Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Sonoma

UPDATE (2015 March 03):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I was just at the sheriff's updated website and his updated CCW webpage (http://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw).

Here's the GC and GMC part w/bolding added by me:

GOOD CAUSE FOR ISSUANCE:

The applicant must establish that there is good cause for the Sheriff to issue a California Concealed Weapons (CCW) license in the County of Sonoma. The defensive benefit of carrying a concealed firearm in public must be weighed against the risk of surprise to law enforcement, the risk of avoidable and dangerous conflict escalation in a public setting, and the risk to general public safety that discharging firearms poses to law enforcement and bystanders alike; therefore, the Sheriff has determined that good cause to issue a CCW license will generally only exist in conditions of necessity. Accordingly, applicants should be able to provide convincing evidence of the following:

(a) There is an existing and significant threat of death or grave bodily injury to the applicant, or his/her immediate family, which cannot be reasonably avoided or adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which threat would be significantly mitigated by the carrying of a concealed weapon.

(b) The applicant establishes that circumstances exist requiring him or her to transport in public significant amounts of valuable, or inherently dangerous property, which would be impractical to entrust to the protection of an armored car or equivalent service for the safe transportation of valuables.

(c) The applicant is currently employed by a security firm having all requisite licenses, and provides satisfactory proof that his or her work is of a nature that requires the carrying of a concealed weapon in public.

(d) The applicant is a duly appointed Sonoma County Reserve Deputy as defined in Penal Code § 830.6.

(e) The applicant is a member of the magistrate either presiding and/or residing in the County of Sonoma.

MORAL CHARACTER / GOOD JUDGEMENT

Applicants must demonstrate that they have a history of using sound judgment, and that their everyday lives are unsullied by traits that may impair their ability to safely handle a firearm, under stress, in a public setting. A determination as to one's moral character and judgment is discretionary, and based on the totality of the applicants qualifications presented on a case by case basis. Factors or traits which will bear negatively on issuance are:

(a) A long-term history of mental or emotional instability, alcoholism, drug use or addiction to controlled substances.

(b) A history of fault in serious accidents with firearms, automobiles or other dangerous instruments / equipment.

(c) A history of citations, arrests, convictions, civil law suits, employment discharges, license denials, license revocations or other actions indicating a possible propensity for violence, moral turpitude, dishonesty, or carelessness with weapons.
UPDATE: The Sonoma sheriff gutted the Good Cause requirement after Peruta 3-judge panel decision, but reversed course when it was stayed 2 weeks later:

Quote:
PERUTA v. COUNTY of SAN DIEGO

On 2/13/2014 the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office dropped the "good cause" standard for issuing conceal carry permits after the requirement was struck down that day by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. The court ruled that the Second Amendment bars California counties from requiring law-abiding gun owners who want to carry concealed firearms to demonstrate special, individualized needs for protection.

On 2/28/2014, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decided to withdraw their decision in the above case by a decision to rehear the case En Banc. The Court has ordered a stay on the issuance of their previous mandate from 2/13/2014, which only required an applicant to state a need of “self defense” as their reason for desiring a CCW License. Therefore, as of 2/28/14 the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office will revert back to requiring all applicants to supplement the “good cause” statement for the CCW License in accord with Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office Policy 219 and California Penal Code section 26150(a)(2).
From: https://www.facebook.com/sonoma.sher...03383356527670

Anyone who gets denied in Sonoma Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification....

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-09-2015 at 5:31 AM.. Reason: removed GCS avail from title; added update to OP
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I was just at the sheriff's updated website and his updated CCW webpage (http://www.sonomasheriff.org/ccw).

Here's the GC and GMC part w/bolding added by me:

GOOD CAUSE FOR ISSUANCE:

The applicant must establish that there is good cause for the Sheriff to issue a California Concealed Weapons (CCW) license in the County of Sonoma. The defensive benefit of carrying a concealed firearm in public must be weighed against the risk of surprise to law enforcement, the risk of avoidable and dangerous conflict escalation in a public setting, and the risk to general public safety that discharging firearms poses to law enforcement and bystanders alike; therefore, the Sheriff has determined that good cause to issue a CCW license will generally only exist in conditions of necessity. Accordingly, applicants should be able to provide convincing evidence of the following:

(a) There is an existing and significant threat of death or grave bodily injury to the applicant, or his/her immediate family, which cannot be reasonably avoided or adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which threat would be significantly mitigated by the carrying of a concealed weapon.

(b) The applicant establishes that circumstances exist requiring him or her to transport in public significant amounts of valuable, or inherently dangerous property, which would be impractical to entrust to the protection of an armored car or equivalent service for the safe transportation of valuables.

(c) The applicant is currently employed by a security firm having all requisite licenses, and provides satisfactory proof that his or her work is of a nature that requires the carrying of a concealed weapon in public.

(d) The applicant is a duly appointed Sonoma County Reserve Deputy as defined in Penal Code § 830.6.

(e) The applicant is a member of the magistrate either presiding and/or residing in the County of Sonoma.

MORAL CHARACTER / GOOD JUDGEMENT

Applicants must demonstrate that they have a history of using sound judgment, and that their everyday lives are unsullied by traits that may impair their ability to safely handle a firearm, under stress, in a public setting. A determination as to one's moral character and judgment is discretionary, and based on the totality of the applicants qualifications presented on a case by case basis. Factors or traits which will bear negatively on issuance are:

(a) A long-term history of mental or emotional instability, alcoholism, drug use or addiction to controlled substances.

(b) A history of fault in serious accidents with firearms, automobiles or other dangerous instruments / equipment.

(c) A history of citations, arrests, convictions, civil law suits, employment discharges, license denials, license revocations or other actions indicating a possible propensity for violence, moral turpitude, dishonesty, or carelessness with weapons.
Old 03-03-2015, 3:39 PM

Right. But DOJ still allows these people to BUY guns. I'm not sure where the fine line is between the DOJ saying one is safe when:
- Pass a background check
- pass a written Firearms Safety Certificate Test
- purchase and own a 'California approved safe roster" handgun

But as soon as you have an automobile accident your ability to possess a CCW permit is at stake.

I sure hope that any of those LEO's who negligently discharged their pistols and rifle at the Circle S shooting range (which then caused the range to do hundreds of thousands of dollars in improvements) aren't allowed to CCW. If so, that would be quite a double standard.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM

Default My Own SRPD Experience

So I applied to the SRPD back in January. Getting to that point took some work. My reason for applying may be more specific than others, as I have an order of protection for being a victim of an assault and the criminal has completed his sentence and is being released from prison. I was able to include a copy of the protective order with my application.

I went in November to pick up the application packet. I was told (as others have said) that I needed to provide everything required other than the Psych Eval in order for my application to be accepted. I expressed that I was hoping to not incur all of the extra expenses (finger printing, training, doctor, etc...) unless I knew my application was acceptable, but I was told that SRPD requires everything up front, soooo... In December I went to FrontSight in NV and did their 4 Day Defensive handgun and 1 day CCW courses. (Talk about an amazing experience. I highly recommend them!) They require an original certified birth certificate, copy of DL and SS Card were required. I had to order a certified copy from out of the area and wait on that.... While waiting I did Live Scan finger printing (paid $113), I got my three reference letters, and the form signed by my doctor. Also in some places the paperwork said NOT to sign it or complete certain portions and in other places it said to complete and sign it, so I printed two copies, one each way. Once I had everything completed and compiled I walked it into the SRPD. I was told at the counter that in order to submit it I needed to make an appointment. I left a message at the SRPD for Det. Boettger asking to make the appointment. He called me back and said no appointment was needed and that I should just drop it off, so I went back and did so. A couple weeks later I received another call from Boetther asking me to come in for an interview. We made an appointment for the next day. I went in and had my interview with him and his superior. They asked additional questions about info provided on my application and said they would be submitting my application to the Chief. About a week later I received a call letting me know that we had reached the point in the process when they were ready to schedule my Psych Eval. I was asked what days of the week worked best for me. I got a call back the next day with my appointment info. (I was told that this is not specific to me. ALL SRPD applicants are required to do the Psych Eval if they make it that far in the process without being denied.)

