Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-18-2019, 6:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Nazi badges

I'm visiting Montenegro and at a semi-rural wide spot on the road an old granny had a table set up selling old stuff. Mixed in with some Yugo and Sovietski military medals was some Nazi stuff. An iron cross, a couple of German medals and some other German looking badges. I was surprised to see it for sale as there is no love for the Germans here except their money. I don't know how to tell fakes and I still have some more countries to pass through so I left everything untouched. Interesting to see the impact of the war 70 years after. There is a lot of nostalgia for Tito and genuine pride in the partizans.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 10-18-2019, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Right, wrong, good or bad...its still history. I would have considered it (for the right price)
Old 10-18-2019, 8:51 AM

At a gun show, 10-12 years ago, I saw a identical Nazi medal with ribbon that my dad had brought home. I asked what it was--looked like a iron cross veriation, but was actually some kind of mother's support for the reich badge--and asked what it was worth if I wanted to sell it. He wouldn't buy it because the new fakes were undistinguished from the real ones. So, how do I know your's is a real one??
Got the stink eye and left.
Old 10-18-2019, 8:52 AM

Hard to tell if authentic there. Could have been. Years ago I picked up some German WW I medals at a hole in the wall antique store in a small rural city really cheap. Definitely authentic.

I was in Bosnia this summer and thought I’d find some Balkin war stuff. There was very little of it and what was there was very overpriced. Did pick up a Serbian Officer’s Beret with unit crest. Only bayonets I could find were rusty and double the price you can get them here for.
Old 10-18-2019, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

There was a huge collectors market, however as always it was flooded with fakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 10-18-2019, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I did get to see some abandoned military tunnels and observation towers and a rusty naval vessel looking lost and abandoned along the channel to Kotor
Old 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Lots of fake TR stuff made in that part of the world. The end sellers often have no idea.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Jealous - It is a beautiful country isn't it.

I was in Zagred just prior to the war - I guess 1988 or so.

It was full of WW2 German fakery, and Soviet Blue Spetsnaz berets, cans of Caviar available from street traders by the road and at the markets then, they will be nicely aged and with a good patina by now, lol.

I did buy a trunk load of Police uniforms, leather cop jackets and holsters, fur hats from one of the police assigned to the movie I was on.

Incredible country with a vivid history.

*Edit: Big thing they did there and Czech Republic is cheap old fob-watches engraved with German inscriptions, SS mottos' etc., clearly recently engraved with modern fonts and clean grooves, etc.,

Last edited by pitfighter; 10-18-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Nazi issued Leica cameras are very collectable. The Russians who copied the old style Leicas have recreated the Nazi ones too they are pretty good fakes until you get to the fine details.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Little old lady by the side of the road... End of the day she goes home, gets on the internet and orders more fake badges from China on Alibaba site.

In this life you either push or get shoved.

Better to die on your feet then live on your knees.

For evil to succeed, all it takes is for good men to do nothing.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:06 AM

I was in Greece in the late seventies and there was all kinds of Nazi stuff, but in those days it was real cheap. Many helmets, but none seemed to have liners. They much of gotten them from a field. They were dirt cheap, maybe ten dollars, but just sat there.
Old 10-19-2019, 8:35 PM

I used to go to the flea markets while I was a young soldier in West Germany 40 years ago. If you looked around you could find that stuff but it wasn't in plain view.

A lot of the Third Reich artifacts that are sold online by Russians are actually dug up by grave robbers.

Last edited by Mojaveman; 10-20-2019 at 6:03 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

The Russians had a thriving business selling German dogtags back to German families until the Russian goverment outlawed the practice.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 10-19-2019, 9:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lots of Nazi type stuff for sale in the pawn shops in the upper counties of Northern California

Old 10-19-2019, 10:10 PM

All fake.
While real relics are scattered everywhere in E. Europe and still to be found (German panzers still get pulled from bogs), these get sold to militaria collectors for serious money. They all know what these are worth.
Anything found on roadside tables is for tourists and as real as China rolexes.
Old 10-20-2019, 3:03 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

There are so many issues with collecting any sort of 3R militaria....

First would be the prolific fakery out there. Not reproduction items, labeled as such, but the “made to fool” items. It isn’t a matter of whether or not you will get hosed, but when. Insulating yourself against fraud requires pretty deep research ahead of time: Getting second opinions helps, but only from people who know more than you do.

Some of the boards like WAF are very useful for getting advice before buying. But even experts don’t always agree. When pro collectors spot a fake, they will call it out, but they may not divulge what tips them off. That used to bother me, but it was explained to me that counterfeiters also monitor the boards and may use that intel to make better fakes.

There are a few trustworthy militaria dealers out there, but you will pay a premium for the assurance of a legitimate item that is unquestionably original.
Old 10-20-2019, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Block View Post
Nazi issued Leica cameras are very collectable.
I have an old commercial camera that was probably a 1934 Olympics bring back. The brass plaque on it reads Rabb & Sons on Aldoph Hitlerstrassa.
Old 10-20-2019, 7:23 PM

When I was Stationed in Italy, Every Sunday Market had a table full of old WW2 stuff. I could never tell the difference either. I seen everything from Stahlhelms, Topenkahfs and badges and patches. The prices were always so low there was no way they were real. The funny thing is when i went to some surplus stores in Korea, the same stuff was being sold for 3x the price!
Old 10-21-2019, 8:55 PM

MicroMacroMilitaria has some great videos showing what to look for when dealing with fake militaria. His youtube channel was banned, allegedly by the collector community complaints, but he has a channel on Bit Chute https://www.bit chute.com/channel/mi...cro-militaria/. I find him extremely entertaining to listen to but be warned he does have potty mouth NSFW. As a result of his Youtube ban he lost most of his videos. Jo Rivett has written three books on the subject as well.

Edit: Url is broken. I guess if you connect Bit and Chute it gets censored

Last edited by Munky; 10-21-2019 at 8:59 PM..