Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-23-2013, 9:38 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I disagree, Bonnie, with your first sentence.
the one guy that started off that way was actually one of the best posts.
there was a lot of good posting, including by men.
but when the guys out number the women posting IN A FORUM THAT WAS DESIGNED TO LET US DISCUSS THINGS W/O THE TESTOSTERONE FIGHTING THAT HAPPENED ON PAGE 1 and seems to veer off topic with a lot of chest pounding yet no one called anyone is on it or brought it back into line?! WTF?!

come on, women, either we have a vested interest in this forum or it becomes just another OT. guys have always been welcome here. and they always should be.

Bonnie's 2nd and 3rd sentences are, imo, completely accurate BUT they should have been on page 1! by anyone! if we want a forum, we have to prove we want it and be ready to defend it....remind you of another issue?

ok, end of rant.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

My 4'11" daughter loves her 1911, my wife loves my daughters 1911 too
I think it's due to the single stack frame having a slimmer grip.
I come to that conclusion as they really like the ppk/s too and almost every single stack pistol I've ever handed them
Then my wife prefers my 686 revolver over anything else, she just loves single action on that thing
Neither of my girls like any of my Glocks, 22/23/27/30sf/36
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh
And I by no means shoved my revolver at my wife
I took it to shoot myself
She asked for it demanded her turn, then went through my entire box of ammo, I didn't get to shoot it once on that trip
Old 04-23-2013, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1859sharps View Post
I don't see it so much as hate, but lack of experience and knowledge. revolvers were for years and years THE handgun for everyone. And while they are "simple" and may rarely malfunction, when they do, the malfunctions often take the gun out of service. And it doesn't take much of a malfunction to take a revolver out of service.

Autos, can also malfunction and be taken out of service as well. but they also can take abuse the revolvers can't and still function. it takes a lot more to take a auto out of action than a revolver.

To me the issue is this. people are drawn to a particular type of gun for personal reasons. They should be allowed to make factual, and informed choices. rather than be limited to just a type because of their gender.

which is why I always presented a glock 19 to women if they didn't have anything in mind. to plant the idea that they aren't limited to a particular type of gun. and I helped that thought along with some words as well.
But aren't you then planting the idea in her mind that women should only use semi automatic handguns? Aren't you limiting her potential options..ie exluding revolvers? Aren't you showing your own prejudice as much as a guy who hands a female a revolver?
Old 04-23-2013, 8:22 PM

I'm glad my bf has never treated me like that. He took me out, showed me all the safe handling techniques for all the guns, then walked me through each one I wanted to try. By the end of the day the glock 19 and ak47 were my favorites.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:53 PM

My advice to any man or woman, and I am a Man, is to try out any gun the woman or man is thinking of buying. Rent it, use it, do failure to feed drills etc. My wife can't rack the slide on my Kimber warrior two. However, she can shoot it as well as most and I have no problem having it for my home defense gun. Try what you buy, before you buy. Make sure you can preform all the functions needed for defensive situations. I hear so many men recommend snub nose 38 specials for women and I truly feel this is a much more difficult gun to shoot well than any semi-auto that I have fired. Just my 92 cents worth (Inflation you know).
Old 04-28-2013, 8:26 AM
In Memoriam

My ex of three years couldn't rack the slide of an XD9 or a Glock19. We spent hours and days going over it. She just didn't have the strength to do it. I taught her to not worry about the slides. I kept it chambered with 10 rounds on her side of the bed and taught her how to reload. "Releasing the slide wasn't an issue".

My wife however can out shoot me and was a Military Police officer for several years. There isn't a single gun in the house she couldn't field strip, clean and out shoot me with. She keeps your own 92fs that she owned before meeting me, next to her side of the bed.
Old 04-28-2013, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Gentlemen: When you start off a post "I know I shouldn't be commenting on this" that's your first clue that you probably shouldn't. There are more posts from men on this thread than there are from women, which is just dumb.

