Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-07-2012, 5:30 PM

Default Selecting a 9mm for my GF...

OK, so I read through this forum to try and gain some insight as to what 9mm would be best for my GF. Based on numerous responses, I concluded that the best course of action was to take my GF to the range as often as possible so she could try as many out as possible.

We haven't settled on one yet, but there is a front runner. I will post our experiences and update as we go along. There is no rush, but we hope to make a purchase here within the next two or three months. We just want to ensure we make the right purchase for us.

The reason why we are going with the 9mm is because we do not want to have too many guns in the house. We need to choose a handgun that is easy for her to handle. At the same time, it will be a gun that I can take to the range and have fun with myself. 9mm ammo is cheap relative to its caliber. I originally considered a .380 for her, but ammo cost is on the high side.

So here is the criteria:

-Must be 9mm: Ammo cost relatively cheap, manageable recoil, something I can shoot and enjoy myself.
-Must be lightweight.
-Must have a narrow grip.
-Cannot have a grip safety (will explain below).

I have taken the GF to the range about 4 times in the last 3 months. Here are the 9mm's we have rented so far and the feedback. All of the guns below were manageable to her in terms of recoil. It basically boiled down to grip comfort. She is also a petite gal so the gun has to be relatively light. So a polymer gun would make sense.

Glock 19 - This is the front runner so far. GF likes the grip the best. We rented a Glock on two occasions. We rented the ported version (19C) last night and the muzzle flash was throwing her off a bit. When it comes to purchase, we will most likely go with a non-ported version. We will give the Glock 17 a try out on the next trip.

Sig Sauer P229 - This was one of my GF's least favorite. She was not comfortable with the grip. It was too wide. Personally, this was my favorite to shoot. I loved shooting this gun. I felt I had really good accuracy shooting a P229. I liked it so much that I rented a P226 with the same results. However, the 9mm will be my GF's primary gun so the Sig has been crossed off the list.

Springfield XD - The GF liked the grip. However when it came time to shoot, she really struggled. After the first pull, it would jam. The first time it happened to her, it was an FTE. The second, third and fourth times, they were FTF's. Here's the kicker...the XD never jammed on me once. I took the first 10 rounds with no issues. After the very first shot on the second magazine is where the gun FTE'd. I cleared the jam and handed it back to her. Same thing, one shot and then this time FTF. I cleared the jam and then I went through the remaining rounds in the magazine with no issue. I loaded up another magazine and handed it back to her. Same problem. After first shot, FTF. Cleared it again. Same thing. After first shot, FTF. By this time, she had enough. Again, I finished off the magazine with no issues. I loaded up one more magazine and went through it myself...no issues. For some reason, this gun wouldn't fire for her, but I had no issues with it myself. I can only reason that the GF could not grip the gun properly. IDK. Ironically, she did not have a problem shooting my 1911 yesterday. Regardless, I can't risk buying a gun that she cannot operate properly. Other than this, I liked shooting this gun. I was pretty accurate.

Smith and Wesson M&P - My GF wasn't with me when I shot this. Targetmasters has a grip display for the M&P and the GF really like how the grip felt. So I took the liberty of trying one out the other day when I went to the range to put some more rounds through the 1911. I didn't have a good experience with the M&P. I couldn't shoot straight with the thing. Maybe I was just having a bad day. Also, the magazine was extremely difficult to load up. Maybe it was just because it was a rental magazine. IDK. I've read a lot of good things on this forums on the M&P and I'm going to give it another shot and this time I will bring the GF with me.

Here are a few other 9mm's we plan on trying out:

Beretta PX4
Glock 17
HK P2000
FNP9

If I'm missing anything else, please advise.

Thanks...and I hope this post is helpful if you're helping your significant lady friend choose a handgun.
Old 01-07-2012, 5:55 PM

Check out the Sig 225 and 239, both are available in 9mm and have a more narrow grip than the 226 or 229.
Old 01-07-2012, 6:52 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Small question on the jams as opposed to it not happening to you -- did you notice if the recoil was causing her wrist to break? Just curious if that could be one reason. Or, maybe the magazine wasn't quite seeded all the way enough to allow the rounds to not feed properly?

Glad to see you're trying to spend a lot of live fire time with her because some of the big problems with a semi-auto, as you may have noticed on this site, is squeezing the trigger and being able to rack the slide. Not everyone has the ability to work the mechanics of certain guns.

