Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 07-11-2019, 1:03 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Default POST 7/1/19 DES CHANGES: Any change to 03/COE C&R handgun instant release during PPT?

Yesterday I did a PPT for a C&R handgun and the FFL was able to release it to me. The DROS says 'Private Party Transfer Handgun' for the transaction type and 'Collector' for waiting period exemption. The earliest delivery date was listed as 7/10 and it shows 'delivered'.

So my question is - how did he do it?

I don't think the FFL made any calls to get it released. I was asking him to do a dealer transfer but he processed it as a PPT. I would call and ask him but he is always busy so I thought I would ask the FFL braintrust at Calguns first...

Has DOJ fixed this in the DES?

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-17-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Old 07-11-2019, 1:46 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Yesterday I did a PPT for a C&R handgun and the FFL was able to release it to me. The DROS says 'Private Party Transfer Handgun' for the transaction type and 'Collector' for waiting period exemption. The earliest delivery date was listed as 7/10 and it shows 'delivered'.

So my question is - how did he do it?

I don't think the FFL made any calls to get it released. I was asking him to do a dealer transfer but he processed it as a PPT. I would call and ask him but he is always busy so I thought I would ask the FFL braintrust at Calguns first...

Has DOJ fixed this in the DES?
My experience has been that when you enter a waiting period exemption, that the "Deliver" button is present on the form even though the earliest delivery date has not lapsed.

I have used my FFLs CFD as a waiting period exemption several times.
Old 07-11-2019, 2:09 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
My experience has been that when you enter a waiting period exemption, that the "Deliver" button is present on the form even though the earliest delivery date has not lapsed.

I have used my FFLs CFD as a waiting period exemption several times.
Thank you. I was under the impression that the deliver button would not be present if the transaction was a PPT.

Maybe he did call the help line and get some type of release?

Here are some threads about it:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1485167

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1490765

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1055036

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=927809

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=13891646

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=14001048

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1474456

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-11-2019 at 2:12 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 6:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It used to be a problem, so perhaps it was fixed (a miracle?).

The workaround was to call, but that wouldn't make the DROS be correct, or to not transfer it as a PPT.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 AM

I just did a couple of C&R transfers over the weekend. They were internet transfers, not PPTs. While I was on I did a dummy run for a PPT of a C&R.

Within the "Transaction and Firearm Information" portion of the form it gives you the option of selecting "COLLECTOR" within the 30-day Exemption field. When you do that the COE box pops up. This was just a dummy run so I could not complete it, but with those two fields entered I'm pretty sure you can do an immediate delivery.

For the two C&R transfers I did, the "Deliver Gun" option didn't appear until I went back to the main menu and selected the "Deliver Gun" option. I can't remember if that is the way its always been, its been a while since I did an immediate C&R release.

I did have a little trouble a while back when I was doing a PPT for 4 handguns, one of which was C&R. I did have to call DOJ to get that one C&R released.

Off topic, I noticed that for multiple sales on the new DROS form you add each one to your "Cart" rather than submit each one individually. It all worked though and even gave me the option to "Add Ammunition" to the purchase. Also noticed that the COE field for the dealer auto-populated.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
I just did a couple of C&R transfers over the weekend. They were internet transfers, not PPTs. While I was on I did a dummy run for a PPT of a C&R.

Within the "Transaction and Firearm Information" portion of the form it gives you the option of selecting "COLLECTOR" within the 30-day Exemption field. When you do that the COE box pops up. This was just a dummy run so I could not complete it, but with those two fields entered I'm pretty sure you can do an immediate delivery.
As I recall, there was no option for COLLECTOR in the PPT DROS, so this shows that it changed.

Quote:
For the two C&R transfers I did, the "Deliver Gun" option didn't appear until I went back to the main menu and selected the "Deliver Gun" option. I can't remember if that is the way its always been, its been a while since I did an immediate C&R release.
It used to be once submitted that you had the deliver option. With the cart thing, I can see that it wouldn't be the same.

Quote:
I did have a little trouble a while back when I was doing a PPT for 4 handguns, one of which was C&R. I did have to call DOJ to get that one C&R released.
Did you select the COLLECTOR for it? I can seem multiples having a problem.

Quote:
Off topic, I noticed that for multiple sales on the new DROS form you add each one to your "Cart" rather than submit each one individually. It all worked though and even gave me the option to "Add Ammunition" to the purchase. Also noticed that the COE field for the dealer auto-populated.
One thing that is nice with the multiple cart is that if something goes wrong, you won't get multiple charges, but you would likely have to enter everything again. It would be interesting to test to see if you time out if the cart entries are still there or if it is emptied.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-16-2019, 2:05 PM

This is an upgrade that went into place on 7/1. You can now apparently deliver a C&R immediately in a PPT.

They are also cross referencing DROS to FSC database. If the buyer info doesn't match that in FSC database it will error and not finalize the DROS. This happens when you have a customer with a suffix in the suffix field and it doesn't match FSC data because the FSC system does not have a suffix field. The short term fix is the put the suffix after the last name in the last name field so it matches whatever the FSC issuer used.

Crazy, I know. But this was the solution provided by the DES helpline.
Old 07-16-2019, 3:45 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Thanks very much for all the observations. Having this option will allow me to range out farther for C&R PPTs without having to pre-arrange all types of work-arounds in advance with FFLs.

Of course a lot of FFLs are still oblivious to C&R rules (present company excluded of course) and their eyes glass over when you mention same day release. But this gives me hope!

Old 07-17-2019, 9:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just to thread hijack a little, but since we are talking changes made to the DES notice that on deliveries of firearms submitted after 7-1-19 in the COE section it auto populates the COE of the person who submitted the DROS not the person doing the delivery? What are you guys doing about this? We are just crossing out the other persons COE number and writing in our own.

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Old 07-17-2019, 2:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy's Shooting Sports View Post
This is an upgrade that went into place on 7/1. You can now apparently deliver a C&R immediately in a PPT.

They are also cross referencing DROS to FSC database. If the buyer info doesn't match that in FSC database it will error and not finalize the DROS. This happens when you have a customer with a suffix in the suffix field and it doesn't match FSC data because the FSC system does not have a suffix field. The short term fix is the put the suffix after the last name in the last name field so it matches whatever the FSC issuer used.

Crazy, I know. But this was the solution provided by the DES helpline.

I've experienced this recently. A customer's FSC was issued under her maiden name, but her new DL showed her married name. I ended up running the DROS under her maiden with alias showing her married name. I don't know if this will cause issues, but it will be a test case.

She's cool with it, so we shall see.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom