Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-22-2013, 4:40 PM

Exclamation DO NOT USE MARTIN B RETTING IN CULVER CITY

Just a quick heads up, my brother drove 45+miles to get to Martin B Rettings in Culver City and was denied selling a gun due to the fact he was not 21 years old.
This shop has no ideas of the laws and refused to provide a California penal code regarding a 20 year old selling a handgun. The gun was transferred to him from our father and the correct DOJ form was filed along with the $19 check prior to him going to sell it. This shop was ignorant and did not treat him as a human being, treating him with no respect and just giving him the "oh you are just a dumb kid routine." Well help spread the word on this shop with a ****ty attitude and refusing services...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willerfortheworld View Post
Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?
Priceless
Old 04-22-2013, 6:48 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Can't comment on the attitude, but one point - on a PPT, the seller needs to be able to receive a gun through an FFL, in case the buyer fails background check.

For a handgun, that means the seller must be 21 - both CA and Fed law require 21 for handguns through the FFL.

If FFL can't return the gun to the seller, have to dispose of it to LEO. So, while they may not have been thinking of that, could be they saved a potential problem.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-22-2013, 6:50 PM

As I understand it can be ppt back to my dad if that was the case?

And they were not thinking of anything like that, they told him it was illegal and they would have to turn him into the DOJ if he tried to sell it.

Quote:
Why buy a glock, drive a Honda, and drink budlight when you can buy a cz, drive a Subaru and drink heineken?
Priceless
Old 04-22-2013, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalmedix View Post
As I understand it can be ppt back to my dad if that was the case?
Thought that you said it was submitted to DOJ along with the $19? So The firearm would be the 20 year olds and not the fathers anymore. In the case of a DROS denial then the firearm would have to go back to the 20 year old, same as if the buyer fails to pick it up within the 30 days if I understand correctly.

Strange that they were rude about it though. Did they call to make arrangements prior to going down there to transfer?
Old 04-22-2013, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Dat Blows!

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 04-22-2013, 8:50 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Don't worry I won't. I am an FFL, so I tend not to use other FFLs for PPTs.

Plus like was mentioned, it sounds like they saved your brother from possibly losing his firearm when it had to be turned over to the police if the buyer failed background.

Based on this, I wouldn't PPT a gun from a under 20 year old either.
Old 04-22-2013, 9:20 PM

It doesn't matter, my brother will be 21 in less than a month, they could have worked around it if they had to return the gun. I'm always up for a stand up business that will back up us Ca gun owners. They clearly don't care about the customer.

Sad to hear you share the same POV tenpercent... I heard a lot of good about your shop lol.

Quote:
Priceless
Old 04-23-2013, 6:28 AM
Veteran Member

Having run my own company I have some insight into what an unhappy customer will perceive as rude and unprofessional. Basically, anything short of them not getting their way.

I have listened in on customer calls, from the very beginning of a call. The employee was polite, empathetic, yet non wavering. When the customer would ask to speak to a manager, I'd wait 10 seconds or so then "get on the line". In most cases whatever came out of the customers mouth next would be a flat out lie. Your staff said this, he told me that, he called me this...Just pure crap.

I'd bet you're perspective is skewed because you walked out of there without getting what you wanted. Could they be wrong, possibly, not even related to the point I'm making. Were they rude, no respect, and sh***y attitude like you imply? Not likely.

Grow up kid....
Old 04-23-2013, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Can't comment on the attitude, but one point - on a PPT, the seller needs to be able to receive a gun through an FFL, in case the buyer fails background check.

For a handgun, that means the seller must be 21 - both CA and Fed law require 21 for handguns through the FFL.

If FFL can't return the gun to the seller, have to dispose of it to LEO. So, while they may not have been thinking of that, could be they saved a potential problem.
is that 21 rule absolute? can a 20-year old bring his legally obtained handgun to an FFL for overnight repair? Is the FFL prohibited from returning it to the owner? no 4473 is needed for the return AFAIK.

IIRC, for a pawn return, a 4473 is needed, would it be required for a failed PPT return as well?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-23-2013, 6:41 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Did you copy and paste the same thread from yesterday?

You posted this exact same thread yesterday before changing the title of the thread and deleting all the text. It looks like an exact copy and past of what's below. You seem hell bent on burning Martin B Rettings? Looks like you got your answers from the post below. Link to your original thread is below too.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=749943

Quote:
Just a quick heads up, my brother drove 45+miles to get to Martin B Rettings in Culver City and was denied selling a gun due to the fact he was not 21 years old.
This shop has no ideas of the laws and refused to provide a California penal code regarding a 20 year old selling a handgun. The gun was transferred to him from our father and the correct DOJ form was filed along with the $19 check prior to him going to sell it. This shop was ignorant and did not treat him as a human being, treating him with no respect and just giving him the "oh you are just a dumb kid routine." Well help spread the word on this shop with a ****ty attitude and refusing services...

Last edited by Powder_Keg; 04-23-2013 at 6:51 AM..
Old 04-23-2013, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
You posted this exact same thread yesterday before changing the title of the thread and deleting all the text. It look like an exact copy and past of what's below. You seem hell bent on burning Martin B Rettings? Look like you got your answers from the post below. Link to your original thread is below too.

I was wondering what happened to my post. Looks like the OP's campaign is seriously faltering. I think I will go to MBR and drop some coin as a tribute to the OP.
Old 04-23-2013, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

Poor poor OP. Nobody to rant with.
Old 04-23-2013, 7:21 AM

I would have to agree with the OP on the rudeness of MBR.

I drove 60 miles to purchase a rifle that is fairly difficult to find, Styer SSG (the original green stock ones). Got there, looked over the rifle and said, I'll take it... Handed the salesmen my DL and CCW. He looks at the CCW and says, " what's this for"? I said, since my DL has a PO Box you need my actual address... He looked at me as I was from Mars. Headed to the back came out with his boss... His boss tells me, I can't sell you this rifle, your DL has a PO Box. I said, I know, that's why you have my CCW. He goes on to say he can't use the CCW as proof of residency... OK, I've purchased handguns and rifles with that without issues, he stays the course, nope we can't sell you this rifle.

I explained to him then why can I purchase a handgun with the DOJ exemption code X41 that excludes from having a HSC and even proof of residency? The CCW is an govenerment issues ID with a start-end date, my picture, finger print, etc. He had no answer.

I told him thanks and you just lost a $3000 sale.

So, yes MBR needs to get a better handle on the laws and not be so obtuse. I got into a similar situation with Turners, at least they realized their mistake and sold me the gun.
Old 04-23-2013, 7:42 AM

I have had nothing but excellent service at Martin B Redding.
Old 04-23-2013, 8:08 AM

Been a semi-regular customer of MBR for a few years now, and I've definitely noticed a change the feel of the shop over the last year. I think the stress is getting to them. Long lines of panicked and/or low information buyers. Local, state, and federal government agents harassing them at every opportunity. And obnoxious gits like me wanting to do PPTs which net them very little in profit but take up valuable time.

The intra-family/direct ancestor exception is so obscure that most district attorneys don't know about it. I'm not surprised that some clerk at a gun store isn't up on every nuance of CA's rapidly changing legal minefield.

I say cut 'em some slack.
Old 04-23-2013, 8:14 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter, my brother will be 21 in less than a month, they could have worked around it if they had to return the gun. I'm always up for a stand up business that will back up us Ca gun owners. They clearly don't care about the customer.

Sad to hear you share the same POV tenpercent... I heard a lot of good about your shop lol.
So first you are getting mad because they are "breaking the law". Then when it is pointed out that they did not break the law but helped your brother you state they could have "gone around the law" if the seller was denied?
Old 04-23-2013, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
You posted this exact same thread yesterday before changing the title of the thread and deleting all the text. It looks like an exact copy and past of what's below. You seem hell bent on burning Martin B Rettings? Looks like you got your answers from the post below. Link to your original thread is below too.

Yea at first I did but its not right to have it up 2 different places with the same text, and with all this gun buying craze and panic, it seems people will do anything or put up with anything short of killing their family and write it off to just not knowing the laws. It's deeper than that, not knowing the laws and telling someone to basically F-off are two different things. The salesman was an ***, his boss was an ***, I was just posting here for other CGers to watch out, but I guess times really have changed and good service isn't expected anymore, just like most everyone on here is paying almost $1/round of .223 guess its expected to be treated like **** as a gun owner.

