Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi0phile View Post
Would this be a venue that could be utilized to further my quest for a CCL? Specifically, ask the Police Chief directly if living in my neighborhood would provide me with good cause for a CCL?
San Carlos disbanded their muni-PD and folded it into the Sheriff's office. This sort of general concern isn't enough to rise to the level of "good cause" in San Mateo though. You need something more specifically applicable to you.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-29-2012, 7:33 AM

Thanks Gene, exactly the info I was looking for.

I was aware that scpd was rolled into the sheriff's dept. so I did think it was odd todays meeting is with the "chief". Maybe scpd is their own little club inside of the san matron sheriffs dept lol.
Old 02-29-2012, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrab View Post
Just FYI, it took me one day to get an "interview" which consisted of me calling and asking when I could come in. I did my livescan on 2/15 and got an email today that my results were back and my application is being forwarded up the chain. We'll see how long it takes to get a decision, but things seem to be moving pretty fast.
I'm annoyed. I was in there an hour before you and still nothing.

Oh well. Patience is a virtue, I suppose.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 02-29-2012, 9:47 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhu View Post
I didn't know at the time that I can hand it directly to the SM Sheriff. I just stopped at the Belmont PD to ask about this and they have handed me the application. When I dropped it off, they didn't really interview me, just collected it and said thanks.

Now I wonder what to do next. Shell I go back to Belmont PD and ask for status or go to the sheriff office with a new application.
Update, Belmont PD is returning my application saying that I should have filled pages 11-14. I think this is wrong. It says so on the application itself and also on the application from the Sheriff office. So I think I will take this opportunity to withdraw it and take it directly to the Sheriff office. It seems at the sheriff office they are more familiar with the process .
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Update, Belmont PD is returning my application saying that I should have filled pages 11-14. I think this is wrong. It says so on the application itself and also on the application from the Sheriff office. So I think I will take this opportunity to withdraw it and take it directly to the Sheriff office. It seems at the sheriff office they are more familiar with the process .
Be sure to go to the sheriff's office on a Tuesday or Wednesday, as those are the days Tom Merson is there to handle your request. You can even call ahead and make an appointment so you can get your livescan done as well. If you need the number PM me.
Old 03-23-2012, 8:15 AM

Got a call at home late yesterday while I was still at the office. Application approved, range/class date scheduled for 5/6. Just need to send them the other $100 and show up with guns, ammo and holsters.

Maybe I missed it in the application, but what is the course of fire? (I was a little too giddy to remember to ask the lady and now she's not answering her phone.)
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.

Last edited by edwardm; 03-23-2012 at 8:47 AM.. Reason: Brain-o/type-o
Old 03-23-2012, 9:38 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
Got a call at home late yesterday while I was still at the office. Application approved, range/class date scheduled for 5/6. Just need to send them the other $100 and show up with guns, ammo and holsters.

Maybe I missed it in the application, but what is the course of fire? (I was a little too giddy to remember to ask the lady and now she's not answering her phone.)
The details for the course of fire is in the original packet I got from Tom. PM me if you need a copy. There was a thread with description from someone who actually took the class recently. I just can't find it anymore.

How long did it take from original application to approval?

Congratulations, hope to join soon-
Old 03-23-2012, 9:49 AM

Quote:
The details for the course of fire is in the original packet I got from Tom. PM me if you need a copy. There was a thread with description from someone who actually took the class recently. I just can't find it anymore.

How long did it take from original application to approval?

Congratulations, hope to join soon-
All I have is the model app, so it's not county-specific and probably was stripped out. I drove down to Belmont PD and got a copy of their app and all it says is bring at least 36 rounds per listed firearm, while the Sheriff's dept told me this morning to bring "at least" 50 per listed firearm. I'll make some more calls and see who has that fo and then post here for posterity.

So far I'm about 5 weeks into the process. It looks like the longest wait is going to be between approval and the training, which looks like about 7 weeks. Plenty of time to brush up.
Old 03-26-2012, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
All I have is the model app, so it's not county-specific and probably was stripped out. I drove down to Belmont PD and got a copy of their app and all it says is bring at least 36 rounds per listed firearm, while the Sheriff's dept told me this morning to bring "at least" 50 per listed firearm. I'll make some more calls and see who has that fo and then post here for posterity.
So far I'm about 5 weeks into the process. It looks like the longest wait is going to be between approval and the training, which looks like about 7 weeks. Plenty of time to brush up.
its 48, afaik
Old 03-26-2012, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
its 48, afaik
The lady that called me was not well versed on the training aspect and couldn't give me the details I wanted. I know now that it's strings of shots totaling 48 rounds per pistol, and I guess they figure "50" is a nice round number.

Do you know if they use a B27(the politically correct version), a "Q" or something else?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The lady that called me was not well versed on the training aspect and couldn't give me the details I wanted. I know now that it's strings of shots totaling 48 rounds per pistol, and I guess they figure "50" is a nice round number.

Do you know if they use a B27(the politically correct version), a "Q" or something else?
Its not a B27, TQ15 maybe?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM

I have a residence in Belmont. A couple of months ago the house was broken in to in the middle of the day. My wife and daughter are horrified. They took all of our guns, TVs, cash and more. Would this be a good enough cause in San Mateo County?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

NO, In home is already a right and there is no need for an LTC in the home.

It would be better to tailor or present your GCS in an everyday, everywhere way, outside of the home.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm412 View Post
I have a residence in Belmont. A couple of months ago the house was broken in to in the middle of the day. My wife and daughter are horrified. They took all of our guns, TVs, cash and more. Would this be a good enough cause in San Mateo County?

No, plus they will figure, since they took all your guns, you will have no need for a carry license since you will have nothing to carry.

On a serious note, hope that your family was not home at the time and all is well now.

Must look out for the bad guys now as I am only down the road from you. It seems that this area is starting pick up on the crime rate. Damn, looks like I am going to have to start locking my doors.

- I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...
Old 03-28-2012, 1:38 PM

That is what I thought. We bought a new home in Lake County and will be moving my primary residence there. I will just apply in Lake County then. I hear all you have to say there is self defence.
Old 03-28-2012, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4alex View Post
Damn, looks like I am going to have to start locking my doors.
You dont lock your doors? yay!
Old 03-28-2012, 1:49 PM

Actually the police told me there is a gang from the east bay that is robbing houses in Belmont and San Carlos. Up to 3-4 a week.
Old 03-31-2012, 5:23 PM

Well I got my denial letter today saying that I did not meet the criteria set out by the San Mateo Sheriff. It included a number to call saying that I can have an appeal in person. I could really use some help from one of the experts on how to go about this.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Is there any updates on the "good cause" statements for San Mateo county?

I'm also curious if anyone knows of the Sheriff is now compliant with SB610.
Old 04-06-2012, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
Is there any updates on the "good cause" statements for San Mateo county?

I'm also curious if anyone knows of the Sheriff is now compliant with SB610.
The actual status on the GC's is Brandon's department. Recently, only heightened cause GC's are working. I do know that the sheriff is aware of SB-610 and based on prior actions I fully expect them to be compliant.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 04-30-2012, 8:59 AM
CGN Contributor

Should take about 6 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
The actual status on the GC's is Brandon's department. Recently, only heightened cause GC's are working. I do know that the sheriff is aware of SB-610 and based on prior actions I fully expect them to be compliant.

-Gene
Any sample of heightened cause GC by any chance? I am planning to apply for San Mateo. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbaran View Post
Any sample of heightened cause GC by any chance? I am planning to apply for San Mateo. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Think of it this way - heightened cause implies heightened risk. So ask: why are you at any greater risk of having violence visited upon you, compared to Joe Random? If you can articulate facts and circumstances that put you at some enhanced risk, you have determined your enhanced good cause.
Old 06-08-2012, 3:44 PM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default LTC on the way !!!!

