Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-11-2013, 9:16 PM
Banned

Default (7) 50cals shutdown all of Socal

Seven 50 bmg's mounted on DHS "here to help you trucks" could shutdown all traffic leaving Socal and trap us here because of xx reasons.

Did I miss any egress points?

Last edited by problemchild; 10-11-2013 at 9:40 PM..
Old 10-11-2013, 9:19 PM
Banned

Default (7) 50cals shutdown all of Socal

Seven 50 bmg's mounted on the DHS turrets could shutdown all traffic leaving Socal and trap us here.

Did I miss any egress points? If you happen to find a dirt road that goes around they kill you with a drone and Awacs.

Old 10-11-2013, 9:21 PM

Coast Guard to cover the ports?
Old 10-11-2013, 9:22 PM

seriously?
Old 10-11-2013, 9:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We needs snipers!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 9:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by border.bandito View Post
seriously?
Best you can do? Please put another Obama sticker on your car, one isn't enough.

Last edited by problemchild; 10-11-2013 at 9:39 PM..
Old 10-11-2013, 9:39 PM
CGN Contributor

yes... you missed several exit points... no, I am NOT going to tell you which ones
Old 10-11-2013, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halh View Post
yes... you missed several exit points... no, I am NOT going to tell you which ones
And YOU, sir, have missed several of mine as well.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 10-11-2013, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

When the time comes, the reality will be different than all the scenarios we've kicked around and planned for.

You've identified a line of thought the local&state government ( and its LEO community) has probably long sought authority to implement.

I expect a lot more than 7 road blocks.

Last edited by VegasND; 10-11-2013 at 9:48 PM..
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Merged double tap.

One can get much the same traffic effect with a jackknifed truck, preferably a tanker, in about the same places.

Similarly, the bridges in the SF Bay area, as well as the Caldecott Tunnel, could snarl things with simple wrecks, plus a suicide on the tracks at the Embarcadero BART station.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Nothing a little off roading couldnt fix.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Calguns Addict

Location: Camp Parks Ca, Ft McCoy Ft Bragg, Ft Knox, Harvey Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Seven 50 bmg's mounted on the DHS turrets could shutdown all traffic leaving Socal and trap us here.

Did I miss any egress points? If you happen to find a dirt road that goes around they kill you with a drone and Awacs.

Not sure how a AWACs will kill me. . . I dont get it.

But, yes, you are only looking at major arteries of traffic. Stop and think how much traffic would be trying to get out that way, tons and tons of it. The best route is always to go the least traveled route. And even I know, theres tons of back road, dirt roads, bike paths, goat paths, railroad tracks to redneck stomping grounds in that AO to make it to free America!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

I think once you get that far away from the cities you have a lot more options to get off the highways and get on backroads to circumvent the blocks..

not to mention an outfit with some long range shooters could take out a road block IMO

or get one of these

-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Best you can do? Please put another Obama sticker on your car, one isn't enough.

thats not the best i can do...and neither is this:

out of respect to you; moving forward, i shall refrain from using multiple adjectives to describe your level of lunacy and paranoia

and fwiw> i drive a big lifted gas gussling V8 4x4 with a Rosanne Bar for President sticker!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict

BFD - You act like nobody here can stalk and bang the gong at a grand plus.

Why else would we have .338LM's - Elk...?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Title is misleading.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
Title is misleading.
here you go...

Quote:
(7) 50cals can no way in hell shutdown all of Socal
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Banned

Why can't we use the highways anymore?? ha ha!

Lay off the doobies for a little while.

Just jokin' around about the doobies, but seriously, why would they want to trap us on the highways?? Sounds more like the actions of a terrorist organization. Just to scare people or something.

If there were a reason for the government to destroy us or trap us in one place, they have much more simple and less personal ways of doing so.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good thing I live in NorCal. lol
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Merged double tap.

One can get much the same traffic effect with a jackknifed truck, preferably a tanker, in about the same places.

Similarly, the bridges in the SF Bay area, as well as the Caldecott Tunnel, could snarl things with simple wrecks, plus a suicide on the tracks at the Embarcadero BART station.
If all socal traffic is similar to the IE, all you need to do is have guys changing their tires on the side of the highway to cause the exact same effect.

Traffic STOPS when there is someone on the side of the highway picking their nose or breaking up with their girlfriend.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:06 AM

Those fifty's would have to have serious support on their flanks. Otherwise a few hours later they would get taken out by footmobiles that just went around. And folks bugging out of major population centers would likely have a certain contingent that was armed.

Then there's the whole convincing the guy on the fifty to fire on the massed hordes of women and children...and convincing the guys holding his flanks not to stop him.

