Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 AM
In Memoriam

Default Wife and I went back to the Vault and...

Every face was new and I thought, Uh oh, maybe the place was sold.

Guy that helped my wife was as fantastic as the last guy.

Seems the owners and main staff were out on Thanksgiving vacations. The "second team" were great.

As many of you have experienced. when it comes to guns and auto repair many men are idjits who treat women condescendingly. Nothing worse than being excited to make a purchase and having the experience tarnished by a jerk salesman.
Old 12-01-2018, 9:38 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
……..As many of you have experienced. when it comes to guns and auto repair many men are idjits who treat women condescendingly. Nothing worse than being excited to make a purchase and having the experience tarnished by a jerk salesman.
amen to that!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 12-05-2018, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post

As many of you have experienced. when it comes to guns and auto repair many men are idjits who treat women condescendingly. Nothing worse than being excited to make a purchase and having the experience tarnished by a jerk salesman.

Well, there is worse......sometimes much worse.

I got to see a potentially tragic example at one of our monthly San Jose newbies range events.

A woman who might be described as a 'delicate and refined lady' came for basic instruction, and brought the pistol she had quite recently purchased.

She appeared to be in her late 50's. maybe early 60's, was of relatively short stature, and of 'delicate build', with small hands and wrists.

The story she told was one of her formerly 'respectable' neighbourhood becoming increasingly a 'crime area', so, although she was totally unfamiliar with guns, she decided to purchase one for 'home defense'.

The gun store clerk insisted........politely, but insistently......that a 9MM Glock was the best possible choice, really the only practical choice, for her needs.

She bought one, and a box of a standard loading of 9MM rounds, white box Winchester.

After going through our basic safety instruction, she was taken to the line, with one of our volunteer instructors. She practiced loading the weapon, then fired it.........and it malfunctioned. The instructor examined the Glock, then cycled it, and she fired again. It malfunctioned again.

The instructor tried firing it, and it worked perfectly for him. He called me to the line, to examine the pistol. It worked perfectly for me, as well.

I asked the Glock's owner to fire it again, and watched her closely. The problem was obvious, she simply did not have the hand and wrist strength to keep from 'limp-wristing' the pistol, no matter how carefully she tried.

She said 'what i really wanted was a revolver, a 'snub-nose Colt detective gun', as she put it, but the store clerk was so very insistent about the Glock, and, after all, he would know much more about guns than I did, so I followed his advice.'

So.......at least, she found out at the range, rather than in a self-defense situation, that she had only one shot.

What do you think.....should that gun store clerk have just sold her the revolver she wanted?

cheers

Carla
Old 12-05-2018, 5:02 PM
Why Change the Default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphodel View Post
Well, there is worse......sometimes much worse.

What do you think.....should that gun store clerk have just sold her the revolver she wanted?

cheers

Carla
Someone should have suggested that she go some place she could rent a few choices to see what might work best.

I for one, can barely get my index finger over the trigger of Gen3 and earlier Glocks. They are a poor choice for me, which is seen upon first grip.

As with most things, one should try before buying...

Kate
Old 12-05-2018, 8:53 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:

cheers

Carla
He should have sold her the revolver. Unless it was too big for her to grip or the only one they had was a 44 Mag.

As an ex gun counter guy. I have run into that kinda stuff.

Last edited by cannon; 12-05-2018 at 9:04 PM..
Old 12-08-2018, 6:03 PM

"Limp wristing" is definitely a problem for smaller stature, older and inexperienced shooters alike. I have also seen on more than one occasion older females and males have difficulty racking the slide on semi-autos. I would have recommended going and shooting, handling, manipulating and reloading some different guns before settling on one or the other. I believe she would have been better off with a smallish revolver loaded with nothing hotter than .38 SPCL +P.

My .02

Canman

Last edited by canman; 12-08-2018 at 6:05 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:

Well, yes, ultimately, he should have let her buy whatever gun she wanted.

Now.....what I really think is that she should have been encouraged to rent and try different types of guns to see which ones truly met her needs. A Glock 9mm is usually a great all-around choice/guess for a brand new shooter. In this case, it wasn't right for this customer. However, a customer with no knowledge or experience, may also be asking the clerk for an ill-suited weapon because they don't know what they need either.

A lot of people think that snub-nose revolvers are great for women because they're "small" and because a revolver is point, pull and shoot. Though, the trigger pulls on some revolvers might be too great for a lady with a 'delicate build', as you put it. If she's even able to crank back that DA trigger pull, will she even be accurate with it? Also, some revolvers put a nasty kick into the shooter's palm. So, after buying and shooting one, she might not appreciate the Colt detective snub-nose either.

So, again, the answer to all of these questions is to try, try and try before you buy. If you have a customer who wants to buy blindly, let her buy what she wants anyway.

Carla, hopefully you and your team will be able to help let her try out a few other options to see what's right for her. The weight of a non-polymer gun may help keep some of the kick down. A revolver in a lighter-load may help. Or more training on the weapon she already owns may be in order. One visit to the range doesn't usually immediately solve limp-wristing for a brand new shooter - especially one who has weaker hands.

Thank you trying to help guide her through!
Old 12-11-2018, 6:41 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

I would add that the first gun does NOT have to be the one and only forever gun. starting with a .22 and working up to .38 is also ok. better a .22 that will get practice and used than a .38 that sits in the box. as one becomes experienced I think it is natural to want to branch out and try other calibers.....and that is also why it is so very important to rent and try out other handguns at a range.

sometimes changing the grips on a revolver make all the difference re a small hand a trigger pull...not to mention recoil into the hand.

there are so many variables.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D