Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-18-2019, 6:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I'm 66, have pretty severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, and still enjoy a good session with my 29 8 3/8" barrel, and my Ruger Super Alaskan in .454 Casull.
I'm a little sore next couple days in my wrist, but not all that bad.
I load for them so I back it down a bit.
Big Bores aren't for everybody, when I bought my 29 back in 1977 it came with a 50 round box of ammo with six rounds expended. Wasn't the sellers cup of tea.
Best $430 I ever spent, and it came in the wood presentation box.

Bought this one for $525 from Gun Tests magazine after they finished testing it when they were first produced.
Hey Olshooter..If you like that little Ruger,you might like holding a hand grenade and pulling the pin... but don't throw it... ..seriously,that 29's pretty
Old 10-18-2019, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Diversity! Embrace it or go sit in a corner and be quiet.
Old 10-18-2019, 9:27 AM

I love my Redhawk. Will take her out for a spin this weekend. Thanks for the story OP.
Old 10-18-2019, 9:53 AM

peronally i dont like shooting 44 mag. but i switched from hunting with a 357 mag to a 44 mag over 30 years ago and the only times ive hunted with 357 since was using my little rossi lever gun. i dont shoot 44 mag at paper only flesh and bone as i prefer the damage it does. my huntin gun is an old interarms virginia dragoon and if needed i can also use it as a sledge hammer to drive railroad spikes. this thing is a beast and has never hiccupped. i also have a ruger semi auto 44 carbine and a redhawk but they are just part of the collection. for personal protection and killing paper i prefer 357 mag/38s.
Old 10-18-2019, 9:53 AM

Love my Dan Wesson 744, with the 8” heavy vented barrel attached. The 6” HV barrel works well also, but the 8” can drive tacks.

I’ve also got the 4”, but only use that when I need to carry it all day just in case.

.44 Special is fine for plinking at the range - saves on the costs a little, and you can shoot a couple of boxes or more without giving it a second thought.
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Magnums and super magnums are hunting rounds - in a post above, TrailerparkTrash sums it up nicely. They are also used by guides in Alaska as a backup against large animals.

At the range, they are a fun novelty. Many load them to powder puff levels for longer range sessions, then fire a few full loads. Why full loads? Practice for hunting (for those who do) and practice for not flinching.

Personally, I own four X-frames (two 500s and two 460s) and four .44s (two 629s and two 329s). They are great "from time to time" pieces that get the conversation going at the range and everyone who tries them walks away with a smile on their face. Needless to say, I let people who are interested try them if I think they can handle it.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 AM

The first centerfire I ever shot was a Python at about age 12. The first centerfire I owned was a high school graduation gift - Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag with 4 5/8" barrel. I have a couple .357s, a couple .41s and a couple .44s. I love shooting them all. I also love the .45 Colt loaded stout.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:19 AM

To each his own. It's your decision and I'm fine with that.
I tend to think about it in terms of women ... they all need lov'n.
I like them all, even if it is a few rounds at at time.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Recently shot my friends Model 29 " Dirty Harry" gun. Thought the recoil was less obnoxious than shooting 125s at 1450 fps out of my 6 inch 686.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Did the gun have a grip like this on it? It is an "X"Frame grip and will fit on that gun. the extra padding at the top tames down the hit to the web of your hand alot.

I had Pachmayer Grips on my M29 back in the late 70's. It helped alot but still I could only take 12 rounds for full house loads.

I can shoot my Ruger SBH Bisley all day with them as the grip spreads out the recoil over the heel of your hand for a much larger surface area.

Here's a pic of my 696 .44 spec. with an X frame grip. I can shoot it all day too but it is nothing like a full on magnum.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464213.JPG (68.2 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 100464426.JPG (55.4 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg 100464427.JPG (66.6 KB, 302 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 10-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Hey Olshooter..If you like that little Ruger,you might like holding a hand grenade and pulling the pin... but don't throw it... ..seriously,that 29's pretty
I have to admit that Ruger is one nasty little gal, mainly bought it for the price, but it's a hoot to shoot. We use it as the "dare" gun when my son and I take guests to the range.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default So I guess my question is, what's the point

, he's shooting a 240gr bullet going 1350fps.