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 01-07-2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
Check out the Sig 225 and 239, both are available in 9mm and have a more narrow grip than the 226 or 229.
Thanks for the advice Trapper. I tried looking up the 225 on Sig's website. It wasn't listed. Has it been discontinued? We considered subcompacts, but want something a little more stable. So at minimum, we are looking at compact size 3.9 - 4 inch barrels.
Old 01-07-2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
Small question on the jams as opposed to it not happening to you -- did you notice if the recoil was causing her wrist to break? Just curious if that could be one reason. Or, maybe the magazine wasn't quite seeded all the way enough to allow the rounds to not feed properly?

Glad to see you're trying to spend a lot of live fire time with her because some of the big problems with a semi-auto, as you may have noticed on this site, is squeezing the trigger and being able to rack the slide. Not everyone has the ability to work the mechanics of certain guns.
It's definitely not magazine seating as I was the one loading each magazine into the gun. It's possible that recoil was causing her wrist to break...a definite possibility because she's still trying to discover technique.

She is still in the discovery mode with regards to trigger pull and grip, which is why thickness of grip is an essential in this search. I haven't been able to properly teach her racking the slide as she responds to training much better in private. It is difficult to teach her some things in a range environment. Although, I did have her rack the slide on the Glock 19 a couple of times yesterday. Another good feature on that gun is that the slide lock automatically locks when you rack the slide back.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Just as a point of interest, all semi-auto pistols you've mentioned will lock the slide to the rear if there is an empty magazine inserted.

I just had a couple of ladies, mother and daughter, out for some instruction before they decide to by a pistol. They correctly decided that it made more sense to learn to shoot correctly so that they'd have a basis to decide which gun shot best for them. They found that my S&W M&P9, with the small backstrap, was a very good balance between fit and controlability...with longer fingers, the medium one seems to fit a lot of folks too.

I'm not surprised that she felt comfortable with the G19. The grip angle is more natural for new shooters. She must have long fingers for it to feel comfortable with it's arched backstrap
Old 01-08-2012, 1:24 AM
Veteran Member

Check her grip and stance. Could be she could hold the pistol higher on the grip with the strong hand, which will cause her to take a firmer grip on the pistol, as well as bend her body forward slightly at the waist, which will let her extend her arms more and enable her to use her shoulders to absorb the recoil.

As to the recoil, encourage her to let the pistol muzzle rise and fall back to place in her hands. She doesn't need to control the pistol when it goes BANG! -- she just needs to hold it and follow through.

Also both of you will probably get a kick out of shooting an all steel 1911 in .45. She might even like it more than the 9mm. (And if she does, both of you could start reloading. lol)

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 01-08-2012, 8:55 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

i prefer all steel. i have a small hand and found that the colt officer's mark iv .45acp was a good fit and is fun to shoot. purchased from another calgunner AFTER he allowed me to shoot it at a range. however, this was not a first gun purchase for me and i was concerned re the .45acp kick. this gun was better than others i tried.

i realize you're looking at 9mm which i don't have experience with. i only mention my experience because masameet brought up the .45.

also, i thought there were some 9mm pistols that have backstraps/grips that can be changed out to fit a smaller hand?

kudos for doing this the right way! lots of research and then time at a range to make sure its the gun for HER.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the responses and good info which I will pass along.

I actually have a 1911. I let her shoot through one magazine the other night. She likes the grip on the 1911, but she's not comfortable with the weight.

Being the novice that I am, I'm indifferent to steel or polymer framed. I'm finding out with all these range visits that pretty much all of the popular guns listed are pretty accurate. I just need to find the one she falls in love with and then that's the one I'll buy.
Old 01-08-2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashard340 View Post
I actually have a 1911. I let her shoot through one magazine the other night. She likes the grip on the 1911, but she's not comfortable with the weight.
Grip angle/grip feel are meaningless compared to how one shoots the gun. Glocks feel like oversized bricks in my small hands but I shoot them well.

Weight and size of gun are funny things as well, especially for female shooters. Inexperienced shooters often make the false assumption that a lighter, smaller gun is easier to shoot, but that is the exact opposite of reality.

If she likes shooting a G19 I suggest you either get a full sized Glock (17 or even better, a 34) or a full-sized M&P since it sounds like this won't be used for concealed carry. Unless you have a good reason for a smaller pistol, don't short change yourself--go for a full-sized gun.
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Last edited by Flopper; 01-09-2012 at 2:04 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 4:24 PM

Check out a Ruger P95

Easiest centerfire pistol to rack the slide on I've ever felt.
Old 01-10-2012, 9:38 PM

I agree with the all steel. I've tried a Taurus 27/7 Pro (which I liked because of the amazing rubber grip, but alas....it fell off the "safe gun" list). I've also tried the Glock 17 and the M&P9, but after the advice of my bf's bro (LAPD) and his friend (Army) they both recommended an all steel gun because I was having a really hard time with the recoil on the polymer guns (I'm a small girl myself).

