Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Default Recommend a So Cal Basic Shotgun Training Courses

Looking to get some formal training and instruction for operating my shotgun in the So Cal area during summer.

Any suggestions for a Basic/Intro course?

I looked at the ITTS Basic Shotgun 1 and sent in an inquiry but no reply yet. Prerequisite handgun course stated but I do not own a handgun nor have any interest in owning or training with one. I just want to learn how to operate my shotgun.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Try Greg Block

http://www.firearmstraining.com/
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks! That looks good too.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Np, be prepared for a sore shoulder.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Thanks! Will remember that, though I am use to shooting 150-200 rounds of birdshot at any one range trip for clays haha.
Old 04-22-2013, 2:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Go to the top of this forum section and see Socal Clinic!
Old 04-22-2013, 2:50 PM

What type of training are you looking for? Skeet, sporting clays, Tatical/HD, 3Gun, etc.?
Old 04-22-2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldduster View Post
Go to the top of this forum section and see Socal Clinic!
+1000

The SoCal Skeet Clinic will teach you ever thing you need to know about a shotgun. I didn't even know how to properly mount a shotgun when I went there. Now I'm shooting skeet tounaments.

Coach Don Ziegler and his sidekick (boy I'm going to hear about this one) Richard will really get you knowing how to properly mount and fire a shotgun.

There aren't any dates posted for these but I have been told there will be some soon.

The best part is you are only paying $20 for the best damn shotgun instruction on the planet.

Old 04-22-2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Scott Reitz at ITTS is supposed to be one of the top 3 combat shotgun instructors around (Louis Awerbuck and Rob Haught being the other 2). He's an instructor for LAPD Metro and has been with them for 30 years.

I'll assume they want you to take Handgun I first because it covers a lot of range safety, the 4 safety rules, etc. From the equipment list it doesn't look like you'll be transitioning to handgun.
Looking for shotgun class with emphasis on defensive use. I'm not into the whole dramatic tactical stuff actually, to be clear. If you have read my other posts before you know I frown at my friends who tell me to get a pistol so I can either fight to my primary or transition to a secondary. Too dramatic for me. I just want to be proficient with my Benelli M4.

Yes, for some reason I want to take ITTS but they still have not yet replied to my inquiry.

I do not want to take Handgun I if I can get away with it. Not to sound full of myself but I am not a complete beginner with firearms, I always treat the gun as loaded, muzzle awareness, range safety and also I have absolutely no interest in handguns or owning one so taking that class will not have any long lasting benefits at a greater expense.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Take a look at FTA, if you just want to get your toes wet, try this:
http://ftatv.com/shotgun-home-defense
If you are looking to jump all the way into the pool, check this one out:
http://ftatv.com/general-shotgun

I have not taken either of these courses yet, but I have done handgun classes and thought they did a good job.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Default ><

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=329160
Old 04-23-2013, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
Are they going to let me use my M4? The point of going to training is to get better with what I have.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_kart View Post

I have not taken either of these courses yet, but I have done handgun classes and thought they did a good job.
These look good, too, plus closer to where I am at. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2013, 4:42 PM
Banned

Take the skeet class at TBC.

Hell, if you can hit a four inch target flying thru the air, shooting some a-hole in your bedroom shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Take a look at Civilian Arms Training, www.civilianarmstraining.com.

A direct link to their defensive shotgun class. http://civilianarmstraining.com/inde...101&Itemid=178

I've taken their shotgun course twice and loved it. Your Benelli M4 will be fine for the class, although you will see quite a few Remington 870's and Mossberg 500/590's as what most students bring.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 04-23-2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
Take a look at Civilian Arms Training, www.civilianarmstraining.com.

A direct link to their defensive shotgun class. http://civilianarmstraining.com/inde...101&Itemid=178

I've taken their shotgun course twice and loved it. Your Benelli M4 will be fine for the class, although you will see quite a few Remington 870's and Mossberg 500/590's as what most students bring.
This looks good, too, thanks! Where are they located/hold training? Having trouble finding on their site
Old 04-23-2013, 8:20 PM

Covered6 has a shotgun class next week. Details here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_11/23...ngeles_CA.html

Boyan the instructor is a great teacher and has a lot of familiarity with the Benelli M4. In fact, last shotgun class they did which I took was specific to the M4. I think they're broadened the class to appeal to more people this time around.
Old 04-23-2013, 8:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ITTS is great but advanced training.

You might take a look at http://www.shooters-edge.com/ for the classes they offer.

If you like it, then you might take a look at Front Sight as you can find certificates for your first course with them for about $100 for the 4 day shotgun class.
The cost is more as you get to drive to Pahrump (west of vegas by 1hour) and pay for a hotel room.

I think they also have 2 day classes that do not include the shoot houses and the night shoot.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM

I'll assume they want you to take Handgun I first because it covers a lot of range safety, the 4 safety rules, etc. From the equipment list it doesn't look like you'll be transitioning to handgun.

Regards,
ICMPacknMove,
packers and movers in delhi
Old 04-24-2013, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKJay View Post
Covered6 has a shotgun class next week. Details here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_11/23...ngeles_CA.html

Boyan the instructor is a great teacher and has a lot of familiarity with the Benelli M4. In fact, last shotgun class they did which I took was specific to the M4. I think they're broadened the class to appeal to more people this time around.
Thanks, that looks good too but unfortunately won't fit my schedule, but I will look them up again from time to time.

