Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-01-2020, 8:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
What’s posted by Gavelams is copy n paste from OCSD email to all certified training provider. It’s legit.
Its not a change until its promulgated. They might be telling everyone who trains, but what about people, like me, who qualified with grandfathered mags? They need to tell ccw holders, not instructors, for an immediate change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 PM

I applied for CCW in Orange County and from date of submitting my application to day of notice of it being approved was exactly 120 days. not bad in my opinion..
background I moved to Orange County from Bay Area just to get my CCW. Literally put in my 2 weeks notice after landing a job down here. Worth it. I hope SCOTUS over turns an anti CCW case that will set these laws straight, back to honoring our RKBA, openly or concealed. For the sake of those whose lives and family commitments don't allow them to move out of no issue county, as I was fortunate enough to be able to do. Thank you OC Sheriff Don Barnes for respecting our RKBA.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 PM

Does anyone know if Orange County only starts working on your renewal ONLY after you pay them their $80?

It's been two months since they told me to take my class and I completed it. Crickets.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name View Post
Does anyone know if Orange County only starts working on your renewal ONLY after you pay them their $80?

It's been two months since they told me to take my class and I completed it. Crickets.

You pay after you have been approved. So yes, they work on it before you pay. Unless they have started taking online payments again. In that case I am not certain.
Old 02-04-2020, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Its not a change until its promulgated. They might be telling everyone who trains, but what about people, like me, who qualified with grandfathered mags? They need to tell ccw holders, not instructors, for an immediate change.

First of all, I hope you are right. For the sake of freedom, I hope carrying with grandfathering mag as well as mags purchased during freedom week are all fine. However, your argument here is merely that a) they could've contact everyone, and b) they could've update the posted policy.

Well, here's what I can see as a problem. Apparently, what's legal has nothing to do with what restriction OCSD wants to apply to permit issuance. Otherwise we wouldn't have the modification fiasco to begin with. Since trigger mod, barrel swap, slide cut/mill were all legal to modify, how are these restrictions binding (until removed) but not the high cap mag carry restriction? You can say it's on OCSD terms of license 8(m) that makes it binding, than I can also say that 8(n) is how OCSD can say the high cap mag restriction is now binding.

BTW, if you think this is new, it's not. According to other post you said Greg Block (who I consider is an anti-2A bottom feeder POS) didn't require or say anything about the grandfathered mags you used to qual at that time and that's your justification. If that's the case, you just confirmed that he does not follow OCSD guide-line as there were another similar e-mail being send by the now retired sergeant to all training providers back in 2018, where it listed what mods are/not allowed, and 10rd mag restriction is part of the e-mail.

So, until proven otherwise, how you felt about the high cap mag, grandfathered or not are just your opinion. I chuck this one to "carry at your own risk" since from my perspective OCSD certainly can screw you over if they found out and decided to do so. Being legal does not mean they can't revoke your permit. I sure hope one day CA goes shall issue so I do not need sheriff department to tell me what I can/cannot carry.

Last edited by CWM4A1; 02-04-2020 at 2:28 PM..
Old 02-04-2020, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Alright guys, looks like were getting conflicting information. From the OCSD website, we have this:

Quote:
The CCW license does not define magazine capacity, just the firearm model, serial number, and caliber. If the magazine and firearm are legal to possess in the State of California, and the firearm is approved to be listed on the license, a CCW permit holder may carry.

California firearms laws/regulations are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the owner/applicant to ensure the firearm and magazine are in compliance with California law at the time of carry.
Any violations or failure to adhere to state laws/regulations will result in immediate suspension and/or revocation of license.
So looks like 10+ are okay?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (21.3 KB, 58 views)

iTrader

Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 02-04-2020 at 6:03 PM..
Old 02-04-2020, 7:48 PM

Looks like Citadelgrad87 was right again.
Old 02-04-2020, 7:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Seems straight forward from the public notice posted on the website:
Quote:
FIREARM MODIFICATIONS:
-Modifications are allowed for approved CCW listed handguns so long as the gun and all parts/modifications are legal in the State of California.
-All firearms/modifications must be inspected at the time of training to ensure the weapon is in safe working order.
-If a modification(s) is done after the issuance of the license, you must apply for an Amendment and complete the training/inspection as if it were a newly listed weapon.
-The responsibility for the legality of firearm and its parts/accessories lies solely with the owner/applicant.
-Any violations or failure to adhere to state laws/regulations will result in immediate suspension and/or revocation of license.

MAGAZINE CAPACITY:
-The CCW license does not define magazine capacity, just the firearm model, serial number, and caliber. If the magazine and firearm are legal to possess in the State of California, and the firearm is approved to be listed on the license, a CCW permit holder may carry.
-California firearms laws/regulations are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the owner/applicant to ensure the firearm and magazine are in compliance with California law at the time of carry.
-Any violations or failure to adhere to state laws/regulations will result in immediate suspension and/or revocation of license.

CCW Licensing Unit
320 N. Flower Street 4th Floor
Santa Ana, CA 92703

Office Hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (with the exception of County holidays)
Old 02-05-2020, 8:45 AM

From my perspective, this is great news. I am happy to be wrong when things are moving toward the right direction.

Seems like there are level headed people handling the CCW unit at OCSD.

And Greg Block is wrong again, claiming OCSD will be inviting lawsuit to allow permit holder using standard cap mags.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:24 AM

So I don’t want to split hairs - but aren’t 11+ mags still ‘technically’ illegal, albeit enforcement of that law is suspended?

I am thrilled with all the changes, but would still like to see a more clear definition from the OCSD on this.

Lawfully carrying in 36 states
Clamper:64 & 1069 | Ham:Extra | Dirtbike:Fast
Old 02-05-2020, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
So I don’t want to split hairs - but aren’t 11+ mags still ‘technically’ illegal, albeit enforcement of that law is suspended?

I am thrilled with all the changes, but would still like to see a more clear definition from the OCSD on this.
They did state it. If it’s legal to possess and own, then you can use it in your carry weapon. Should an officer confiscate them due to nuisance is on the officer and not your IA.

OCSD won’t clarify further as this is a state matter with the courts at the moment.

iTrader
Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Just saw this. From one of the principals at Artemis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Defense Institute
So....you want to carry a Standard Capacity Magazine?

You may remember that last week I sent you all an email outlining the new OCSD policy regarding modifications of CCW firearms as well as the ability for spouses and domestic partners to carry each others guns.

Good stuff.

OCSD at the time adopted the additional policy that they would not allow legally acquired standard capacity magazines to be carried.

Well....that changed this morning.

OCSD has formally announced the following:

MAGAZINE CAPACITY:

The CCW license does not define magazine capacity, just the firearm model, serial number, and caliber. If the magazine and firearm are legal to possess in the State of California, and the firearm is approved to be listed on the license, a CCW permit holder may carry.
  • California firearms laws/regulations are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the owner/applicant to ensure the firearm and magazine are in compliance with California law at the time of carry.
  • Any violations or failure to adhere to state laws/regulations will result in immediate suspension and/or revocation of license.

So...if you have a legally acquired standard capacity magazine and you want to carry it....you are now good to go!

I don't want to minimize this! OCSD has taken an EXTREMELY freedom-oriented approach to what you can and cannot carry.

This is good stuff!!!!
Old 02-06-2020, 9:20 AM

I have a glock 34, but I’d like to carry it with a 17 slide. Is that possible, legality? If not it’s cool, I’ll carry a 34
Old 02-06-2020, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Now on the OCSD CCW home page under FIREARM MODIFICATIONS.

"If a modification(s) is done after the issuance of the license, you must complete the training/inspection as if it were a newly listed weapon. The training certificate will be added to your file."