Not saying it *couldn't* happen, but if it was that easy, then illegal immigration would be a solved problem. When people are determined/desperate, they will find a way, unless presented with overwhelming force.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:53 AM

any source to back this up? can't find anything on this yet
Old 10-12-2013, 4:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Other than an epidemic type of outbreak of some communicable disease, why would the government want to restrict travel? I just don't get it.
Old 10-12-2013, 5:39 AM

if the "day without a mexican" could not stop me from getting a burrito,why would you think 7 idiots with a .50 cal could stop me from going to canada? buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Old 10-12-2013, 5:56 AM
Banned

A verse from the Kinks= Paranoia, the destroyer.
Old 10-12-2013, 6:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebern View Post
Coast Guard to cover the ports?
Exactly. Notice how none of those red marks are on the ocean?

I'll be surfing in Mexico while the DHS is starting Civil War 2.0...

Another problem: airports. A wealthy friend has an aircraft at the Carlsbad Airport. None of those guns will stop him, either. He'll be in Mexico before me. They have a sweet place on the East Cape of Cabo! Also, you can just land a million more cargo airplanes at LAX, San Diego, Ontario, John Wayne, etc. More expensive way to ship goods, but the "blockade" wouldn't stop it at all.

Another problem: The busiest border crossing in the United States. There's no DHS red mark south of Camp Pendleton. What would stop all of San Diego from just going to Puerto Nuevo for a lobster-and-beer weekend? Heck, half the population do that without provocation from DHS!

Even if I don't want to stay in Mexico, I could drive down to Cabo, put my car on the ferry to mainland Mexico, drive up and re-enter the USA in Texas. Buy some nice tequila as a souvenir.
Mexican groceries would continue to come north across the border, as they do everyday. Maybe LA / OC people wouldn't have access, but in San Diego they'd still have fresh produce.

Also, the port of San Diego is completely unguarded. That seems like a big omission.

Also, what happens when some Major in the SEALs at Coronado decides his baby daughter needs her Enfamil, and the blockade is causing problems with the supply at the PX? Does anyone think a single 50 cal DHS truck is going to stop 20 SEALs under his command? What about when a Colonel at the Miramar Marine Core Air Station takes his F/A-18 and shows this DHS deuce-and-a-half the meaning of air power? "I'll see your .50 pop gun and raise you 4 air-to-ground missiles...."

All in all, seems like a really, really poorly conceived and completely ineffective plan for shutting down all of Socal

Last edited by speedrrracer; 10-12-2013 at 6:54 AM..
Old 10-12-2013, 8:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Exactly. Notice how none of those red marks are on the ocean?

I'll be surfing in Mexico while the DHS is starting Civil War 2.0...

Another problem: airports. A wealthy friend has an aircraft at the Carlsbad Airport. None of those guns will stop him, either. He'll be in Mexico before me. They have a sweet place on the East Cape of Cabo! Also, you can just land a million more cargo airplanes at LAX, San Diego, Ontario, John Wayne, etc. More expensive way to ship goods, but the "blockade" wouldn't stop it at all.

Another problem: The busiest border crossing in the United States. There's no DHS red mark south of Camp Pendleton. What would stop all of San Diego from just going to Puerto Nuevo for a lobster-and-beer weekend? Heck, half the population do that without provocation from DHS!

Even if I don't want to stay in Mexico, I could drive down to Cabo, put my car on the ferry to mainland Mexico, drive up and re-enter the USA in Texas. Buy some nice tequila as a souvenir.
Mexican groceries would continue to come north across the border, as they do everyday. Maybe LA / OC people wouldn't have access, but in San Diego they'd still have fresh produce.

Also, the port of San Diego is completely unguarded. That seems like a big omission.

Also, what happens when some Major in the SEALs at Coronado decides his baby daughter needs her Enfamil, and the blockade is causing problems with the supply at the PX? Does anyone think a single 50 cal DHS truck is going to stop 20 SEALs under his command? What about when a Colonel at the Miramar Marine Core Air Station takes his F/A-18 and shows this DHS deuce-and-a-half the meaning of air power? "I'll see your .50 pop gun and raise you 4 air-to-ground missiles...."

All in all, seems like a really, really poorly conceived and completely ineffective plan for shutting down all of Socal
Good points and I would hope the Seals and Marines would join the citizens, but we all know how it would play out. It would be cloaked in the DHS doing it for the good of the people.

And PC makes a good point. SoCal has some serious choke points. The smaller routes would quickly become jammed and foot traffic would take over.

Hopefully it would never get to that point but these are things to keep in mind should there be a horrific earthquake or pandemic or riots.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

The last thing you want is to sit on a major highway stuck and be a sitting duck. My territory last 15 years has been SD, OC, Riverside, SB. I know every road getting out of state off the highways. There are tons.

half of you here are weak and lame that will basically wind up being happy with .22 single shot pistols or single barrel shotguns..

Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 AM

I hope FEMA/Homeland Security has a plan to do exactly that. The last thing the rest of the country wants is a bunch of liberal Californians heading to their state.