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of driving all the way to Los Gatos for that appointment. I paid $150 (which had to be in cash... be ye forewarned.. I was not.) I had to arrive by 8am. I spent 4 and half hours completing written fill in the bubble questionnaires that asked for ALOT of information. I almost did not make it through the written portion because I was offended that in order to exercise my constitutional right to protect my life I was having to forfeit my right to privacy. The questions asked were very personal and many of them would have been self-incriminating had I needed to answer them in the affirmative. I held in my frustration and completed the evaluations. Then I had a 45 minute interview with the psychologist. (He was really nice.) At the end of the interview he said, I am not allowed to discuss the results with you, but I assume that you know what this means. The this he was referring to was a thumbs up. I have heard nothing since then from the SRPD, so I assume they are waiting for the DOJ/FBI info to be returned.... I have vowed to wait until I have the permit in my hand before making any noise, but this process must be fixed. I will post again if I hear anything new or get formally approved of denied.

It is my opinion (based Only on my own experience) that SRPD is not opposed to issuing to those the demonstrate an actual need based on a credible threat. Most people in the city of Santa Rosa will never have a need to use a concealed weapon and therefore do not have a "legitimate need" to carry one. Simply writing the words Legal Self Defense is probably not going to fly with them, but providing a SPECIFIC reason that you have a "legitimate need" may produce better results. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I am not saying that I agree with that policy. I am just reporting on my observation. As I said, when my process is complete I will do what I can to change this process for others because the Psych Eval especially went well beyond what ANYONE should have to disclose in order to apply. Sorry for the long post.....
Old 03-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

That has to be the best write up for the SRPD process I have ever read. Thank you for that
Old 03-09-2015, 1:30 PM

Old 03-10-2015, 8:19 PM

I highly recommend that anyone considering applying with for a CCW through SRPD wait a couple of weeks. I spoke with them again today and was told that I have been a bit of a test case/guinea pig and that they are currently modifying their process/requirements to help streamline it for others. It sounds like they will be good improvements. I have provided them with quite a bit of feedback.

Again, I will update when I hear more.
Old 03-10-2015, 9:16 PM
In Memoriam

g'luck
Old 03-11-2015, 9:31 AM

At least it sounds like it's becoming possible for those of you living in SR, even though it's an overly burdensome process. That's better than those of us under the sheriff's jurisdiction where it's a flat 'no'.
Old 03-13-2015, 1:00 PM

There is a forum on March 30th for the public to ask questions of the candidates for Chief of Police in Santa Rosa. The current acting chief is likely to be one of these candidates. It might be a good chance to ask questions about their position on CCW. Here is a link to the details: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/36...to-hold-public
Old 03-26-2015, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

deleted

Last edited by MudCamper; 01-18-2023 at 10:11 AM..
Old 04-07-2015, 1:27 PM

Keeping in mind that my reason for applying may be more specific than others, as I have an order of protection for being a victim of an assault and the criminal has completed his sentence and is was recently released from prison....

Nevertheless, I am pleased to announce that the City of Santa Rosa approved my application, and I picked up my CCW permit at the police station this morning. I AM LEGAL!!!

They are still waiting for the outcome of the Peruta case to determine how they will proceed with other applications, but I think that mine being issued is a good sign.
Old 04-07-2015, 3:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquai View Post
Keeping in mind that my reason for applying may be more specific than others, as I have an order of protection for being a victim of an assault and the criminal has completed his sentence and is was recently released from prison....

Nevertheless, I am pleased to announce that the City of Santa Rosa approved my application, and I picked up my CCW permit at the police station this morning. I AM LEGAL!!!

