Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-10-2013, 2:08 PM

Default Can't find answers.... laser on ccw

Hey all, I am considering buying a small gun for my LTC (hopefully can get the LTC). I found a gun that I really like, but it has the crimson trace laser guard on it.... I don't think that it came that way from the factory (the gun is on consignment), so I don't know if it's an acceptable choice for the purpose. I don't want to buy it and not be able to keep the laser on it - waste of money.

So, since I can't find my answer anywhere (I have been searching)... Can you give me some insight on the laser thing on ccw's? Placer County by the way.

Thanks!!
Old 03-10-2013, 2:20 PM

A quick search brought me to this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=321178

It doesn't look good for Placer County but that thread is a couple years old and the links don't work anymore, maybe their policy changed. I would contact them and ask.
Old 03-10-2013, 2:22 PM

Thanks, I guess I should have said that I couldn't find anything recent and not that I couldn't find anything... I appreciate your help!
Old 03-10-2013, 2:26 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

As I recall, placer county does not allow any modifications, including lights and lasers, on any carry guns on your permit.

Edit - looks like they are reviewing their policy.

Quote:
Q: Can I modify my weapon listed on my permit?

A. Our agency understands that some alterations made to a weapon are done for safety and usage purposes, rather than recreational reasons. Due to this, our agency is currently reviewing our past declaration of prohibition for any alterations of a weapon. At such time that we are able to post what alterations are accepted, please forward any questions to our CCW Coordinator. Any questions will be discussed with our Range Master to determine validity and legality of alterations. Any alterations made on a weapon without the express approval from our agency will immediately result in the suspension of the existing CCW permit and possible permanent revocation on the permit.
http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments....aspx#approved
Old 03-10-2013, 6:04 PM

If it comes with the laser factory installed, it is probably good to go. Usually the it is just not allowed to be used to qualify.

I would call the officer in charge and get it from the Horses mouth though. So many thing change in half a millisecond in the world of firearms.
Old 03-10-2013, 6:41 PM

Thanks guys, I have an email in to the coordinator and will hopefully hear back quickly...

I don't know if the laser was factory installed or a dealer add... It's the Beretta Nano with Crimson Trace Laser Guard on it. I know you can get the Nano and laser from Beretta, but I don't know if you can get a Nano with laser installed from Beretta.
Old 03-10-2013, 7:20 PM
Banned

It all depends on if the issuing agency approves the weapon. You can't see a laser in daylight anyway, and it is no substitute for the fundamentals of shooting, stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. You will be better off to spend your money on good training.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
It all depends on if the issuing agency approves the weapon. You can't see a laser in daylight anyway, and it is no substitute for the fundamentals of shooting, stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. You will be better off to spend your money on good training.
A BIG +1 to that. Obviously if money is tight, food and family comes first, but I see so many people with tons of guns (which is great), but they never spend a dime on good quality training.

Hopefully you IA doesn't have a policy against lasers/lights. Sac County is pretty cool about that stuff as they really don't care if you have them.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Seriously? The laser doesn't affect anything why would it be an issue?
Old 03-11-2013, 6:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxsweep View Post
Seriously? The laser doesn't affect anything why would it be an issue?
You could argue that an aftermarket barrel of the same caliber doesn't change anything either, in fact accuracy generally improves, but San Bernardino won't approve it. It's not up to you, it's up to the issuing agency. In case you don't have your permit, you will find out.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM

OK, just got word back from the county ccw coordinator... they are much quicker than I was expecting.

Official Quote:
Quote:
As long as the gun came from the manufacture with the laser it is fine. We do not allow modifications to the weapons.

So there you have it.... moving on now