Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-29-2014, 3:59 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
earthquakes are my reason I prep. not to the extreme but to a point i'll be good for a bit. earthquakes are a fact of life here in California and to prepared for them is not crazy at all.
the last two presidential elections proved to me that this country is done.
I prep for what can be controlled and don't worry about what I can't .This country is circling the rim (thank you Obama) Earthquake is #1 here in Cali.

I'm dollar cost averaging into water,food,fuel and other essential items.What is scary is living in an area heavily populated with liberals who still believe the government will take care of them.We had a neighborhood (couple sq miles) association meeting where they wanted us to list our fuel, generators, chainsaws etc because they wanted to know what "their resources were" sorry I have a few close neighbors who will band together but all i have is lead for the leeches who think I'm going to provide what they are too stupid to provide for themselves.
sorry got carried away.

Last edited by thomashoward; 04-29-2014 at 5:37 PM..
Old 04-29-2014, 5:54 PM

It's the Russians.

Anyone up for a fallout shelter digging party. You bring the shovels, I'll bring the Beer and iodine.
Old 04-29-2014, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

What influences you SHTF prepping?

Crazyass political/religious extremists - and no, not just left wingers.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal326 View Post
It's the Russians.

Anyone up for a fallout shelter digging party. You bring the shovels, I'll bring the Beer and iodine.
I believe the plans are online somewhere from the Cold War days on building a shelter.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I prep for what can be controlled and don't worry about what I can't .
Fail!

Do you buy car ins, renter/home ins, maybe look before crossing the street? Skip paying taxes?
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhyn View Post
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― George Carlin
George stole that from: Mark Twain

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I live in SoCal---I've been thru three major EQs (plus smaller ones) and three major riots---those are what I mostly prepare for---plus when you're prepped for those, you already are prepped for most anything else…

The "End of the World" stuff is beyond my capabilities anyway...
Old 04-30-2014, 8:34 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
Fail!

Do you buy car ins, renter/home ins, maybe look before crossing the street? Skip paying taxes?
we're talking SHTF prep not day to day.
Earthquake/yes
Riot/insurrection/yes
Home invasion/yes
Nuclear attack/no
Russians/ no
zombies/maybe
Martians/no
we're ready, enough food,water and the means to protect it
we'll survive OK

Last edited by thomashoward; 05-03-2014 at 7:15 AM..
Old 04-30-2014, 9:09 PM

Sh%t can hit that fan at any moment, call it 3:33 this morning.

Prepped is prepared. Jeeeze you are slow.

"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
I prep for what can be controlled and don't worry about what I can't .This country is circling the rim (thank you Obama)
Well said
Old 05-13-2014, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Common sense.
Old 05-13-2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
We had a neighborhood (couple sq miles) association meeting where they wanted us to list our fuel, generators, chainsaws etc because they wanted to know what "their resources were"
If it wasn't your church or family -- that is eff'n scary.. that's the point where I'd say I was counting on you.

Old 05-14-2014, 5:19 PM

Because genetically im a pack rat
Old 05-14-2014, 6:24 PM

You guys are crazy if you think you are going to live through a nuclear winter, etc. However, living in CA, there are earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides and flooding that occur in some parts of the state every year. It makes sense to plan for these emergencies because they will eventually happen to you and your family. Good on you for preparing, but stop worrying so much about things you can't control, like Vlad Putin's global ambitions, and worry about the most likely danger.
Old 05-14-2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
If it wasn't your church or family -- that is eff'n scary.. that's the point where I'd say I was counting on you.
Not so much. After the '89 earthquake, when I finally made it home after taking 45 minutes to drive 3 miles, I was greeted with a neighborhood block party with cold beer and delicious barbecue because everyone was grilling all the meat in their freezers and upset the World Series was postponed. We grilled, drank suds and relied on each other. We brought plates of food to elderly residents and checked on everybody on the block. If it got worse, all of us had shotguns, at the minimum, and we would have set up a neighborhood watch on our block, if it came to that. As it was, the hated A's won the WS by juicing.