I loaded up six, and pulled the trigger, ka-FRIGGIN-boom. I did that twice more, then I was done.

So I guess my question is, what's the point?[/QUOTE]

for paper- it's fun
For Diet Soda cans- it's fun

For pigs- it drops the pig

For snow machining- t stops critters you encounter...

it penetrates steel - so you can do that

454 casul is worse
50 A&E is a bit worse as well

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Did the gun have a grip like this on it? It is an "X"Frame grip and will fit on that gun. the extra padding at the top tames down the hit to the web of your hand alot.

I had Pachmayer Grips on my M29 back in the late 70's. It helped alot but still I could only take 12 rounds for full house loads.

I can shoot my Ruger SBH Bisley all day with them as the grip spreads out the recoil over the heel of your hand for a much larger surface area.

Here's a pic of my 696 .44 spec. with an X frame grip. I can shoot it all day too but it is nothing like a full on magnum.

Randy

Nope. factory wood grips. I think it's more the noise of .357 thats obnoxious. Definitely a loud crack instead of a boom.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Magnums and super magnums are hunting rounds - in a post above, TrailerparkTrash sums it up nicely. They are also used by guides in Alaska as a backup against large animals.

At the range, they are a fun novelty. Many load them to powder puff levels for longer range sessions, then fire a few full loads. Why full loads? Practice for hunting (for those who do) and practice for not flinching.

Personally, I own four X-frames (two 500s and two 460s) and four .44s (two 629s and two 329s). They are great "from time to time" pieces that get the conversation going at the range and everyone who tries them walks away with a smile on their face. Needless to say, I let people who are interested try them if I think they can handle it.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:55 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It all depends on the ballistics of the particular load you’re shooting.

For example, I prefer in my .44 sixguns a 250 grain slug the leaves the muzzle at +/- 1000 fps... pretty much halfway between the typical commercially loaded .44 Special and .44 Magnum.

I leave the heavier Magnum loads for my lever carbines.
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

.1A - 2A = -1A
Old 10-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Since were talking 44 mags thought I'd share mine.. 629 Mana Classic..one of 1200 made (in stainless) 8-3/8". You don't see these that often.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

IMGP0014.jpg

IMGP0016.jpgsorry missed the pics
Old 10-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I love my Ruger Super Blackhawk and have a standing buy order with a guy at work for his 29-2 8 3/8 with super bluing and presentation case. I had a Ruger 44 rifle that looked like a 10-22 and will buy a Henry Big Boy Carbine to replace it. Toughen up and shoot a few hundred rounds of 44 and your accuracy will improve greatly with the minor calibers.
I have a friend with a 500 Smith. Everybody wants to shoot it. He just says buy your own ammo. He hasn't bought any ammo since the first box. People show up with ammo take a couple shots and leave the rest for him.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Unlike you tough guys I don't measure myself against other men by what caliber of gun they shoot, I use a ruler like we did in jr high school
Old 10-18-2019, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As Dirty Harry said "A man's got to know his limitations".

I bought a Super Blackhawk when I turned 21 and it was my go to gun.
Old 10-18-2019, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Nice piece. I hated those grips on my 625 Power Port, changed them out for square butt Hogue's.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 10-18-2019, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Nice piece. I hated those grips on my 625 Power Port, changed them out for square butt Hogue's.
Agreed, my only complaint about this gun...why S&W put those girly grips on this gun I'll never know. Just for dress up I guess. What I do like is that this is one of the few guns they supplied with 7 interchangeable front sight inserts.
Old 10-18-2019, 2:24 PM

Op, don't worry about some of the comments. If you don't like the magnums, no big deal. They do have a purpose whether recreation or hunting. If you want to continue with them you simply need to work your way up with management of the recoil - that's all. This is where handloading really helps.
Old 10-18-2019, 2:32 PM

Default Get back on that horse!

