Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-09-2018, 7:31 PM

Still waiting too. 96 days. They are swamped. And last week was a holiday in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-10-2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0to View Post
Still waiting too. 96 days. They are swamped. And last week was a holiday in the middle.

Wow, there're a few people here on this thread went over 90 days. I thought they would act when this gets close to this timeline.

Try give the clerk a courteous call.
Old 07-10-2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
(1) Without going into so much detail so as to ID yourself, what was your Good Cause like?

(2) Do you know Sheriff Gore, either professionally or personally?

(3) Have you ever donated to Sheriff Gore's election campaign?
I'll add to this.

1. GC is work related, travelling to unsafe parts of town, unincorporated/desert area; odd hours during travel driving alone; carry equipment if stolen can be sold easily.

2. I do not know Sheriff Gore or have affiliation with SDSO.

3. I did not donate to Sheriff Gore.
Old 07-13-2018, 7:53 PM

I like this thread. It makes me smile, in Texas.
Old 07-14-2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San_Diego_Shooter View Post
I like this thread. It makes me smile, in Texas.

I used to live in OKC a few years prior to moving back to San Diego, took the class and applied, took them only 3 weeks to issue. My permit was for 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
I used to live in OKC a few years prior to moving back to San Diego, took the class and applied, took them only 3 weeks to issue. My permit was for 10 years.
Not quite understanding if you're commenting about a permit in SD or OK. We lived in SD for about 28 years in total and never would have been issued a CCW. So, all the cow towing to Gore is beyond the pale.
Old 07-15-2018, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San_Diego_Shooter View Post
Not quite understanding if you're commenting about a permit in SD or OK. We lived in SD for about 28 years in total and never would have been issued a CCW. So, all the cow towing to Gore is beyond the pale.

I was commenting on both. In OKC, it was very simple to get comparing to San Diego.

Old 07-15-2018, 7:34 PM

San Diego County Gun Owners (Schwartz et al) made a push and Gore played a political game where he said he would loosen up on CCW's in San Diego.

Yes, I am one who put a CCW application in 3 years ago with Peruta and again back in April when a lot of people were saying that things had loosened up.

Now that Gore was re-elected, I can tell you that my rejection letter came yesterday with a very vague reference to how they found something during their 'investigation' that "casts doubt on the good moral character criteria...". My 90 days spanned the election and when Dave Meyer did not win, I was even less optimistic.

I went through the process hoping that it might happen, full expecting the rejection letter and the ploy by Gore to get votes and collect money from people like me. Your fee (~ $108) is NOT refundable and due upon submitting application. Typical bait and switch by a politician!
Old 07-15-2018, 7:53 PM

I believe there is an appeals process. Is there a way to force them to be specific about their issue? At a minimum, I would think you are entitled to that, although that sort of common sense and fairness has little application in this situation.

Anyone else get a rejection for GMC?

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I would talk to SDCGO straight away and get advice.
I would assume they will recommend to appeal, and may ask if you can think of what it is they might be talking about as far as "casting doubt" on GMC. Perhaps some recent documents from others attesting to GMC will remove this "doubt" they write of if presented to them during an appeal. You either are or are not, so "doubt" seems weak enough to appeal them on it. I would press on for sure and good luck.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-16-2018, 1:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Always appeal! Especially if $108. means something to you.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:46 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder88 View Post
Now that Gore was re-elected, I can tell you that my rejection letter came yesterday
Wanna see my shocked face?

Lotta people sucked down The Hero of Ruby Ridge's BS hook, line & sinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 07-16-2018, 7:57 PM

Mine showed up Friday. Follow on appt set for next week to pick up the permit.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhbst View Post
That's 111 days from my interview (I only had one, they did the whole thing in one shot) until yesterday. Called this morning, and they said I'm in the after panel process and should hear something in the next week or two.
Denial came, insufficient good cause. "We encourage you to explore other means of protection."
Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
San Diego County Gun Owners (Schwartz et al) made a push and Gore played a political game where he said he would loosen up on CCW's in San Diego.
SDCGO said they got him to expand his acceptable GC, that's all.

