Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-11-2012, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...ealed-weapons/

Okay, cool. So Illinois will get concealed carry, and most likely will have "Shall Issue" before California. What does this mean for California ?
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law
Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 PM

When Ill. goes "May Issue", sorry I do not even begin to think about "Shall Issue" since this ruling has so many scapegoats built into it, they will not be able to be overly burdensome or costly. It was pretty spelled out in the text regarding legitimate issues with Heller.

What Ill. will end up with is a NY/Cali-style issue system.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
When Ill. goes "May Issue", sorry I do not even begin to think about "Shall Issue" since this ruling has so many scapegoats built into it, they will not be able to be overly burdensome or costly. It was pretty spelled out in the text regarding legitimate issues with Heller.

So you're saying that their form of CCW will be LA, SF, OC, SD style CCW, which means no one will get a CCW.
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law
Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
So you're saying that their form of CCW will be LA, SF, OC, SD style CCW, which means no one will get a CCW.
In issuance, yes I believe so. Very few people will "qualify".

In regards to restrictions placed on CCW permits, probably more like NY: very few outside of federal buildings.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

You're ignoring the political situation in Ill, which is spelled out in the first few pages of this thread. There's a near-supermajority of pro-gunners in the Ill legislature. They're just short of being able to bypass the governor's veto on a shall-issue bill. With this decision, if they do nothing (and block all attempts to pass a bad CCW bill), they end up with constitutional carry. Chicago can't handle constitutional carry, so the anti's are forced to play ball.

I predict that they'll have a pretty good state-wide shall issue bill by summer. They might even be able to get rid of their FOID cards.

The only thing that can delay shall-issue CCW in Illinois is if the case goes en banc.

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

What in the living hell are you talking about?

Todd Vandermyde who is the head lobbyist in IL for both NRA-ILA & ISRA stated that both this Legislature and the next Legislature, we have a majority for "shall-issue".

May-issue isn't even in the cards. We can hold out and just get FOID carry. Anti-gunners need to beg us for concessions, not the other way around.

-Gray
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post

Todd Vandermyde who is the head lobbyist in IL for both NRA-ILA & ISRA stated that both this Legislature and the next Legislature, we have a majority for "shall-issue".

May-issue isn't even in the cards. We can hold out and just get FOID carry. Anti-gunners need to beg us for concessions, not the other way around.

-Gray
Playing devils advocate until I read it in print. Sorry, way too many let downs recently.

Political hot-potato may work, until the press throws out the first bad-shoot and the laws are then written counter to what pro-carry folks may want. Best bet is to throw out a strong shall-issue law now, IMHO. Politics is a fickle game, you don't want laws open if you lose the majority.

In the end though, all the best to our friends in Ill.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Playing devils advocate until I read it in print. Sorry, way too many let downs recently.

Political hot-potato may work, until the press throws out the first bad-shoot and the laws are then written counter to what pro-carry folks may want. Best bet is to throw out a strong shall-issue law now, IMHO. Politics is a fickle game, you don't want laws open if you lose the majority.

In the end though, all the best to our friends in Ill.
I trust Todd Vandermyde to know how to count votes. There is no danger that Illinois will go may-issue. We have the baton.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I trust Todd Vandermyde to know how to count votes. There is no danger that Illinois will go may-issue. We have the baton.
This. This is something NRA-ILA is competent at.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Uhm, by citing Mas, he's saying that people need to know the 4 rules. That's pretty darn pro gun.
The actual citation was:

Quote:
See Massad Ayoob, “The Subtleties of Safe Firearms Handling,” Backwoods Home Magazine, Jan./Feb. 2007, p. 30; Debra L. Karch, Linda L. Dahlberg & Nimesh Patel, “Surveillance for Violent Deaths—National Violent Death Reporting System, 16 States, 2007,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, p. 11, www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/ss/ss5904.pdf (visited Oct. 29, 2012).

The latter citation is probably referring to this bit:

Quote:
Context of the Injury and Associated Circumstances

Overall, unintentional firearm injury deaths occurred more commonly while victims were playing with a gun (29.9%), hunting (24.7%), showing a gun to others (14.3%), or loading or unloading a gun (10.4%). The circumstances of injury included thinking that a gun was unloaded, unintentionally pulling the trigger, and experiencing a gun malfunction (26.0%, 19.5%, and 5.2%, respectively) (Table 23).

