Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 12-19-2015, 5:32 PM

Default Help choosing optics

I'm hoping to get some help with choosing a sight setup for my first AR15 build.

I am doing a very budget oriented build using PSA upper and lower. 16 inch Chrome-lined barrel with standard hand guards and an A2 sight.

I plan on using the rifle for up to 100 yards as I mainly shoot in the desert with my own targets.

Locally so far I have found an MBUS and a Matech BUIS as well as some various branded red dot sights.

I would like if someone could lists some pros and cons or experiences. This is my first AR so I'm not sure what to expect yet.

To expand on this a little more. I am thinking that iron sights would serve me best since this is my first AR build... Out of the Magpul and Match, what do you guys recommend?

Last edited by *bryce*; 12-19-2015 at 6:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 12-20-2015, 9:08 AM

Well, when it comes to anything gun related, you get what you pay for. Magpul is fine. If you are on a budget and want to get into a RDS you might want to look into PrimaryArms. They have a cheap cool made in China micro RDS that has received some positive reviews.
Old 12-20-2015, 2:45 PM

I started with the Magpul MBUS and loved them, but my eyes arent the greatest so I moved to scopes.

I recently bought both these optics below to replace two sets of MBUS sights. I have the PA red dot on a pistol build, and the Sightmark 1-6 on a AR rifle build. They are both what I consider "affordable" and the quality cant be beat for the price. Of course that is my opinion, but I am very happy with both optics.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s01

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-21-2015, 7:46 AM

Thanks for the replies. I spent about 12 hours researching after posting this. I ended up finding an eBay listing for a Magpul Pro BUIS for $76. I was hoping to find a fixed sight to add but didn't find anything I liked that had dual aperture.
Old 12-22-2015, 9:07 PM

How's it going Vegas, I started this thread specifically for people looking for iron sights

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1094695

Take a look at it, I think it would help you out some, good luck
Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Get an inexpensive red dot like the Bushnell TRS25 or whatever. It will be more enjoyable for you and you'll shoot your rifle more.

As you get better at fundamentals you'll probably want iron sights and since you have a FSB a carry handle would be perfect. They're a lot of fun, versatile, and you can find them for little cost if you look around.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

ACOG for blasting away I'm the desert.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 01-07-2016, 9:56 PM

Hey guys sorry for not replying sooner. For some reason I never got an update on this thread.

I ended up getting a Magpul pro BUIS and am hoping to go take the AR out tomorrow or maybe this weekend (Weather depending).

With that being said I also sprung for the KNS Precision sight kit. I installed the .052 round sight and hope to sight that in. It seems to be a good upgrade but I may even go for the slightly larger round sight just for the simple sake of my left eye being better but I shoot right handed.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Irons are great to have since they can't really fail and in my opinion really help you understand the pros/cons of zeroing at different distances.

But I am a big red dot fan. You can add a magnifier if needed, its much faster acquisition/transition, the quality vs the price point is constantly getting better, and it makes it easy for even the most inexperienced person to be successful.

I would recommend considering one of the following:

Vortex SPARC

Aimpoint Pro

Vortex Spitfire (etched reticle)

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:33 AM

I've run my AR with rear and front MBUS and a MD-06. Has worked fine for me (I usually shoot steel at around 200 yards).
Old 01-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
Irons are great to have since they can't really fail and in my opinion really help you understand the pros/cons of zeroing at different distances.

But I am a big red dot fan. You can add a magnifier if needed, its much faster acquisition/transition, the quality vs the price point is constantly getting better, and it makes it easy for even the most inexperienced person to be successful.

I would recommend considering one of the following:

Vortex SPARC

Aimpoint Pro

Vortex Spitfire (etched reticle)

-Matt S.
Use irons for awhile till you are comfortable then take the above advice. Red Dot Sights (rds) are great. Vortex makes great products and doesn't break the bank as much as a aimpoint would per say. Each has pros and cons. Good luck.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFarmer74 View Post
Use irons for awhile till you are comfortable then take the above advice. Red Dot Sights (rds) are great. Vortex makes great products and doesn't break the bank as much as a aimpoint would per say. Each has pros and cons. Good luck.
I'm actually trying to work out a deal with someone locally who has a Vortex Strikefire 1 for $125. I'm not sure if that is that great of a deal but I couldn't see any on eBay for less than $160~
Old 01-11-2016, 2:57 PM

The strikefire is a good rds but the dot is a bit too big especially with a magnifier. I currently use the spitfire 1x that has the DRT reticle and a 3 MOA dot. The strikefire is a 4 MOA dot so it's slightly bigger. I also have a sparc 2 that has a 2 MOA dot as well. I just can't use the sparc 2 due to my astigmatism. I'll send you a pm with other info.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk