print any extras, I’ll buy a few.
Old 02-13-2019, 9:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDR View Post

This is the nightmare of trying to provide for the .308 platform.

Every receiver is different and all contact surfaces are different from receiver to receiver.

I think your idea of the spacer would work but you could also try century spring or Jones spring and see if a spring with a different wire diameter may allow it to fit in the recess before the ledge. The diameter of the pin is .276 so if you are able to measure the diameter of the recess and subtract you might be able to come up with a wire diameter that may fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
This is the nightmare of trying to provide for the .308 platform.

Every receiver is different and all contact surfaces are different from receiver to receiver.

I think your idea of the spacer would work but you could also try century spring or Jones spring and see if a spring with a different wire diameter may allow it to fit in the recess before the ledge. The diameter of the pin is .276 so if you are able to measure the diameter of the recess and subtract you might be able to come up with a wire diameter that may fit.
Yup totally understand. I've seen a few different 308 lowers and they all are quite different in design. Really appreciate the hard work you put in to get this far though.

And good idea about the spring, I will do some research and see I can find something that works.
Old 02-14-2019, 6:52 PM

Hi all, I'm a complete newb here, working on making an inherited Ruger SR-762 copasetic with CA laws... Please be patient if I get my wording wrong.

Like Shinobi, my FFL dealer and I have found that the stainless steel post on the magazine catch is just too long, by roughly 0.1 inch (will measure exactly later). Also, a flat face will have to be added / extended to the post for the set screw to sit firmly.

We haven't seen what other issues may be involved, as my FFL dealer is skittish about removing THAT much from the post without first discussing it and getting guidance from the good folks at AR Maglock. (He's wondering if they just have some shorter posts available, or if I can get a new post free/cheap if we take too much off.)

I'll mail my issues direct to the company, but if protohyp has some feedback here, that would be welcome too...

That's it for now - despite the difficulty, I really appreciate AR Maglock working hard on providing solutions for us Californians!
Old 02-14-2019, 8:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponent View Post
Hi all, I'm a complete newb here, working on making an inherited Ruger SR-762 copasetic with CA laws... Please be patient if I get my wording wrong.

Like Shinobi, my FFL dealer and I have found that the stainless steel post on the magazine catch is just too long, by roughly 0.1 inch (will measure exactly later). Also, a flat face will have to be added / extended to the post for the set screw to sit firmly.

We haven't seen what other issues may be involved, as my FFL dealer is skittish about removing THAT much from the post without first discussing it and getting guidance from the good folks at AR Maglock. (He's wondering if they just have some shorter posts available, or if I can get a new post free/cheap if we take too much off.)

I'll mail my issues direct to the company, but if protohyp has some feedback here, that would be welcome too...

That's it for now - despite the difficulty, I really appreciate AR Maglock working hard on providing solutions for us Californians!

We are working on a shorter post. I’d say just hold out for that. It should cover the smaller spectrum and hopefully will be figured out shortly

Old 02-15-2019, 8:39 AM

I'm meeting with the engineer in a couple of hours. He is bringing several mock ups based on my measurements and pics I provided him. So this should be figured out shortly. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-15-2019, 4:30 PM

Met with the engineer today. It went really good. One of the mockups he made which used the dimensions I gave him worked perfect for my Aero M5. He incorporated all three modifications that I had done to get my kit to work into the mockups also. He has what he needs now so they can start making this new updated version.
Old 02-16-2019, 4:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi9922 View Post
Met with the engineer today. It went really good. One of the mockups he made which used the dimensions I gave him worked perfect for my Aero M5. He incorporated all three modifications that I had done to get my kit to work into the mockups also. He has what he needs now so they can start making this new updated version.

Sounds awesome. Thanks for working that out

Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
We are working on a shorter post. I’d say just hold out for that. It should cover the smaller spectrum and hopefully will be figured out shortly
I sent pictures of my Ruger SR-762 situation to the AR Maglock company e-mail account. Hopefully there is enough info in them (I included a ruler as best I could) to determine what to do to make your kit fit that gun.

Thanks so much for your dedication to making solutions for this difficult situation!
Old 02-17-2019, 1:05 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I sent pictures of my Ruger SR-762 situation to the AR Maglock company e-mail account. Hopefully there is enough info in them (I included a ruler as best I could) to determine what to do to make your kit fit that gun.

Thanks so much for your dedication to making solutions for this difficult situation!
can you post that here as well? I appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 02-17-2019, 2:35 PM

Default Detail picts on SR-762 geometry WRT initial AR Maglock Gen4 for AR-10

OK, here are 2 pictures showing the how the existing AR Maglock Gen4 kit interfaces to a Ruger SR-762, and 2 pictures giving a bit of info of the geometry of the SR-762 upper receiver.

1. This is how far the magazine catch post sticks out when it is pushed in as much as possible by my thumb on the opposite side:

2. When I attach the (not sure if right name) locking arm to the post, this is the gap between it and the lower receiver. (I couldn't get the ruler ticks to line up, but the ruler is sitting flush on both the receiver and the locking arm.)

3. AR-762 upper receiver, measured area of "flat" that lines up with lower receiver before expanding out at an angle (not a curve).

4. 3. AR-762 upper receiver, showing the brief flat portion that meets with the lower, and the angle it then extends out on.
Old 02-17-2019, 2:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
OK, here are 2 pictures showing the how the existing AR Maglock Gen4 kit interfaces to a Ruger SR-762, and 2 pictures giving a bit of info of the geometry of the SR-762 upper receiver.

