Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 07-04-2019, 9:32 AM

Default New Benjamin Break Barrel won't charge/cock... Need help!

Hi all,

I purchased my first air rifle during a 4th of July sale at Big5... a Benjamin Regal NP (Nitro Express). It seems like a really nice air gun! However, I realized as soon as I brought it home that it wouldn't charge/cock.

When I open the break barrel, the barrel folds all the way under the gun without any resistance. It seems that something on the arm isn't latching to the piston to make it travel back. The arm simply glides/scrapes over the piston. I also thought it may already be charged, and that something on the trigger was not actuating the sear. I inspected that by taking the trigger out of the trigger assembly housing, and pressing the sear down with a screwdriver (a manual fire)... nothing happened. I don't think it's precharged, but rather the arm isn't latching onto something on the piston.

Also, when I took the receiver out of the stock to inspect, a small black plastic "U" shaped piece fell out of somewhere. I have no idea what it is or where it goes. Can anyone identify this piece (pic below)?

Any ideas on what the fix is? I could just take it back, but I was so excited to find this thing on sale and it seems like a really nice air rifle otherwise.

I compiled a video to demonstrate what I'm experiencing:

Pics:

Last edited by Fear58; 07-04-2019 at 9:35 AM..
Old 07-04-2019, 4:43 PM

Take it back and exchange it.
Old 07-04-2019, 5:51 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

That's a guide for the cocking arm.
There should be a spot in the body to hold it.
Probably why the arm is not cocking the piston, it's not lined up because the guide is out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 07-05-2019, 9:27 AM

I decided to return it for another. Lesson learned (break the barrel in the store). Thanks all!
Old 07-14-2019, 6:06 AM

Don't break the barrel in the store, you shouldn't dry fire it and there probably isn't a safe place to shoot it in the store.

These things happen, quality control doesn't always catch anything.

If I bought something brand new and it didn't work out of the box it would go straight back, I wouldn't start with taking it apart. That's just me though.