Quote:
Yes, I am one who put a CCW application in 3 years ago with Peruta
Did you get issued or denied on this application? If denied, what was the reason? (e.g., insufficient GC? lack of GMC?) What was the GC you used then like?

Quote:
and again back in April when a lot of people were saying that things had loosened up.

Now that Gore was re-elected, I can tell you that my rejection letter came yesterday with a very vague reference to how they found something during their 'investigation' that "casts doubt on the good moral character criteria...". My 90 days spanned the election and when Dave Meyer did not win, I was even less optimistic.
So your 2018 app got denied for lack of GMC, not for insufficient GC.

Quote:
I went through the process hoping that it might happen, full expecting the rejection letter and the ploy by Gore to get votes and collect money from people like me. Your fee (~ $108) is NOT refundable and due upon submitting application. Typical bait and switch by a politician!
You're arguing that because you got denied for lack of GMC that somehow shows that Gore "bait and switch[ed]" the GC standard to get elected??? You realize that makes no sense, right? Or are you trying to pull a fast one on us? Did you try something like that with Gore? If so, it might explain why you were denied for lack of GMC....

Besides, just read others' posts and you will see CGNers are getting CCWs approved by Gore post-election.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-18-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0to View Post
Mine showed up Friday. Follow on appt set for next week to pick up the permit.
Congrats!!!

Can you post what your GC was like, but without so much detail that it would ID you?

Do you know Gore, either personally or professionally?

Have you ever donated to a Gore campaign?

Last edited by Paladin; 07-18-2018 at 1:53 PM..
Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Denial came, insufficient good cause. "We encourage you to explore other means of protection."
Well, that sucks. But no body ever said Gore was accepting SD = GC.

Can you post what your GC was like, but without so much detail that it would ID you?
Old 07-18-2018, 1:34 PM

I had my final issuance appointment this morning. I am now a card carrying member of the hidden pistol club.

The card they gave me is a ****ty, laminated 3" x 4" piece of paper. It fits in bi-fold wallet, but to my dismay, will not fit in a money clip/card holder/etc.

The gentlemen who handled my issuance appointment was very friendly and forthcoming with all of the questions that I asked.

I asked him if he has seen people get rejected recently, and he said yes, which is contrary to what San Diego Gun Owners claims. We discussed people getting rejection letters for having drug/DUI/violent crime convictions (seriously...), and a few for lack of good cause. Some people used "I like to go on hikes in the woods" as their good cause, and that doesn't fly with the CCW panel folks. He confirmed that the vast majority of applicants are getting approval letters.

We also discussed the renewal process. He said that its as simple as a single appointment, two years from now. The good cause is determined by the clerk at the appointment, and as long as nothing major has changed from the last issuance, they go ahead and extend your permit that day (as long as you have had the 4 hour training).

Edit: One more thing, the guy had 14 files sitting on his desk for people who would be getting their CCW's today. All of the other clerks had the same work load, so A LOT of people are getting permits right now.

Last edited by Kraken; 07-18-2018 at 1:36 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 07-18-2018, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I had my final issuance appointment this morning. I am now a card carrying member of the hidden pistol club.

The card they gave me is a ****ty, laminated 3" x 4" piece of paper. It fits in bi-fold wallet, but to my dismay, will not fit in a money clip/card holder/etc.

The gentlemen who handled my issuance appointment was very friendly and forthcoming with all of the questions that I asked.

I asked him if he has seen people get rejected recently, and he said yes, which is contrary to what San Diego Gun Owners claims. We discussed people getting rejection letters for having drug/DUI/violent crime convictions (seriously...), and a few for lack of good cause. Some people used "I like to go on hikes in the woods" as their good cause, and that doesn't fly with the CCW panel folks. He confirmed that the vast majority of applicants are getting approval letters.

We also discussed the renewal process. He said that its as simple as a single appointment, two years from now. The good cause is determined by the clerk at the appointment, and as long as nothing major has changed from the last issuance, they go ahead and extend your permit that day (as long as you have had the 4 hour training).

