Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-28-2019, 5:28 PM

Default My new Trinity workbench from Costco- what should i put on the wall behind it?

so i don't have a garage anymore, and can only dream about having an entire room for my workshop or hobbies, but i ran into this workbench on sale (warehouse only) at costco for $499 last month and really wanted it (even though i didn't really have a place to put it).
i went home, found the online costco price was $699 and immediately went with a buddy (with a truck) and bought it. this thing is heavy!

sat in my entry way for a few weeks, while i figured out where to put it.
gave away a massage chair my wife hardly used that was in my office/den and made room in the corner for it.

now i was looking it up to share a link and it is $849 online at costco, and $1000 on ebay.

https://www.costco.com/Trinity-66%22...100491860.html

so now i need your help with the wall behind it. what are you guys using? i don't really need more tool storage, but i want it to look good and maybe have options for hooks or shelves.

Last edited by theLBC; 08-28-2019 at 5:31 PM..
Old 08-28-2019, 6:51 PM

Check out https://www.holdupdisplays.com
Old 08-28-2019, 7:24 PM

Get some peg board, frame the back with 1x2 lumber and screw it to the wall.
Then get some hooks for your tools and cleaning rods.
Old 08-28-2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
thanks
Old 08-28-2019, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Playboy centerfolds, what else?
Old 08-28-2019, 7:50 PM

SS backsplash so items don't roll off the back?
Old 08-28-2019, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Two options...

https://www.gallowtech.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kot_MTp0A1E

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-28-2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
SS backsplash so items don't roll off the back?
i was thinking about that.
i think i am going with some kind of slatwall, and since that sticks out from the wall a little, i can slide the bench under it so nothing can slip behind it.

the hard part is that there are so many "slatwall" options, and unfortunately most of them come in 48" lengths and i need 72" (no room for 8' and the bench is about 72" long including the handles).

might go with something like this, thanks to starslinger's suggestion.

https://smile.amazon.com/NewAge-Prod...43P6GZR5QQF1QY
Old 08-28-2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
those are pretty cool. i wish i had a whole room but i don't even have that many guns since the boating accident.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
so i don't have a garage anymore, and can only dream about having an entire room for my workshop or hobbies, but i ran into this workbench on sale (warehouse only) at costco for $499 last month and really wanted it (even though i didn't really have a place to put it).
i went home, found the online costco price was $699 and immediately went with a buddy (with a truck) and bought it. this thing is heavy!

sat in my entry way for a few weeks, while i figured out where to put it.
gave away a massage chair my wife hardly used that was in my office/den and made room in the corner for it.

now i was looking it up to share a link and it is $849 online at costco, and $1000 on ebay.

https://www.costco.com/Trinity-66%22...100491860.html

so now i need your help with the wall behind it. what are you guys using? i don't really need more tool storage, but i want it to look good and maybe have options for hooks or shelves.
i'm so jealous... you got a steal!

1A-2A = -1A
Old 08-29-2019, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Playboy centerfolds, what else?
Yes, some tig Ďol bitties are an optimal display to fill that space.

Thomas Paine

Old 08-29-2019, 2:38 PM

I wish the warehouse had this one in stock, for a couple hundred cheaper.

Perfect for reloading and working on gun stuff.

https://www.costco.com/Whalen-60%26q...100405161.html
Old 08-29-2019, 2:40 PM

Very nice. If only I had more room for "stuff".
Old 08-29-2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
I wish the warehouse had this one in stock, for a couple hundred cheaper.

Perfect for reloading and working on gun stuff.

https://www.costco.com/Whalen-60%26q...100405161.html
those look cool. i am pretty sure i have seen a smaller Whalen cart at the warehouse for $150

i'll keep an eye out cause you never know, and every costco doesn't stock the exact same products.

Last edited by theLBC; 08-29-2019 at 3:21 PM..
Old 09-17-2019, 8:26 AM

just to update, i put up some slatwall behind the workbench to get organized.
thanks for the suggestions!

i just put stuff up there to see how it looks. not sure how it will be configured in the end, but it looks ok to me.