I decided on the CZ 75b and I actually prefer the all steel, even with the added weight. The extra weight helps with the recoil and it just feels a lot more balanced in my hands, which is definitely important to feel comfortable with the weapon.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashard340 View Post
... She likes the grip on the 1911, but she's not comfortable with the weight.

Being the novice that I am, I'm indifferent to steel or polymer framed. I'm finding out with all these range visits that pretty much all of the popular guns listed are pretty accurate. I just need to find the one she falls in love with and then that's the one I'll buy.
That's the thing about handguns -- the weight. Maybe instead of fixating on a 9mm, both of you could get a .22LR, like a new or used Buck Mark or Ruger. A few months later, after she feels comfortable shooting and can hit the target regularly, she can upgrade to a bigger pistol/caliber. By then, most likely she'll have tried other shooters' pistols at the range and will have narrowed down her choices.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 01-11-2012, 6:33 AM

My wife had no problems with my XD .45, though she did not like the recoil. What you describe sounds unusual to me.
Old 01-11-2012, 8:00 AM

i shot a Ruger .22LR about 6 months ago. could not believe how accurate i was with the thing having never shot one before. absolutely no kick to the thing but it certainly is big when compared to my other pistols, including the .45acp.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-11-2012, 8:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopper View Post
If she likes shooting a G19 I suggest you either get a full sized Glock (17 or even better, a 34) or a full-sized M&P since it sounds like this won't be used for concealed carry. Unless you have a good reason for a smaller pistol, don't short change yourself--go for a full-sized gun.
What makes the G19 anything less than a "full sized" gun?

- It holds 10 rounds, as much as any gun is allowed to
- The grip is long enough to fill the hand, no longer. For the GF it's probably perfect.

I say go for the G19.
Old 01-11-2012, 8:43 AM
NRA Benefactor Member
CGN Contributor

Kahr:
K9 - all steel, very comfortable grip
P9 - polymer frame, lighter
PM9 - polymer frame, unreal accurate for a gun this size, best CCW pistol going IMO.

If new or manufactured within the last few years, ignore any negative comments. They are high quality, reliable, and very, very accurate. Three of my sons, my sister-in-law, and I all carry them so I speak from experience. Never one malfunction after break in.
Old 01-11-2012, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Kahr is good, the slide might be a little too stiff though. Maybe even a Ruger...?

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 01-11-2012, 3:15 PM

I purchased a Sig Sauer SP2022 in the end of November, and am very pleased with the performance of the gun. It is not full frame, so it works better for those of us with smaller hands. Mine is chambered in 40 S&W because I wanted something with less recoil than a .45 but more oompf than a 9MM. It is available in 9MM as well.

Good luck to you both!
Old 01-13-2012, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakewithaGun View Post
I purchased a Sig Sauer SP2022 in the end of November, and am very pleased with the performance of the gun.

I second the SP2022. I have the 9mm version and love it. I didn't even realize there was a 40 version. Now I have to look into if I can buy a replacement slide and barrel for a reasonable price and have both!
If you shop around you can get the 9mm 2022 for a great price.

Also check out the Taurus P709 Slim. MUCH smaller than the SP2022 and I prefer the sig but still a great small gun.

Edit: no conversion barrel for a 9mm to 40. Only conversion barrels are made for the 40 version.

Last edited by kaligaran; 01-14-2012 at 9:29 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Let her pick out her oun gun.
Old 01-15-2012, 7:50 PM

Sig comes in 3 grip sizes so you might have had fat grips on, I LOVE my P226 and P229 and I am happy enough with my P239. Find out what grips are on the ones you have tried. Fat grips on a Sig and it can be a nightmare. As soon as I have skinny ones on, it is the biggest joy on earth. Remember all of those come in 40 and 9.

If you want an AMAZING German Shepherd, I know people www.ragnarshepherds.com.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

LC9, cheap, tiny, great little gun...
Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
LC9, cheap, tiny, great little gun...
I got one of these for my daughter, but she lives in a free state where she can concealed carry.

I also recommend the M&P 9 or 9c. The changeable grips straps make it fit nicely. I have both, and my wife and daughter love shooting them. My daughter's favorite is my HK P2000. She has expensive taste.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 AM

This issue with the XD is highly uncommon and in no way representative of the brand; they're GREAT pistols...