They are still waiting for the outcome of the Peruta case to determine how they will proceed with other applications, but I think that mine being issued is a good sign.
Congrats!!!

Be sure to encourage others you know who may qualify to apply.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquai View Post

That calls for

Congrats!

"...We shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations...." --Patrick Henry

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Old 04-16-2015, 6:38 AM

I wouldn't say its a good sign. I would say they are issuing because they have no other recourse, as you have a very specific need for a CCW with historical justification.

Either way, congrats.

Old 05-17-2015, 3:18 PM

FANTASTIC!!
Old 07-11-2015, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For folks who want to improve CCW issuance in Sonoma Co, plz see my posts (~6 or 9 of them IIRC), starting at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post16593010

Last edited by Paladin; 10-08-2015 at 9:58 PM..
Old 07-12-2015, 11:55 AM

The Sonoma County Republican Party(SCRP) is hosting a Day at the Range fundraiser in Santa Rosa next Saturday. It is help at a small pistol range on private property just outside the city limits. A $50 donation to the SCRP gets you a ticket that includes a BBQ lunch. There are only a handful of tickets left. Tickets can be purchased online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/day-at-...ts-17247595021 Lots of newbies... we partner with the local NRA to have trainers available and a variety of handguns for folks to try. It is a fun time. Also a great place to talk to other gun enthusiasts in Sonoma County.

Last edited by Naquai; 07-12-2015 at 4:26 PM..
Old 07-12-2015, 4:27 PM

I corrected the URL.... Sorry about that. The link is https://www.eventbrite.com/e/day-at-...ts-17247595021
Old 04-20-2016, 9:03 PM

Can someone link me the Sonoma good cause statements please? I've been looking but can't find them.

John 14:6
Old 04-21-2016, 8:37 AM

Not...sure...if...you're...serious?

You have virtually zero chance currently in Sonoma Co. unless you have some EXTRAORDINARY circumstances.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Very serious. The approved good cause statements for each county used to be here for download, where did they go?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:38 PM

There is no "approved good cause statement" for Sonoma Co.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Weren't these part of a public records request to each county? I know I've seen the ones for Solano county and I think Marin. They were posted here for download previously so people could look for good cause statements from existing license holders in that county and hopefully find one that was similar to their own situation. We're there never any released from Sonoma?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Banned

I remember reading them too... They were 3 available.. I remember one of them being a real estate agent who needed to show homes in dangerous places, and another being a home owner that needed to access a public road between their two properties which was dangerous, and the third one being for a victim of abuse and stalking whose criminal was being released from prison and is now in danger
Old 04-22-2016, 7:25 AM

Default Good Cause

I was that third example. Domestic Violence survivor, but I am in City of Santa Rosa, so mine was issued SRPD rather than the Sheriff's Dept. They told me it was the first one SRPD had issued in 20 years.

To my knowledge there are no blanket good cause statements that Sonoma County will accept. Your best bet is to find a good reason specific to your circumstances. They told me to be specific and detailed.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

deleted

Last edited by MudCamper; 01-18-2023 at 10:11 AM..
Old 09-26-2016, 3:20 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Cut and paste from the main sonoma county thread from someone else:

"Quick update on you guys in the process of applying for Sonoma CCW and have not received anything back yet.

I called today and spoke with a lady in the Sheriff’s Office Investigations Bureau (565-2185) and she was able to look up my application. The good news is I had been approved a while ago but there is currently a hold on releasing all approvals pending development of their new psychiatric evaluation policy.