So you could easily be right about that (and yeah, that makes it quite pro-gun). However, that conclusion requires interpretation and/or inference, whereas the support for competence testing clearly does not. That won't be a problem in the event an appropriate case winds up getting Posner and Flaum on the panel. It could easily be a problem otherwise. I'm very uncomfortable with such things being left to the luck of the draw. Courts are adept enough at cherry picking and "interpreting" things to suit their agenda as it is (witness the amount of abuse of Heller at the hands of the various anti-gun courts). They don't need help in the form of a less-than-explicit statement in a key decision.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And I say we give them none. They've given us none for far too long. It's about time they feel some of the legislative pain they've been subjecting us to.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsenerd View Post
KC is sounding pretty optimistic. Maybe the Mayan Calendar thing has some legitimacy.

Like I said, I've adjusted my outlook accordingly.

I am a realist, after all. Can't be failing to account for what happens in the real world...

The criticisms I have of the decision are more nits than anything else. The real value of this decision is strategic, and it is huge.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
And it should be mentioned, for CA residents who may be visiting Chicago next July...

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...119493094.html

-- Michael
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
That won't be a problem in the event an appropriate case winds up getting Posner and Flaum on the panel.
Or the three judges on the panel in Ezell. Wait, isn't that 5 of 10 active justices on the 7th Circuit?

Math, like Science - it works b--ches.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 PM

Here's how it will go...gunnies to grabbers:

"You guys want at least training in place before 180 days are up? Fine. Please us! We want no more FOID. We want Chicago permanently out of the gun control biz (strong preemption). We want unlimited cutlery carry to go with our CCWs. We want full reciprocity with anything that even smells like another CCW permit. We want lock-boxes for our boomthings at any of the few places we'll let you disarm us. We want you all to do the Funky Chicken Dance in Daley Plaza. You think we're kidding? You're going to have to give us a LOT before we'll concede to training requirements and costs over $10. Because all we have to do is sit here, twiddle our thumbs and fart in your general direction and in 180 days we get constitutional carry and one hell of a party in downtown Chi-town baby. Leave your gangbanger friends behind if you know what's good for 'em."

THAT is where we're at here.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 AM

Teehee. Giddy like a school girl.
Old 12-12-2012, 2:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Or the three judges on the panel in Ezell.
Well, only 2 of the 3, anyway (I've no idea if Rovner would side with the Moore decision or not). So make that 4 out of 10 at a minimum.

With 5/10 on our side, the chance of getting a favorable ruling from at least 2 out of the 3 judges is 50% (no surprise there).

With 4/10 on our side, that drops to 33%.

Quote:
Math, like Science - it works b--ches.
Yep.

Old 12-12-2012, 4:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
I have this fantasy where officials clearly acting in bad faith and contrary to the court's published opinion wind up being held in contempt...
I have a fantasy where they get life at hard labor unless their obstructionism causes someone to die in which case they get the death penalty.
Old 12-12-2012, 4:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JimMarch View Post

"You guys want at least training in place before 180 days are up? Fine. Please us! We want no more FOID. We want Chicago permanently out of the gun control biz (strong preemption). We want unlimited cutlery carry to go with our CCWs. We want full reciprocity with anything that even smells like another CCW permit. We want lock-boxes for our boomthings at any of the few places we'll let you disarm us. We want you all to do the Funky Chicken Dance in Daley Plaza. You think we're kidding? You're going to have to give us a LOT before we'll concede to training requirements and costs over $10. Because all we have to do is sit here, twiddle our thumbs and fart in your general direction and in 180 days we get constitutional carry and one hell of a party in downtown Chi-town baby. Leave your gangbanger friends behind if you know what's good for 'em."

^^^This!^^^

Oh, and along with the general excellence of the thinking and prediction, you made me laugh out loud as well!
Old 12-12-2012, 4:52 AM
Banned

I like this most recent expansion of gun rights.

Now if CA could become "shall issue" we'd be further down the road.

CDFingers
Old 12-12-2012, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JimMarch View Post

Yes. YES! Exactly this. Y'all need to understand what a good position this decision puts us in. Especially:

Quote:
We want lock-boxes for our boomthings at any of the few places we'll let you disarm us.
We could get IL to lead the way on neutering the Antis' politicized abuse of gun-free zones.

If we could get rid of the FOID, add pre-emption and reciprocity, and accede to shall-issue with modest training requirements, I daresay that IL could be one of the more gun-friendly places in the USA. Imagine that.
Old 12-12-2012, 6:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Whats wrong with vermont style? They have good cheddar too. :-D
Old 12-12-2012, 6:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

-Gray
I just wish I would have bet people on this forum that Illinois would be "Shall Issue" before California. I was pretty sure this would happen.

So my next prediction is that California will be the last state in the Union to go "Shall Issue", regardless of what a few California Sheriffs have done so far.

Godwin's law
Old 12-12-2012, 6:12 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

This is all good, but I won't be truly happy until the carry law means: Able to purchase gun legally = Allowed to carry gun concealed.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 12-12-2012, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
This is all good, but I won't be truly happy until the carry law means: Able to purchase gun legally = Allowed to carry gun concealed.
Well, the list of states that fit your definition is growing all the time!
Old 12-12-2012, 6:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This. This is something NRA-ILA is competent at.

-Gene

That is the NRA’s strength...
Old 12-12-2012, 6:31 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Updated Map

Wasn't sure if I should go with Green (yet), so I played it safe.

Man that's gotta hurt the anti's.

Thanks to all who made this happen and congratulations to our Illinois brothers and sisters.

Last edited by Regulus; 12-12-2012 at 6:47 AM.. Reason: Thanks and congratulations.
Old 12-12-2012, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
The state (IL) waits the entire 180 days and then appeals. They'll drag their feet and invent a barrage of delaying tactics until BHO appoints his next closet Marxist to the SCOTUS and its game over.
Not going to happen.

IL has 90 days to appeal to SCOTUS. IIRC, they have 14 days to motion for an en banc hearing. The clock is running.

If they are going to stall, they will make the en banc motion, shortly. Since this is a matter of striking a State law (a serious matter, for the courts), I suspect they will be granted that motion.

Should the CA7 take up the case en banc, the panel's decision will be removed. I'm assuming that a new briefing schedule will be issued... That will take up another 6 months or so. Then we will wait for a decision from the CA7. Could be another year from now.

Then, should this decision affirm the panels original decision, IL could stall further by appealing to the SCOTUS. That's another year to year and a half wait... June of 2015.

All during this time, the Law will remain in effect, as a stay will be granted at each and every step of the way.

The above doesn't take into consideration Woollard, or at this juncture, Kachalsky (which could conceivably put the final nail in their coffin, before an en banc decision).

Then we should also consider the 3 cases currently at the 9th (yes, this decision will have an affect upon them - good or ill). Should I also mention the NJ case? How about Gray's case?

This is the watershed moment we have been waiting for.
Old 12-12-2012, 6:39 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Wasn't sure if I should go with Green (yet), so I played it safe.

Man that's gotta hurt the anti's.

Nah, go with green -- as in the color of the involuntary donations made to SAF in response to silly Chicago ordinances to follow.

Reloading Clubs: SF, East Bay

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 12-12-2012, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

So this is the order in which I see the last seven hold out states becoming "Shall Issue".

1. Delaware

2. Rhode Island

3. Maryland

4. Massachusetts

5. New York

6. New Jersey

7. California

If anyone sees this different, chime in.

Godwin's law
Old 12-12-2012, 6:55 AM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
I wish I knew of a Brady Campaign discussion forum I could read now to see what they're saying.
The Gun Control & RKBA Group at Democratic Underground is a reasonable proxy.

http://upload.democraticunderground....=forum&id=1172

Here is a thread on yesterday's ruling: http://upload.democraticunderground.com/117291342

It's a weird place, though. If you spend more than a week there you notice it's the same people saying the same things again and again and again.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

Last edited by Mitch; 12-12-2012 at 6:58 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
So this is the order in which I see the last seven hold out states becoming "Shall Issue".

1. Delaware

2. Rhode Island

3. Maryland

4. Massachusetts

5. New York

6. New Jersey

7. California

If anyone sees this different, chime in.
I would swap 5 with 6, and add #8: D.C. (albeit not a state).

Case Status: Peña v. Cid (Handgun Roster). SF v. 44Mag (Mag Parts Kits). Bauer v. Harris (DROS Fees). Davis v. LA (CCW policy). Jackson v. SF (Ammo/Storage). Teixeira (FFL Zoning). First Unitarian v. NSA (Privacy). Silvester (Waiting Period). Schoepf (DROS Delay). Haynie (AW ban). SFVPOA v. SF (10+ mag possession ban). Bear in Public: Drake (3CA); Moore (7CA); Richards, Peruta, McKay (9CA).
Old 12-12-2012, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post

Like I said, I've adjusted my outlook accordingly.

I am a realist, after all. Can't be failing to account for what happens in the real world...

The criticisms I have of the decision are more nits than anything else. The real value of this decision is strategic, and it is huge.
Normally I'm a realist as well. I value your input because you're a realist and know a lot more than I do. When I read something like this, I just wait for the other shoe to drop. My guess would be an En Banc hearing that delays this out another couple of years. However, with the optimism being generated by just about everyone including you, I think my skepticism may be unwarranted.
We can help with loans and refi's. 10% of all commissions will be donated to CG.

Serving the greater San Diego area.

Aaron Ross - BRE #01865640
CA Broker
Old 12-12-2012, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizux View Post
I would swap 5 with 6, and add #8: D.C. (albeit not a state).
How about Hawaii?
Old 12-12-2012, 7:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Wasn’t sure if I should go with Green (yet) …
As Al Norris pointed out, it’s still too soon for a color change. It could be only 179 days (2013) or as long as 900+ days (2015).
Old 12-12-2012, 7:37 AM

Default "If" they are going to stall

This is Chicago/Il. folks. EXPECT a stall, expect en banc. Look at Ezell for a model - this is the same players. And the stay will continue in the meantime. See you at SCOTUS in 2015. I wish I were wrong, but the history says that's how this will play out. Great reading in the decision, and hopefully persuasive to the supes. Pray for the health of the Heller 5.
I am or have been a) a member of the board of directors of a gun club b) NRA certified rangemaster c) been a fund raiser for NRA foundation d) life member of SAF and e) trained several hundred new college age shooters here in the PRK. If you think that posting a bagillion times here on this board makes you special you are part of the problem in this state - put down the [expletive] keyboard and try doing something positive in the real world for a change you Fudd.
Old 12-12-2012, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
How about Hawaii?
Probably between MD and MA.

Old 12-12-2012, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKV View Post
This is Chicago/Il. folks. EXPECT a stall, expect en banc. Look at Ezell for a model - this is the same players. And the stay will continue in the meantime. See you at SCOTUS in 2015. I wish I were wrong, but the history says that's how this will play out. Great reading in the decision, and hopefully persuasive to the supes. Pray for the health of the Heller 5.
I'm not so sure you can look to Ezell for the model.

But if you do. . .

Remember that Chicago lost Ezell at CA-7? I don't recall their asking for en banc or asking for cert? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly?
Old 12-12-2012, 7:56 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post
As Al Norris pointed out, it’s still too soon for a color change. It could be only 179 days (2013) or as long as 900+ days (2015).
I've been following this thread and understand the uncertainty of the next 179 days (or more).

The map was symbolic and a poke at the anti's.

Last edited by Regulus; 12-12-2012 at 8:05 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 8:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
It might have to do with the fact that Posner and Flaum were appointed by Reagan. Williams was appointed by Clinton.

Our votes matter.
True, and unlike some here enamored with law and legal reasoning, politics matter even in judge's chambers....

IL needs to use the "carry cliff" to bargain to get the NRA's Model Castle Doctrine law which includes, among other things, "stand your ground" and bars the BG and/or his survivors from suing the LTC/CCWer if there is no criminal conviction for the shooting.