Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-18-2013, 3:40 PM

Smile What is a Good Laser Bore Sight for Daylight Use

I am looking for a bore sight kit that is bright enough to use outdoors in daylight at 100 yds. Are caliber specific bore sights better than the universal units? Can anyone help guide me in the right direction. I am on a very limited budget, so that is a major consideration. There is only one gun range in my area and it is at Laguna Seca Raceway. It is only open form 10:00 am to 4 pm and only 4 days a week. So the only place I can use the bore sight is in the daytime. I guess I could measure out 100 yds. on my driveway and put a target up on the back fence, but I probably would scare the crap out of my neighbors.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by snake Dr; 10-18-2013 at 5:03 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 7:21 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

caliber specific cartridge are definitely better than muzzle installed universal sighter (the muzzle versions have significant variance just by rotating the unit)...

I've recently realized the NLT SIRT laser training bolt is a good bore sighter... I have the green laser with is easily visible in daylight (much easier to see than red)... it's a fun (pseudo) training device - but also a good bore sighter - I don't even use the cartridge bore sighter on AR15s anymore. http://nextleveltraining.com/ar

BTW, you just reminded me... I have a 7.62x39 laser cartridge that I don't need anymore (recently sold all my AK stuff)... if anyone wants it let me know (free)... I also have a universal muzzle mounted sighter - but I wouldn't even recommend it for free (it will get you close, but there are better options).
Old 10-19-2013, 7:30 AM

LB
I would have bought your 7.62 laser cartridge if I had an AK, but I don't. Thanks for the advice though. The Next Level sight is quite a bit out of my budget these days as I have not worked in 10 years due to a back injury that has resulted in 8 spinal surgeries and 6 fused discs. So I basically live on Social Security which does not even cover the rent. If it were not for my wife's S.S. check we would have lost our house. It is amazing how one unexpected injury can take you from making a really good living with lots of discretionary income, to abject poverty. And since the injury happened at work; instead of getting the medical treatment I need, 95% of requested treatments are denied. And instead of what would be a Multi million dollar settlement for my 100% disability if I was injured in a car accident; I wont even get enough to buy a decent car. Pretty despicable as my injury was totally the fault of the management of my workplace and because of my injury, they have stolen 30+ years of my life and condemned me to what is tantamount to legalized torture for the last 16 years and will continue until I die. They don't pay me any money and about the only thing they approve is pain meds. Sorry to rant on this subject, but after 16 years and at least another 15 to come; I am so angry at the politicians that allowed these laws to get passed by selling their votes to the insurance companies, that I am completely disgusted with this State and politicians in general. And this government shutdown just reinforces my opinions of politicians. I think every one of them should have been impeached or had a large fine for every day they closed down the government. Especially since they accomplished nothing!

Last edited by snake Dr; 10-19-2013 at 8:08 AM..
Old 10-19-2013, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

None. Laser boresighters are just gimicks. It only takes one shot to zero a rifle at any distance so, why waste money on crap that doesn't work?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 10-19-2013, 8:13 AM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
None. Laser boresighters are just gimicks. It only takes one shot to zero a rifle at any distance so, why waste money on crap that doesn't work?
With some rifles, you can't see down the barrel to get sighted... And if you aren't on paper after the first shot you really don't have an option other than trial and error with sight adjustment. A bore sighter is a good tool in those instances ( for me).

YMMV
Old 10-19-2013, 3:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
With some rifles, you can't see down the barrel to get sighted... And if you aren't on paper after the first shot you really don't have an option other than trial and error with sight adjustment. A bore sighter is a good tool in those instances ( for me).

YMMV
LOL. I zero my optics at 1000 yards with one shot and don't even use paper at all. One shot at a rock or clay pigeon on the impact berm is all I need to be in the ten ring when I move to paper.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 10-19-2013, 3:44 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
LOL. I zero my optics at 1000 yards with one shot and don't even use paper at all. One shot at a rock or clay pigeon on the impact berm is all I need to be in the ten ring when I move to paper.
if the impact berm is 20+ yards behind the paper, and you are able to dial in your scope from that - you are awesome.

For those of us that aren't as awesome as you, a cartridge bore sighter helps... maybe one day I can be so awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
Old 10-19-2013, 4:09 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
BTW, you just reminded me... I have a 7.62x39 laser cartridge that I don't need anymore (recently sold all my AK stuff)... if anyone wants it let me know (free)...
If still available, Id gladly cover the shipping costs for it.
Old 10-19-2013, 4:28 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
If still available, Id gladly cover the shipping costs for it.
you got it brother...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
Old 10-19-2013, 4:35 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
you got it brother...
PM incoming.
Old 10-22-2013, 8:15 AM

Boresighters are not necessary.
Start at 25 yards, take a carefully aimed shot, adjust. Go to 50 yards, do the same. Then you will be be on paper at 100.
Just remember what a 1/4 minute is at the various distances when adjusting.
Old 10-22-2013, 9:25 AM
Made in the USA

Or sight it in at home before even going to range and be within inches.