My assumption from reading this is that after I modify the trigger in my G26, for example, I must have it inspected by a certified instructor and go through the shooting qualification portion of training again, and submit the new training completion cert. to OCSD.

Anything else?
Old 02-09-2020, 12:27 PM

Hey guys, so I'm going to be applying for my CCW soon and I think I have a pretty good chance due to my good cause (I am both IT and a medical technician for 5 medical practices so I constantly deliver equipment with patient info and medication to our clinics in my personal vehicle).

However, I noticed on the OCSD site that it says I need to provide proof of ownership or that the firearm is registered but I misplaced my copy of the DROS awhile back when I moved from Sacramento to here. Is there any other way I can provide proof for my firearm? Asking my FFL is out of the question because he moved from Sacramento to Utah and said he had to turn in all his records to the DOJ.

Also, another question, anybody have a rough estimate of when they do the residency check at your house? I live with my dad due to his cancer treatments so I'd like to be able to give him a heads-up so he isn't caught off guard or freak out.

Last edited by TranLeland; 02-09-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Old 02-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranLeland View Post
Hey guys, so I'm going to be applying for my CCW soon and I think I have a pretty good chance due to my good cause (I am both IT and a medical technician for 5 medical practices so I constantly deliver equipment with patient info and medication to our clinics in my personal vehicle).

However, I noticed on the OCSD site that it says I need to provide proof of ownership or that the firearm is registered but I misplaced my copy of the DROS awhile back when I moved from Sacramento to here. Is there any other way I can provide proof for my firearm? Asking my FFL is out of the question because he moved from Sacramento to Utah and said he had to turn in all his records to the DOJ.

Also, another question, anybody have a rough estimate of when they do the residency check at your house? I live with my dad due to his cancer treatments so I'd like to be able to give him a heads-up so he isn't caught off guard or freak out.
You don’t need any DROS paperwork. As long as the gun is registered under your name (or legal spouse), you’re good to go.

They haven’t done residency checks but ask the deputy about you situation when you go interview.

iTrader
Old 02-09-2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
You don’t need any DROS paperwork. As long as the gun is registered under your name (or legal spouse), you’re good to go.

They haven’t done residency checks but ask the deputy about you situation when you go interview.
Oh wow, that's great to hear! I was freaking out as having a CCW has always been a milestone and I thought my misplacing of my DROS would be my roadblock haha.

They haven't done residency checks? Have they stopped doing that? But nevertheless, I'll definitely ask during the interview, thank you!
Old 02-11-2020, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranLeland View Post
Oh wow, that's great to hear! I was freaking out as having a CCW has always been a milestone and I thought my misplacing of my DROS would be my roadblock haha.

They haven't done residency checks? Have they stopped doing that? But nevertheless, I'll definitely ask during the interview, thank you!

When I first applied 4 years ago they were still doing residency checks in person, but they stopped that a while back. As of my renewal class in 2018, they haven't changed.
Old 02-11-2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Just saw this. From one of the principals at Artemis.
So glad we voted in Barnes!
Old 02-11-2020, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
So glad we voted in Barnes!
Compared to the other choices (anti-ccw), he was the man from the job, even from his undersheriff days.

iTrader
Old 02-17-2020, 10:33 AM

Can anyone give specifics on the shooting qualification test?

From what I hear it’s 24 rounds with primary handguns at 3, 5 and 7 yards (total 72 rounds) on a B-27 silhouette. For additional handguns it’s 10 rounds at 5 and 7 yards.

What zones do the shots have to be in and the percentage of shots in?

Is there a certain timeframe for each distance to get the 24 rounds in?

Do you draw from a holster?

Magazine changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 4:49 PM

I’m for my class, the bullet had to be touching the silhouette. Didn’t have to be completely in the target silhouette. That was considered a hit. I believe you have to have 70% hits? I can’t remember exactly but it was a pretty low bar. I trained with Artemis Defense.

