Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Can I participate in Appleseed with a Pellet rifle?

Just wondering if this is limited to firearms only?

I'd be using a very high end Pre-Charged Pneumatic.

Not a "BB" gun.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM

Best bet would be to determine what event you want to attend and discuss it with the Shoot Boss for that event. Some pellet rifles might be fine, many would not work well with our course of fire. Often loaner rifles are available with enough notice to the Shoot Boss. When this has come up at my shoots, a loaner .22 has been a better way to go in each case. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2012, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconnerley View Post
Best bet would be to determine what event you want to attend and discuss it with the Shoot Boss for that event. Some pellet rifles might be fine, many would not work well with our course of fire. Often loaner rifles are available with enough notice to the Shoot Boss. When this has come up at my shoots, a loaner .22 has been a better way to go in each case. Hope this helps.
Ahh, but I'd prefer to shoot it with the pellet rifle cause it's so accurate and what I want to be better at.

It's an 3 position rifle similar to used in competition.
Old 10-30-2012, 6:49 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It needs to hold 6 or 8 rounds and have the ability to reload quickly. Does your rifle use magazines?
Old 10-30-2012, 7:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
It needs to hold 6 or 8 rounds and have the ability to reload quickly. Does your rifle use magazines?

Yes, uses mags.

It's this.....

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Daystate/AirRanger.htm
Old 10-30-2012, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Daystate Air Ranger.....

A highly versatile rifle with the power and accuracy to handle anything you want it to do; from the hardest of hunting trips, to the challenge of Hunter Field Target. Recoil free 10-shot repeater that comes with a full length barrel shroud. Fitted with the new Harper Mk4 valve for a high shot capacity. Ambidextrous high grade walnut stock with a superb oiled finish.
You've got a "shoulder thing that goes up", so no, you can't, AND YOU SHOULDN'T!! think of the kids you jerk!!!

ok, ok, ok......nice airgun...too much $$$ for me, but if i had extra cash laying around i'd probably pick one up just for fun!! How do you fill the air tank if it's non-removable?? CO2 or compressed air??? and on that note, what if you run out at appleseed??? how would you refill?

i say sell it and buy a Ruger 10/22 and trick it out....

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-30-2012, 8:30 PM
CGSSA Leader

Pretty neat. One of these days I will have a big airgun in my safe. This is a slick rig to be sure.

I found a video on this airgun here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJa3DxMi_To

There's nothing safety-wise that would be a problem for us. The magazine is clearly removable, bolt can be opened, might even be able to snake a chamber flag in there.

I do have a couple of concerns, though. Our course of fire is about 200 rounds on Saturday, 300+ on Sunday, so that's a lot of SCUBA fills (about 30 shots per refill). You'll have to lug your tank to the line to fill it every time. It's going to be frustrating.

I question whether the airgun can hold a 4 MOA group -- nothing particular to this model, it's just the nature of the beast. That'll be up to you to figure out. If it can't, then you will have a hard time seeing improvement from the class, and you have no chance to score Rifleman.

You'll want to figure out how to rig a sling on the airgun. I don't see an easy way to do it, but there might be a way.

Don't want you to show up and be frustrated. The skills we teach translate to just about any firearm. You won't lose much if you learn with us on a .22 and then practice with your own airgun. Not ideal but it's pretty close.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Fill with a little pony tank. It's very accurate and capable. Used in Hunter Field Target class of shooting.

Seems ok to do. When's the next match?
Old 11-01-2012, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

That rifle is bad ***! Great thing about air rifles is you can shoot in your back yard or even your house/garage. Lets see you do that with your 10/22. :P

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM

That is a really cool pellet rifle! If you decide to bring it out to an Appleseed, as suggested above, you'll want to rig a sling for it (check out other parts of the AS sub-forum for ideas on this) and have at least 2 magazines with at least a 5 round capacity. If I were the Shoot Boss, my main question would be how long it takes to recharge the air reservoir, as it seems that would be the biggest difference between preparing your pellet rifle for a drill versus a typical firearm. To avoid disappointment, be sure to check with the Shoot Boss of your chosen event prior to registering. He or she will have the final say regarding what is allowed on the firing line at that event.

Registration and schedule info is here:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php

Tips about preparation and what to bring are here: http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM

I am also wondering the same thing as you. I just picked up a M-Rod .25 cal and it would do well in the Appleseed shoot I think. Would like to know if it will fly. It has 8 round clips also.

Oh yes very nice Daystate you have there! I went with the Marauder instead to save a few bucks but it shoots darn nice. It puts the hurt to starlings and tree rats for sure!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
CGSSA Leader

Since you're near Long Beach, your best bet is probably Corona. Next shoot there is November 17-18, but it may sell out. After that there are three shoots in SoCal on Dec 14-15.

Just so you know, us instructors like to see new things on the line, so we'll try to say "yes." We only need everyone to be safe, and we want you get your money's worth out of the course.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
That rifle is bad ***! Great thing about air rifles is you can shoot in your back yard or even your house/garage. Lets see you do that with your 10/22. :P
This is why i like my air rifle. I shoot it in the back yard, or in the garage on a bad day.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconnerley View Post
That is a really cool pellet rifle! If you decide to bring it out to an Appleseed, as suggested above, you'll want to rig a sling for it (check out other parts of the AS sub-forum for ideas on this) and have at least 2 magazines with at least a 5 round capacity. If I were the Shoot Boss, my main question would be how long it takes to recharge the air reservoir, as it seems that would be the biggest difference between preparing your pellet rifle for a drill versus a typical firearm. To avoid disappointment, be sure to check with the Shoot Boss of your chosen event prior to registering. He or she will have the final say regarding what is allowed on the firing line at that event.

Registration and schedule info is here:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php

Tips about preparation and what to bring are here: http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

To Re-fill would be a less than a few minutes.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
That's what I THOUGHT. In San Mateo ...

"10.26.010 DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS -- PROHIBITED. No person shall discharge or fire any firearm within the city except as otherwise provided herein. For purposes of this chapter, "firearm" is defined as a gun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, BB gun, air gun, pellet gun, bow and arrow, crossbow, blow gun, slingshot or any other weapon of a similar nature designed to discharge a projectile propelled by the expension of a gas or a spring or any other device designed to throw or sling or otherwise project any solid object. (Ord. 1985-19 § 1, 1985; Ord. 1975-13 § 1 (part), 1975)."

Not even a sling shot ...