Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-14-2012, 9:58 PM

What was the good cause you put on your application, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me if you don't want it out in the open.
Old 02-15-2012, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
What was the good cause you put on your application, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me if you don't want it out in the open.
Basically.....for self-defense and defense of my wife and two daughters while camping, hiking and off-road excursions. Also that I prefer not to openly carry even where I am allowed to do so.
Old 03-08-2012, 4:22 PM

Oh Placer ...

If you think getting a CCW in Placer takes a while, you should try modifying one. =/
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 AM

At this point should I write a letter requesting a review of my previously denied application? If so what should it say?

Old 03-21-2012, 3:40 PM

You should ask CGF about that. Placer seems to be going backwards... at least in regards to efficiency.

I'm going on ~2 months just to add a pistol.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM

With all that CGFoundation has/is doing the last I expect is help on my letter. I'm good with help from the brains of CGForum... Here's a start.

Dear Aristocrats,

My name is... I was overcharged... this is against the public policy as statues _______ reflect .... I am not a danger to the public or my family as in the case of your compatriot the SF Sheriff... please allow me to unlock my guns and insert the mag as it is much safer for my family this way.

Sorry if I seem that I am no longer taking this seriously. I am just feeling disenfranchised. LUC for me I guess. The funny thing is the "lovely" Elizabeth wont return my polite calls. Far cry from Jessica this one is.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM

SO according to the online interview booking system they are SIX months out on interviews?? Ok, it is what it is.... so I made a livescan appt. for 35 days later...hoping for an approval, only to receive an email today cancelling my appt. because they said you have to make it after the interview and approval?? However according to the online booking for livescans they are allready booked up till May. So you have to wait two more months (if your lucky) after you get an approval letter to get a livesacan...that doesn't sound right, those livescan people just sit in an office all day, can they really be booked two months out?? Why can't you just call and make an appt. like any layman would?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

can you only get the livescan at one place? I know the Lincoln Police Station has a livescan, but not sure if that would be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 03-29-2012, 1:54 PM

Typically yes, but it looks like they have placer sherrifs dpt. written on the livescan request form indicating they can only do it there.....doesn't sound right that they'd make you wait three months to scan huh?
Old 04-02-2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanchevy View Post
SO according to the online interview booking system they are SIX months out on interviews?? Ok, it is what it is.... so I made a livescan appt. for 35 days later...hoping for an approval, only to receive an email today cancelling my appt. because they said you have to make it after the interview and approval?? However according to the online booking for livescans they are allready booked up till May. So you have to wait two more months (if your lucky) after you get an approval letter to get a livesacan...that doesn't sound right, those livescan people just sit in an office all day, can they really be booked two months out?? Why can't you just call and make an appt. like any layman would?
I got a call two weeks ago moving my appointment up from 4/17 to several time options and settled on this Thursday at 9am.

I think they added an additional day, Thursdays, for interviews. I did look at the online scheduler and it did indicate only Tuesdays were available and they were into November.

I'd call and see if they have anything sooner. The online scheduler doesn't reflect Thursdays being available at all.
Old 04-05-2012, 4:52 PM

I had my appointment this morning and it went really well.

A couple of things he told me: 1) my good cause statement was good. I typed it out on a separate sheet of paper and included that I understood the gravity and seriousness that the privilege of carrying a firearm carries with it. He said "looks like a good cause to me" which was encouraging.
2) they have added an extra day due to the volume to get more people through the process.
3) Live scan is very busy. They will call me with my appointment. I checked the online scheduler and they are no longer taking online appointments.

The gal he said would call me has gone from patrol to handling live scan appointments. They are adding more people to this process and when you do that it takes a little time to adjust.

The online scheduler for initial appointments currently doesn't reflect the additional day added and live scan is now offline. They are bringing extra people in to handle the volume. This all points to that they are doing what they can to get everyone through the system as quickly as they can.

I think it will just be a matter of patience but it sure feels like they have upped the importance of this process..just my opinion.