Thank you very kindly, but please do not tell women what we think, what we feel and what we can or cannot do. Ever.
Amen to this. Condescending men are the main reason I normally stay out of threads like that. I've got no patience for someone who needs to put me down for things I can't control, such as being born female or the color of my skin, etc...
Old 04-29-2013, 3:22 PM

Well said. Look at my avatar! Obviously I have no issues with either platform. I love my revolver and I love my semi auto. As a teen I learned to shoot an HK 40 cal. (The good older ones, not the usp, grrrr) So even though some might say that's something wild for a girl to shoot, it is still my favorite gun of all time. I loe shooting it and am most accurate with it out of anything I've ever shot! My CW9 was purchased for CCW and loe shooting it and have no issues with any of it's functions. I find the slide easy to rack and actually think a revolver is much more difficult to be accurate with, even though the function is simple and you can just keep pulling that trigger if you have a misfire. I agree, it wasn't what the guy was saying, it was how he was saying it. Everyone has a unique set of circumstances that they shop for a gun under, that makes it different for EVERYONE. I just don't like being looked down on based from one glance from behind a counter. I am used to a male dominated business world and get the little lady, you must be the secretary thing sometimes and I'll always turn to my husband as the one in charge of any situation that may arise and gladly take orders, but he also knows if he tells me to cover his 6, I've got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I'm hoping I can shed some light on this.

I think the men in this thread are getting a little too wrapped up in the technicalities of the OP's venting. Maybe the other women here can let me know if I'm on track or not; but, I think the upset has more to do with the attitude and delivery of the speaker more than the technicalities of recoil weight, caliber, etc.

What do I mean by that? It's not so much that the man originally quoted in the first post suggested a revolver, it's the way in which he said it. He didn't suggest the revolver as a legitimate way to meet her needs; he suggested it as an option for people too weak to handle "regular" guns. He talked down to her and disparaged women in general.

As a woman, I've been into a gun store and had men insult me by immediately suggesting options, apparently under the assumption that I can't handle anything bigger or better or that I'm afraid of bigger guns. Which is odd, because, as I already mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm built like the proverbial East German swimmer. Or maybe I'm more like a super hot Amazon; but, I digress. The point is that I'm tall and and have an athletic build. So, it is odd when men speak to me in a patronizing manner when it comes to guns.

This is what I suspect the OP may have been getting at. It's hard to describe to men what it feels like to be a woman in a gun store (or gun forum!) and to have men talk down to you unnecessarily. This guy's opinion? He says that this model gun "...is not a gun to put in a woman's hands, whether she can rack it or not". Whether she can rack it or not a woman shouldn't have one??? WTF? If a woman wants a Kahr CW9 and can operate it, what is the problem?

I have no problems with revolvers. I don't own one currently; but, I would like to "just because". That said, I have gotten the impression from men that men think that revolvers are "great for the ladies" because they're "easier". That does both the women and the revolver a disservice. Again, it's not that women are "thinking too well of themselves"; it's that there is a different set of standards for us and it's not always right or fair.

We can say that revolvers have been killin' folks just fine since the beginning of time; but, if a man were swapped in for a woman in most gun purchase scenarios, I imagine that it would be unlikely that the salesman would tell another man, "Say, what you should really be getting is a revolver." Even if the man was a beginner and first-time gun buyer, I bet he still wouldn't be directed to a revolver. Women? Yep. Revolvers.

If it's a woman's best option; sure, a revolver is legit. But to tell a woman that she shouldn't have a Kahr even if she is able to rack the slide, is just ridiculous.

I hope I made some kind of sense somewhere in there.....

BK
Old 04-29-2013, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Some guys, well, just think women are inferior..
I couldn't disagree more; I know that ladies are capable of handling weapons just as well as men. Most just aren't interested
Old 04-29-2013, 3:37 PM

Not all women get excited over nails and fancy high heels. There are plenty of us who are femenine and still love a good deal on ammo or Patigonia boots! Personally, I'd rather have a new gun then a new coach purse any day. I already have one nice hand bag, you can only carry one of them at a time. No such thing as too many guns or too much ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
Some guys, well, just think women are inferior..
I couldn't disagree more; I know that ladies are capable of handling weapons just as well as men. Most just aren't interested
Old 05-01-2013, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

I didn't realize this forum was so funny! What a riot! Pete
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
I don't want to hijack this but what semi autos have easyier springs to pull back on ?
USP model. I had a USP40 and I think I can Ninja Load that gun without trying.

Just in case you dont know what Ninja reload is:

Now, the funny thing about this thread is OP has a revolver as OP's icon.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Old 05-01-2013, 4:58 PM

If you read everything posted, you'd see I have no issue with revolvers, but how the guy was talking down about women....a think a revolver is great! A lot harder to be a good shot with IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
USP model. I had a USP40 and I think I can Ninja Load that gun without trying.

Just in case you dont know what Ninja reload is:

Now, the funny thing about this thread is OP has a revolver as OP's icon.
Old 05-01-2013, 5:16 PM
Calguns Addict

And you don't 'thumb cock' revolvers, you shoot them double action like you are supposed to.

