Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 5:00 PM

Default Heads up - Grizwold bathroom area closed to shooting

Title basically states it.

I was there this weekend and the bathroom area that you first come up on is closed to shooting entirely.

While it is posted, it isn't clear as the sign on the maps there say "150 yards from buildings".

I got to talk with two BLM guys that came out. Very friendly guys. Checked the AR for a bullet button.

Basically, a select few screwed it up for the rest of it leaving shot up targets, e-waste(TVs), and similar crap They also stated people were shooting at the cattle WTF??? People were also shooting up the signs... I saw two fresh holes in the plexi-glass covered maps.

They pointed me up further toward Idira for shooting but the first place they pointed me toward was not my idea of safe.
Old 05-27-2013, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC-J View Post
Title basically states it.

I was there this weekend and the bathroom area that you first come up on is closed to shooting entirely.

While it is posted, it isn't clear as the sign on the maps there say "150 yards from buildings".

I got to talk with two BLM guys that came out. Very friendly guys. Checked the AR for a bullet button.

Basically, a select few screwed it up for the rest of it leaving shot up targets, e-waste(TVs), and similar crap They also stated people were shooting at the cattle WTF??? People were also shooting up the signs... I saw two fresh holes in the plexi-glass covered maps.

They pointed me up further toward Idira for shooting but the first place they pointed me toward was not my idea of safe.
Those signs have been up for more than a year and just mean that you can't shoot in the parking lot. The area is still open to shooting - the BLM would need to go through an EIS or emergency closure process to shut the area.
Old 05-28-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub View Post
Those signs have been up for more than a year and just mean that you can't shoot in the parking lot. The area is still open to shooting - the BLM would need to go through an EIS or emergency closure process to shut the area.
There are new no shooting signs in the parking lot area (like in the past 6 weeks). One is posted right at the entrance off the road.

I did my usual cross the creek to the open area. About 30-40 mins into shooting, the two BLM guys came out.

They told me that the bathroom area is closed entirely even across the creek. There was no "open to interpretation" to their advisement.

They were friendly in their "get the hell out of here" talk... but it was still keep going toward Idira to find other shooting areas.

Try your luck there if you'd like but make sure you take legal guns because they did inspect.

Last edited by LTC-J; 05-28-2013 at 6:02 PM.. Reason: Mistyped... they ARE inspecting
Old 05-28-2013, 8:05 PM

I was out there shooting yesterday and spoke with 2 of the rangers about the ClearCreek situation. Nobody mentioned anything about Griswold being closed to shooting.
Old 05-28-2013, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was out there shooting yesterday and spoke with 2 of the rangers about the ClearCreek situation. Nobody mentioned anything about Griswold being closed to shooting.
The moose out front should have told ya.
Old 05-28-2013, 8:18 PM

Guess I'll shoot the Hollister field office a call tomorrow and see what's up.
Old 05-28-2013, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 05-29-2013, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Guess I'll shoot the Hollister field office a call tomorrow and see what's up.
It was a shock to me as I'd shot there about 6 weeks before and didn't see any of the new signs then.

While I was out shooting, a pair of trucks pulling out of the gate right next to the area (eastish of the restrooms) stopped for a while. When I saw them, I assumed it was to tighten down their atvs.

As I noted, the two BLM guys were very friendly as they went about their business. But they were very much armed, asked me to keep hands away from guns on my waist, and then asked me to leave the rifle alone until they were back to the cars/down the road.

They recommended a couple spots further up the road but not real good directions. As I noted in first post, I found one of the spots but if I followed the rules, it would put me in an unsafe spot with idiots who don't follow the rules

Here is a post from one of the BLM guys a few months ago about the area:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=681303

This situation is really disappointing for me because the next area I'd consider is El Dorado national forest and it is patroled by an *** of an officer (Marcus) He's infamous in the gun and offroad community.
Old 05-29-2013, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC-J View Post
It was a shock to me as I'd shot there about 6 weeks before and didn't see any of the new signs then.

While I was out shooting, a pair of trucks pulling out of the gate right next to the area (eastish of the restrooms) stopped for a while. When I saw them, I assumed it was to tighten down their atvs.

As I noted, the two BLM guys were very friendly as they went about their business. But they were very much armed, asked me to keep hands away from guns on my waist, and then asked me to leave the rifle alone until they were back to the cars/down the road.

They recommended a couple spots further up the road but not real good directions. As I noted in first post, I found one of the spots but if I followed the rules, it would put me in an unsafe spot with idiots who don't follow the rules

Here is a post from one of the BLM guys a few months ago about the area:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=681303

This situation is really disappointing for me because the next area I'd consider is El Dorado national forest and it is patroled by an *** of an officer (Marcus) He's infamous in the gun and offroad community.
Yeah, I used to work with David Moore on some of the Clear Creek OHV issues before Cooper shut the place down. I shot him an e-mail and will let you know what I hear.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Hello Everybody,

JDub brought this thread to my attention. I don't get as much time as I'd like to check the forum, so thanks for giving me a heads-up.

