Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 AM

Default Sig Romeo 5 Vs Vortex Spark AR Red dot

Cant decide which optic to buy for my ar build. What are your thoughts and opinions? Anybody have any experience with either of these?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I have plenty of experience with Vortex scopes, but never owned any of their red dots... never seen or used the Sig optic before either.

I would venture to guess the overall build quality and performance is pretty similar... both are entry level RDS optics.

I dont know if Sig makes their own optics... if anything it looks like a Holosun re-brand based on looks, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

I would look at the warranty, price, features, and included accessories and make a decision based on that.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I have plenty of experience with Vortex scopes, but never owned any of their red dots... never seen or used the Sig optic before either.

I would venture to guess the overall build quality and performance is pretty similar... both are entry level RDS optics.

I dont know if Sig makes their own optics... if anything it looks like a Holosun re-brand based on looks, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

I would look at the warranty, price, features, and included accessories and make a decision based on that.
Thank you sir much appreciated. From my research vortex has a top notch warranty, but sig has a top of the line battery life and turns on just from picking it up which is pretty cool.
Old 10-10-2016, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

An advantage of the Sparc AR is that it uses a AAA rather than a 2032

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-10-2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
An advantage of the Sparc AR is that it uses a AAA rather than a 2032
Thank you. I agree its pretty cool. But i feel the downside is it lasts 300 hours compared to the sigs 40,000 hour battery.
Old 10-10-2016, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

I'd rather have a company that puts out good **** than a company that has life time warranty.

Quote:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- Dianne Feinstein
Old 10-10-2016, 6:06 PM

My friend is a Sgt and SWAT commander with the local pd, they just ordered all brand new DD rifles and went with the Sig Romeo line for optics for patrol units. They went with them due to motion activation, auto off, long battery life and budget. He thought they were good. Time will tell. He's just happy to finally get rid of the old beat up Bushmasters with iron sights they had before.
Old 10-10-2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
My friend is a Sgt and SWAT commander with the local pd, they just ordered all brand new DD rifles and went with the Sig Romeo line for optics for patrol units. They went with them due to motion activation, auto off, long battery life and budget. He thought they were good. Time will tell. He's just happy to finally get rid of the old beat up Bushmasters with iron sights they had before.
Thats really good information thank you. Good to hear of a PD running some good rifles. They deserve it.
Old 10-17-2016, 4:43 PM

I just acquired a Sig Romeo5 and so far, it's proving to be quite a bang-for-the-buck ─ for $150, its packaging comes as a much welcomed surprise because it is so unexpectedly extravagant. The inclusion of 2 mounts is also a very nice touch. What's more, the overall quality of the R5 is remarkable with its near impeccable fit and finish; the robustness is simply outstanding. Lens clarity is fine and the crispness/shape of the dot is adequate enough. Hope to do a video review soon after I get in some more range time,
Old 10-20-2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I just acquired a Sig Romeo5 and so far, it's proving to be quite a bang-for-the-buck ─ for $150, its packaging comes as a much welcomed surprise because it is so unexpectedly extravagant. The inclusion of 2 mounts is also a very nice touch. What's more, the overall quality of the R5 is remarkable with its near impeccable fit and finish; the robustness is simply outstanding. Lens clarity is fine and the crispness/shape of the dot is adequate enough. Hope to do a video review soon after I get in some more range time,

I just got mine in the mail yesterday and agree with everything you have stated. I also plan on doing a review at 500 rounds.
Old 10-20-2016, 5:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
I'd rather have a company that puts out good **** than a company that has life time warranty.
With Vortex you have both.
Old 10-25-2016, 9:37 PM

I picked up a Vortex Sparc AR from Amazon. I've been pretty happy with it so far. Zero'ed pretty quickly and the glass is clear. Lifetime warranty is a bonus.
Old 11-16-2016, 9:13 AM

I have a Romeo4, its a great optic, side by side with an aimpoint and eotech, I choose the Romeo, even though I was ready to buy the eotech. The Romeo had a sharper and clearer reticle.
Old 11-17-2016, 7:52 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I have used both optics.

While I have no real complaints about the SPARC AR, I really like the standard SPARC better and would even recommend the 1x Spitfire if you don't plan to use a magnifier.

Sig Red Dots are made by Holosun...they are nice and so far I have heard minimal complaints

Both are good optics so you can't really make a wrong choice.

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 11-17-2016, 8:45 AM

My Sparc AR gets delivered today, IMHO it should be a great red dot and if the battery life didn't suck it would probably be one of the best. My rifles are not for work, so battery life isn't as critical.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Sig Romeo 5

I'm a big fan of the Romeo 5. I've had mine for about a year now, and I've just been really impressed with the quality levels. Love the auto on/ auto off features too.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Default Have both

Both are good red dots , decent quality nice enough glass for price point. I prefer the Sig currently simply for the motion sensing on function. Neither will disappoint
Old 10-17-2019, 5:51 AM

Thanks for all the posts. I came to this forum to research the Vortex Sparc. I had the same questions about it. Iím very interested in this optic but I donít know anyone who runs it. Iíll have to look at the Romeo now. Thanks
Old 10-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bldrinker View Post
My Sparc AR gets delivered today, IMHO it should be a great red dot and if the battery life didn't suck it would probably be one of the best. My rifles are not for work, so battery life isn't as critical.
I mean 300-5,000 hours on a common AAA is pretty good IMHO. I'd run Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and keep spares handy just like for other RDS. Yeah you might actually get to use one of those spares, but it is such a common one. You can get your dead SPARC AR running with a TV remote or a dozen other things around the house. Not that CR2032's are that hard to come by (gank one from a PC mobo), but the only thing that uses CR1632 is Burris FF3 or Nikon SPUR.
Old 10-17-2019, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Last Christmas I went with the SPARC AR for my budget build, I was initially concerned with the battery life, but PSA was running a smoking holiday coupon.

Ultimately the battery life wasn't an issue at all and I'm very satisfied with the SPARC AR. The glass and dot is also so much better than the blue tinted flarry 1st gen SPARC that I also own.

I also use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and I haven't yet had to change the battery (I turn on the SPARC at least twice a month and leave it on until it turns off.) And as crufflers stated the AAA battery is so common that I don't feel worried about not having access to a backup.

The VIP warranty is also very reassuring, yeah our inner mall ninjas tell us that we need a military grade Aimpoint Micro, but in the end we're consumers and it's nice to know that when the SPARC breaks Vortex will replace it with an equal or current RDS. There's plenty of videos and forum posts that prove that Vortex honors their VIP warranty.

I have two pre '10 Eotechs and an Aimpoint, I paid around $400 or more on each, I'm totally boned if/when they go tits up. The SPARC AR was under $130 and has a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by Mr. Meeseeks; 10-18-2019 at 4:01 PM..
Old 10-18-2019, 6:40 PM

You may want to check out the Vortex crossfire red dot as well. The gen 2 gets battery life up to 50k hours now as well.