Not all revolvers are double action.

Please tell us how your going to do that with a single action Revolver.
Old 05-01-2013, 6:41 PM

Thumb? Cock?

Yep, the Women's Forum is the best on Calguns, for sheer entertainment and good solid info....
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 06-20-2013, 7:25 PM

I laughed pretty hard at this . I wanna date a Calguns girl...

"Quit snorting gun oil. Not only are those comp shooters hotter then every chick you've f**ked, but they'll clear a range of targets before you even blink."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir0nclash86 View Post
I would wipe it off for the simple fact of not wanting to get sprayed in the face with it during the first few rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Madone View Post
It does not matter.An AR is the very best and safest weapon to use for home defence.
Old 07-01-2013, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkezuncle View Post
Yeah, but let's be honest... these women all kinda look like men. It's like the East German swimming team all over.
I never knew I like women that looked so manly...

And going back on topic, I really can't believe women racking a slide is an issue anymore. Just like with anything shooting related, training and practice prevail over gender biases.

And back to off topic, maybe competition shooters aren't the best example for this discussion. Sorry Highlander51, but many if not most competition pistols (including the ones you pictured) have reduced recoil springs. Though I am certain the shooters shown are more than capable of handling factory spex pistols.

Additionally off topic (hoping her or her father don't find me and kill me), just across the jailbait threshhold...

Sorry ladies, I am torn by my utmost respect for you as shooters and my chauvinistic admiration of your form.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 07-01-2013, 4:43 PM

I have been 'racking slides' since I was 8 years old. That is over 52 years and counting. I have not found a firearm I cannot handle although some I am a might afraid of shooting nowadays because of being a little brittle
Old 07-01-2013, 5:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
I never knew I like women that looked so manly...

No issues with that one. Any guys I know would leave the lights on. The first 3 the OP showed needed to take DNA tests before competing as women.

Glad to see all you gals stay riled up. ;0
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No issues with that one. Any guys I know would leave the lights on. The first 3 the OP showed needed to take DNA tests before competing as women.

Glad to see all you gals stay riled up. ;0
Wow, glad you're paying attention...

This woman...

is the same as this woman...

"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wow, glad you're paying attention...

This woman...

is the same as this woman...

Then somewhere along the way she learned to smile, wear makeup and use a decent bra. Good for her! Paint does much for a less then perfect barn.

Still a little wide at the hips though.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
C3 Leader

omg this seriously went 3 pages??? lol....

OP: I do not disagree with you... I am a big fan of the 1911 although I trust a revolver just as well. It really depends on the situation. At least not much has changed since I've been offline with the squabbles and opinionated comments.

Racking the slide comes with practice. I believe certain semi-autos may be difficult for some ladies in the beginning, depending on their experience. For example, I have a fairly new Les Baer. The slide's tight and has to be "broken in." One of my GFs could not get it to work. That doesn't make her a bad shooter. Once the gun was cocked first, then the slide could be pulled back.

I don't care -- whatever works for a person, do it that way

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 AM

good grief, monkez!
the woman is shooting and is serious about shooting.
is she supposed to be relaxed and posing to make guys like you happy?!
you do realize this is the Ladies Forum and that your comments are a tad over the line?
and that Mr K created this forum so that the women of calguns could avoid comments such as you are making?
geez, get a life and post a picture of yourself so we can tell you what's wrong with you.
you are aptly named I might add......
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-02-2013, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
good grief, monkez!
the woman is shooting and is serious about shooting.
is she supposed to be relaxed and posing to make guys like you happy?!
you do realize this is the Ladies Forum and that your comments are a tad over the line?
and that Mr K created this forum so that the women of calguns could avoid comments such as you are making?
geez, get a life and post a picture of yourself so we can tell you what's wrong with you.
you are aptly named I might add......
Do you realize how hard it was for me to call him any disparaging and vulgar names? Maybe he should be called anchor because he really is doing his best to drag down male evolution into the abyss.

Old 07-02-2013, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

Can somebody make a shooting sports related commercial like this for little girls?

Old 07-02-2013, 2:44 PM

So apparently the Ladies Forum is a place for men to come post photos of female shooters and then comment on the merits of their facial beauty and their body shapes?

Wow.

BK
Old 07-02-2013, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So apparently the Ladies Forum is a place for men to come post photos of female shooters and then comment on the merits of their facial beauty and their body shapes?

Wow.