Old 09-17-2019, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

I have the same bench, except my bottom 2 draws don’t extend all the way to the end. I’ve been thinking about mounting my wise to the top, but I hate to drill big bolts into it��
Old 09-17-2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
I have the same bench, except my bottom 2 draws donít extend all the way to the end. Iíve been thinking about mounting my wise to the top, but I hate to drill big bolts into it��
I have the same issue and ended up not mounting my vise to the surface. Mine is so heavy that it sits solidly enough that I have no problems working with it.
Old 09-17-2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
I have the same bench, except my bottom 2 draws don’t extend all the way to the end. I’ve been thinking about mounting my wise to the top, but I hate to drill big bolts into it��
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
I have the same issue and ended up not mounting my vise to the surface. Mine is so heavy that it sits solidly enough that I have no problems working with it.
hahaha, i am just getting to that part, and i haven't decided what to do yet
i don't need a vice very often (i have that gun vice) so i can probably get by with a small clamp on.
i still have access to a machine shop if i want to take a drive.

Last edited by theLBC; 09-17-2019 at 6:56 PM..
Old 09-17-2019, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post

Shoot, mine is not heavy enough at all to be used with its own weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2019, 8:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, I'm late to the party.

My vote on the back wall (I know, too late) is nothing. Reason being, EVENTUALLY one day you will have a need to have something there, and now you have to remove what's there just to put on something that is new.

I ALWAYS advocate "underfurnishing", because as you use a space the needs you have for your purposes will reveal themselves.

As for now, leave it as is, don't touch a thing. Over the next 2 years your workspace will self-evolve. That's the way to do it!

---------------------

Every time you are at home depot, check the fasters bins for brass insert nuts in 3/8, 5/16, or 1/2 inch. Pick a size. Every time you go, clean them out (or just buy a couple) until you are sitting on about 12 of them. Buy a box of ~2" stainless steel allen wrench bolts with lock washers and two flat washers (regular and fender)

When you want to do something like "clamp" a vise, reloading press, barrel vise, gun stand, etc etc etc etc on your bench, just bolt it down. Set it where you want, mark it, then drill holes and put in the insert nuts. Now you can install and remove "stuff" on your bench via super strong machine screw and you only leave an insert nut hole slightly below the surface.

Just my suggestion.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh, forgot. IF you get into reloading (any kind besides semi-auto pistol reloading), put a shelf back there (removable or not) big enough to hold a chargemaster. You don't want that thing on the same bench as your press.

Edit (forgot again): that wire basket, lower left in the pic. Buy one more. And one small akron bin to go next to that. gun chemicals, locktite, graphite, cold blue, rust blue, cleaners, these things always seem to multiply like rabbits, and good chemical storage is hard.

---------------

Last suggestion: DO NOT let anything not-gun-related clog up the area. If you have to consolidate gun stuff from another area there (ammo? small locked cases? etc?) so be it, but never let non-gun-stuff "contaminate" your new safe-space for guns

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-18-2019 at 8:31 AM..
Old 09-18-2019, 9:08 AM

Cut the Girl / Gun of the month picture out of the Blue Press magazine and make a big picture.

Solves the problem of Beautiful Girls n Guns
Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Well, I'm late to the party.

My vote on the back wall (I know, too late) is nothing. Reason being, EVENTUALLY one day you will have a need to have something there, and now you have to remove what's there just to put on something that is new.

I ALWAYS advocate "underfurnishing", because as you use a space the needs you have for your purposes will reveal themselves.

As for now, leave it as is, don't touch a thing. Over the next 2 years your workspace will self-evolve. That's the way to do it!

---------------------

Every time you are at home depot, check the fasters bins for brass insert nuts in 3/8, 5/16, or 1/2 inch. Pick a size. Every time you go, clean them out (or just buy a couple) until you are sitting on about 12 of them. Buy a box of ~2" stainless steel allen wrench bolts with lock washers and two flat washers (regular and fender)

When you want to do something like "clamp" a vise, reloading press, barrel vise, gun stand, etc etc etc etc on your bench, just bolt it down. Set it where you want, mark it, then drill holes and put in the insert nuts. Now you can install and remove "stuff" on your bench via super strong machine screw and you only leave an insert nut hole slightly below the surface.

Just my suggestion.

another option for the vice (if you have room for storage) is to mount it on a board and put some non-slip material on the bottom. if needed you can clamp the board to the bench (without holes).
Old 09-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Shooter View Post
Cut the Girl / Gun of the month picture out of the Blue Press magazine and make a big picture.

Solves the problem of Beautiful Girls n Guns
lol, i definitely need some kind of poster for above it, but not sure if the wife is going to be ok with chick pics.
Old 09-18-2019, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post

another option for the vice (if you have room for storage) is to mount it on a board and put some non-slip material on the bottom. if needed you can clamp the board to the bench (without holes).
I don't like this.

I keep a kennedy tool box next to my bench (IMO the best tool boxes money can buy (I just can't swing Gerstner prices), and appreciate the thinner drawers. I keep my presses in the bottom drawer. A mount-board would not fit, so that is not a workable solution for me.

I have also learned I don't like C-clamping stuff to my bench, the clamp gets in the way.

looking at YOUR bench, I think you can't clamp anything either But if you can make that work, more power to you, those medium depth drawers on the left side of the tool box are as deep as the deepest drawers in my entire shop, and would suit the purpose. Could fit two presses in one of those drawers.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I don't like this.

I keep a kennedy tool box next to my bench (IMO the best tool boxes money can buy (I just can't swing Gerstner prices), and appreciate the thinner drawers. I keep my presses in the bottom drawer. A mount-board would not fit, so that is not a workable solution for me.

I have also learned I don't like C-clamping stuff to my bench, the clamp gets in the way.

looking at YOUR bench, I think you can't clamp anything either But if you can make that work, more power to you, those medium depth drawers on the left side of the tool box are as deep as the deepest drawers in my entire shop, and would suit the purpose. Could fit two presses in one of those drawers.
you can only clamp something on the left front corner (without obstructing a drawer or door). i have clamped a light there.
it wouldn't be suitable for any heavy work, but it would be okay for a small vice used just to keep your hands free (not for removing a stubborn muzzle brake).
i wasn't really thinking about reloading unless i can start shooting more outdoors.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Couple more ideas to maybe consider then:

1. 10-4 on the reloading thing, but you never know... you already suggested stubborn muzzle brake, so that's a nice (or homemade) barrel vise right there, strongly mounted as you say...

(by the way I made my own barrel vise out of scrap aluminum from a metals shop and two 1/2-13 screws, and could be made entirely using a cheap floorstanding drillpress or a nice benchtop one)

2. riser keeps a press or vise or whatever off the surface of the bench, I also made my own with a stick welder, nice "farm quality" weld project for those who suck at welding (me).

3. if you shoot alot indoors, there's always a progressive for pistol reloading. I actually do all my reloading these days, precision included, on a lee loadmaster, and besides being inexpensive produces alot of ammo really quickly, and can keep your pistols fed quite nicely even if you only ever shoot indoors...Also enables you to pick up oddball cartridges like 5.7x28, or 45 auto rim, or whatever and not be so impacted by prop 63...

I know you'll ultimately make the space one that works for you, but I find that harping on some of these ideas repeatedly but from different angles can really get the imagination rolling, and help enable creative solutions that make the sport that much more fun.

(I know people like Dillon even for bulk pistol reloading, but I can outfit a lee loadmaster on a press riser, with case feeder and bullet feeder and have a touch-less reloader that cranks out tons of ammo very quickly for less than $400... if you save 5 cents a pistol round by loading it yourself the equipment has paid for itself in 8000 rounds, and even faster if you save more-per-round...)
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 PM

A nice video wall..... here's one!

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1554656

Sorry... shameful plug.

Seriously though, nice score on the workbench. Great price.
Old 09-20-2019, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

I just stumbled across this thread...Nice work LBC, you got a great deal on this..I'm jelly!
Old 09-20-2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFeetZ View Post
A nice video wall..... here's one!

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1554656

Sorry... shameful plug.

Seriously though, nice score on the workbench. Great price.
that 2x2 display is pretty cool though.
Old 09-21-2019, 5:06 PM

Last night, I saw the same workbench at the Costco in Northridge for $599. I'm kind of happy I don't have room for it...