Quote:
Priceless
Old 04-23-2013, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerdude View Post
So first you are getting mad because they are "breaking the law". Then when it is pointed out that they did not break the law but helped your brother you state they could have "gone around the law" if the seller was denied?
They denied a ppt, if they like to conduct business in that manner then that's fine, just sending out a warning to CGers and its pretty amazing the amount of Calguns users that agree with me and have sent me pms asking about what salesman because they have similar stories.

They didn't save him from anything, they treated him like ****. And there is no going around the law, if they had to return the gun to him he has 30 days to pick it up, within those 30 days he would be 21... Not "going around the law" at all....

Quote:
Priceless
Old 04-23-2013, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post
I would have to agree with the OP on the rudeness of MBR.

I drove 60 miles to purchase a rifle that is fairly difficult to find, Styer SSG (the original green stock ones). Got there, looked over the rifle and said, I'll take it... Handed the salesmen my DL and CCW. He looks at the CCW and says, " what's this for"? I said, since my DL has a PO Box you need my actual address... He looked at me as I was from Mars. Headed to the back came out with his boss... His boss tells me, I can't sell you this rifle, your DL has a PO Box. I said, I know, that's why you have my CCW. He goes on to say he can't use the CCW as proof of residency... OK, I've purchased handguns and rifles with that without issues, he stays the course, nope we can't sell you this rifle.

I explained to him then why can I purchase a handgun with the DOJ exemption code X41 that excludes from having a HSC and even proof of residency? The CCW is an govenerment issues ID with a start-end date, my picture, finger print, etc. He had no answer.

I told him thanks and you just lost a $3000 sale.

So, yes MBR needs to get a better handle on the laws and not be so obtuse. I got into a similar situation with Turners, at least they realized their mistake and sold me the gun.
Funny, and thanks for making my point.
Where is the part in your story that supports your claim of
"I would have to agree with the OP on the rudeness of MBR."
Looks like you just didn't get your way.
Old 04-23-2013, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post
Poor poor OP. Nobody to rant with.
Yea, except for everyone who posted their ****ty experience, and PMed me abut their ****ty experience ...

Quote:
Priceless
Old 04-23-2013, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinho View Post
Been a semi-regular customer of MBR for a few years now, and I've definitely noticed a change the feel of the shop over the last year. I think the stress is getting to them. Long lines of panicked and/or low information buyers. Local, state, and federal government agents harassing them at every opportunity. And obnoxious gits like me wanting to do PPTs which net them very little in profit but take up valuable time.

The intra-family/direct ancestor exception is so obscure that most district attorneys don't know about it. I'm not surprised that some clerk at a gun store isn't up on every nuance of CA's rapidly changing legal minefield.

I say cut 'em some slack.
How many people live in Los Angeles County? How many people live in Los Angeles City? How many people live in West Los Angeles? And how many gun stores are there?

Something is seriously amiss when the basic laws of supply and demand are not functioning, and there is, I am guessing here, one gun store per 1 million people. MBR manages to hang on because they are in Culver City and for reasons that most of us cannot fathom because we are not in the gun business. But they are doing something right. I am sure it is a difficult business. Just look at how many employees MBR has (4-8?) at any moment. What do you think the daily wages are that the owner pays out every day? You think he wants to take a chance of getting screwed for the income of one PPT.

They don't always have the best prices. Sometimes the employees are not as patient and charming and you'd hope. But mostly they are. It is a great gun store and an outpost of freedom and hope in this garbage dump of a city. And there is always a great used gun selection to browse. And you can just grab most of those used guns and check them out without the help of a salesperson. How cool is that.

Last edited by Tanner68; 04-23-2013 at 8:34 AM..
Old 04-23-2013, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

I've had good and bad at MBR. Last one in Dec. was good,that's all
I remember. Pete
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 04-23-2013, 8:46 AM

I like that store...lots of guns and the guys have always been friendly to me...

and one of the guys working there is a Calguns Moderator
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Funny, and thanks for making my point.
Where is the part in your story that supports your claim of
"getting my way" huh... I guess you don't understand what a CCW allows to purchase. They were the one who didn't get it. The way the manager spoke to me was completely irrational and rude. They don't understand the complete contents of the law behind the X41 exemption and their ignorance caused them a sale. The way they spoke to me was completely unacceptable. If they understood the law they would know that a CCW allows purchases even if your DL doesn't have your physical address. And besides, the DROS of a long gun doesn't NOT require the x41 exemption like a handgun.