BK
Well we're just waiting for you all to talk about the latest things in sewing, cooking, and home appliances, while figuring out more efficient ways to get us our beer. And while you all are on that, we can look at your Victoria's Secrets catalog and our Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition

Now you all want to shoot semi-auto pistols when all you can handle and should have are .22s? You chicks have some nerve.

Btw, I sincerely apologize for posting the somewhat glam pics of female shooters. I'm not trying to promote or advance objectification of women even if I appreciate their skill and their aesthetic.

Old 07-02-2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Do you realize how hard it was for me to call him any disparaging and vulgar names? Maybe he should be called anchor because he really is doing his best to drag down male evolution into the abyss.

yes, I do......I had typed out a response to your post of "the better looking photos" and then I went back and re-read your response to his post/pictures and decided you were as a guy attempting to set him straight. glad I re-read your post because I was scathing.

he broke the rules for this forum......and if he were half the man you are he'd apologize.

the way I look at it he didn't get the subtle male hint, took the bait, and now gets to squirm. he's lucky he hasn't been reported to a mod.......still could happen
Quote:
Old 07-02-2013, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe he is just trying to

Now you have me wondering what your "scathing" response was zombie. Sorry, I find it entertaining at times when I am misunderstood or misinterpreted. So now you've piqued my curiosity.

Old 07-02-2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Well we're just waiting for you all to talk about the latest things in sewing, cooking, and home appliances, while figuring out more efficient ways to get us our beer. And while you all are on that, we can look at your Victoria's Secrets catalog and our Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition

Now you all want to shoot semi-auto pistols when all you can handle and should have are .22s? You chicks have some nerve.

No worries....we're just waiting for you men to get your heads out of your behinds.

Quote:
Btw, I sincerely apologize for posting the somewhat glam pics of female shooters. I'm not trying to promote or advance objectification of women even if I appreciate their skill and their aesthetic.

I get it. I get that you like shooting. I get that you like women. I get that you like women shooting. Yep, I got that. What concerns me is that some men are not able to stop themselves from posting this junk in the Ladies Forum. I don't know what compels the men to think that it's ok to post photos of women here in the LADIES forum and then comment on how ugly or manly or big-hipped they are. Total d-baggery if you ask me.

Your saving grace is that you were sheepish enough to admit to being silly.

BK
Old 07-02-2013, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No worries....we're just waiting for you men to get your heads out of your behinds.

Your saving grace is that you were sheepish enough to admit to being silly.

BK
You do realize that is where a lot of us do most of our thinking? Our heads fit best there because we are so narrow-minded

Aww, now you called me out as having a saving grace.

Old 07-02-2013, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

MEN! Op doesn't want you to fix the problem or her way of thinking she just wants you to listen!

I'm joking of course.

I can see OPs point of view and the quote she copied. I don't recommend heavy recoil small autos to most people unless they have a need/interest in that.

Sex has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 07-02-2013, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
Bug and/or Bonnie, i'm surprised you didn't verbally knock the snot out of some of the posters. geez, the testosterone on page 1 was enough to make me wonder if I was in the Ladies Forum.

page 2, post #57 is right on. have fun June 1! you are a smart man to figured it all out and how to deal with it.
Reflecting back, I really bit hard on monkezuncle's bait and actually fed his wants with the pics I posted. Also, the back and forth on page 1 reminded me a lot of the pissing matches that occur on other pages of the forum. Made me feel like apologizing more for my gender.

Old 07-02-2013, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Then somewhere along the way she learned to smile, wear makeup and use a decent bra. Good for her! Paint does much for a less then perfect barn.

Still a little wide at the hips though.
Tell that to her face sometime .

Calguns is no place for your inadequacy complex.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

Last edited by SilverTauron; 07-02-2013 at 5:10 PM..
Old 07-02-2013, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

My wife and two daughters like to shoot, and I am happy to guide them gently in any way I can. I have many personal inadequacies, but fortunately for me, chauvinism isn't one of them. Rock on, Ladies.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 07-02-2013, 6:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
omg this seriously went 3 pages??? lol....
I know right? Makes me chuckle so hard I can barely type.
Old 07-02-2013, 6:30 PM

This thread went for this many pages because you derailed it on page 1 by making ridiculous remarks about women shooters.

If you want to be a troll, there's a place for that. It's called the Off Topic forum.

BK
Old 07-02-2013, 6:49 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
I know right? Makes me chuckle so hard I can barely type.
That's the last chuckle from this forum for you.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.