So appointment conducted on April 5th...I'll let you know if I get approved and how far out my live scan appointment is.
Old 04-05-2012, 5:39 PM

I haven't mentioned this here yet, but I applied again back in January. I hadn't thought I would say anything about it until I had a response whether of denial or approval. As it turns out, I still have had no answer. This time around the interviewer spent almost an hour with me and was very open an honest, even showing me a printout of my "record" letting me know that they had nothing official about the "confrontation" I had with a road rager which proved to be the reason for my previous denial and was a little perplexed that it might have a bearing on a decision when it was nothing officially reported. He was also clear to make sure I knew my file was thick with previous applications and notes and he did not review it all, but was only concerned with my official police printout. In fact, all it seemed that was on my history was one traffic citation and one incident where I called the police to report a person threatening me bodily harm a few years ago. If there was more, I admit, I am no pro at reading a report, and although he didn't go over it line by line with me... As he showed it to me, he suggested there was nothing he felt on my official record to cause concern. He then was also clear to point out that he was not the deciding authority, but was also clear in saying that he believed in being open and honest about what he thought they might use to make a decision. He said my cause looked solid and only asked that I send in a copy of my retail tax license, which I did later that same day. Since then, I have heard nothing.

My 90 day mark is Monday. I know that by statute they have 90 days to respond, but it seems they are so bogged down that I wonder if I will get anything back by then.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 04-05-2012 at 5:43 PM.. Reason: Spelling error with my iPhone
Old 04-05-2012, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
I haven't mentioned this here yet, but I applied again back in January. I hadn't thought I would say anything about it until I had a response whether of denial or approval. As it turns out, I still have had no answer. This time around the interviewer spent almost an hour with me and was very open an honest, even showing me a printout of my "record" letting me know that they had nothing official about the "confrontation" I had with a road rager which proved to be the reason for my previous denial and was a little perplexed that it might have a bearing on a decision when it was nothing officially reported. He was also clear to make sure I knew my file was thick with previous applications and notes and he did not review it all, but was only concerned with my official police printout. In fact, all it seemed that was on my history was one traffic citation and one incident where I called the police to report a person threatening me bodily harm a few years ago. If there was more, I admit, I am no pro at reading a report, and although he didn't go over it line by line with me... As he showed it to me, he suggested there was nothing he felt on my official record to cause concern. He then was also clear to point out that he was not the deciding authority, but was also clear in saying that he believed in being open and honest about what he thought they might use to make a decision. He said my cause looked solid and only asked that I send in a copy of my retail tax license, which I did later that same day. Since then, I have heard nothing.

My 90 day mark is Monday. I know that by statute they have 90 days to respond, but it seems they are so bogged down that I wonder if I will get anything back by then.
wow..I would've thought they'd be back to you before 90 days. That sounds excessive. I hope I hear something sooner than that.

My interviewer couldn't give me an idea of how long it would take. Not even an estimate.
Old 04-05-2012, 6:08 PM

The problem is, they have a statute that tells them how long to take, but there is no penalty attached. Even if the penalty was instant issue after 90 days if a Livescan was clean, you could bet they would make sure they processed them all by the deadline.

I still have till Monday though, and perhaps a couple days after for mailing time for the statute to be honored... And I'm not complaining anyway. All of our states counties seem to be having some growing pains with these applications, Placer is no exception. I'm actually glad to find that they are stepping up the processing time. It takes time to get a good system in place.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 04-05-2012 at 6:09 PM.. Reason: More iPhone spelling woes.
Old 05-02-2012, 1:23 PM

Any update?
Old 05-02-2012, 1:54 PM

Nothing new really. I emailed my interviewer to ask if he could pass it on that
I was hoping for a reply now that it was past 90 days. He responded and said he would. So, just waiting.
Old 05-02-2012, 4:43 PM

I guess I'll jump in this thread. I might be moving to Rocklin by the end of the year, and wanted to know if there are any out of the ordinary things I need to know before I apply for a placer CCW. I currently have a permit through Sutter and I know once I move it will expire in 90 days. I know that I'll have to actually come up with a GC statement this time around (Sutter is truly shall issue and all I had to put down was "self protection").

I have no criminal record, 1 speeding ticket 5 years ago, in the military and hold a security clearance. I think my chances are pretty good in Placer. I've been hearing this talk though of reference letters... I've read over the posted policies on the placer website and I couldn't find anywhere where it says that such letters are required. Is this just FUD? Also anyone know the current timeline from start to finish?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 5:13 PM

Traffic tickets and a good cause are both important here. From what you have described, it doesn't seem to me anyway that your traffic situation will be a problem. I guess it all depends on your good cause. I couldn't tell you all of the things that they would except for good cause, however I do know that they want to see that you are in a position work wise at the very least that would put you in harms way more than the average person. Whether or not they except dangers from the outside world that involve more than work, I couldn't tell you.

