Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-07-2019, 8:30 PM

Default Pelican Storm vs Nanuk

Been going back and forth between a pelican storm and a nanuk case to protect my rifles. Originally i was going for the storm 3100, but im finding myself looking at the nanuk 985. Basically want the one with the best protection. But i do like the steel padlock hasps and better wheels on the nanuk. Anyone have some insight or experience with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Honestly man, between the three makers I think the practical differences are negligible. If anything I think Pelican cases are ever so slightly more robust than Nanuks. That's simply based on my limited experience looking at Nanuks in the store. I own Pelican cases in the interest of full disclosure.

As for Storm cases, Pelican owns Storm at this point and between these two I really think it comes down to which style of latch you prefer.

One thing I would suggest is whichever case you go with, ditch the inner foam and find a soft case to match up with it. Hard cases can truly be overkill for most needs. They're mandatory for airline travel. But once you get to where you're going, it's nice to pull the soft case out and leave the heavy case back at the hotel. If you do decide to go with foam, then definitely find a company that offers a closed cell foam option instead of the standard open cell and/or pick n pluck. Hard cell is easier to cut, holds up better in the long run, and doesn't retain moisture like open cell does.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-07-2019, 10:53 PM

I've tried both and went with Nanuk. Personally, I feel their cases are better than Pelican for several reasons:

- Nanuk's latches are stupid easy to use, durable, and ensure a proper seal every time.

- Nanuk's handles have a positive lock and are incredibly comfortable. They are nice and durable too.

- For roller cases, several reviews have noted Nanuk's rollers to be much better and a better design that is less prone to breaking.

Considering that I got a pistol case with fitted closed cell foam for $50, I think I got a steal on the Nanuk. There's a reason they're really popular in the drone crowd. They also provide cases for the military and police.
Old 01-08-2019, 7:10 AM
Calguns Addict

All three are good. I've used all three. Nanuk it's just a touch better in most aspects. My order of preference: Nanuk>Storm>Pelican. But as L84CABO says, differences are a small.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 01-08-2019, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Honestly man, between the three makers I think the practical differences are negligible. If anything I think Pelican cases are ever so slightly more robust than Nanuks. That's simply based on my limited experience looking at Nanuks in the store. I own Pelican cases in the interest of full disclosure.

As for Storm cases, Pelican owns Storm at this point and between these two I really think it comes down to which style of latch you prefer.

One thing I would suggest is whichever case you go with, ditch the inner foam and find a soft case to match up with it. Hard cases can truly be overkill for most needs. They're mandatory for airline travel. But once you get to where you're going, it's nice to pull the soft case out and leave the heavy case back at the hotel. If you do decide to go with foam, then definitely find a company that offers a closed cell foam option instead of the standard open cell and/or pick n pluck. Hard cell is easier to cut, holds up better in the long run, and doesn't retain moisture like open cell does.

Thats exactly what i plan to do!! Ditch the foam and get a soft case haha!! Personally i like the storm. But im suprised that pelican didnt reinforce the hasps with stainless steel. All their other models have it and seems like other case manufactuers have done it as well. Ive also heard their wheels are not as good. These are the reasons im looking at the nanuk. But all in all i want the one with the best protection.
Any experience with the pelican fieldpak?

Old 01-08-2019, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
All three are good. I've used all three. Nanuk it's just a touch better in most aspects. My order of preference: Nanuk>Storm>Pelican. But as L84CABO says, differences are a small.

Are the nanuk cases just as durable? Impact resistance?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM

A while back I wanted a hard case to protect my scoped rifles. I found a brand with little info and reviews. Posted on here asking about it with no responses. Brand is GDT, made in China. Pelican knock-off for less than half the cost most of the time.

I didn't have a lot of money at the time, so I went for it, knowing Amazon would accept the return. Couldn't be happier. Very rugged and well made.

I got the 53-inch version, but they do have smaller cases.

GD-T Ares Hard Case
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRyder32 View Post
Are the nanuk cases just as durable? Impact resistance?

