Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-08-2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
No. They want an auto registration, utility bill, anything current that confirms your residence location. They're gonna physically check anyway, but they won't even start the process if you can't prove you live in the county.
Sorry I probably didn't word that correctly, I meant when purchasing a handgun. CCW license can be used as a government ID for POR purposes?
Old 09-08-2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFW View Post
CCW can be used as proof of residency if CDL doesn't show current address, correct?
For?
I have used my CCW as proof of residency during road blocks and evacuations.
My CDL only has my PO Box on it and has been that way 35 years.
Quote:
No. They want an auto registration, utility bill, anything current that confirms your residence location. They're gonna physically check anyway, but they won't even start the process if you can't prove you live in the county.
If he has a CCW, then what process are you talking about?
Old 09-08-2017, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

From the OAG's FAQs: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3
Quote:
As part of the DROS process, the purchaser must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

Purchasers of handguns must provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification)...
The CCW can be used to meet this second ID requirement. It also exempts one from the FSC and the safe handling demonstration requirements.
Old 09-08-2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
From the OAG's FAQs: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3The CCW can be used to meet this second ID requirement. It also exempts one from the FSC and the safe handling demonstration requirements.
This.

The process was applying for a CCW in another county. Perhaps I misunderstood that.
If you have a SBD CCW and move to OC you have to re-apply.

I must have just missed the entire question. Sorry.
Old 09-09-2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
This.

The process was applying for a CCW in another county. Perhaps I misunderstood that.
If you have a SBD CCW and move to OC you have to re-apply.

I must have just missed the entire question. Sorry.
Where does it say he has a SBD CCW and is moving to OC?
Old 09-09-2017, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejitsu View Post
Hey guys, I just moved to OC from San Bernardino county where I have had a CCW for the past several years. I want to apply in OC but do they have time restrictions on how long you must have lived in the county before you can apply?
This ^^
I mixed the two posts.
@38spec - I was just seeing if you were paying attention.

Ya, a CCW is good for buying another firearm. LOL

Last edited by Browneye; 09-09-2017 at 6:07 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
This ^^
I mixed the two posts.
@38spec - I was just seeing if you were paying attention.

Ya, a CCW is good for buying another firearm. LOL
4 AM and no coffee yet....try harder next time!
Old 09-11-2017, 2:58 PM

Default Electing Pro 2A Sheriff

I have started a thread on the California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism forum and am inviting LEOs to share their ideas on the subject of getting a 2A Sheriff elected. As I am in Orange County and there will be an election next year to replace Sandra Hutchens, I am particularly interested in those of you from the OC. However, I don't know that this thread should be limited to just the OC and in it I suggest that perhaps there should be a forum dedicated to electing pro 2A officials including but not limited to Sheriffs in other counties.

The thread to which your thoughts are invited is at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1376942 .
Old 09-11-2017, 7:19 PM

Link is dead.
What discussion has been had with their newest sergeant?
Do we even know who is in the running?
Old 09-11-2017, 9:46 PM

thanks for the info guys, very helpful
Old 09-13-2017, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbobke View Post
My timeline so far...

2/4/2017 - appointment request
2/6/2017 - appointment set for 9/27/2017
4/17/2017 - appointment moved up to 9/13/2017
9/13/2017 - appointment completed, asked to provide more documentation for good cause and to get Livescan done

Questions for you guys: the only fees that I should expect to pay are the DOJ fee (paid at the time I do the Livescan, $93 plus the cost of the scan), the training fee (varies depending on where I get the training done), and the final Local fee of $111, correct?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place in Lake Forest to get a Livescan done on the weekend?

Also, I have to say that I really appreciate how helpful the OSCD deputy was that interviewed me. He led me in the right direction for strengthening my good cause statement, and was quick to answer any questions that I had.
https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.TKpxKhTDczE
Old 09-13-2017, 6:55 PM

mcbobke, I had a good experience at Secure Live Scan in Aliso Viejo. Not far from Lake Forest. It looks like they open Saturdays from 10-2. 6 Journey Aliso Viejo suite 270

Last edited by Gavelams; 09-13-2017 at 6:58 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 7:31 PM

My timeline...

9/8/2017 - appointment request
9/11/2017 - appointment set for 11/21/2017

I have begun researching info to help me articulate my GCS as best as possible.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 9:18 PM

I went to Secure live scan as well. Very quick and easy. Another option is to start your training as well. I went through OC Firearms training and they can put together some package that include Live Scan, OC CCW training and UT/AZ training. They also help you with all of he paperwork and fingerprinting for AZ/UT.

The training met the requirements and was only about 7 hours including range time.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

I just returned from OCSD for my renewal appointment. Hats off to the OCSD CCW unit. The level of professionalism, courtesy, respect, and efficiency cannot be understated. They are fast as well. I was in and out of my appointment in less than twenty minutes, which included them taking a new photograph and signature.

My permit expires in two weeks and my new permit has the issue date on the same date as my current permit expires so it is exactly two years to the day. No lost time between permits!

The new permits also have a new look to them as well. They include your place of business address as well as your occupation. I did not notice this until I left and I am not sure why they list that but its all good.

Kudos to OCSD as they truly do understand the meaning of customer service to those they serve. Awesome experience!!!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 09-15-2017, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenvalley View Post
I went to Secure live scan as well. Very quick and easy. Another option is to start your training as well. I went through OC Firearms training and they can put together some package that include Live Scan, OC CCW training and UT/AZ training. They also help you with all of he paperwork and fingerprinting for AZ/UT.

The training met the requirements and was only about 7 hours including range time.

That's what I did....got everything done at once....completed all before the initial interview. Arizona license came 1 month later. At the OCSD interview, the OC Sheriff deputy gave thumbs up for completing all, said the package was ready for submittal and all should be good.

BUT, 2 weeks later, still waiting for the residency check #%$&!.........
Old 09-15-2017, 1:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenvalley View Post

Dave and Rich are solid guys.
Old 09-15-2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
That's what I did....got everything done at once....completed all before the initial interview. Arizona license came 1 month later. At the OCSD interview, the OC Sheriff deputy gave thumbs up for completing all, said the package was ready for submittal and all should be good.

BUT, 2 weeks later, still waiting for the residency check #%$&!.........
That's what I thought too but when she asked for more documentation for my GC statement I asked if the residency check was done and she said it had been done the day after my initial appointment. I did the same as you and had the Live Scan and training done before the interview. It still took 54 days from interview to final approval.
Old 09-18-2017, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawker View Post
That's what I thought too but when she asked for more documentation for my GC statement I asked if the residency check was done and she said it had been done the day after my initial appointment. I did the same as you and had the Live Scan and training done before the interview. It still took 54 days from interview to final approval.
A far sight better than some of the applicants from months back that waited up to a year for processing.
Old 09-18-2017, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
I have started a thread on the California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism forum and am inviting LEOs to share their ideas on the subject of getting a 2A Sheriff elected. As I am in Orange County and there will be an election next year to replace Sandra Hutchens, I am particularly interested in those of you from the OC. However, I don't know that this thread should be limited to just the OC and in it I suggest that perhaps there should be a forum dedicated to electing pro 2A officials including but not limited to Sheriffs in other counties.

The thread to which your thoughts are invited is at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1376942 .
I don't know why that link doesn't work, but this one should. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1376942
Old 09-18-2017, 8:55 AM

The following, and especially the blog entry, gives some idea of David Harrington's position on CCW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
For those that haven't yet, you really should read the blog entry by David Harrington, candidate for Orange County Sheriff, found at https://crshncrm.wixsite.com/harring...2017/07/26/CCW

A few bullet points:

- Shall Issue. As long as you pass basic requirements set out by state law, the issuing authority shall issue you a permit. There is no good cause requirement.

- Bizarre Legislative Attacks. The State's constant attacks on gun rights make law abiding citizens less safe while lessening the penalties for criminals using firearms in the commission of a crime.

-SCOTUS Needs to Decide. The High Court should have taken up Peruta to clarify the RKBA and hopefully will do so in Grace v. District of Columbia

Last edited by Chewy65; 09-18-2017 at 8:57 AM..
Old 09-18-2017, 9:29 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbobke View Post
Also, I have to say that I really appreciate how helpful the OSCD deputy was that interviewed me. He led me in the right direction for strengthening my good cause statement, and was quick to answer any questions that I had.
Could you elaborate on this please?
Old 09-20-2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I just returned from OCSD for my renewal appointment. Hats off to the OCSD CCW unit. The level of professionalism, courtesy, respect, and efficiency cannot be understated. They are fast as well. I was in and out of my appointment in less than twenty minutes, which included them taking a new photograph and signature.

My permit expires in two weeks and my new permit has the issue date on the same date as my current permit expires so it is exactly two years to the day. No lost time between permits!

The new permits also have a new look to them as well. They include your place of business address as well as your occupation. I did not notice this until I left and I am not sure why they list that but its all good.

Kudos to OCSD as they truly do understand the meaning of customer service to those they serve. Awesome experience!!!
Big Jake, I was wondering how long was the time between completion of training/submit certificate and when OCSD renewal appointment? Was there an interview? What were the steps needed?

Thanks much!
Old 09-22-2017, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdctrl View Post
Big Jake, I was wondering how long was the time between completion of training/submit certificate and when OCSD renewal appointment? Was there an interview? What were the steps needed?

Thanks much!
I trained on 9/9 and faxed in the training document the same day. On 9/12 I received an e-mail for my renewal appointment for 9/15. Easy peezy and no interview. I handed them a money order for $80.00 and signed the application. In and out in less then twenty minutes with new permit in hand and this included taking a new photograph!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

Last edited by Big Jake; 09-22-2017 at 3:23 PM..
Old 09-22-2017, 6:34 PM

Default Renewal Appointment Request

In many of the time lines I see posted I see the step "Appointment Requested", is this when the renewal application was submitted (but not yet approved).
Example:
2/4/2017 - appointment request
2/6/2017 - appointment set for 9/27/2017
4/17/2017 - appointment moved up to 9/13/2017
9/13/2017 - appointment completed, asked to provide more documentation for good cause and to get Livescan done

I've sent in my renewal app., they requested a couple of doc corrections and I sent those in and now they've gone dark on me. It's been about 3 weeks....
Anyway.......is "Appointment Requested", the same as "application submitted"?
Old 09-22-2017, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH-47 View Post
Anyway.......is "Appointment Requested", the same as "application submitted"?
That would be the date you submitted your request for a appointment. Do you submit your app online when you ask for your appointment?