EDIT: Several days ago, I posted this from my iPhone... I did not realize the mistake I typed in. I meant to say that the traffic ticket situation you described would NOT be a problem in my estimation. My reason for thinking that is because you said it happened more than 5 years ago.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 05-05-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM

Not that it would be a problem, but do they go knocking on your neighbor's door and do they need letters of character reference? Just trying to clear up some FUD.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 PM

I was once told by an interviewer a few years ago that references help. IMHO though, it does not seem to be necessary nor is there anything in code that mandates them. As for them tracking down your neighbors.... I have never heard of that ever happening in this county, and I do happen to know a good handful of people with LTC's here.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Please note the edit I made to my comment from 5-2-12.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 PM

Duplicate.

Last edited by thatrogue; 05-13-2012 at 11:48 PM..
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 PM

Well boys I may be leaving you for el dorado county. My offer was accepted on a house in EDH on the 8th. Fair well. On to calmer waters.
Old 05-14-2012, 5:53 AM

LiveScan appt tomorrow at 130...last step toward my permit....hopefully

EDIT: Fast forward...my livescan results were transmitted electronically to the PCSO the same day I did my livescan. I wonder why it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get the permit? I understand it taking a week or maybe two to review all the records they're getting but 4 to 6 seems a little long.

Oh well..

Last edited by giantsfan; 05-21-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Old 05-25-2012, 5:57 PM

Well, at almost 140 days later... just a couple weeks shy of 2 months over the time limit by statute, I have a response from Placer. Denied. The reason was just a regurgitation of the same reason given last time when they didn't even actually process my application. It makes me wonder if this time around even counted as an application anyway also since they are going for the "wait 5 years" before re-applying.

May not even matter anyway though as it seems. We've been talking about moving out to the country to have a little more space. Whether that means down the road or out of state is still to be determined. Plumas county actually would be nice. My wife's family is all there and her brother is the SWAT commander... so we are well connected in that SO... We could also both easily get work there, again... lot's of connections and family. Other than that, we've been looking at Arizona or Texas. There are things here that would need to be figured out before we could go so far, but something could come up that looks and feels right. Until any of it all is sorted out, I'm not gonna' even worry about this stuff here in Placer. I just wanted to give you all the update though now that some movement has occurred.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 05-25-2012 at 6:27 PM.. Reason: Added a little more about where we might go if we really decide to move
Old 05-30-2012, 8:13 PM

If you don't mind, could you describe in general terms what your good cause statement was about?

I don't really have a work related need to carry and I live in a safe area so I'm pretty bummed that wanting to carry a firearm for a recreational purpose (camping/hiking/etc) is probably going to be denied.

If only they'd issue of self defense...
It is so nice to drop mags freely even though I do that now with my featureless AR and AK it is not the same as the real thing. Like Coca Cola here in the US compared to Mexico with real sugar not corn syrup!
Old 05-30-2012, 8:13 PM

Double post, my bad.
It is so nice to drop mags freely even though I do that now with my featureless AR and AK it is not the same as the real thing. Like Coca Cola here in the US compared to Mexico with real sugar not corn syrup!
Old 06-08-2012, 4:57 PM

Placer is actually pretty easy to obtain a permit through. It took a little time, but all-in-all, pretty smooth. I had my interview on a Thursday, and received a call that following Tuesday that I passed, and to schedule my Live Scan. Went in two weeks later for the Live Scan, and received my permit in the mail approx 3 weeks later.
Living in the U.S. is like being a tampon: In a great place at a bad time.
Old 06-08-2012, 9:45 PM

If your background is beyond reproach, you're likely to be issued a permit.
Old 06-08-2012, 9:58 PM

I have a degree in Education, I am Eagle Scout, and the last (first and only) time I got a traffic ticket was in 2005. I have never been charged with any crimes.

I do not need a firearm for my work, which is related to education and child care. I want to carry a firearm for self defense, which is not an acceptable good cause.

If I don't carry a firearm for work purposes, If I can't carry for self defense, and carrying for voluntary recreation purposes doesn't work as a good cause, what does? I'd appreciate any help.

I'm not in a rush to get my LTC, I'm planning on getting some more training before I do (training I'll get regardless of whether I can get a license)

Am I worrying over nothing?

Last edited by Lagduf; 06-08-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 PM

See now... I saw my official law enforcement background check... Even though in 10 years I've had a handful of tickets, only one was readily apparent, and I think it may have been one that was dismissed if it is the one I truly think it was (I don't know how to read a police report, so I am a little unsure)... The only other thing that came up was an incident where I think it was the time I personally called Roseville PD, or at least, that is what it looked like to me. When I mentioned it to the interviewer he seemed to think that might have been the case as well. If there was more to it, he either missed it or didn't have it. He admitted he hadn't read everything in my folder, just what he felt looked to be relevant for the interview. He allowed me to take a look at the pages he was reviewing for myself. Like I say, I am no expert at reading a police report, but I look clean.