Perhaps I can give it a go at ITTS once I've run a few other basic shotgun courses.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:52 AM

See if Loui Awerbuck is in the area and take his class. Loui runs a traveling firearms instruction business. Loui is also worth a drive to the Bay Area where he teaches quite a lot a Reeds Indoor range (like 15+ weekends a year). Also, he is 64 or 65. I don't know how many years he will continue to do this and it would be a shame to not take a class from him. Same general thoughts about Clint Smith who must be of a similar age.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 04-24-2013, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
See if Loui Awerbuck is in the area and take his class. Loui runs a traveling firearms instruction business. Loui is also worth a drive to the Bay Area where he teaches quite a lot a Reeds Indoor range (like 15+ weekends a year). Also, he is 64 or 65. I don't know how many years he will continue to do this and it would be a shame to not take a class from him. Same general thoughts about Clint Smith who must be of a similar age.
Im actually planning a Bay Area roadtrip this summer. Ill look him up. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM

$500 well spent in tuition/good instruction is worth more than the same amount of money dumped into ammo for mindless plinking, thats for sure. Why do you presume to think I would not spend good money for good instruction? I paid 1.5K for the best shotgun, pay good money for private one-on-one horsemanship lessons, have paid good money for prior martial arts instruction. I know full well the value of instruction otherwise I would not be posting here.

Last edited by JDPhx501; 04-24-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM

JD, you cannot go wrong with the General Shotgun class offered by Firearms Training Associates. It is a one day class, very close to you, great facility, tons of great information and most of all, the instructors are top notch - no attitude, very friendly, SAFE and knowledgeable. Their next class is July 27.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPI View Post
JD, you cannot go wrong with the General Shotgun class offered by Firearms Training Associates. It is a one day class, very close to you, great facility, tons of great information and most of all, the instructors are top notch - no attitude, very friendly, SAFE and knowledgeable. Their next class is July 27.
FTA is actually on top of my list right now. I like how it is close to me, syllabus looks good, hi round count, and 5 hrs instead of 8 hrs. Trying to convince a couple of other friends to come along as well, spend their ammo on training rather than more unguided plinking.
Old 04-24-2013, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPhx501 View Post
This looks good, too, thanks! Where are they located/hold training? Having trouble finding on their site
Civilian Arms Training holds their classes at several ranges. Burro Canyon in Azusa, Angeles in Lake View Terrace, A Place to Shoot in Santa Clarita and North County Shootist in Pala.

Burro is their primary home as most of their classes are held there. If you click on the schedule you'll see a google calendar of when their classes and and if you click on it it will tell you the location of the class. Their next shotgun class will be at Burro on Sunday May 26.

If you buy their training voucher it will literally cut the cost of your class to almost half.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 04-24-2013, 5:19 PM

Looks like top class choice I have narrowed down at the moment are:

Academy of St. Crispian
Firearm training Associates
Civilian Arms Training
I may eventually try all 3.
Old 04-24-2013, 5:45 PM
Banned

Eventually ?

Hell, want me to pull the trigger for you too?
Old 04-25-2013, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I can give it a go at ITTS once I've run a few other basic shotgun courses.
The ITTS Shotgun I course is an intro class that assumes students have no familiarity with the shotgun. If you take someone else's basic course, ITTS may or may not recognize it as equivalent to their own, which might mean that you'd start from the ground up in their system.

If you have trouble getting through to ITTS via email, give them a call. They are great about responding to phone calls but emails sometimes slip through the cracks.

They treat Handgun I as a prerequisite to their other courses because it has a heavy emphasis on safety and their methods of running a range. If you have prior formal training they might waive the prerequisite.
Old 04-25-2013, 3:35 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Academy of St. Crispian
Civilian Arms Training
I highly recommend FTA.

Go for the General Shotgun on Saturday and then Advanced Shotgun on Sunday. You will get a ton of good training in one weekend.

Then save your shoulder for Shotgun Night Ops!

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 04-25-2013, 5:11 PM

I just wrapped up a 4 day shotgun class at Front Sight. Shot over 500 rounds, learned how to take a room and had a great time. PM me if you're interested in a membership.
Old 04-27-2013, 7:51 AM

Quote:

Academy of St. Crispian
Civilian Arms Training
I took a shotgun class with Stan at The Academy of St Crispian. Great experience and I highly recommend it.
Old 04-29-2013, 6:43 PM

Last edited by b_k; 02-05-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_kart View Post

Not sure if the OP found a place yet. However I would not recommend the first link for FTA Home-Defense class.

Now before anyone jumps on me for saying that I will start by saying the folks at FTA are awesome. My wife and I have taken the full day Recreational Handgun class and loved it.

My understanding on this class is it was something Turners asked FTA to do because they were selling a lot of shotguns to first time gun owners who said they were buying it for home defense.

It's half day class. At least when the wife and I took it there were way too many people in the class. Again the majority of the class was filled with too many people that just got their shotgun out of jail and had no knowledge about the weapon. The instructors had to spend a lot of time with quite a few students and trying to teach on variety subjects and not to mention all the different types/models of shotguns that were there. I think I barely got 20 rounds fired.

Maybe since then they have slimmed down the class number and I do seem to remember them saying Turners didn't send all the people who registered at the store till the last minute.

I would recommend the full day classes though.
Old 05-16-2013, 9:51 AM

I would recommend a private lesson with someone to make sure you and the shotgun are well-fitted before anyone heads out for a multiple day course in Nevada or anywhere else. Proper gun fit, proper attire, and quiet focus time to get the basics ingrained seem to be the key to avoiding injuries, and the first two (maybe even the third) are pretty much out of your control if you go "away" to a class ...

Also, depends on where you are located but I just attended a 2-Day Shotgun course at Second Amendment Sports (www.2ndamendmentsports.com) at their brand new facility in Palm Desert, CA off the I-10 and it was excellent and INDOORS out of the heat! $75 for a 4 hour class that I thought was particularly good for someone who was not new to shooting (ie had handgun experience) but who was new to shotguns.

Last edited by RunsWithGuns; 05-24-2013 at 10:20 AM..