Getting to know your neighbors is not a bad thing. There is strength in numbers.
Old 05-15-2014, 1:20 AM

I got lots of extra water, many canned goods and alot of firearms/ammo. Me, wifey and the baby will survive.
Old 05-15-2014, 1:23 PM

Pat,

If neighbors think the problem is an excuse for a block party...

load another bowl.

Old 05-15-2014, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

DISASTERS THAT I HAVE LIVED THROUGH

MOROCCO
Agidir Earthquake – 29 Feb 1960, 6.7 Magnitude, 12,000 dead. I was born in January in the local hospital. The entire Maternity Ward was destroyed in the earthquake.

MASSACHUSETTS: Blizzard of 78, Feb 1978, 55 inches of snow in 33 hours, 56 dead.

CLARK AIR BASE, REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
Typhoon Ruby – Oct 1988, 145 mph winds, 689 dead.
Typhoon Skip – Nov 1988, 145 mph winds, 104 dead.
Super Typhoon Gordon – July 1989, 160 mph winds, 97 dead.
Super Typhoon Angela – Sept 1989, 150 mph winds, 62 dead.
Super Typhoon Flo – Sep 1990, 165 mph winds, 32 dead.
Super Typhoon Mike – Nov 1990, 185 mph winds, 876 dead.
Super Typhoon Page – Nov 1990, 160 mph winds, dead counted with Mike.
Baguio Earthquake – Jul 1990, 7.8 Magnitude, 1,600 dead.
Typhoon Yunya – Jun 1991, 105 mph winds, hit during the eruption of Mt Pinatubo.
Eruption of Mt Pinatubo – Jun 1991, 800 dead, mudslides caused by Typhoon Yunya drastically increased the death toll.

HOMESTEAD, FL
Hurricane Andrew – Aug 1992, 175 mph winds, 26 dead

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
Alfred Murrah Federal Building Bombing, 168 dead. I was 7 miles away when the explosion occurred. I had been recently certified as an Emergency Medical Technician. I responded to the scene, and assisted a friend who was a registered nurse who was setting up the triage area.

TOTAL BODY COUNT FROM ALL OF THESE: 16,510

Bad things can happen anywhere at any time.

I prep because they do happen.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 05-16-2014, 7:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The nature of man and how every weapon that has been invented to deter war has ended up being used in war on a massive scale.

Quote:
According to the Austrian countess Bertha von Suttner, Alfred Nobel, as early as their first meeting in Paris in 1876, had expressed his wish to produce material or a machine which would have such a devastating effect that war from then on, would be impossible. The point about deterrence later appeared among Nobel's ideas. In 1891, he commented on his dynamite factories by saying to the countess: "Perhaps my factories will put an end to war sooner than your congresses: on the day that two army corps can mutually annihilate each other in a second, all civilized nations will surely recoil with horror and disband their troops." Nobel did not live long enough to experience the First World War and to see how wrong his conception was.
http://www.nobelprize.org/alfred_nob...rticles/tagil/

Tim G.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 05-16-2014, 8:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
DISASTERS THAT I HAVE LIVED THROUGH

MOROCCO
Agidir Earthquake – 29 Feb 1960, 6.7 Magnitude, 12,000 dead. I was born in January in the local hospital. The entire Maternity Ward was destroyed in the earthquake.

MASSACHUSETTS: Blizzard of 78, Feb 1978, 55 inches of snow in 33 hours, 56 dead.

CLARK AIR BASE, REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
Typhoon Ruby – Oct 1988, 145 mph winds, 689 dead.
Typhoon Skip – Nov 1988, 145 mph winds, 104 dead.
Super Typhoon Gordon – July 1989, 160 mph winds, 97 dead.
Super Typhoon Angela – Sept 1989, 150 mph winds, 62 dead.
Super Typhoon Flo – Sep 1990, 165 mph winds, 32 dead.
Super Typhoon Mike – Nov 1990, 185 mph winds, 876 dead.
Super Typhoon Page – Nov 1990, 160 mph winds, dead counted with Mike.
Baguio Earthquake – Jul 1990, 7.8 Magnitude, 1,600 dead.
Typhoon Yunya – Jun 1991, 105 mph winds, hit during the eruption of Mt Pinatubo.
Eruption of Mt Pinatubo – Jun 1991, 800 dead, mudslides caused by Typhoon Yunya drastically increased the death toll.