Why do people insist on telling others what they should and shouldn't use?... If you don't use a bore sighter, fine - but who cares?... The thread topic is asking about universal vs cartridge... And a version that works in daylight.

Save your preaching for the "are bore sighters worth it?" threads.
Old 10-22-2013, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb269 View Post
Boresighters are not necessary.
Start at 25 yards, take a carefully aimed shot, adjust. Go to 50 yards, do the same. Then you will be be on paper at 100.
Just remember what a 1/4 minute is at the various distances when adjusting.
Why waste ammo when you can zero your optics at any distance with only one shot? I have taught kids how to take an non boresighted gun and zero it close enough to hit a clay pigeon at 1000 yards on their second shots.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 10-23-2013, 6:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake Dr View Post
I am looking for a bore sight kit that is bright enough to use outdoors in daylight at 100 yds. Are caliber specific bore sights better than the universal units? Can anyone help guide me in the right direction. I am on a very limited budget, so that is a major consideration. There is only one gun range in my area and it is at Laguna Seca Raceway. It is only open form 10:00 am to 4 pm and only 4 days a week. So the only place I can use the bore sight is in the daytime. I guess I could measure out 100 yds. on my driveway and put a target up on the back fence, but I probably would scare the crap out of my neighbors.

Thanks

Mike
A green laser bore sight might be your best option. As far as I know, there are no cartridge green laser sights, so you might be limted to a universal muzzle bore sight.

Chase B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 10-27-2013, 8:58 PM

I have always found that people that feel the need to tell everyone how great they are; are usually all mouth and no substance. So if cscannoneer is so great, then he should come out to Laguna Seca and prove it; or shut the H___ up! Showing the quotes of what a jerk he is on his own posts, just tells me he is all show and no go; and his opinions are just a way to make himself feel good by putting other people down!

Thanks so much to the folks that were helpful on the subject.

I really don't know why there are so many jerks on every forum, that just get off on putting people down. As we were all taught; there are no stupid questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!. However, asking a question on this forum is just a way to get all the jerks to make you feel like an idiot. That is why I rarely post any questions on this or any other forum. I am so fed up with the jack *** responses from loud mouthed know it all's, that this will be the last time I ever post a question on here. If you can't say something positive, then just keep your prejudicial opinions to yourself!
Old 10-27-2013, 9:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake Dr View Post
I have always found that people that feel the need to tell everyone how great they are; are usually all mouth and no substance. So if cscannoneer is so great, then he should come out to Laguna Seca and prove it; or shut the H___ up! Showing the quotes of what a jerk he is on his own posts, just tells me he is all show and no go; and his opinions are just a way to make himself feel good by putting other people down!

Thanks so much to the folks that were helpful on the subject.

I really don't know why there are so many jerks on every forum, that just get off on putting people down. As we were all taught; there are no stupid questions. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!. However, asking a question on this forum is just a way to get all the jerks to make you feel like an idiot. That is why I rarely post any questions on this or any other forum. I am so fed up with the jack *** responses from loud mouthed know it all's, that this will be the last time I ever post a question on here. If you can't say something positive, then just keep your prejudicial opinions to yourself!
He needs to prove how great he is by sighting in a rifle like people used to do before lasers were invented?
Old 10-27-2013, 9:34 PM

I will be at Laguna Seca tomorrow morning and would be happy to help you get sighted in.
Black Chevy pickup truck with aluminum work box in the bed. Digi cammo hat. Chronoing various loads. 10 AM

Last edited by sjb269; 10-27-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 4:06 PM

The Laguna Seca range is only open Thursdays through Sundays. So how can you go there tomorrow?
Old 10-28-2013, 7:53 PM

Laguna Seca Recreation Area
Rifle & Pistol Range

The Laguna Seca Rifle and Pistol Range offers a safe shooting environment with a well trained staff to assist you. Ammunition can be purchased and paper and reactive steel targets are available.

Hours of Operation

Year Round
Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

During the 2013 special events at Laguna Seca the Rifle & Pistol Range will be closed. Please note the following closure dates:

July 19 – 21

MotoGP
July 31 – August 3 Spirit West Coast
August 16 – 18 Rolex Reunion
September 5 – 8 Sports Car Festival
September 27 – 29 Super Bike
For more information
Old 10-30-2013, 8:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

I love using a laser to get a rough sight in at 25 yards in my backyard, then dial it in on paper at the range.

HINT - During the day use reflective tape on the center of your target... you'll see it on the brightest of days!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 11-18-2013, 9:52 PM

My cats think laser bore sighters are cool.