Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-11-2013, 6:08 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looks like I used the instructions on the 25 yard pistol target and only put 5 rounds in each of my targets the other day so I don't get to use those. And I had the rules right next to me!

Are there 10 rounds each bulls eye for the 15 yard pistol or is it 10 rounds for the entire sheet of paper? Looks like everyone is putting 10 for the entire sheet (including me).
Old 03-11-2013, 8:00 PM

15 yard pistol is 5 rounds for each bullseye, 10 rounds total.
Old 03-12-2013, 4:54 AM

15 Yard Pistol Offhand - 93

There was a family next to me teaching their kid how to shoot so I have an extra little hole though.

Old 03-12-2013, 6:34 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
Looks like I used the instructions on the 25 yard pistol target and only put 5 rounds in each of my targets the other day so I don't get to use those. And I had the rules right next to me!

Are there 10 rounds each bulls eye for the 15 yard pistol or is it 10 rounds for the entire sheet of paper? Looks like everyone is putting 10 for the entire sheet (including me).
10Xhobby got it right. I edited the rules to reflect 5 shots on each bullseye for the 15yd pistol target. I could see where it could be confusing since it had the same statement as the 25yd target. I try to get better at this everyday but sometimes....... Oh, well.
Old 03-12-2013, 6:57 AM

Its all good!! Thanks for the hard work!
Old 03-12-2013, 1:16 PM

Made it to the range today and here's the result.
25y Rifle Bench - 122

I'm having a great time with this CZ.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando View Post
25y Rifle Bench - 122
Very nice!! looks like I got my work cut out for me. My best is 116 on this target with my 10/22 but I'm hitting a shelf of 111 this month with the new Savage.
Old 03-12-2013, 2:38 PM

Quote:
25y Rifle Bench - 122

I'm having a great time with this CZ.
Nice shooting, good to see some rifle targets I can't hardly keep up with the Pistoleros and their targets (not complaining).
Old 03-12-2013, 6:24 PM

I went out today with every intention of posting a respectable target but it wasn't my day. Not even good enough for a chuckle. Maybe it was wind, ammo or the shooter im guessing the latter

-barry
Old 03-12-2013, 7:08 PM

You should still post your targets, that's part of the learning process. You will be surprised how quickly your scores will improve. Glad to have you interested in the matches.
Old 03-12-2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Very nice!! looks like I got my work cut out for me. My best is 116 on this target with my 10/22 but I'm hitting a shelf of 111 this month with the new Savage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Nice shooting, good to see some rifle targets I can't hardly keep up with the Pistoleros and their targets (not complaining).
Thanks! I installed a set of BRNO Match Sights over the wekend. What a difference. I started at 50y and did ok. At 25y with the CZ and these sights, it's like cheating.

That brings to mind a question: aperture type sights are still considered 'irons' for this contest, yes?
Old 03-12-2013, 9:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
Thanks! I installed a set of BRNO Match Sights over the wekend. What a difference. I started at 50y and did ok. At 25y with the CZ and these sights, it's like cheating.

That brings to mind a question: aperture type sights are still considered 'irons' for this contest, yes?
Yes, in fact that's all I shoot for iron sights. In reality its kind of unfair to the regular open sight guys. I shoot as well with my CZ and Kimber with aperture sights as I do with a scope @ 25 and 50 yds. Once you get the hang of using them you will amaze yourself as to how well you will shoot. Downside is they are not much use for hunting, guess that's why they call them Target Sights.

One thing to consider after you get proficient with those sights is to purchase some different size front aperture inserts. Pretty cheap and can make a real difference. I have a set of 10 different sizes and an adjustable rear aperture and they can really change the game. For $100 I'll tell you where I got em.
Old 03-13-2013, 5:01 AM

This Savage MK II I just picked up came with a set of 10 front inserts but I am fighting the rear peep sight and the fit of the stock to a man my size. I need to play with the length of pull and the comb before looking into an adjustable rear peep but that sounds like one hell of an upgrade!!
Old 03-13-2013, 6:03 AM

Quote:
For $100 I'll tell you where I got em.
Only $100 bucks to access Izzy's treasure trove of secrets? Whatta deal!
Old 03-13-2013, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Only $100 bucks to access Izzy's treasure trove of secrets? Whatta deal!
Probably found em on Amazon. They have everything!
Old 03-13-2013, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Probably found em on Amazon. They have everything!
Not on Amazon. You better hurry as soon as I have another birthday I'll probably forget where I got em. Oh well, here is some info.

Adjustable Rear Iris, fits Kimber 82g, need adapter to fit the BRNO Target Sights.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-GEHM...0_MM_-780.aspx

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-GEHM...TION-1622.aspx

These are the inserts that I think work with the BRNO and Kimber 82G front globe sight. They are not the same as I have but the company that made mine sold their inventory to Champions Choice. I would call or email them before buying to ensure you get the right ones. Mine range in size from 2.4-4.2mm (10 inserts) so these are a different size. Buyer beware. Mine were made by Slimline of Canada and I think (emphasis on THINK) these will fit.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CHAM..._Dia_-677.aspx

I apologize in advance if I am contributing to your addiction and causing your bank account to get smaller.

Last edited by Izzy43; 03-13-2013 at 8:07 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 8:20 AM

That Gehmann Iris is on my wish list but I'm going to play with the stock iris for now (code for 'out of money').

I did get a set of the Slimline inserts. I wasn't sure how I'd like them but they are extremely handy. Do you find yourself changing them out often? Do you match the opening to the entire black ring on the target or only the X? Why not just put the smallest disk in and leave it at that?
Old 03-13-2013, 9:09 AM

Quote:
That Gehmann Iris is on my wish list but I'm going to play with the stock iris for now (code for 'out of money').

I did get a set of the Slimline inserts. I wasn't sure how I'd like them but they are extremely handy. Do you find yourself changing them out often? Do you match the opening to the entire black ring on the target or only the X? Why not just put the smallest disk in and leave it at that?
The front inserts are used to size the target to the opening in the insert. You want to leave a small ring of white around a black bullseye when viewed thru the front aperture. You will not achieve the best precision by sizing the aperture to the exact size of the bullseye, it is best to see the a white ring inside the front aperture with the bullseye inside that white ring. Equalize the white ring around the bullseye and shoot. The size also depends on the shooters eyesight (how well you can see). I initially started with the smallest aperture but found thru experimentation that a larger aperture worked better for me. When shooting the black bullseye is just a blur in my sight, I concentrate on seeing an equal amount of white around the bull.

The adjustable rear iris (aperture) is used to control the amount of light that you get thru the sight. On overcast days it is useful to open the iris up to a larger aperture to allow more light, close it down on a bright day to eliminate glare. It is pretty amazing to adjust the iris and suddenly its like a spotlight is shown on the target.

Standard target sizes for aperture sights is 2" bull @ 25yds, 4" bull @ 50yds and 8" bull @ 100yds. These are what the serious competition shooters use. All very scientific, has to do with the human eye looking thru a small hole at a distant circle.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Well I got back out on my range today with some renewed effort and turned out a slightly better target. Let me know if I scored it wrong.

50 yard rifle w/scope

-barry

Last edited by Barryt; 03-13-2013 at 1:49 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryt View Post
Well I got back out on my range today with some renewed effort and turned out a slightly better target. Let me know if I scored it wrong.

50 yard rifle w/scope

-barry
Nice shooting Barry. I don't understand the +1 on the upper left bullseye and same on the lower right. If 2 holes are touching you have 2 bonus points, 3 touching is +3, etc. up to 5 bonus points on each bullesye. Maybe you need to take another look at your target for the bonus points to ensure you have scored it correctly. Its a little hard for me to see.

Izzy

Last edited by Izzy43; 03-13-2013 at 1:21 PM.. Reason: got my right and left mixed up
Old 03-13-2013, 1:30 PM

Quote:
The front inserts are used to size the target to the opening in the insert. You want to leave a small ring of white around a black bullseye when viewed thru the front aperture. You will not achieve the best precision by sizing the aperture to the exact size of the bullseye, it is best to see the a white ring inside the front aperture with the bullseye inside that white ring. Equalize the white ring around the bullseye and shoot. The size also depends on the shooters eyesight (how well you can see). I initially started with the smallest aperture but found thru experimentation that a larger aperture worked better for me. When shooting the black bullseye is just a blur in my sight, I concentrate on seeing an equal amount of white around the bull.

The adjustable rear iris (aperture) is used to control the amount of light that you get thru the sight. On overcast days it is useful to open the iris up to a larger aperture to allow more light, close it down on a bright day to eliminate glare. It is pretty amazing to adjust the iris and suddenly its like a spotlight is shown on the target.

Standard target sizes for aperture sights is 2" bull @ 25yds, 4" bull @ 50yds and 8" bull @ 100yds. These are what the serious competition shooters use. All very scientific, has to do with the human eye looking thru a small hole at a distant circle.
OK I'll give this a go next time out at the range.
Old 03-13-2013, 1:48 PM

I uploaded a corrected copy. Thanks for letting me know.

-barry
Old 03-13-2013, 4:52 PM
CGN Contributor

ran out to the range today at lunch for about 30 minutes of shooting; here's the results. 2 targets @ 25 yds with the 10/22, tech sights, off hand (no sling), 2 targets at 25 yds with the 10/22, tech sights, benched, 1 target at 15 yards with the buckmark, off hand, factory irons (fiber optic front, white dot rear). blazer ammo for all. i shot 2 more targets with the pistol but they were dismal. i think i was rushing to get back to work on time.

offhand rifle:

benched rifle:

offhand pistol:

Last edited by peterabbits; 03-13-2013 at 8:17 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 8:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Man, just went through the "guns and gear" thread - I am jealous of the setup some of y'all have!i feel woefully inadequate now, me with my 10/22 with tech sights, no swivel studs so no sling, no real way to bench rest it at my indoor range o I'm just supporting with my elbow on the "table"... . What...no pity points? Lol jk. In all seriousness though, I'm glad I found this thread and you guys. In spite of not scoring very highly, I'm actually pretty pleased with the group sizes I got today. Definitely can be improved upon, but still among some of my smaller groups.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Lol yeah just talkin smack. . I think my groupings make it pretty clear that there was a marked improvement using my elbow vs offhand. And there's still light years of improvement room to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Elbow on the table is actually not to bad...if a lightweight rifle it can assist with planting the buttstock in the shoulder a little more firmly.

It does help to be able to sit down though while doing so...

Watched an older Gentleman last week with iron sights CZ (I think) put CCI Mini-Mags in 2" circles at 25 yards using elbows while standing up.

Equipment is no good if the shooter's technique sucks.

=8-)
Old 03-14-2013, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterabbits View Post
Lol yeah just talkin smack. . I think my groupings make it pretty clear that there was a marked improvement using my elbow vs offhand. And there's still light years of improvement room to go.
I shot my best 25 yard score so far with my ruger 10/22 and tech sights. All I used was my elbow and a sling.

Spent my money on a target rifle and cant get back to my high score...yet. Probably should add a sling.

Last edited by Lazyme; 03-14-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 4:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Went back today at lunch and shot just the 10/22. Amazing how much a difference focusing a little more on finding my natural point of aim makes compared to yesterday!

Old 03-14-2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterabbits View Post
Went back today at lunch and shot just the 10/22. Amazing how much a difference focusing a little more on finding my natural point of aim makes compared to yesterday!
I know what you mean there. lately I feel like I'm fighting to get behind my rifle.
Old 03-15-2013, 7:10 AM

Thumbs up March Match Targets "Pistol"

I went to the Gun Range in Sacramento last night. I was able to shoot my rimfire matches, sight in the new red dot on my Benelli .32 and did some rapid fire with the Kimber 1911. Good night at the range.

15 YARDS OFFHAND PISTOL 96
15 YARDS BENCHREST PISTOL 118
25 YARD OFFHAND PISTOL 94
25 YARD BENCHREST PISTOL 104

Attachment 214972

Attachment 214973

Attachment 214974

Attachment 214975

Last edited by 10xhobby; 04-09-2013 at 3:38 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 7:17 AM

Very nice especially the 25y bench rest. You got that Buckmark dialed in!
Old 03-15-2013, 7:23 AM

Thanks Sando, I do love this gun. I have been shooting the Browning since the 90's. I am now noticing the way different ammo is reacting, always trying to improve.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

So today I ventured into the realm of Pistola Shootin. Shot the 15 and 25yd targets, benchrest with my S&W 22A-1, Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot (love this thing) and Federal Automatch ammo.

I am very pleased with my first time out. Many thanks to 10Xhobby for his insight and recommendation on a decent Red Dot scope to help these 66 year old eyes. Prior to installing this Bushnell TRS-25 I was lucky to get 10 shots on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper @ 25yds, not much better @ 15yds. I am a ways away from the winner's circle (if ever) but I had a blast today shooting this pistol. We will see if some practice will help my scores. The "Hand Wiggle" (maybe caused by cafeine) really shows up @ 25yds.

1. 15yd Benchrest, Score 108.
2. 25yd Benchrest, Score 91.

But First the Pistol.

15yd Target

25yd Target

Last edited by Izzy43; 03-15-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Good shooting! The bench rest category is the only way I stand a chance against 10xhobby, his offhand skills are unreal.

Hopefully this distracts you from taking home first place in the rifle category...
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Good shooting! The bench rest category is the only way I stand a chance against 10xhobby, his offhand skills are unreal.

Hopefully this distracts you from taking home first place in the rifle category...
I tried a few targets shooting offhand, you don't want to hear about it. Rifle shooting is still my main focus but I really enjoyed the pistol shooting today and will continue in the future. Rocks don't live long enough for me to ever equal 10Xhobby or you but in my case its more about being in the game than expecting to win. The other advantage to pistol shooting (for me anyway) is I can use ammo that's 6 cents a round instead of the 20 cents per round that I shoot in the rifles. The only ammo this pistol doesn't like is CCI Mini-Mags, who woulda thunk it.

Last edited by Izzy43; 03-15-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
So today I ventured into the realm of Pistola Shootin. Shot the 15 and 25yd targets, benchrest with my S&W 22A-1, Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot (love this thing) and Federal Automatch ammo.

I am very pleased with my first time out. Many thanks to 10Xhobby for his insight and recommendation on a decent Red Dot scope to help these 66 year old eyes. Prior to installing this Bushnell TRS-25 I was lucky to get 10 shots on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper @ 25yds, not much better @ 15yds. I am a ways away from the winner's circle (if ever) but I had a blast today shooting this pistol. We will see if some practice will help my scores. The "Hand Wiggle" (maybe caused by cafeine) really shows up @ 25yds.

1. 15yd Benchrest, Score 108.
2. 25yd Benchrest, Score 91.

But First the Pistol.

15yd Target

25yd Target

That S&W with Red Dot is a nice looking setup. I have something similar on my bucket list but it's a ways off. The 15y target ain't bad at all. Did you shoot the top target first? I notice my patterns opening up the longer I hold on target. I gotta learn to rest in between.
Old 03-15-2013, 1:24 PM

I shot the upper bullseye of the 15yd target first. I started shooting too fast on the second bull and think I continued that on the 25yd target. I need to practice more control that's for sure. No excuses though, the bullets go where you are aiming.
Old 03-15-2013, 2:41 PM

Default Match Update

A quick note on this month's match. It's the middle of the month, so far we have equaled last month's targets and shooter entries. Nine shooters/24 targets posted. Good job you guys, keep em coming.
Old 03-15-2013, 3:27 PM

Izzy, Nice looking rig, That 22a is a great gun and it looks like the red dot helped a ton. Great job on the pistola and welcome to my world lol. You really notice the Hand Wiggle now, with the red dot.

You still have to teach me how to shoot a rifle.
Old 03-15-2013, 6:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Wow you people are amazing shots! Wish I had been able to get out today...
Old 03-15-2013, 7:32 PM

Gave the 25 yard pistola a try and raised my score a few points. Ill have to try again once 10xhobby shoots his normal 110 on the bench.

Pistol 25 yard bench rest - 106

Pistol 25 yard off hand - 80
I am pretty sure there are 3 in the 10 (the one on the left has 2) but Ill take a 68 if needed.