HOMESTEAD, FL
Hurricane Andrew – Aug 1992, 175 mph winds, 26 dead

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
Alfred Murrah Federal Building Bombing, 168 dead. I was 7 miles away when the explosion occurred. I had been recently certified as an Emergency Medical Technician. I responded to the scene, and assisted a friend who was a registered nurse who was setting up the triage area.

TOTAL BODY COUNT FROM ALL OF THESE: 16,510

Bad things can happen anywhere at any time.

I prep because they do happen.
WOW! I'm seeing a trend here so I am glad I don't live near you. LOL

I was on a SMAGTF out of Okinawa that had just been to Bangladesh for tidal wave relief efforts when Pinatubo blew and we pulled in to aid in the relief efforts at Subic.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 05-16-2014 at 8:44 AM..
Old 06-02-2014, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino1974 View Post
Don't worry it's not too late to stock up on RUSSIAN MILITARY GRADE AMMO VACUUM SEALED IN MILITARY TINS. 500 rounds per sealed tin $240 LAST 10+ YEARS IN STORAGE!! BURY IT IN EARTH OR WATER UP TO YOU! Located in 626 areas PM ME FOR MORE INFO!
Stop spamming your over priced adds. Anyone can get this threw walmart for half your price.

Last edited by Cypriss32; 06-02-2014 at 3:21 PM..
Old 06-02-2014, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss32 View Post
Stop spamming your over priced adds. Anyone can get this threw walmart for half your price.
"overpriced" "spamming" "through"
Old 06-02-2014, 6:03 PM

My dad was a prepper, so we always had big bins of beans and rice and other supplies stacked in the garage. He was a bit on the paranoid side, and I tended to dismiss a lot of his ideas. Especially since so many of his predictions failed to pan out. So I always had a simple bug-out-bag for things like earthquakes, riots, etc. But I never got into heavy prepping until after 9/11. Why? Not because I predicted a war or some other direct effect from that event. But because it reminded me that completely strange, unforseen things, can come out of nowhere. The tsunami was another example. Also the Fukashima meltdown. A lot of these disasters really did come out of nowhere. One day, everything is great, then out of nowhere, disaster strikes. So could an asteroid hit the Earth? Yes. Could a pandemic suddenly wipe out half the world population? Yes. Could a nuke go off in the USA? Yes. Most people never thought something like 9/11 could happen, until it did. So no, I am not going to try to predict what disaster might strike. It might be any of a number of things, or something we never even considered. To me, there are two levels of disaster. Disaster the government can handle, and disaster where society collapses for a time. To me, the main goal is to be able to survive without assistance, for quite a few months. For smaller disasters, you simply do not have to rely on government aid, and risk running into rioters, etc. You can just lay low until order is restored. And if it's a bigger disaster of more epic proportions, you can lay low until everyone else dies off. At that point, there should be enough natural resources for the people who remain. So you don't need enough supplies for 5 years. Just enough to outlast the unprepared people.
Old 06-02-2014, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
"overpriced" "spamming" "through"
Calguns Grammar police.........

Old 06-03-2014, 4:31 AM

When I lived in coastal GA and SC my family "prepped" for hurricanes and major storms. I thought this was perfectly normal. I did the same when I lived on my own before moving here. I was an EMT and Hazmat Specalist for 5 years, I've been to several MCIs and lived through ice storms and hurricanes that killed people.
Out here the major threats are Earthquakes and riots.. so I tailor my emergency kits for that. Right now I work 10 miles from home and take a miles from home and take a motorcycle to and from work so if something bad happened I can always get home.

I need to put more water storage my budget... 10 days for 4 people ( my household) is 40 gallons and that leaves little to spare.