Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 06-15-2013, 5:26 PM

Default Starting pistol recommendation please

My daughter is 6 years old. Average size and strength. Can you recommend a good starter .22 pistol? Thanks.

"Somewhere, Something Incredible is Waiting to be Known" -Carl Sagan

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 06-15-2013, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Ruger SR22. Only one I've shot, only one I cant put my 2¢ in about.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Ruger Mark III and Ruger 22/45. Shot both and like them. Never shot the SR22 yet. Any good?

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 PM

for the small hands, probably the ruger sr22
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghere2c View Post
for the small hands, probably the ruger sr22
I was really leaning towards this one except that the DA pull is much too heavy and I can't seem to find any kit out there to lighten it to a SA pull.

"We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” -Archilochus, Greek Soldier
Old 06-16-2013, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

You posted starting and at 6 years old would recommend a single shot 22 bolt rifle like a Chipmunk type and start with 22 shorts or the Colibri ammo. MUZZLE CONTROL.
Old 06-17-2013, 7:55 AM
Banned

ruger sr22
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Something fairly lightweight, Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. Even better, but may be tough to find, a little S&W j frame .22 like a model 34.
Old 06-17-2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03fatboy View Post
Something fairly lightweight, Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. Even better, but may be tough to find, a little S&W j frame .22 like a model 34.
hmmm, haven't thought about a revolver before. That's something I will have to look into that.

Old 07-15-2013, 6:34 PM

Default S&W 422

My daughter liked my S&W model 41 but could not heft it.
Set her up with an S&W 422. The 422 takes the same mags as the 41 but is extremely light due to the alloy frame.

The bad news...... You'll have to search for one. S&W no longer makes them so a local PPT is the only way to own one in CA. The black 422 and it's silver brother the 622 do come up from time to time.

You're allowed to buy a 422, Ive enough of those. But leave the 622's for me, I'm still looking.

Barry
Old 07-16-2013, 4:41 AM

I started out on a Remington Model 12 and a .22 LR semi-auto at about that age. I could not pull the slide on the pistol. But, no worries, my Dad cocked it for me.
After a short amount of time I was able to rack the slide myself.
The Model 12 was bigger than I was, but with a little arm workout I was able to hold it. The pistol was easy to hold up.

With a mix of .38 and .32 revolvers and a couple of shotguns tossed in for fun.

I asked my Dad, nay, I demanded which ones I wanted to try.

Couple of years later when I wasn't afraid of being bowled over I started shooting the 30-30. Short while later I was shooting the 30-06.

If I was you, I would ask HER what she wants to shoot. A kid will pretty much know what they are capable of doing by that age.
She might even want to try your AR if that is indeed a picture of you shooting one, I would have if my Dad had owned one.

Who cares if she can hold it up. I didn't but I still shot them. The shotguns and rifles were bigger than I was but I did not care.

My advice to you is take her to where you shoot take a variety of firearms and shoot them then ask her if she wants to try it. If you have not already done this.
You can tell by if she is eager to try. Help her hold it if necessary. Lay it on a bench or whatever and let her rip with it.
If she is bent on a pistol start her on one she wants. As always, ask her what she wants whether she can pull the slide or not.

If she is bent on a particular one and she cannot hold it up tell her as soon as she can hold it and control it it is hers. In the meantime until she gets used to it use this lighter one.
She will start building the strength to use a heavier one on her own if she indeed gets bitten by the bug!

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 07-16-2013 at 5:08 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 8:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

S&W 34 in 4" BBL.
Old 07-29-2013, 2:01 PM
CGSSA Associate

wherever it is start her off on a bench that will giver her time to get familiar with the gun and operating it before having to worry about holding it up...
Old 07-29-2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minichnk View Post
wherever it is start her off on a bench that will giver her time to get familiar with the gun and operating it before having to worry about holding it up...
I thought about that and we may end up going that route but for now she'll just shoot the way dad does because that is all she has trained in. So, it might be strange to her if I start making her sit on a bench and shoot.

Old 07-29-2013, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Nice pic. Get a Suunto on her wrist and you're GTG.
Old 07-30-2013, 6:41 AM

I second the idea of a rifle. It's imperative that proper respect is taught and there is more control afforded to the rifle. Pistols are not a good way to go with children. IMHO. Teach her good skills and safety and she can apply it to anything she wants in the future.
Old 11-30-2013, 2:35 PM

I agree a small bolt action rifle to start. My daughter is 7 and she does really well with her savage rascal. I do own a SR22 but she is still not ready for the pistol. It is SA/DA so the trigger is not the issue. The rascal has an adjustable trigger. Right now it is set as heavy as it can go. She has shot enough and is getting really good at aiming. I now let her operate the bolt. I still put the round in for her but she can do the rest.
If I was going to get a starter pistol for her to use I would go with the Phoenix arms hp22. Small light cheap.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk