Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-23-2017, 9:05 PM
Veteran Member

As a general rule.
If you work for yourself, you can use work as a good cause.

If you work for small owner operated business and they agree to let you carry you might use it, but I wouldn't, unless they have asked you to be armed and are willing to put that in writing.

if you work for a company in most cases don't use your employer in any way. A quick way to know the answer without asking, look at the employee handbook. Most will outright ban weapons. Some will ban weapons on company property which includes the parking lot, locked in your car.

If you do go ask your boss, and he asks HR who may ask legal,expect a no because they don't want to risk liability. Also note if you have any problems HR, expect a strong multi person response because they may now be worried about workplace violence.

None of this is absolute, but it's worth thinking about.
Old 07-24-2017, 7:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkevin View Post
If I work for a rideshare program (Uber, Lyft, Grubhub, Postmates....) should I list that as part of my GC?
Quote:
What about the postmates delivery aspect? From simple searching it doesn't seem to be a taxi service, and there's no firearms clause in their agreements.
Perhaps I'm not understanding your status. Your statements seem to indicate that you don't (and haven't) work(ed) for any of these enterprises.

If not, it's important to remember:

You sign your application under penalty of perjury.
You will have to provide proof of your employment statements.
They will investigate your input. (They are cops.)
If your application is deemed to contain willful mis-statements, you will be denied.
That denial will follow you to other CCW application efforts.
Other sanctions may be applied.

Hopefully, I have mis-understood you.
Old 07-24-2017, 9:47 AM

Quote:
What about the postmates delivery aspect? From simple searching it doesn't seem to be a taxi service, and there's no firearms clause in their agreements. Thanks for the quick reply!
Sorry, don't know anything about 'postmates'.
Uber in particular is very clear about firearms.

The problem with tying a CCW permit to work-related reasons is OCSD will ask for the employers mandate for such. In most cases I think that is next to impossible to obtain, or most sure don't want to go that route.

That said, if your employer wants you to carry on the job they'll write a letter for you stating such - case closed!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line View Post
My CCW appointment is coming up May 19th. I have all of my documentation and paperwork, my good cause statement is that I was involved in a very serious self defense case with the threat of retaliation. My statement will be much more fleshed out than that, I have the police reports and photographs.

I wanted to ask a few questions, can you guys offer any tips on demeanor/dress code/information disclosure for my initial appointment?

Do you think the OCSD CCW unit discriminates against the younger crowd?
How did your appointment go? Are you still in the process?

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.