J/K
Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 AM

More than a few ways around, the one that jumps out is 14 before it turns into 395, take 178 to lake Isabella and then continue into Bakersfield but there are plenty of side roads, get with a trucker we know them well due to snow and scales etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 PM

There are about a dozen of ways to bypass these spots once you hit the Antelope Valley using surface streets like Doug said. You should spend some time looking at trail maps and google earth if this is seriously a concern for you. They can make it more difficult but they can't stop those that know what they are doing or those with the right "keys" to fire road gates.
Old 10-12-2013, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfield_Grizzly View Post
Good points and I would hope the Seals and Marines would join the citizens, but we all know how it would play out. It would be cloaked in the DHS doing it for the good of the people.
I can guarantee you the SEALs and Marines (and a bunch of other very bad-***** types) would not allow a pathetic government lap-dog agency like the DHS to blockade them.

DHS can cloak it however they want, but that doesn't mean crap to the guys who run Camp Pendleton, who, by the way, could just roll a tank up to and over the top of the DHS 50 cal, and then head back to base. DHS blockade crushed (literally) in a few hours.

Even without military involvement, a few 50 cals are simply insignificant. The local SWAT teams have 50 cals, too, and helos, and grenade launchers and APC / tank things and God knows what else. We've all been reading about the militarization of the police -- some scattered 50s are simply not capable of standing against an agency as far down the paramilitary ladder as the LAPD

Quote:
SoCal has some serious choke points. The smaller routes would quickly become jammed and foot traffic would take over.
For car travel, sure, but essentials like food would be easy to keep importing. No scenario was presented to blockade the harbors. Do you know how much freight comes into the Port of LA? Over 12 million tons per month. That's over a ton per month for each human living in the Greater LA Area. I don't know about you, but I don't need a ton of stuff per month just to survive.

Stop all the non-essential cargo (new Toyotas, pianos, furniture, etc) and you could easily have room for all the essential cargo from the trucks that couldn't get past the blockade. Same thing with LAX and every other airport. Just stop non-essential cargo flights and replace with food, meds, personnel, etc.

LAX alone had over 63 million passengers in 2012 -- that's about 8 times the population of LA. And that was at the same time as it was also handling almost 2 million tons of cargo.
So every human could evacuate in a coupla months, tops, using just that one airport, while just the Port of LA kept the people waiting for their flight well fed and watered and whatever.

Add in Ontario, Van Nuys and John Wayne, and it's a downright trivial problem to solve.

Quote:
Hopefully it would never get to that point but these are things to keep in mind should there be a horrific earthquake or pandemic or riots.
There have been horrific earthquakes and riots in the past, and no such thing was ever contemplated. Pandemic is another story, but we all know any real contagion would spread simply by air travel, so blockading a handful of freeways is pissing in the wind.
Old 10-12-2013, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

you are more likely to be lit-up in the desert trying to be sneaky and skirting a check point then to simply go thru the main one being the grey man.
Old 10-12-2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRShooter View Post
I hope FEMA/Homeland Security has a plan to do exactly that. The last thing the rest of the country wants is a bunch of liberal Californians heading to their state.

J/K
Well I am the farthest thing from a liberal as possible. Not all of us
Californians are liberals. Besides the liberals will sit where they are knowing the gov/president will help them and rid them of us non liberals.
Old 10-12-2013, 4:39 PM

Any major catastrophic event and you wouldn't need road blocks. If every car in socal is trying to get out at once, gridlock is guaranteed.

Get a 4x4 or better yet an ATV if you plan on being able to get out of dodge.
Old 10-12-2013, 5:50 PM

Different worlds, we can close off our complete county to the outside with 6 big rigs. Close the bridges mid span and it is done. We don't need a M2.

I like our chances better than yours.
Old 10-12-2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Nothing a little off roading couldnt fix.
This ^^^

We have two 4x4 rigs and bolt/wire cutters
Old 10-12-2013, 6:02 PM
Janitors assistant

I used to think like this when I visited this crazy redhead I dated in San Mateo. Her bedroom was a choke point and I would make sure my clothes were in the hallway before entering her room. She had a cat that was always watching me too. I am sure it was her operative. I am so glad I am married now and away from the clutches of scary people.
Old 10-12-2013, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmaykafer View Post
if the "day without a mexican" could not stop me from getting a burrito,why would you think 7 idiots with a .50 cal could stop me from going to canada? buy it cheap and stack it deep.
ever been on the receiving end of a .50 cal? you may want to think before you act.

I know what a .50 cal can do and the respect it commands. I pointed my .50 at a bunch of cars in Iraq and I tell it's like the parting of the Red Sea if not a traffic accident. the sight of a .50 demands respect up and including 1 mile or more.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 10-12-2013, 9:20 PM

Pc,
I think you have it wrong. Most of the people living in your quarantine area are wrong minded and are the reason we have less and less freedom.