That being said, I prefer the Glock platform and the G19 was my first handgun and serves as an outstanding starter point to learn to shoot
Old 05-11-2012, 8:07 AM

I haven't updated this thread in a while and maybe it's about time. First off, Thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions. They were all taken into consideration. Secondly I would like to reinforce the notion that even though I may have had some concerns about some of the handguns mentioned, they are no way indicative of the quality, accuracy and overall reputation of that firearm. It is merely the users (my GF and myself) at fault. In this sense, I have had to adjust and find the right "fit" for my GF and myself. I have spent numerous hours searching these forums, as well as scouring the internet with as much data as possible.

@Leadingall - I had a good experience with the XD. My GF didn't. I attribute this to user error. I have discovered in recent weeks that my GF has a tendency to limp-wrist and we are attempting to correct the technique.

@ Ron-Solo - The interchangeable grips on the M&P were what attracted my GF to it. I did not have a good personal experience with the M&P. I do not quite understand why, but I never felt comfortable with the trigger and the magazines were surprisingly difficult to load. Again, I do not know why. My GF wasn't too particularly fond of it either. I would like to add that this in no way is a poor reflection of the M&P. With all of the research I have done, it will make a fine handgun for those that choose it.

So since my last post, things have slowed down somewhat. We did try the FNP-9 and my GF felt pretty good about that one. I loved it so much that I pulled the trigger on buying one (pun intended ). The search isn't necessarily over. The FNP-9 is for me. We are still searching for one for the GF. CZ is still on the list. We will consider Ruger and Kahr as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 8:17 AM

thanks for the update! its always good to have the info for future "searchers" such as you and your GF.

i'm glad you got the FNP-9 for yourself: when a gun is "you", you know it.

same will happen for your GF at some point. as she handles more and shoots more she may find that a pistol she didn't like earlier might now work for her.

experience is a great teacher and you're both going about it right.
Quote:
Old 05-11-2012, 8:21 AM

Thanks Movie Zombie. The GF is already encroaching on the FNP-9 even though it's still in jail. She really like that one and seems to be even more excited than myself.
Old 05-11-2012, 8:29 AM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/carry-g...ge-report.html
Old 05-11-2012, 8:58 AM

she may well take it over as her own!
good excuse to go get another one for you!?

personally, i didn't find it possible to buy only one........
Quote:
Old 05-11-2012, 9:43 AM

a bit off topic but what I found that really helped my GF was a crimson trace. Almost all her friends that we go shooting with like her gun more cuz of it and with it she gets amazingly good groups.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM

@ General - LC9 is on the list of handguns to try.

@ Movie Zombie - LOL! Odds are pretty good that we'll end up adding another one. She still likes the G19.

@ John.T.Singh - Eventually, I will accessorize with target assist options, but I want her to be able to handle her own firearm in the most basic way.
Old 06-20-2012, 3:22 PM

I got my fiancé a kahr cw9 fits her hand nice but the 9mm kick is a Lil much for her . She still likes me little 25acp :-(
Old 06-20-2012, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Should have gone with the heavier Kahr K9
Old 06-20-2012, 7:17 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

You might put the Ruger SR9 & 9c on the list too. I just tried one a few weeks ago and liked it.

Scott
Old 06-20-2012, 8:39 PM

I bought my wife a SIG 2022 9mm. She loves it. I do make powder puff loads for her.
Light weight comes with 2 grip sizes, great DA/SA trigger and can't beat the price for the quality.
Old 06-21-2012, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6789olds View Post
I got my fiancé a kahr cw9 fits her hand nice but the 9mm kick is a Lil much for her . She still likes me little 25acp :-(
A perfect example of why you shouldn't be choosing a gun for her. She should be choosing a gun for herself.
Old 06-21-2012, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRazz View Post
A perfect example of why you shouldn't be choosing a gun for her. She should be choosing a gun for herself.
GFT!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Old 06-21-2012, 9:05 AM

I agree that you should let her pick her own gun.

I have an M&P myself, as my home defense handgun. My wife is small, but she can shoot it well and rack the slide no problem. The small grips fit her hand great. However she does not prefer it. She picked out her own gun, which is a 4" Ruger Speed Six .357 that she shoots .38 Special out of. Its heavy enough that the recoil is almost nothing with a .38 Special round in it, and she is very comfortable with it.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM

Honestly take her shooting see what she enjoys shooting, with good instruction your GF/Wife will surprise you. I started off by renting a .22 revolver and she hated it, so we went to a Glock 19, she did much better. Then we switched to a P226 and she did pretty well, but where she really surprised me is when she picked up a .40 p226 and a .45 P220 and shot it like a champ.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos