Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Businesses/Governments that accomodate LTC

This thread is to identify and recognize the more forward-thinking businesses and city/county government locations that are LTC friendly.

The legalities are covered in the other thread; this thread addresses the behaviors of specific entities acting legally to recognize LTC.

Let us assume, with the current climate, that businesses and government facilities are LTC-hostile to some degree, whether or not there are signs posted. We don't need to hear about those - that's the default.

It seems there are three categories:
1) businesses that allow their employees to carry
2) businesses or government locations that post the equivalent of 'LTC Welcome Here'
3) businesses or government locations that DO NOT allow carry, but provide secure gun-check facilities for customers
Please add posts here when you confirm a new member of the reasonable group!

========

This is NOT a thread on whether one should or should not obey signs, nor is it about the legalities or wisdom of allowing/denying carry in a business.

Those questions are for a different thread, and have been hashed out several times; there remain differing views.

========

For example, see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3&postcount=13

That post indicates that Universal and Knott's are providing gun-check facilities. That whole thread is about Disneyland (California) providing the same, but there are some questions on consistency.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-01-2012 at 1:07 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 8:47 PM

I'm surprised no one has replied to this yet. Guess I'll be the first. This would be a category 2.

Camino Real Restaurante & Bar here in Bakersfield not only openly welcomes CCW holders but gives them a 15% discount on their food! Very smart business move if you ask me.
Old 07-03-2013, 4:08 PM

There's also a website "friendorfoe.com" that provides an interactive capability that allows for updates as people go to various businesses, etc and find out what policies / practices / experiences are relative to 2A issues, with added specificity regarding open / concealed carry. Give it a shot... :-)
Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM

I believe Bass Pro Shops would be category 3. I remember a buddy that worked there said they had to check guns in at the front.
Old 08-29-2013, 4:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberClurichaun View Post
I believe Bass Pro Shops would be category 3. I remember a buddy that worked there said they had to check guns in at the front.

I asked the employee manning the kiosk at the Bass Pro in Manteca about LTC holders having to check their guns. He said that Bass Pro does not require people with LTC's to check their firearms at the door.

A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Thats the exact one he worked at also. My bad.

WTS Toth Tools, AK misc, and Streamlight TLR3
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post19963273
Old 11-30-2013, 9:59 AM

Come on all you CCWers, just ask when your out and about. Talk to the manager of the stores and restaurants you frequent. Home Depot, Lowes, K-Mart, Cosco, Turners, Sears, Dennys, and on and on. I am in the process of getting my permit, and once in hand I'll start reporting.

USS Bristol County LST 1198
Attack Squadron Seven...Mission-Assault
Gator Navy
VFW
American Legion
NRA

Cat herding by appt. only.- The crazy cat man.
Old 12-26-2013, 2:14 PM

Home depot official stance is to support whatever the local Laws are. So if legal your ok.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 PM

Was in a Big 5 a few day's ago, and I asked the girl that was helping me what the stores policy was pertaining to CCW. She didn't know what what that was, so after explaining to her, she said " you can't carry a gun in the store" . I asked if that was a corporate rule, and she said she wasn't sure, but would call them and ask. She came back and told me according to company policy, if I had a permit and a badge it was ok to carry, but the gun had to be unloaded. I wasn't sure what badge she had referred to, so I asked, and she said, one that says you have a permit. Does anyone here carry a badge ?

USS Bristol County LST 1198
Attack Squadron Seven...Mission-Assault
Gator Navy
VFW
American Legion
NRA

Cat herding by appt. only.- The crazy cat man.
Old 01-01-2014, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Uh, no. Except those members who are LEO's. Oh yeah, firefighters. People who carry so-called "CCW badges" are removed from the membership rolls forthwith.*

*That part isn't necessarily true, but it should be.
Old 01-01-2014, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

No state requires them. They're carried as an optional accessory by crazy people.
Old 02-28-2014, 3:42 PM

This is a GREAT IDEA.... I am going to start asking here in Sacramento and posting the results!

Toy-R-Us, in Elk Grove, has a NO WEAPONS sign at the door, but I was told by Mgt, that was for open carry! Manager there is pro 2a and always looks to see if I have mine! Kind-of-a joke now! Cause he never knows where it is! Most of the time, shouldered and not detectable!
Old 08-24-2014, 2:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Zenko Sushi in Mission Viejo.

28892 Marguerite Pkwy
Mission Viejo, CA, 92692

Phone:
(949) 347-0844

Owner is a Calgunner (I believe), and the place is quite good and very gun friendly.
Old 08-24-2014, 2:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Also, re: IKEA: if you've ever been in one of their stores you can see what a nightmare it would be to evacuate. I think carrying in there would be a wise idea given the store layout.
Old 08-24-2014, 2:33 PM
Administrator

Please do remember, this thread is to point out the (from the CCW perspective) Good Guys.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 08-24-2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katranch View Post
Was in a Big 5 a few day's ago, and I asked the girl that was helping me what the stores policy was pertaining to CCW. She didn't know what what that was, so after explaining to her, she said " you can't carry a gun in the store" . I asked if that was a corporate rule, and she said she wasn't sure, but would call them and ask. She came back and told me according to company policy, if I had a permit and a badge it was ok to carry, but the gun had to be unloaded. I wasn't sure what badge she had referred to, so I asked, and she said, one that says you have a permit. Does anyone here carry a badge ?
Just a though. If the girl said you could not carry in big 5. Would you then not carry in their store? Or would you just go about your business and carry because you are a legal ccw holder and big 5 corporate is not a law maker? I'm sure most businesses Would prefer no guns in their stores for insurance and public option purposes. I agrees it would be nice you know who allows carry. But it is concealed and should not matter correct?
Old 08-31-2014, 2:23 PM

Omega Burgers with locations in Bellflower and Lakewood supports the 2nd Amendment and is LTC friendly. Great food, clean place and good service.

16310 Bellflower Blvd.
Bellflower, CA 90706

11790 Del Amo Blvd.
Lakewood, CA 90715
Old 09-06-2014, 8:40 PM

Very good info
Old 09-07-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops... View Post
This is a GREAT IDEA.... I am going to start asking here in Sacramento and posting the results!

Toy-R-Us, in Elk Grove, has a NO WEAPONS sign at the door, but I was told by Mgt, that was for open carry! Manager there is pro 2a and always looks to see if I have mine! Kind-of-a joke now! Cause he never knows where it is! Most of the time, shouldered and not detectable!
Necropost, but I gotta say: Get it in writing! If there's a sign that says no, without mentioning exceptions, and you don't have anything in writing, then what do you expect the company to do if some controversy comes up?
"We don't have any exceptions like that. We never said that. The sign clearly states no weapons."
Then you get to be a lying gun nut carrying a gun in a children's toy store!

Sorry about the bad waves, Librarian.
On a positive note, I saw an ad for a beginner's handgun class in an old learningexchange.com ad booklet. Not quite what was asked for....

Friendorfoe.com isn't working for me. There is a friendorfoe.us.
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 09-11-2014, 9:17 PM

I have a question though...if concealed carry means "Concealed" then why would we go around asking random workers if they allow LTC at their facility? I mean it'd be great if businesses advertised it, but honestly I'll never ask because it would only serve to draw attention to myself that I don't want.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Asking is just asking for a stupefied look and an eventual "no." Wanna know if a business has a policy? Look for a sign. No sign, no policy.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinktothat421 View Post
Just a though. If the girl said you could not carry in big 5. Would you then not carry in their store? Or would you just go about your business and carry because you are a legal ccw holder and big 5 corporate is not a law maker? I'm sure most businesses Would prefer no guns in their stores for insurance and public option purposes. I agrees it would be nice you know who allows carry. But it is concealed and should not matter correct?
I'd carry anyway, but next time I see someone in there with a badge I'm going to tell him he has to unload or leave. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 09-25-2014, 7:14 PM

I have never seen a business where I live that has a "No firearms" sign. But then again I live in Plumas County.
Old 11-11-2014, 2:13 PM

My wife and I recently attended a concert at the Shrine Auditorium and I was carrying IWB (downtown LA so I felt the need). Upon getting to the entrance I saw security wanding everyone before scanning their ticket. I quickly pulled out my CCW and showed it to the supervisor who nodded and let me through even though the wand went off.