Basically, this quote from one of my posts on another thread sums it up:

"- You must be 150 YARDS from ANY developed site (picnic areas, restrooms, etc.) to shoot. This means the Griswold Hills picnic area and immediate vicinity are NOT open to shooting. You need to hike up the ridge to get far enough away to be legal. Same with Tumey Hills picnic area."

This has always been the case and, with the recent development of the picnic areas and campgrounds, has needed enforcement, particularly due to the vandalism listed in the above post. This is not a new rule and Law Enforcement observed a grace period and served warnings over the last several years before beginning to write tickets.

The new signs are meant to make it clear, so there is no confusion about shooting in the area of the new developments.

To get off on a tangent: I was out at East Tumeys (the box canyon closest to I-5) checking on the site last year and a family was trying to kick back and have lunch when several shooters pulled up and started shooting off of their tailgate 15 feet away. I spoke with them regarding the 150 yard rule, and they moved, but by that time, the family had packed up and left. The restroom/picnic areas weren't developed to support target shooting so it's only fair to respect the 150 yard rule. 99% of you wouldn't shoot with someone sitting right there, but the 1% who have done so determined the outcome for everyone else.

West Tumey access still offers a close-to-the-road place to shoot during the summer months. The walk from the county road parking is very minimal.

I hope this answers your questions regarding the Griswolds. Let me know if you have any more.

- David
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM - David View Post
Hello Everybody,

JDub brought this thread to my attention. I don't get as much time as I'd like to check the forum, so thanks for giving me a heads-up.

Basically, this quote from one of my posts on another thread sums it up:

"- You must be 150 YARDS from ANY developed site (picnic areas, restrooms, etc.) to shoot. This means the Griswold Hills picnic area and immediate vicinity are NOT open to shooting. You need to hike up the ridge to get far enough away to be legal. Same with Tumey Hills picnic area."

This has always been the case and, with the recent development of the picnic areas and campgrounds, has needed enforcement, particularly due to the vandalism listed in the above post. This is not a new rule and Law Enforcement observed a grace period and served warnings over the last several years before beginning to write tickets.

The new signs are meant to make it clear, so there is no confusion about shooting in the area of the new developments.

To get off on a tangent: I was out at East Tumeys (the box canyon closest to I-5) checking on the site last year and a family was trying to kick back and have lunch when several shooters pulled up and started shooting off of their tailgate 15 feet away. I spoke with them regarding the 150 yard rule, and they moved, but by that time, the family had packed up and left. The restroom/picnic areas weren't developed to support target shooting so it's only fair to respect the 150 yard rule. 99% of you wouldn't shoot with someone sitting right there, but the 1% who have done so determined the outcome for everyone else.

West Tumey access still offers a close-to-the-road place to shoot during the summer months. The walk from the county road parking is very minimal.

I hope this answers your questions regarding the Griswolds. Let me know if you have any more.

- David
Thanks David. Can we share this info with the rangers patrolling the area? It sounds like they've been giving out some questionable info.

Based on the 150 yard rule, you should also be able to shoot in far left corner across from the picnic area if you're shooting into the hillside. I measured that as more than 150 yds from the improved areas.
Old 05-31-2013, 7:12 AM

Definitely welcome to share with the LE Rangers. They are more than aware of the rule. It's pretty universal. CA State observes the same shooting buffers we do, as does the Forest Service, etc.

Keep in mind that there is also a process for creating Supplementary Rules that can declare no shooting zones in areas that would otherwise be suitable for shooting, such as proximity to suburban homes, known habitat for protected species, etc. Basically, at Griswold, there is the hiking access trail in the corner you are talking about, so there is no way to shoot without shooting across the trail. Non-shooters and hunters (bird, deer, pig) will often park up the canyon on the County Rd and hike up and over the hills, coming out down the trail at the recreation site and looping back to their vehicle. I did this 2 years ago and had to wait for over an hour for the guys to stop shooting so I could safely come down the trail. That is why the flats around Griswold are closed. It is a very small piece of BLM, completely surrounded by private, so there just isn't room there to safely shoot with the other uses. Think of it as more of an access portal.

Hope that helps.

-David

Quote:
Thanks David. Can we share this info with the rangers patrolling the area? It sounds like they've been giving out some questionable info.

Based on the 150 yard rule, you should also be able to shoot in far left corner across from the picnic area if you're shooting into the hillside. I measured that as more than 150 yds from the improved areas.

Last edited by BLM - David; 05-31-2013 at 7:41 AM..