OK OP. What you need to do is get back on that horse! A couple things you can do to ease that recoil is buy some hogue grips and or wear a shooting glove. And as others have said you can shoot 44 special or hand loaded down 44 Mag. I have a Ruger Redhawk for sale right now on the handguns for sale board. I’m a hunter and will put the money into other rifle projects - but I’m not selling it because of recoil. The Redhawk really tames the recoil of a 44. It weights about 5 ounces more than the 629 and has really good shooting geometry and balance. I’ve owned both brands.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...=Ruger+Redhawk

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
It turns out I'm a revo guy, and in the last 10 months I've bought three of them. A 686+ four inch .38, a 627 PC five inch .38, and a 929 six inch 9mm.

I've probably shot seven or eight thousand rounds in that time. In fact I shot in the Arizona State Revolver Championship last month https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1565002

Today at The Firing Line in Huntington Beach my buddy shows up with a 629. My double action triggers are light, but his had to be 12 pounds.

I'm shooting a 158gr bullet going 800fps, he's shooting a 240gr bullet going 1350fps.

I loaded up six, and pulled the trigger, ka-FRIGGIN-boom. I did that twice more, then I was done.

So I guess my question is, what's the point?
Old 10-18-2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGSDAD View Post
Recently shot my friends Model 29 " Dirty Harry" gun. Thought the recoil was less obnoxious than shooting 125s at 1450 fps out of my 6 inch 686.

Those 125s from Remington are pure Evil. One self defense encounter with those (and no hearing protection) and you’re deaf for life. And the flame from the barrel is prodigious
Old 10-18-2019, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
Op, don't worry about some of the comments. If you don't like the magnums, no big deal. They do have a purpose whether recreation or hunting. If you want to continue with them you simply need to work your way up with management of the recoil - that's all. This is where handloading really helps.
A couple of things come to mind...

1. It's not my gun so I'll probably never shoot it again

2. Yeah, what "funkymonkey 167" anonymously says on the interwebs doesn't really keep me up at nights.
Old 10-18-2019, 4:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It turns out I'm a revo guy, and in the last 10 months I've bought three of them. A 686+ four inch .38, a 627 PC five inch .38, and a 929 six inch 9mm.

I've probably shot seven or eight thousand rounds in that time. In fact I shot in the Arizona State Revolver Championship last month https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1565002

Today at The Firing Line in Huntington Beach my buddy shows up with a 629. My double action triggers are light, but his had to be 12 pounds.

I'm shooting a 158gr bullet going 800fps, he's shooting a 240gr bullet going 1350fps.

So, that would be a "no" to shooting my Bond Derringer in 44 mag …..?

I guess people react to recoil differently. I see you have a "sporting clays" tag line. Anything greater than 20 gauge just beats the hell out of me.
Old 10-18-2019, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHNFRANK View Post
A couple things you can do to ease that recoil is buy some hogue grips and or wear a shooting glove.
nswer
Sticky grips aren't the answer. Take a look at a Ruger single action. That grip design will allow the gun to rock in you hand reducing felt recoil. Double action grips generally have a different design that will jam the web of your as it recoils. There soft Hogue grips may be an advantage.
Old 10-18-2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
nswer
Sticky grips aren't the answer. Take a look at a Ruger single action. That grip design will allow the gun to rock in your hand reducing felt recoil.
IMO, you are absolutely correct, sir! I am 67, but back in the day 30 years ago I owned a Ruger SBH 3-screw (4 clicks drawing the hammer back, trigger broke cleanly, almost like glass breaking, much better than the New Model with the transfer bar) and we would shoot at water-filled plastic gallon milk jugs at 100 yards from a sitting position with no rest. It was all about elevation and windage. I handloaded Speer 240 grain jacketed semi-wadcutters over a heavy charge of H-110, which was much cleaner than 2400. The revolver always rocked back in the hand and there was no pain in the recoil. I tried oversized walnut grips and Pachmayr rubber grips, but in the end the factory walnut was the best. A box of 50 rounds was not unpleasant at all to shoot on a day's outing.

The other guys were shooting Redhawks and 29's, but the SBH won out every time, even in other shooter's hands, and it was a better shooter than I was.

Sticky grips are not the answer.