I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to "taperxz" He has been very helpfull with guiding me through the red tape As of now All of my paperwork has been aproved all I have left to do is go Shoot.
Old 06-08-2012, 4:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good to hear! Your good cause surely met the standard and was articulated well. I never really doubted you getting it. Congrats!
Old 06-08-2012, 5:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you have any further questions now that you're approved, don't hesitate. There are a few of us who've been through the shoot recently. Bottom line is that if you know your 4 rules and can basically shoot, you'll have fun.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 06-08-2012, 7:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you have any further questions now that you're approved, don't hesitate. There are a few of us who've been through the shoot recently. Bottom line is that if you know your 4 rules and can basically shoot, you'll have fun.
-Gene
I think the only way to fail the shooting is if you drop your loaded gun
Old 06-08-2012, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD1 View Post
I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU to "taperxz" He has been very helpfull with guiding me through the red tape As of now All of my paperwork has been aproved all I have left to do is go Shoot.
Congratulations.

It almost makes me want to move.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-09-2012, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD1 View Post
The only part that sucked about the qualification was the sand. There was no table convenient to use, so I put my range bag and ammo cans on the ground along with most everyone else. Prepare for a deep cleaning after class.

Without CGF I believe none of this would be possible. Send $$ - either an outright donation, via the Amazon link or the CGF store, etc.

Has anyone here ever carried at the San Mateo County Fair? County exempts LTC holders from their general carry prohibition, but I don't expect the greeters to know that, should there be an issue. I don't think they wand, but I can't remember from last year.
Old 06-09-2012, 6:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

ASD, knows where to send his donations. It appears he d onated to the forum for being a great resource, and I expect him to do a little something for CGF too. When I helped it was for CGF.
Old 06-10-2012, 3:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Has anyone here ever carried at the San Mateo County Fair? County exempts LTC holders from their general carry prohibition, but I don't expect the greeters to know that, should there be an issue. I don't think they wand, but I can't remember from last year.
I carried there without incident last year.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 06-10-2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I carried there without incident last year.

-Gene
I carried there without incident* yesterday. Gracias for the feedback, regardless of timing.

* - Well, I think I got made due to a wardrobe malfunction that was beyond my control (small children, not mine, with very grabby hands at the NPRA - National Pig Racing Association).
Old 06-11-2012, 9:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
* - Well, I think I got made due to a wardrobe malfunction that was beyond my control (small children, not mine, with very grabby hands at the NPRA - National Pig Racing Association).
That guy is quite the ham...

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 06-12-2012, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

Any word on when good clause will be available?

Unfortunately, my wish to have a CCW to defend myself won't be enough in this county.
Old 07-17-2012, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Since I live in SMC and have heard a lot of things about being the easiest place to get an LTC, I guess we're the most "gun-friendly" county in the Bay Area?

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 07-17-2012, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

From what I understand you have to have a good reason.

IE: I drive with lots of a cash, I am a doctor who prescribes drugs, I work late at night in a bad area and own a business that sells expensive goods, I am witness in a drug trafficking case, etc.

Self defense isn't good enough. You must expand and justify the self defense
Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 PM

Hello neighbors, quick question. Was there ever any follow up to the public posting of license holders names in SM?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesbox View Post
Hello neighbors, quick question. Was there ever any follow up to the public posting of license holders names in SM?
Patch took it down.
Old 07-18-2012, 5:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
Since I live in SMC and have heard a lot of things about being the easiest place to get an LTC, I guess we're the most "gun-friendly" county in the Bay Area?
We are the most friendly in the Bay Area. Unfortunately that is not a very high bar to clear. As Wireless said, you do need elevated risk to be granted a license.
Old 08-06-2012, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Natrab,

Sorry to hear, what was your "good cause"?

Was it denied for that or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrab View Post
Well I got my denial letter today saying that I did not meet the criteria set out by the San Mateo Sheriff. It included a number to call saying that I can have an appeal in person. I could really use some help from one of the experts on how to go about this.