Edit: One more thing, the guy had 14 files sitting on his desk for people who would be getting their CCW's today. All of the other clerks had the same work load, so A LOT of people are getting permits right now.
Thanks for the report. Hopefully they are working at speeding things up.
Renewal process sounds very good. Hope I get the chance to have that concern. Still waiting the long wait now.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 07-18-2018, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I would talk to SDCGO for advice on appealing.
Can't hurt to explore any possible path forward.

Old 07-18-2018, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh by the way, the permit is laminated already then, is it thin enough one can at least fold it?

Old 07-18-2018, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Quote:
I asked him if he has seen people get rejected recently, and he said yes, which is contrary to what San Diego Gun Owners claims.
AFAIK, as of about a month or so ago, SDCGO has said there were none given final denials (i.e., after appealing). There were, IIRC, at that time 2 or 3 being appealed. That may have changed since then.

Quote:
We discussed people getting rejection letters for having drug/DUI/violent crime convictions (seriously...), and a few for lack of good cause. Some people used "I like to go on hikes in the woods" as their good cause, and that doesn't fly with the CCW panel folks. He confirmed that the vast majority of applicants are getting approval letters.
And that's what enables evildoers to succeed, like the Zodiac Killer did at Lake Berryessa in rural Napa Co.... IMO, the Napa Co sheriff who disarmed this couple was as culpable for their murders as was the Zodiac who tied their wrists together.

The current Napa Co sheriff, John R. Robertson, still does not issue CCWs for SD = GC. He's an "enabler" for murderers, just like every other anti CCW sheriff and chief in CA.

Napa County Sheriff John R. Robertson

But at least Gore is issuing a LOT more CCWs. If history is a guide, San Diego County will not go back to restrictive issuance and will slowly increase their rates of issuance, as will whoever comes after Gore.

Quote:

Yep, this is 90+ days after SDCGO started having their CCW application classes.

If you happen to communicate with him again, can you ask if/when they will be switching to an online application process?

Last edited by Paladin; 07-20-2018 at 8:39 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
It said "1492" as of yesterday! A 5% increase -- 70 CCWs -- in 1 month!
https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

If this keeps up (70 every 4 weeks at the low end, 5% increase every 4 weeks at the high end), that means we'll be at 1,562 to 1,567 ~June 25th. SDSO should break 2,000 by the end of the year.

To put all this in context, OC, which is has almost the same population size and very similar demographics, expects to break 20,000 CCWers in 2019. But Hutchens has been readily issuing CCWs for several years. Hopefully, SDSO will switch to online applications, esp for renewals which can be handled all online, to increase the rate of processing initial apps.

IMO, just as important is we haven't heard of more people being discouraged from applying/continuing their application, or being denied because of insufficient GC.

Well then - it looks like they need to update the counter. Almost two months later and it still sits at 1492.

Congrats to those here who have been successful.

Good luck to those in process or in appeal.
Old 07-20-2018, 6:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
Well then - it looks like they need to update the counter. Almost two months later and it still sits at 1492.
Yeah, I've noticed that. I try to check it at least once per week. Hopefully, it's just because they're too busy approving apps.

My GUESS is SDSO will be ~2,000 CCWers by the end of this year and ~3,000 (50% increase) by the end of 2019. After that it will depend upon when they'll switch to online application process and scale up the CCW unit (i.e., larger office space, more staff, etc).

While those numbers are small compared to the county population, remember when Hutchens started liberalizing OC issuance again, they were down to around only 300 or 400 CCWers. As I posted above, they expect to break 20,000 in 2019.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-21-2018 at 6:32 AM..
Old 07-23-2018, 9:53 PM

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it too late to apply??
Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider858 View Post
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it too late to apply??

No such thing as too late.
But work on your good cause first.......

https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Old 07-24-2018, 7:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Also upcoming seminar on the whole process....

https://rangegenius.com/businesses/p...aining/seminar

Old 07-24-2018, 3:08 PM

Default Permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Oh by the way, the permit is laminated already then, is it thin enough one can at least fold it?
Just picked up my permit today.

In my case, the permit is printed by the clerk, you signed it and right thumb printed.
The clerk then took it to the back, folded in half then laminated.

Mine is still small enough for my bi-fold wallet.
Old 07-24-2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Just picked up my permit today.

In my case, the permit is printed by the clerk, you signed it and right thumb printed.
The clerk then took it to the back, folded in half then laminated.

Mine is still small enough for my bi-fold wallet.
Congrats!! Who do ya have in mind for the course?

Interesting how they do it differently with the laminating/folding. I think it was Veronica who laminated the big ol' thing without folding. Was kinda hoping to keep mine in slim front pocket wallet.
Old 07-24-2018, 4:11 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG19 View Post
Congrats!! Who do ya have in mind for the course?

Interesting how they do it differently with the laminating/folding. I think it was Veronica who laminated the big ol' thing without folding. Was kinda hoping to keep mine in slim front pocket wallet.

Thank you. Are you asking about the 8hrs training course? If so, I went with Bill Desy since my available timing kind of sucks.
I enjoyed the qualification, Bill had different scenarios for the 3 guns I qualified for the permit.

My clerk was Cynthia, she did a great job on laminating/folding the permit.

Last edited by LoadedM333; 07-24-2018 at 4:13 PM..
Old 07-27-2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Thank you. Are you asking about the 8hrs training course? If so, I went with Bill Desy since my available timing kind of sucks.
I enjoyed the qualification, Bill had different scenarios for the 3 guns I qualified for the permit.

My clerk was Cynthia, she did a great job on laminating/folding the permit.

I used Bill Desy with ccwusa(.com) as well, and had a good time. I would recommend him for anybody looking to get the training.
Old 07-30-2018, 9:48 AM

Default My San Diego CCW Experience

I have lurked hear forever. Figured I would save my first post for something good.

The TLDR version is this - I got my CCW in San Diego in about 5 months start to finish. No major issues, although dealing with any municipal type body is always a bit painful.

Like all of us, my application process started with an initial consult. Like a few recent posters, I also worked with Cynthia. I have never applied before but felt like the clerk had a good sense within a few moments as to if cause was justified. After a conversation, some initial document review and some assigned homework, I was out the door with feedback that sounded something like - 'If this all is supported, and your background check is clear, you should have a good shot.'

My cause is very specific, and from the initial meeting onward I made sure to produce way too much documentation, my version of killing em with kindness. Even in that first meeting, I must have showed up with a typed 2 page cause statement and 100 pages of supporting documentation...not kidding.

As an aside, while she was absolutely wonderful to work with, she did get married mid process. This caused her email to change (due to her name change). No notice was given to me, so I shouted into the dark for a while before simply making an appointment to discuss status through the main office phone number.

My second interview was only a few weeks later. In this interview I presented my case in detail, provided the needed proofs of employment and residency and started the background check.

From there, I waited. And waited. And bought holsters online that I probably could never use.

About 3 months later, I missed 3 phone calls while at lunch. They were from a SO official doing a home visit. This was not scheduled in advance and I do not work from home, but fearing this was my only chance, I cleared the day and raced home. He was kind enough to wait, although I can only imagine how many guys miss these appointments if they are just showing up whenever they want.

Home visit went like this:

SOO: Do you live here?
Me: Yea, car opens the garage and front gate.
SOO: Nice place.
Me: Thanks. So whats the process to verify?
SOO: You are verified. Have a nice day.

At day 90 I emailed my POC asking for a status update. Another clerk who I had not heard from before let me know that there were some missing documents specific to updated business licenses and residency proof that were required. While this process was underway, I moved houses which caused some confusion but ultimately just meant I had to re-proof my residency at day 92. Additionally I had to clarify some licensing requirements through work which were easy enough.

With new docs submitted the new clerk said my application had not yet gone to the panel yet, but that it should 'in a coupled of weeks' So, I put it out of mind again, only to get an approval letter in the mail 5 business days later.