Regards,

Jim
Old 10-18-2019, 5:09 PM

Why use 10 rounds when one will do the job?
Old 10-18-2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006 View Post
Why use 10 rounds when one will do the job?
ka-FRIGGIN-boom

Last edited by mike.h; 10-18-2019 at 5:19 PM..
Old 10-18-2019, 5:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I dunno, I'm thinking that maybe his Man Card should be taken away, most certainly paper punched at least once as a constant reminder of his non-man attitude.
Old 10-18-2019, 7:18 PM

LOL! Over many years I have listened to person after person surmising larger handgun calibers being everything from Manly, to being better for self defense. I even had one young man looking to buy a handgun and after I recommended 9mm his response was, “Nah! 9mm is too small for me! I need at least a 40!” LOL! I simply shook my head with palm resting on my forehead.

Now to the OP’s comment “What’s the point?” LOL! Well, why did you try your friends gun in the first place?? You KNEW it was 44mag! You knew it was going to be powerful! So knowing these things ahead of time, why did you still shoot it? THAT my friend, is the point!

Nothing wrong with wanting to shoot, own or carry larger magnum caliber guns. Nothing whatsoever. And there is nothing at all wrong with never wanting one, never wanting to shoot one or never wanting to shoot one ever again..once and done! But it certainly doesn’t make someone “less of a man”! That’s about the most CORN NUGGET thing I’ve heard in a minute!

I’ve shot about every one of the most powerful handgun calibers. Some of them many, many times in the course of work. And while I have no regrets, I have no looming desire to shoot any again. With that though, I wouldn’t hesitate to if a valid reason arose. I built a 1911 for the exact job of handling 450SMC/45 super. 185gr pills @ 1350fps & 230gr @ close to 1200fps. Fairly stout. And I thoroughly enjoy letting others try it. Puts a smile on everyone’s face so far! And THATS the point!
CalGuns DUMBEST Quote ever: “It's doubtful you've ever actually shot anybody, maybe never even seen anybody shot and don't really know what the hell you're talking about in the first place.” -Member on Calguns. (I think he is “LESS” more than just “FEATURE”!)

Ask me what Christ did for me..., and I will tell you what He will do for you!

Last edited by Dave Hoback; 10-18-2019 at 7:23 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 12:56 AM

I once fired a S&W 340 Airlite in .357 magnum and it was probably the worst recoiling gun I ever fired. I have a .460 Smith and that is pleasant to shoot compared to a 340 Airlite. The 340 felt like someone smacked my palms with a baseball bat.
Old 10-19-2019, 1:24 AM

Go back to that gun shop where the attractive lady works, and tell her you want to buy the smallest revolver they have because you are compensating for something. Of course she might slap you, or hand you a “dirty old man” membership card.
Old 10-19-2019, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd_Ball View Post
I don't know if its just me, but I find the 44 mag easier to shoot than 357 mag. I feel like the 357 is louder as well..
It's both of us. As to the poster above with the 98lb daughter, recoil sensitivity has nothing to do with size of the individual. I've had grown men hand back my 29s/629s after firing only 1 or 2 rounds. I said finish them and they'd just shake their heads no.
Old 10-19-2019, 6:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wussy's should not handle real firearms(LOL) Try 260 grain silhouette bullets at 1500 fps out of a model 29 Maybe you better off with an bb pistol.
Old 10-19-2019, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

I've shot enough .44 mags to appreciate them; they're fun and heavy hitting. But, I agree with Chris[200Apples] on how to work a .44 mag.
Also agree with Richard regarding the .45 Colt. Perfect!
Brad, go shoot whatever you want to shoot, enjoy and learn. Simple as that.

MLC
Old 10-19-2019, 7:49 AM

I'm only good for about three rounds at a time, out of my S&W 329PD Airlite with Garrett's .44 mag, 330 gr. Hammerhead ammo. It's moving at @ 1400 fps. I got it for when I go hiking/camping in brown bear country.

I put some grips on the gun that have a sorbothane section that covers the backstrap. They make it a bit more bearable.

Any more than those three rounds and my arthritis complains and my flinch returns. It takes about 2 weeks of dry firing to get rid of it.

It's a dream with .44 spl rounds though!
Old 10-19-2019, 8:21 AM

Quote:

So your .38 will feel like a powder puff....

And some of us actually use these weapons for self defense in the woods.
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson