Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-19-2023, 9:29 PM

I was number 101 picking up today with 10 minutes left. The guy said they usually get about 30 per day.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:53 AM

Hi everyone, new member here from Sacramento County looking into getting a CCW for the first time.

Before I start the process, I was wondering, how far in to the process do you need to list what 3 guns you will put on the permit? Is that required up front? Asking because I am about to buy one that I would like on the permit, but obviously I don't have it yet (Kimber Pro CDP II).

Also, I'm honestly wondering if it's even worth bothering with the new law Newsome just signed, SB 2. Doesn't it render a CCW pretty much useless as you can't really carry much of anywhere in public? I'm very curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2023, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James View Post
Hi everyone, new member here from Sacramento County looking into getting a CCW for the first time.

Before I start the process, I was wondering, how far in to the process do you need to list what 3 guns you will put on the permit? Is that required up front? Asking because I am about to buy one that I would like on the permit, but obviously I don't have it yet (Kimber Pro CDP II).

Also, I'm honestly wondering if it's even worth bothering with the new law Newsome just signed, SB 2. Doesn't it render a CCW pretty much useless as you can't really carry much of anywhere in public? I'm very curious to know everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Sacramento has not, in the past, required CCW guns to be listed on the initial application. After interviews, background, etc. are completed, you will be authorized to go to training. That is when you will need the guns as you will have to qualify with each of them and the qualifications will be submitted to the IA.

SB 2 implementation is a complete unknown at this time. Today, federal district court will consider an injunction against the sensitive places part of the law. We hope for a quick review and implementation on that, but the decision might run longer.

An application fee of $47 puts you in line, and with the backlog in applications, you should have plenty of time to sort out guns and evaluate the impact of new laws before you move to the training and issuance costs.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Sacramento has not, in the past, required CCW guns to be listed on the initial application. After interviews, background, etc. are completed, you will be authorized to go to training. That is when you will need the guns as you will have to qualify with each of them and the qualifications will be submitted to the IA.

SB 2 implementation is a complete unknown at this time. Today, federal district court will consider an injunction against the sensitive places part of the law. We hope for a quick review and implementation on that, but the decision might run longer.

An application fee of $47 puts you in line, and with the backlog in applications, you should have plenty of time to sort out guns and evaluate the impact of new laws before you move to the training and issuance costs.
I guess this must have changed, because I just pulled up the current initial application online and it does ask for the firearms that will be listed on the permit with a max of 3. As such I guess I will have to wait. Because it looks like there are new requirements that go into effect Jan 1, such as personal references etc. I'm wondering if they would say the process needs to start over anyways.

Honestly, after reading a good portion of the SB2 text, I'm also worried that I will just be denied based on two incidents from long ago in my past anyways, regardless of the fact that I have no convictions and legally own multiple guns, most of which were purchased after both of these incidents. These incidents were 27 and 25 years ago respectively.

I did talk to Sac County a while back and they said these would not rule me out, and that only two hard no's exist, 1 is a conviction within the last 7 years and the other an arrest in the last 5 years. But with the new requirements and text of SB2, I'm just not sure.

Last edited by Kevin James; 12-21-2023 at 6:53 AM.. Reason: Remove unnecessary information
Old 12-21-2023, 5:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I guess this must have changed, because I just pulled up the current initial application online and it does ask for the firearms that will be listed on the permit with a max of 3. As such I guess I will have to wait. Because it looks like there are new requirements that go into effect Jan 1, such as personal references etc. I'm wondering if they would say the process needs to start over anyways.
The application has always asked for the guns. People have submitted the initial application without the guns and been processed. Later, they have added the guns. Last year, I submitted a renewal application without guns listed. I added them after the live-fire cert. everything went through. As to SB 2, any application which is not complete by 31 Dec 2023 will be processed under the SB 2 rules. But you will not lose your place in line by filing now.

Quote:
Honestly, after reading a good portion of the SB2 text, I'm also worried that I will just be denied based on two incidents from long ago in my past anyways, regardless of the fact that I have no convictions and legally own multiple guns, most of which were purchased after both of these incidents.[]

I did talk to Sac County a while back and they said these would not rule me out, and that only two hard no's exist, 1 is a conviction within the last 7 years and the other an arrest in the last 5 years. But with the new requirements and text of SB2, I'm just not sure.
What you did a quarter of a century ago is less important than what you have done since that time.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 12-21-2023 at 5:15 AM..
Old 12-22-2023, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
The application has always asked for the guns. People have submitted the initial application without the guns and been processed. Later, they have added the guns. Last year, I submitted a renewal application without guns listed. I added them after the live-fire cert. everything went through. As to SB 2, any application which is not complete by 31 Dec 2023 will be processed under the SB 2 rules. But you will not lose your place in line by filing now.

What you did a quarter of a century ago is less important than what you have done since that time.
Thanks. I don't know, I've been doing all the research I can and really thinking about if I should apply, and I'm just feeling really discouraged. I feel like I will just get denied and then if I do I have to disclose that if I ever decide to apply again later. I'd rather just not do it if I'm going to get denied because i don't want that denial on my record. I'm fully legal to own and buy guns and I have never been convicted of anything, but the incident I am mostly worried about just looks really bad, even though it was 27 years ago.

Last edited by Kevin James; 12-22-2023 at 1:48 PM..
Old 01-08-2024, 10:46 AM

Default 2023 training and qualification form?

Can anyone send me a blank training and qualification form for Sacramento, that was in effect in 2023? The website has the new 2024 form but I'm in need of the previous revision.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2024, 1:44 PM

FYI - Sac County Update as of 1/17/24

Took a 4hr renewal training class in December to beat SB2 requirements (per email from Sac Sheriff Office training good for 6 mos)

Submitted application 11:30pm 1/16/24 - pickup email received 1/17/24 2:30pm - 15hours from submission to approval
Old 02-18-2024, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

Good afternoon,
If I already have a ccw but recently moved to Sacramento is the process identical and going through everything again? Also is the time frame from start to end also about the same?
Old 03-23-2024, 6:52 PM

Default New CCW card?

Hello all, I'm in the process of getting ready to get my CCW (Sacramento County). For those of you that have renewed/gotten your permits recently, did you get a card like the one in attached pic or is it still a paper permit:

source: https://www.sdsheriff.gov/i-want-to/...eapons-license
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD-CCW.jpg (20.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by slashdotted20; 03-23-2024 at 7:31 PM..
Old 03-23-2024, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Hell no.. I just got my renewal in December, same as it has been for about 6years, paper that they put in laminate. That looks much nicer
Old 03-24-2024, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdotted20 View Post
Hello all, I'm in the process of getting ready to get my CCW (Sacramento County). For those of you that have renewed/gotten your permits recently, did you get a card like the one in attached pic or is it still a paper permit:

source: https://www.sdsheriff.gov/i-want-to/...eapons-license
it's a laminated paper card that is a little bigger than a CC, instead of folding it I bought this wallet with a tiny bit of trimming it fits nicely in it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 03-25-2024, 12:48 PM

I sent an email to CCW unit at SCSO about the new format ID cards & below is their response:

"CCW IDs in the new format will be issued sometime in the next 3 months for new permits."