Key take aways and FAQ's:

- I had three possible justifications. They told me to pick the strongest one to keep things simple.
- Yes I did donate to the re-election...max personal donation, and that was for unrelated reasons.
- The process needed to be actively managed by me. Be prepared to follow up. Find more paperwork than you think is needed.
- I did not avoid buying guns during this time, having bought 2 new AR's.

Feel free to ask me anything about the process - happy to help.

Last edited by GG vez; 07-30-2018 at 9:50 AM..
Old 07-31-2018, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Congrats on the successful outcome. It's a strung out ordeal.
Do you know exactly what prompted the home visit? Was it because of the moving plans? I've not heard of home visits before. Just the usual present recent bills.

Old 07-31-2018, 1:06 PM

I too had not heard of a home visit in SD county, while I believe it is still standard in OC and surrounding areas. I was not told of this ahead of time, and they really did a good job surprising me with it. However, the level of depth beyond me showing I had keys to the gate was non existent.

Although I can't confirm, I would imagine this had to have had something to do with moving mid process. There is that weird 30 days where all you have to show are bank papers and screen shots, prior to SDGE or the city cycling a power or water bill. While they did not ask for these secondary proofs at my new place of residence until 1 day before the app when to the panel it seems to me this may have just been a work around due to my move.

If anyone else gets a home visit please let us all know. I would be interested to see how the process is changing given the new volume of approvals etc.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 AM

I had a home visit earlier in the year. The investigator stopped by when I was out of town. I returned to find his business card stuck in my door with a note to call him. I did and that was all it took. The fact that I found the card at the address I gave was enough for me to be verified and there was no further visit.

Old 08-01-2018, 1:52 PM

That is classic!

I have heard stories in other counties about not only needing to be at your residence but also having to anecdotally prove you live there (pictures of you and your wife?? Neighbors waving?). I guess we actually have it easier than some
Old 08-08-2018, 8:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

Looks like the good folk at San Diego Co Gun Owners are holding more CCW application seminars on Aug 9th, 23rd and Sept 6th.

You snooze, you lose!

Details at and tickets through: https://www.facebook.com/events/209828179683986/

Quote:
San Diego County is issuing CCW permits. We want to help you get approved.

1. Recognize the new guidelines used by the SD County Sheriff's office that pertain to obtaining a CCW permit.

2. Follow the application process and the different steps to obtaining a permit.

3. Review the "Good Cause Statement" for greatest chance of being approved for CCW permit.

4. Understand the official training and qualification required to obtain permit.

5. Learn about the San Diego County Gun Owner's and their role in influencing the Sheriff to change his policy.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-08-2018 at 8:38 AM..
Old 08-08-2018, 7:44 PM

Sidewinder,

Can you update us on what has happened since your GMC denial as far as appeals, further information, etc?

Old 08-11-2018, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Another home visit report from a friend of a friend this time.
It was unexpected, he happened to be home, he did get the green light later.
The closer you get to ninety days from livescan might
start to expect it.

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 08-11-2018 at 7:36 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Default First Interview Today

First interview with SDCS Licensing today. Veronica was my assigned clerk. Here are my take-aways:
1. She made it clear up front that there was going to be a second appointment, even though I brought all the required documentation with me. She claimed the backlog was "overwhelming" and couldn't take that much time with me today. We scheduled the second interview... for Sep 19. Another month just added to the schedule.
2. I brought 2 alternative good cause statements (security clearance/vulnerability, and amateur astronomy in remote backcountry). She appreciated seeing pictures and inventory/value of my astronomy equipment, and the map I provided of my regular observing sites. She also appreciated that I brought a pay stub from my employer who holds my security clearance. Her off-the-cuff assessment of the likelihood of getting my LTC approved is "50% chance". It looks like I'll need to roll both good cause statements into a single page... I don't know if it will increase my chances.
3. I only listed 2 firearms on the application. When I asked about adding a third, she said that could be done as part of the training after I got the approval letter. The firearms listed on proficiency certificate from mandatory training is what will be put on the LTC. For me that's good news.