Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-28-2013, 2:41 PM
Banned

Thumbs up State Bill Passes To Protect Rights Of Retirees From Dissolved Police Agencies

http://hometownstation.com/santa-cla...agencies-37376

Quote:
Wed, 08/28/2013 - 12:58pm |
Santa Clarita News

State Senator Steve Knight, R-Palmdale, authored legislation that was signed by Governor Jerry Brown on Monday, guaranteeing a path for retired peace officers from dismantled police departments to renew Concealed Carry Weapons Permits.

Don't miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.

Senate Bill 303 requires law enforcement agencies in California to issue police officer identification cards and Concealed Carry Weapons Permits to officers honorably retired from a dissolved agency, if the new agency’s jurisdiction covers the same area.

“Severe statewide budget cuts over the last several years have forced many struggling cities to dissolve their police department and contract out for law enforcement services,” Knight said. “An unfortunate result of this is that retired officers can be left without a path to renew their police ID cards and CCW permits. This is inherently unfair and it was important to find a way to remedy this problem.”

This measure was supported by the Peace Officers Research Association of California.

“The Peace Officers Research Association of California appreciates Senator Knight carrying this important legislation for our 64,000 public safety members,” said Lt. Ron Cottingham of PORAC. “California has thousands of honorably retired officers, who dedicated their lives to keeping our streets safe. Unfortunately, many of these retirees are finding that their agencies are now defunct or have been absorbed. Within the last two years alone, at least five agencies have gone under, leaving their retired officers with nowhere to turn to renew their retiree identification cards and CCW permits.”

In 2004, Congress established the right for peace officers to carry firearms in any state with appropriate identification. Current law in California allows peace officers to maintain their law enforcement identification card and CCW endorsement after an honorable retirement. This ID card is provided by the agency from which the officer retired. Every five years, a retiree is required to petition the issuing agency for renewal of the privilege of carrying a loaded firearm.

“SB 303 provides a clear path by which these deserving individuals who have served their community their entire career may renew their permit--a law-issued right,” Knight said. “Retired officers from defunct departments, through no fault of their own, are placed at a distinct disadvantage to their retiree peers. This bill fixes that inequity and ensures that all peace officers who honorably retire receive the same treatment.”

Senate Bill 303 is a bipartisan measure and has received unanimous support. It was signed into law on August 26 and will take effect on January 1, 2014.
Old 08-28-2013, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good deal. Did a lot of agencies close down south? What we have seen in the Central Valley is a lot of cities that were once sheriff contract cities found it cheaper to reopen city police department. I can think of at least 3 to 4 cities that re opened their police forces.
Old 08-29-2013, 8:03 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Boy, this is some good news. I've got a buddy who retired from a now dissolved agency and he was getting the run-around when it came time to renew his retiree credentials.

Thank goodness this passed and was signed by Brown!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
Good deal. Did a lot of agencies close down south?
No, not really. Compton PD went defunct in 2000 and Maywood PD in 2010. I can see the retirees of those two departments getting hassled from the current agency that took over for them since. Now however with the passage of this bill, it shouldn't be a problem for those retired guys any longer.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 08-29-2013, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

This is a perfect example of the love-hate relationship many of us find ourselves in re: PORAC and other law enforcement associations. Without them, this type of legislation would likely have taken even longer (if ever) to be considered/passed. Does this sanctify everything the various associations do/support? Of course not, but this is certainly a good deal for retired guys/gals of now-defunct agencies.
Old 08-29-2013, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Good deal, it had not been a problem for me, the sheriff's office stepped up without question. Now I just wish they would pass something that allows retiree's to qualify with other agencies for those of us who no longer live real close to where we worked.
Old 08-30-2013, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Good deal, it had not been a problem for me, the sheriff's office stepped up without question. Now I just wish they would pass something that allows retiree's to qualify with other agencies for those of us who no longer live real close to where we worked.
I have a buddy who went out on a medical retirement from our agency over 15 years ago, he now lives in Oregon and has to drive into Southern California just to qualify/renew
Old 09-04-2013, 9:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Good deal. Now if only people with proper training and clean background could get a CCW.