She said mid-October they will be mailing out all their applications that have been pre-approved, but as of right now they are just sitting on a big stack of already approved apps."
Old 09-26-2016, 8:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From the reading of the new "Good Cause" it seems you need to be in the process of reloading and shooting at bad guys in order to get approved.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

deleted

Last edited by MudCamper; 01-18-2023 at 10:12 AM..
Old 09-28-2016, 9:07 AM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

I'm hesitant to apply since I don't live in: "unincorporated Sonoma County or the Cities of Windsor, Sonoma, Cloverdale, Cotati or Healdsburg"
Old 10-28-2016, 6:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
Submitted my second app today. Commence waiting.
1 month down, less than 60 days to go!
Old 10-28-2016, 7:18 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Word of mouth says the sheriff is going to the board of supervisors to find out what they want the psych exam to be, but it sounds like it's moving forward. Ish.
Old 10-29-2016, 7:15 AM

I'd like to go to the BOS meeting and remind them that it already takes
- Background check to buy the gun
- 10 day wait to buy the gun
- handgun safety exam to buy the gun
- background check and permit to buy the ammo (likely)
- a day of classroom training for the permit
- a day of range training for the permit
- driving, fuel, time off to attend all these classes, back and forth from gun stores
- 3 letters of reference
- 3rd background check for the permit
- fingerprinting at the SO

And now a psych evaluation

How many barriers, expenses, demands of time, wear and tear on roads do they want just for people to get a permit?

Maybe I'll write all this up and present in opposition to the eval.

Old 10-29-2016, 4:07 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

When's the meeting and is it public? I wouldn't mind sitting in on it.
Old 10-29-2016, 4:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
When's the meeting and is it public? I wouldn't mind sitting in on it.
http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Board-of-Supervisors/

http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Board-of-...sors/Calendar/

Looks like they have meetings twice per month on Tuesdays starting at 8:30 am.

I'd Rx checking the agenda for each meeting a week ahead of time, the Sunday before it meets and the night before it meets to see if there are any last minute changes (e.g., they slip in a meeting w/the sheriff to keep it low profile).
Old 10-29-2016, 4:43 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Gilla, get to prepping your speech. I'll go with you, if we can make it work schedule wise!
Old 10-29-2016, 4:47 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Looks like the first reading of that particular issue is THIS TUESDAY THE 1ST AT 9:30 AM!

http://sonoma-county.granicus.com/Ge...2&event_id=666

http://sonoma-county.granicus.com/Me...meta_id=205789
Old 10-29-2016, 4:52 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

" Incorporating a psychological evaluation into the CCW permit process would serve the health and safety of the community by preventing unsuitable applicants, and those who would constitute a threat to him-/herself or the community if issued a CCW permit, from legally carrying concealed firearms. The evaluation would include psychological testing, a mental status exam, a face-to-face clinical interview, and a one-page written report. The evaluation would take approximately 3.5 hours to complete and would be conducted locally in Santa Rosa. The psychological evaluation would occur after the fingerprint check but before the training course."

"The cost to the Sheriff’s Office of providing a psychological evaluation of a pre-approved CCW permit applicant is significantly higher than $150, which does not adequately cover the cost of 3.5 hours of service by a board-certified psychologist. The Penal Code ceiling on the psychological testing rate has been a deterrent to the medical professionals who can provide these evaluations, but the California Government Code, Section 54985, provides authority to recover the actual costs that are reasonably appropriate for providing these services. The Sheriff’s Office recognizes that this new and higher fee may represent a financial burden to applicants. However, the Sheriff’s Office strongly believes that a psychological evaluation will be an important addition to the CCW permit process for the health and safety of the community and that the fee increase is appropriate to provide the service.

The proposed fee for psychological evaluations of CCW permit applicants to be established by the Board of Supervisors and to be collected by the Sheriff’s Office is $555. This fee is based on an amount reasonably appropriate to recover the cost of providing the services. This would increase the total cost of a new CCW permit from $212 to $767. This fee is non-refundable and subject to revision on a yearly basis."

Last edited by Spyder; 10-29-2016 at 4:56 PM..
Old 10-31-2016, 8:59 AM

So the "cost" to the sheriff's dept. will be greater than $150. This results in charging an exorbitant fee to us. Apparently, the fact that we're taking 3.5 hours out of OUR time doesn't matter to them.

They should just call it what it is, a way to say we're "loosening" GC standards, while adding a different layer of deterrent ($$$) in it's place.