1. This is how far the magazine catch post sticks out when it is pushed in as much as possible by my thumb on the opposite side:

2. When I attach the (not sure if right name) locking arm to the post, this is the gap between it and the lower receiver. (I couldn't get the ruler ticks to line up, but the ruler is sitting flush on both the receiver and the locking arm.)

3. AR-762 upper receiver, measured area of "flat" that lines up with lower receiver before expanding out at an angle (not a curve).

4. 3. AR-762 upper receiver, showing the brief flat portion that meets with the lower, and the angle it then extends out on.
thanks for that.

I do believe that you will be able to benefit from the Aero version of the Gen 4

Old 02-17-2019, 2:42 PM

Important: I just noticed in the pictures that the distance on the ruler between the end of it and the first mm tick seems a bit short - please take that into account....
Old 02-17-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Going off picture #2 that you provided you have a 3mm gap between the end of the arm and the outside edge of your receiver. 3mm is 0.118 inches. The new one will be shortened approximately 0.10 in comparison but still have the 0.20 inch step down length. So it will either work or at worst case scenario you have to remove 0.01 to 0.02 inches off the length which can easily be done with a cheap file in less than a minute. That would be completely safe and not negatively affect anything with the new one being made.

The new one is also going to have the upper part of the arm cut at an angle of either 45 or 60 degrees. After talking with the engineer I think he is leaning towards 60 so that it will clear all types of different uppers. 60 degrees is a pretty severe angle and there is no way your upper will hit it. So you should be fine there too.
Old 02-22-2019, 6:19 PM

What would you recommend those of us that bought the Gen4 maglock for our Aero M5's?

I already installed mine on my M5 lower but didn't know about the problem because I haven't installed my upper yet.
Old 02-22-2019, 7:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleous View Post
What would you recommend those of us that bought the Gen4 maglock for our Aero M5's?

I already installed mine on my M5 lower but didn't know about the problem because I haven't installed my upper yet.

Email AR Maglock at info@armaglock.com with your order number and let them know you need to exchange for the shorter arm.

Just hold on to it for now though until they actually have the inventory for Aero which should be ver soon.

I’ll update all that info here

Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 PM

Does the Kingpin or Hyperswitch function with the Magpul B.A.D Lever or is their no point in adding one?
Old 02-27-2019, 1:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Does the Kingpin or Hyperswitch function with the Magpul B.A.D Lever or is their no point in adding one?

I run Kingpin with the BAD lever and I’m much faster with it because my support hand can already be up on the rail closing the receivers while the right index finger can drop the bolt.

I’d say it shaved .5 seconds off my reload time

Old 02-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I run Kingpin with the BAD lever and I’m much faster with it because my support hand can already be up on the rail closing the receivers while the right index finger can drop the bolt.

Thanks for the info. What about the hyperswitch?
Old 02-28-2019, 12:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Thanks for the info. What about the hyperswitch?

If we are talking about speed then Kingpin is your game

Hyperswitch is fastest when you shave the bolt catch notch. Because you’re going to be charging the rifle and manipulation of the bolt catch is almost unnecessary, BAD lever or bolt catch assists are sort of useless

Old 03-01-2019, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Would the AR MagLock Gen 2 w/ KingPin (AR-15) work with this: https://www.smithtactics.com/product...g-bolt-release

If so, it would be bad @ss and quick as phuck.

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within." - - General of the Army, Douglas MacArthur, 13 June 1951
Old 03-01-2019, 8:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy86 View Post
Would the AR MagLock Gen 2 w/ KingPin (AR-15) work with this: https://www.smithtactics.com/product...g-bolt-release

If so, it would be bad @ss and quick as phuck.

I tried that little piece of machinery and it wasn’t working properly. Could only get it to drop the bolt once.

Old 03-11-2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Email AR Maglock at info@armaglock.com with your order number and let them know you need to exchange for the shorter arm.

Just hold on to it for now though until they actually have the inventory for Aero which should be ver soon.

I’ll update all that info here

Any word on status of the gen 4s for Aero M5?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 2:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoJockey View Post
Any word on status of the gen 4s for Aero M5?

Everything got dropped off at Anodizing so should be available here in March soon

Old 03-11-2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Everything got dropped off at Anodizing so should be available here in March soon

Thanks for the update!

Old 03-11-2019, 7:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoJockey View Post
Thanks for the update!

Sorry. I made a mistake. Tha anodizers have the stuff for Gen 4 5.56/.223 Arms. The .308 stuff for Aero M5 is in production now.

Old 03-19-2019, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Hello,

For the KingPin and those that choose the black KingPin as oppose to the silver. Is it possible to send them with a black spring? If i order another one can you send me one with a black spring?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 9:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire 5th View Post
Hello,

For the KingPin and those that choose the black KingPin as oppose to the silver. Is it possible to send them with a black spring? If i order another one can you send me one with a black spring?

Thanks.

Sorry. We don’t have any black springs. It’s hard enough to keep the tolerance tight that if we added a custom coating to it it might cause issues.

Old 03-20-2019, 4:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Gen 4 Maglock kits now available for .223/5.56. Adjustable width for off sized receivers. Also adjust it for out of state use without removing the maglock. Couple it with the Kingpin for the absolute fastest mag changes and malfunction clearing capabilities!