Nothing else was said between us other than "have a nice show!"
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 PM

The more you guys ask business owners/management about ccw, the more "no guns" signs you will see pop up in the future. It will end up hurting more than helping.
Old 11-22-2014, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround1 View Post
The more you guys ask business owners/management about ccw, the more "no guns" signs you will see pop up in the future. It will end up hurting more than helping.
I disagree with your viewpoint, because the worst a business can do is post a "No guns" sign and enforce that policy in that business, but that carries no force of law behind it.

It simply means, if it is legal to carry concealed (with a CCW license or not) in a given state, and a privately owned establishment decides to have a No Guns policy, that does not make it illegal to continue to CCW in that establishment, because you are not violating the law in doing so, just that particular establishment's policy. If they discover that you are CCWing, the worst they can legally do is ask you to leave. If you refuse however, then they can call the cops for you trespassing on their property.

CCW has become more popular now than ever before and this means changing the anti-gun sediment in this country. To draw the line of pro or anti-LTC businesses is another way to see who stands clearly in this fight for our rights. How do you test the waters if you don't swim? There are no losses in simply asking.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 11-24-2014, 9:57 PM
Administrator

This is a 'good news' thread about California businesses.

Info on other states is off topic. Posts about 'no guns' policies are off topic.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-29-2014, 4:05 PM

For those who need chiropractic help, Dr. Tony Potters on Emerald Oak Drive (just off of Elk Grove Blvd.) has no problems with CCW holders. In fact, I just found this fact out this afternoon when I went in to get adjusted.

Normally, I discreetly remove my carry gun and hide it in my jacket before placing it on a chair. However, I normally do not remove my spare magazine because it is not noticeable or in the way when I get adjusted. This time, he noticed my spare magazine when he was adjusting my hip.

To my surprise (well I shouldn't be because I've only been going to him for like the past 5 years and he knows me well), he took the fact that I was carrying in stride and even told me that he had no problems with good citizens having a LTC. In fact, given the recent events, he indicated that he feels more secured knowing that there is an armed citizen as a patient in his clinic. And if I had to rate this business into the given 3 categories, I would have to say that this office falls into Category 1.

So there you have it folks. Next time you need an adjustment, go see Dr. Potter. He will take care of you and not freak out from the fact that you are armed. By the way, I would still exercise the usual discretion and courtesy by removing your gun before Dr. Potter comes into your room for your adjustment.

Dr. Tony J. Potter
9632 Emerald Oak Drive
Elk Grove, CA 95624
(916) 685-1234

- Gomphe

Last edited by Gomphe; 12-29-2014 at 4:08 PM.. Reason: Added catagory level
Old 12-29-2014, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomphe View Post
For those who need chiropractic help, Dr. Tony Potters on Emerald Oak Drive (just off of Elk Grove Blvd.) has no problems with CCW holders. In fact, I just found this fact out this afternoon when I went in to get adjusted.

Normally, I discreetly remove my carry gun and hide it in my jacket before placing it on a chair. However, I normally do not remove my spare magazine because it is not noticeable or in the way when I get adjusted. This time, he noticed my spare magazine when he was adjusting my hip.

To my surprise (well I shouldn't be because I've only been going to him for like the past 5 years and he knows me well), he took the fact that I was carrying in stride and even told me that he had no problems with good citizens having a LTC. In fact, given the recent events, he indicated that he feels more secured knowing that there is an armed citizen as a patient in his clinic. And if I had to rate this business into the given 3 categories, I would have to say that this office falls into Category 1.

So there you have it folks. Next time you need an adjustment, go see Dr. Potter. He will take care of you and not freak out from the fact that you are armed. By the way, I would still exercise the usual discretion and courtesy by removing your gun before Dr. Potter comes into your room for your adjustment.