Old 02-17-2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
I’m for my class, the bullet had to be touching the silhouette. Didn’t have to be completely in the target silhouette. That was considered a hit. I believe you have to have 70% hits? I can’t remember exactly but it was a pretty low bar. I trained with Artemis Defense.

How is Artemis Defense?
Did you take a regular, semi private or private class?
I want for my wife and I take class together after she gets more time behind her new Sig.
Old 02-17-2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btazhunter View Post
How is Artemis Defense?
Did you take a regular, semi private or private class?
I want for my wife and I take class together after she gets more time behind her new Sig.

I love Artemis. It’s a fantastic training facility. The biggest advantage to training with them is that they are attorneys. They can answer a lot of the questions you couldn’t normally ask a firearms instructor. I took the regular class and it was very good. Attend their Pre-CCW and take advantage of the discount they offer for the classes. It will save you at least $20 per head.

Old 02-17-2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
I love Artemis. It’s a fantastic training facility. The biggest advantage to training with them is that they are attorneys. They can answer a lot of the questions you couldn’t normally ask a firearms instructor. I took the regular class and it was very good. Attend their Pre-CCW and take advantage of the discount they offer for the classes. It will save you at least $20 per head.

Thank You for answering my Questions!!
I just started to think of them for all CCW needs plus I live RSM area..
Old 02-18-2020, 12:17 PM

Greg Block doesn't seem to think very highly of Artemis Defense Institute.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg greg.block.artemis.jpg (94.6 KB, 1771 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
Greg Block doesn't seem to think very highly of Artemis Defense Institute.

I don’t read it that way. Seems in this instance he’s ragging on Stephen L. as an SME, not the training. I don’t know Mr. Block but seems to come off as a bit self-important and will be happy to provide expert witness against defendants.

BTW: Mr. Lieberman‘s firm specializes in firearms law defense and is contracted with by USCCA. Just saying.
Old 02-18-2020, 2:07 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASonBASS View Post
I don’t read it that way. Seems in this instance he’s ragging on Stephen L. as an SME, not the training. I don’t know Mr. Block but seems to come off as a bit self-important and will be happy to provide expert witness against defendants.

BTW: Mr. Lieberman‘s firm specializes in firearms law defense and is contracted with by USCCA. Just saying.
This is the same guy who used to run the CalCCW Web forums and would insta-ban anyone who mentioned CalGuns.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 02-20-2020, 11:07 AM

Have the "good cause" reasons/docs become more stringent? I already renewed once, but this one is asking for a lot more.
Mrrebates referral link.
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1074710
Ebay 1%, Academy Sports + Outdoors 4%, Staples 2%
Swagbucks link. You earn $5 with link. Cabelas is 2% right now.
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=33495762
Old 02-20-2020, 11:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshishi View Post
Have the "good cause" reasons/docs become more stringent? I already renewed once, but this one is asking for a lot more.
Not more good cause, just support for the claimed good cause. I havent seen anyone post that they were asked for anything that wasnt readily available if their good cause was accurate.

They asked my dad for his dd214, they asked me for my bar card, another calgunner was asked for photos of his outings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 02-20-2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Not more good cause, just support for the claimed good cause. I havent seen anyone post that they were asked for anything that wasnt readily available if their good cause was accurate.

They asked my dad for his dd214, they asked me for my bar card, another calgunner was asked for photos of his outings.
Got it. I put the same things down and this time around they are asking for much more supporting documents.
Mrrebates referral link.
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1074710
Ebay 1%, Academy Sports + Outdoors 4%, Staples 2%
Swagbucks link. You earn $5 with link. Cabelas is 2% right now.
http://www.swagbucks.com/p/register?rb=33495762
Old 02-22-2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
This is the same guy who used to run the CalCCW Web forums and would insta-ban anyone who mentioned CalGuns.
He also runs CALCCW on FB. I requested to join, was accepted and then removed about an hour later. I sent a message to every admin from the page asking why I was removed and the only person that messaged back was a Julie Schupak. She said I was removed most likely because my FB name is not a real name; It's Instructor name. So a sense of "advertising". So I wrote back to her that Greg Block has a picture of his company logo as his picture and is that not also a sense of "advertising"? She said that he’s the founding member. Seriously lady?! What a bunch of hypocrites.