So, just for "sayin'... Officially... How am I not above any reproach? Prominent members right here at Calguns have to my face and in person told me they knew "behind-the-scenes" things about why I was denied after they poked around a bit, and think it is regrettable, but they are not in any position to be able to do anything about it. So, again... just for sayin' how does that happen in a county where issuance is otherwise seen as reasonable and easy? The only application I have submitted that I understand to have actually been treated as an application from what I understand was just denied for traffic tickets, so I guess that is what I walk away with. I was told by someone at the SO that one subsequent application wasn't even going to be processed as an application, or something to that effect, and the next one I tried had apparently been swept under the rug for almost 5 months till I called and finally got someone on the phone to tell me something.

I may be moving soon anyway, so I guess at this point all of this is neither here nor there.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 06-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post

So, just for "sayin'... Officially... How am I not above any reproach? Prominent members right here at Calguns have to my face and in person told me they knew "behind-the-scenes" things about why I was denied after they poked around a bit, and think it is deplorable, but they are not in any position to be able to do anything about it. If I had not vowed to keep silent over what they discovered, I wouldn't share it anyway because it seems too unbelievable to me. So, again... just for sayin' how does that happen in a county where issuance is otherwise seen as reasonable and easy?
Is there anyway you can elaborate on this?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagduf View Post
Is there anyway you can elaborate on this?
I wish I could... but no.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 06-10-2012 at 9:39 PM..
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 PM

Since finding out so many things about it last summer at the Calguns meeting in Murphy's, I haven't said much of anything here. I only opened up this much about it now because I am possibly leaving Placer and really just don't care about it much anymore. If I end up not leaving... well then, it still is no secret that things need fixing here as with many other counties... Even if it just were traffic tickets like it is for some, that to me seems a pretty unreasonable reason to deny a person the right to self defense. In fact, just telling people that if they don't have a potentially dangerous job seems to me a poor reason to tell someone they don't have the right to self defense... Law abiding citizens are not the problem. Why deny any law abiding person a basic right that any one of our founding fathers would assume they naturally had? I do actually understand the logic behind why Placer has the policies they do, but like many here, I simply do not agree. That's what is great about America, we can disagree and be a part of the system that is in place to make it change.

Last edited by pitchbaby; 06-10-2012 at 9:52 PM.. Reason: Clarity of point
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 PM

I read that paragraph 3 times, and I'm still not sure what you're eluding too.

Behind the scenes, players, special services, municipalities, outed themselves?

*head exploded*
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 PM

We need Placer's Good Cause Statements to be made public.

I should move up to Nevada Country.

Quote:
I read that paragraph 3 times, and I'm still not sure what you're eluding too.

Behind the scenes, players, special services, municipalities, outed themselves?

*head exploded*
I was likewise more confused than ever and regretted asking.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Anti... If I have confused you that much... Then I have done exactly what I was trying to do... I am telling the story without really saying anything at all. Unless you are someone different than you have said here that you are, there is no reason why you should know much about it anyway. If you are someone who would or should know more... then it wouldn't take long to draw the line and see it... even if you disagree with the way I interpret it, there should be enough there to bring it together. If you are someone who was at one time familiar with the finer points, and still can't see it... Well then, maybe I can have a promising career one day writing legislation in Washington DC... hehe

Last edited by pitchbaby; 06-10-2012 at 9:56 PM..
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM

By the way... Ya, I see it... It seems nutty to read this without knowing how to fill in the blanks... and it really is just one big blank. I can't change that. For some reason, I have been trusted by people in charge with calguns to know some of what kinds of things they do and how they obtain information... I can't elaborate, it's a crummy position to be in, but it is what it is.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 PM

I love a good conspiracy!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I love a good conspiracy!
I would hardly call it that... LOL! I just respect the work that Brandon, Gene, Grey, Jason, Kevin and others here do. If they want to trust me with knowing certain things that they have picked up along the way so it will help me to feel better about being beaten up... then I have to respect their methods and sources and keep my mouth shut. I can say their names without causing a problem... Let's face it... everyone knows who the leaders are at Calguns. I'm not saying it was any specific one of them that gave me the details, but they all know who, or at least should know... and if any one of them don't, I can tell them and let them have their "AHA" moment.