Again, this proves to me that the majority of CalGun readers don't understand what CCW can give you.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcours View Post
"getting my way" huh... I guess you don't understand what a CCW allows to purchase. They were the one who didn't get it. The way the manager spoke to me was completely irrational and rude. They don't understand the complete contents of the law behind the X41 exemption and their ignorance caused them a sale. The way they spoke to me was completely unacceptable. If they understood the law they would know that a CCW allows purchases even if your DL doesn't have your physical address. And besides, the DROS of a long gun doesn't NOT require the x41 exemption like a handgun.

Again, this proves to me that the majority of CalGun readers don't understand what CCW can give you.
I'll type ... s l o w e r ... <<Note: That's rude, for future reference

I previously asked:

Quote:
"Where is the part in your story that supports your claim of
That's it. I didn't say they were right, or that you were wrong. As with the OP, I was trying to show that when people "don't get their way" it is often seen as a rudeness or rude behavior on the part of the party they have a conflict with, even though they weren't actually treated rudely.

Of course NOW you saying things like "The way they spoke to me was completely unacceptable", but you still haven't demonstrated that they were rude. Ignorant of the law, possibly. Rude, I don't see it.

Did they call you names? Did they say you were dumb, ignorant, or stupid. Did they start to treat you in a condescending manner? You have made none of these claims. But somehow your disagreement with them, makes you think they were rude.

I'll stick to my initial observation due to your lack of demonstration otherwise.

Sorry if I'm being rude......
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I'll type ... s l o w e r ... <<Note: That's rude, for future reference

I previously asked:

That's it. I didn't say they were right, or that you were wrong. As with the OP, I was trying to show that when people "don't get their way" it is often seen as a rudeness or rude behavior on the part of the party they have a conflict with, even though they weren't actually treated rudely.

Of course NOW you saying things like "The way they spoke to me was completely unacceptable", but you still haven't demonstrated that they were rude. Ignorant of the law, possibly. Rude, I don't see it.

Did they call you names? Did they say you were dumb, ignorant, or stupid. Did they start to treat you in a condescending manner? You have made none of these claims. But somehow your disagreement with them, makes you think they were rude.

I'll stick to my initial observation due to your lack of demonstration otherwise.

Sorry if I'm being rude......
Yes, see above... I don't think you get it. You can stick to original observation, however it's wrong.

MBR has always come across as snot nosed. They do talk down to customers, I've seen it many times, when I was a regular there. I just happen to find better shops that one, know the law and two, actually have customer service. You can be a shill for them that's fine, but my experiences with MBR is far from acceptable.

The beauty is there are many gun shops in and around So. Cal. so dealing with ignorance and lack of customer service is no big deal, just go to another shop....
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Well, if you would have said they spoke to you in a condescending manner in any of your previous posts you could have saved yourself this embarrassment.

My new rhetorical question is why would you be a "regular" there, even though they are always "snot nosed" and "talk down to customers" all the while you say there's many LGS in and around So Cal ?

/caring
/replies
Old 04-23-2013, 1:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
They denied a ppt, if they like to conduct business in that manner then that's fine, just sending out a warning to CGers and its pretty amazing the amount of Calguns users that agree with me and have sent me pms asking about what salesman because they have similar stories.

They didn't save him from anything, they treated him like ****. And there is no going around the law, if they had to return the gun to him he has 30 days to pick it up, within those 30 days he would be 21... Not "going around the law" at all....
Unfortunately, you do not know the law and are making things up. Here is the law and pay close attention to (d).