Dr. Tony J. Potter
9632 Emerald Oak Drive
Elk Grove, CA 95624
(916) 685-1234

- Gomphe
Wow, good to know. I usually stash my gun in my truck before my adjustment. I will try this guy out.
Old 12-29-2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Wow, good to know. I usually stash my gun in my truck before my adjustment. I will try this guy out.
He's a great guy and I've been going to him for years. I hope you get the same great experience as I did. Let me know how he works out for you. I am hoping that his comfort with LTC individuals goes beyond his personal knowledge of me.

- Gomphe
Old 12-29-2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadedeeper View Post
I have a question though...if concealed carry means "Concealed" then why would we go around asking random workers if they allow LTC at their facility? I mean it'd be great if businesses advertised it, but honestly I'll never ask because it would only serve to draw attention to myself that I don't want.
X2.
Old 01-23-2015, 3:12 PM

There should be more businesses that welcome CCW holders. There should be signs or notes on there website.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 PM

If anyone of you enjoy vapeing in the woodland hills area. You are more welcome to come in to our shop. Hidden vape. carry on! Too bad I dont have LTC. I envy you guys lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 9:51 PM

Default www.friendorfoe.us

Welcome to the Friend or Foe web site. This site serves the gun owner community by listing the experiences people have while out and about carrying a firearm for self protection. Individuals across the country use the site to share experiences visiting various places of business for the benefit of the entire gun owner community. Gun owners who Open Carry are especially encouraged to share their experiences as they are obviously more inclined to get a genuine feel for whether gun owners are welcome at the establishment. Those who prefer to carry concealed can help by adding ratings for businesses that they know are friendly or unfriendly, and also by adding ratings for places that are posted with “no guns” or “no weapons” signage. If you are a gun owner, consider sharing the experiences you have while carrying with those that live nearby. Simply click on the Map menu item above, and you might find others have already added some ratings in your area. If not, use the Add Rating link to quickly add your experiences with local businesses in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker34 View Post
There's also a website "friendorfoe.com" that provides an interactive capability that allows for updates as people go to various businesses, etc and find out what policies / practices / experiences are relative to 2A issues, with added specificity regarding open / concealed carry. Give it a shot... :-)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 PM

Default 54,700 = 2013 of 36 million have CCW's (:-(

55,000 CCWs in California. We are less than 2% of the State's Population.
So as we get to 1 million, I think our #s will warrant the "red carpet" or "Welcome LTC/CCW" sign.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013ccw.JPG (74.9 KB, 368 views)
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhfan2u View Post
There should be more businesses that welcome CCW holders. There should be signs or notes on there website.
For a majority of businesses that would be shooting themselves in the foot, pardon the pun. You and I would like it, but the amount of business they risk losing by advertising that their patrons are probably armed would outweigh the occasional dude who would go there for that reason.

Personally I take the lack of a "no weapons" sign to mean the business is pro-carry.
Old 04-07-2015, 9:13 AM

I'm Al from American Fastening Systems in Oxnard, Ca
We mainly sell all types of nails, staples, and tools for construction, agriculture, and industrial packaging.
Ask for Al for a 20% discount on Benchmade knives or 10% off everything else with a CCW permit or an application for a CCW(approved or not)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo4sale View Post
55,000 CCWs in California. We are less than 2% of the State's Population.
So as we get to 1 million, I think our #s will warrant the "red carpet" or "Welcome LTC/CCW" sign.

Uhh... to clarify... 55,000 CCW holders out of a population of 36 million is not only less than 2%, its less than 0.2%. It's 0.15%

Essentially 3 people out of every 2000 have a CCW

To get to 1 million we will have to increase CCW issuance by almost 20x.. that would be awesome
Old 06-09-2015, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround1 View Post
In my limited experience in life - you have an excellent observation.

When not posted in opposition, then presume - okay.

When posted in opposition, it is after all concealed - the chance is yours to take.

Don't ask don't tell.

Either presume okay or be paranoid and presume not okay.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM

Andrew here, owner of BoxCar CrossFit in Roseville CA. If anyone is looking for a veteran owned powerlifting / olympic lifting / CrossFit gym that is 2A friendly come check us out! (FYI my partner is the vet, not me!)