I believe so. The materials and overall quality gives up nothing to Storm or Pelican.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM

All are good quality.
Go with what YOU prefer
Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Hardigg was an acquisition for Pelican a few years back. Storm cases are slightly less durable (especially the hasps) overall than Pelican's in-house designs due to bias towards weight savings and buoyancy.

Storm cases were made to float when thrown from a rescue chopper over water. They have an additional 10-30% buoyancy over the normal Pelican cases, due to the thinner walls and less metal in the construction.

That being said, I have a storm roller case as my main luggage when I carry along handguns on trips. The guns actually go in a separate Pelican case (proper) inside the storm case, but the light weight comes in handy.

Major con is that there is no spot inside the storm case to loop a lanyard for the smaller case.

https://peliproducts.co.uk/stories/2...vs-peli-storm/

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 01-08-2019 at 1:01 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've never seen the Nanuk case so I don't know the quality but if they're a better case I'd be impressed. My pelican case has been to Africa three times and cross country flights a few times and except for the surface scuffs and sticker residue, it's as good as new.

My only complaint with all these type of cases is they don't have a name tag holder built in like suitcases, something that would fit a business card or ID card. I put two heavy duty name tags on my gun case and after every trip only one of them survives.

I also remove the center foam and put my rifle in a soft case inside the Pelican. I also put a cleaning rod in the case.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-09-2019, 7:21 AM

Thanks for the link!!!

Old 01-09-2019, 7:26 AM

Anyone have any experience with these? The newer fieldpaks? Looking for the dimensions of the soft case. More specifically the height. The website only lists the interior dimensions of the hard case.

Old 01-15-2019, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyone have any experience with these? The newer fieldpaks? Looking for the dimensions of the soft case. More specifically the height. The website only lists the interior dimensions of the hard case.

Dimensions for these should be under the specs:

Pelican 3100 softshell

Pelican 3300 softsehll

Old 01-15-2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Dimensions for these should be under the specs:

Pelican 3100 softshell

Pelican 3300 softsehll

It lists the dimensions of the hard case interior. But not the soft case. My main concern is how deep the soft case is. It does not look to be 6” deep in the picture

Old 01-15-2019, 9:45 PM

Just get the Nanuk
Old 01-15-2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
Just get the Nanuk

Just need to find a great soft case thatll fit it.

Old 01-16-2019, 7:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It lists the dimensions of the hard case interior. But not the soft case. My main concern is how deep the soft case is. It does not look to be 6” deep in the picture

My bad. Here's the link for the actual softshell bag itself:

DW3300 bag

Old 01-16-2019, 7:34 AM

Ive checked that actually lol the dimensions are the same as the hard case. Ive tried contacting pelican about it but everyone ive talked to about it doesnt seem to know very much about the fieldpak...

Old 01-17-2019, 3:53 AM
Banned

I don't know if this (self-advertisement) is allowed to be said in forums, but all this talk about cases, I do have a quality Hard Case with a Soft Case inside for sale in non-firearms related sales, which is 50% cheaper than Amazon, and it is new, and Made in USA.
Old 01-17-2019, 3:54 AM
Banned

That field pack inside that pelican case will be at least 2 inches shorter, maximum 4".
Old 01-17-2019, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAmmunition View Post
I don't know if this (self-advertisement) is allowed to be said in forums, but all this talk about cases, I do have a quality Hard Case with a Soft Case inside for sale in non-firearms related sales, which is 50% cheaper than Amazon, and it is new, and Made in USA.

Ill check it out!

Old 04-16-2020, 1:37 PM

Here is a video showing just how durable Nanuk is. I have the 985. I wish I would have got the 990 for the extra room for bolt use

https://youtu.be/ibbwR5ixrMU

Old 04-17-2020, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't have those exact cases, but I do have both Pelican and Nanuk cases as well as a recently acquired Pelican Air case for camera gear. To me the Pelican cases are the Ruger of the hard case world, built like a tank, and weigh as much as a tank too. The Nanuk are tough cases and have held up to being tossed around in the back of the truck just as much as the Pelicans have.

I haven't had a chance to really test out the Air case, as it was bought for my trip into the interior of Alaska, that doesn't look like it's going to happen this year. So I can't really say how well it's going to do, though it does seem to be capable of doing what I need it to do, with out damage to my gear.