Quote:
28050. (a) A person shall complete any sale, loan, or transfer of a
firearm through a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to
26915, inclusive, in accordance with this chapter in order to comply
with Section 27545.
(b) The seller or transferor or the person loaning the firearm
shall deliver the firearm to the dealer who shall retain possession
of that firearm.
(c) The dealer shall then deliver the firearm to the purchaser or
transferee or the person being loaned the firearm, if it is not
prohibited, in accordance with Section 27540.
(d) If the dealer cannot legally deliver the firearm to the
purchaser or transferee or the person being loaned the firearm, the
dealer shall forthwith, without waiting for the conclusion of the
waiting period described in Sections 26815 and 27540, return the
firearm to the transferor or seller or the person loaning the
firearm. The dealer shall not return the firearm to the seller or
transferor or the person loaning the firearm when to do so would
constitute a violation of Section 27500, 27505, 27515, 27520, 27525,
27530, or 27535. If the dealer cannot legally return the firearm to
the transferor or seller or the person loaning the firearm, then the
dealer shall forthwith deliver the firearm to the sheriff of the
county or the chief of police or other head of a municipal police
department of any city or city and county, who shall then dispose of
the firearm in the manner provided by Sections 18000, 18005, and
So if I run a PPT and the buyer is denied, I must forthwith (www.dictionary.com = immediately; at once; without delay) return the firearm to the seller.

Your seller is under 21. So if you continue reading if I cannot legally return the firearm to the seller then I shall forthwith (again, immeidately) deliver the firearm to the sheriff or the chief of police.

Now I am not commenting on how your brother was treated as I wasn't there. However, you are flat wrong when you state they could have legally held onto it for 30 days. They legally could not. By processing that PPT, they would put that firearm in jeopardy of being returned to directly to the police.

At my store, I don't need to treat you like garbage to explain that. In fact, if it was a rostered pistol I would have offered to transfer it as a regular transfer for $35 like a PPT. That way if the buyer was denied, the gun would not have to be turned over to the police. Then in that case I could have waited for your brother to turn 21 and then DROSed it back to him.

They might not have told you any of this and just said they couldn't do it. They might not have treated your correctly. Again, I wasn't there. However, the fact remains it would not have been legal to return the firearm to anyone other than law enforcement immediately after denial of the buyer. It is what it is.
Old 04-23-2013, 1:43 PM

This thread is a tribute to just how ****ed up all the gun and ammo laws are.

We have to have a damn FLOW CHART to figure **** out.
Old 04-23-2013, 2:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

MBR has been randomly good, great, and awesome,.
I've had them find me a AR retaining pin and put it in free of charge.
Talk about CMP competition rules and what scopes are a good deal.

And I've had a very few interactions that made me say - I don't want to shop there ever again....

The OP was involved in a transaction that would make them no money, had a lot of risk/ complexity with no upside for them.

CGF/SAF/FPC Supporter

"There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:13 PM

Bought a couple guns from them lately, they were always nice and professional.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:00 PM

bought a few firearms and ppt'd a couple at MBR. i can say the wait can suck and they can be brusque at times. but overall, they get the job done just fine.

on a side, note, why didn't your brother wait a month till he was 21 to ppt the handgun?
Old 04-23-2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Unfortunately, you do not know the law and are making things up. Here is the law and pay close attention to (d).

So if I run a PPT and the buyer is denied, I must forthwith (www.dictionary.com = immediately; at once; without delay) return the firearm to the seller.

Your seller is under 21. So if you continue reading if I cannot legally return the firearm to the seller then I shall forthwith (again, immeidately) deliver the firearm to the sheriff or the chief of police.

Now I am not commenting on how your brother was treated as I wasn't there. However, you are flat wrong when you state they could have legally held onto it for 30 days. They legally could not. By processing that PPT, they would put that firearm in jeopardy of being returned to directly to the police.

At my store, I don't need to treat you like garbage to explain that. In fact, if it was a rostered pistol I would have offered to transfer it as a regular transfer for $35 like a PPT. That way if the buyer was denied, the gun would not have to be turned over to the police. Then in that case I could have waited for your brother to turn 21 and then DROSed it back to him.

They might not have told you any of this and just said they couldn't do it. They might not have treated your correctly. Again, I wasn't there. However, the fact remains it would not have been legal to return the firearm to anyone other than law enforcement immediately after denial of the buyer. It is what it is.
I do appreciate the point of view and clarity, I was informed of the law from a firearms attorney and just was given misinformation on returning the handgun . The return was not the problem, the ppt was all that was requested and the attitude was not "ah man, I don't want you to loose your gun, I'm looking out for you." It was take your gun out of here and go somewhere else with it because we don't want any part in this. Just snotty and condesending. Glad to hear there are still rational gun retailers like yourself, because it will in turn lead to more business for your shop. Good job and the laws here lend no assistance to us here in CA.

Quote:
Priceless
Old 04-23-2013, 5:41 PM

Never had a problem with MBR. They are forced to explain the same rules and argue the same points to a bunch of know it alls, gun nuts, doomsday preppers and the ocassional felons.

After those experiences, I would approach everyone that walked through the door like an a-hole too. I wouldn't risk my dealers license on a transaction I didnt like either.

Last edited by dikroundtree; 04-23-2013 at 5:44 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 1:41 PM

Default mbr

i agree with others. Cut them some slack. There usually friendly when ive gone there. Also I have yet to buy a gun there. None the less they were always polite over the phone and in person. Took the time to show me firearms and let me grab them to get a feel for them myself with my own hands. Even without me asking to please let me handle the firearm. Have given me recommendations and there opinions. Did not feel as if they were going out there way to make a sale. Seemed more to be going out there way to make sure i understood the gun and caliber and would be happy with it. I have seen way more snotty attitudes and heard stories and heard stories of bad customer service at turners. But have aslo seen and had some good customer service from some managers and employees at turners.

Thinking back on the customer service ive had at mbr. I think they are over due on me giving them some buisness. Ill buy something from them if i find a price i like there.

This is America. Thay should have the right to refuse anyone service if they are not comfortable with providing a particular service. whether its ignorance of the law on there behalf or the customer.

Op dont be such a sour puss. Dont hold a grudge. Wasting your time anyways. Mbr has been in the area for many years and im sure has plenty regulars.
Old 04-30-2013, 1:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I do appreciate the point of view and clarity, I was informed of the law from a firearms attorney and just was given misinformation on returning the handgun . The return was not the problem, the ppt was all that was requested and the attitude was not "ah man, I don't want you to loose your gun, I'm looking out for you." It was take your gun out of here and go somewhere else with it because we don't want any part in this. Just snotty and condesending. Glad to hear there are still rational gun retailers like yourself, because it will in turn lead to more business for your shop. Good job and the laws here lend no assistance to us here in CA.

Who was the firearms attorney, let me know so I can stay away from him.
Old 05-04-2013, 1:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
is that 21 rule absolute? can a 20-year old bring his legally obtained handgun to an FFL for overnight repair? Is the FFL prohibited from returning it to the owner? no 4473 is needed for the return AFAIK.
IMO CA law is pretty broad here. I read this to basically be a one way street if someone 18-20 wants to sell, or otherwise give a handgun to dealer. Other prohibited scenarios under my reading prohibit 18-20 year olds from being able to handle handguns on display, or rent a handgun from a range.

Quote:
27510. No person licensed under Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive,
shall sell, supply, deliver, or give possession or control of a
handgun to any person under the age of 21 years, or any other firearm
to a person under the age of 18 years.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikroundtree View Post
Never had a problem with MBR. They are forced to explain the same rules and argue the same points to a bunch of know it alls, gun nuts, doomsday preppers and the ocassional felons.

After those experiences, I would approach everyone that walked through the door like an a-hole too. I wouldn't risk my dealers license on a transaction I didnt like either.

Totally agree.

Owning a couple of ARs, Aks and they know it all. And expect FFLs to cater to them. FFLs owe you squat. "Go around the law"?, what a freaking joke!

Just be glad MBR didn't spit on them on the way out.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM

I had a Martin Retting employee treat me rudely and indifferently while I was looking at an expensive firearm.
I called the Manager the next day, and he secured the gun for me over the phone, and knocked $100 off the price.
They've made their mistakes but overall, I've had a good relationship with the store.
Sounds like they were just being cautious about your brother's situation.

NRA,SAF,CGF
CCRKBA
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM

I've bought plenty of guns there. Never had any issues, except with PPT's. They don't like to do those if there customers in the store.

Good place overall.