Last edited by dv82; 02-23-2020 at 6:50 AM..
Old 02-24-2020, 5:16 AM

As a new resident to OC I did the change of address for my drivers license online and have a confirmation. I have everything for proof of residency, lease, voter registration, utility bills. Will the dmv confirmation suffice or do I need to go to the dreadful dmv and get a new one?
Old 02-25-2020, 3:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 love View Post
As a new resident to OC I did the change of address for my drivers license online and have a confirmation. I have everything for proof of residency, lease, voter registration, utility bills. Will the dmv confirmation suffice or do I need to go to the dreadful dmv and get a new one?
Why would you not go to the DMV and do it correctly and get your new address on your DL? I know it's a hassle, however, why do it half-a**? Do it correctly and the point becomes moot!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 02-28-2020, 9:44 PM

LTC Amendment Processing Times

2/23: Add-A-Gun Qualifying Completed
2/23: Uploaded Certification Documents To Permitium
2/23: Electronic Signature Captured On Permitium
2/23: Payment Processed ($11.62) On Permitium
2/23: Tracker—ORDER STARTED
2/23: Tracker—PAYMENT RECEIVED
2/23: Tracker—ASSIGNING TO PROCESSOR SHORTLY
2/23: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
2/24: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
2/25: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
2/26: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
2/27: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
2/28: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
2/29: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
3/01: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
3/02: Tracker—STATUS PENDING
3/03: Tracker—APPROVED FOR PICKUP

9 day turnaround.

I called this morning and was quoted “3 to 4 more weeks”. Got an email 30 minutes after calling saying that it was ready for pickup. wtf

Last edited by WingDings; 03-03-2020 at 3:22 PM..
Old 03-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Default Orange

In case anyone wants to know: the shooting qualification test was 24 rounds with primary weapon at 3, 5 and 7 yards on a B-29 target (smaller than the B-27). 70% in the 8 ring. Each additional weapon is 10 rounds at 5 and 7.

Old 03-10-2020, 4:44 PM

Default Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBen View Post
In case anyone wants to know: the shooting qualification test was 24 rounds with primary weapon at 3, 5 and 7 yards on a B-29 target (smaller than the B-27). 70% in the 8 ring. Each additional weapon is 10 rounds at 5 and 7.

That's pretty different from my qualification I had about a week ago. We had to put about 80 rounds anywhere on a silhouette with our main gun and 20 from each additional gun. It was a large silhouette and as long as they touched the edge they counted (even the head). This was with SoCals Elite CCW training with Ben Hansen.
Old 03-10-2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmatthew View Post
That's pretty different from my qualification I had about a week ago. We had to put about 80 rounds anywhere on a silhouette with our main gun and 20 from each additional gun. It was a large silhouette and as long as they touched the edge they counted (even the head). This was with SoCals Elite CCW training with Ben Hansen.

Sounds like a B-27 silhouette (which is much larger). That’s what I practicing with but was given a B-29 at time of testing.

Old 03-10-2020, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBen View Post

Man, that grouping looks like you were standing at 100 yds away.

I kid...I kid...thanks for the info
Old 03-15-2020, 11:51 AM

Just got an email from the ccw unit.

"As part of the department’s ongoing COVID-19 prevention efforts, the CCW Licensing Unit will temporarily suspend in person interviews. Although your appointment has been cancelled, you may be contacted at your scheduled date/time; for a phone interview at the number listed on your application."

I wonder if they will still issue without an in-person interview?