Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-24-2016, 9:22 AM

My final appointment is scheduled for 9/8/16!!!
Thanks CSA.
Old 08-24-2016, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarish View Post
Anyone know how strict they are with the on-roster requirement? Is that mainly intended for new production stuff?

What about a C&R Makarov (or P-64 or CZ 82)? Surely it doesn't make sense to deny those, since the roster means nothing for them.

And what about guns that were discontinued before the roster even existed, like Star pistols?

I'll be a Ventura resident soon and I have a large collection of old-school subcompact and pocket guns I'd like to CCW.
While their policy seems to have changed a little over the last couple years, I can say that I've qualified more than a few people with off roster firearms which are roster exempt. I don't know for sure but, from what I have gathered, for the most part, they will accept a pre roster firearm of a non SSE off roster firearm.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 08-25-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
While their policy seems to have changed a little over the last couple years . . . . I don't know for sure but, from what I have gathered, for the most part, they will accept a pre roster firearm of a non SSE off roster firearm.
I do have a pre-roster revolver on my permit, so they definitely allow revolvers that are not on the roster and have been manufactured before there was such a thing as the California roster.

I also know that they do not allow a firearm that got the SSE and was then converted back (or not). For example, I love that Chiappa Rhino 20DS snubby, think it's by far the best CCW weapon on the planet, but the only way to get it on the permit would be if a LEO in California buys it new -- so no SSE exemption -- then sells it to you at some point in time, all nicely documented. And that would be the best case scenario.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Ten months in order to get permission to be able to defend yourself.

The interview aspect is interesting since they are looking for something. Also remember that the police have no duty or obligation to protect you as an individual. Add to that having to get permission from the government to be able to defend yourself is a violation of your right to keep and bear arms.

I have heard that the Sheriff has used the good moral character to deny people.

Overall, it seems like things need to change.
Considering that until what, 2 years ago, he pretty much issued to no one outside of his donors list and celebrities I'd say things have changed. I mean, we could still not be able to get any permits at all for us regular folk. Could it be better? Sure. Could it be worse? It already has been.

Overall I'd says it much better than it was and is maybe as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future. Still better than LA county to the South and Santa Barbara County to the North!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-25-2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul B View Post
I got a call today as well and they moved mine to Sept as well. Excited to get this all started

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I turned mine in in Ventura yesterday. They said it would be many months before I hear from someone. Why does the information seem to be so conflicting? Trying to figure this out...

Last edited by mocean; 08-25-2016 at 4:09 PM..
Old 09-10-2016, 5:35 PM

Default UPDATE! Got an awesome letter today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinthecurse View Post
I applied in mid- December last year, and had my interview with inspector Jones this morning.

It was a lot more in-depth than I anticipated. I was asked a lot of questions that he already knew the answer to, just to gauge my response. Toward the end of the interview, he asked me to give a quote about my DUI conviction that was six years ago, that the sheriff would read. He said that the sheriff accepts some applications with DUIs, but it definitely decreases my chances. So I explained what happened, how I learned my lesson, etc...

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand I am glad that they are so thorough, but on the other hand... I KNOW I am a good person, and responsible and experienced enough to carry a firearm. If I get denied for driving hungover 6 years ago, I would feel pretty salty about it.

Just thought I would share my experience so far.

Cheers!

Got the letter saying my background check was complete, and to get my training done. Those of you with DUI's- IT'S NOT HOPELESS!!
Old 10-05-2016, 5:22 PM

I'm hoping that you all can help me with this. I started looking at getting my ccw end of last year but deployment and life happened and I'm just getting around to it now. What should I put down a a reason as I'm just a law abiding citizen that wants to carry?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckanut105 View Post
I'm hoping that you all can help me with this. I started looking at getting my ccw end of last year but deployment and life happened and I'm just getting around to it now. What should I put down a a reason as I'm just a law abiding citizen that wants to carry?

"Self Defense" is all you need
Old 10-11-2016, 9:13 PM

Thanks man.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:37 AM

JUST GOT MY LETTER TODAY!!
I will be shooting CSACANNONEER a pm here soon.
I have had a wet reckless in 2012, never used drugs but dabbled in prohormones that were not prohibited then but are now. I was honest with Detective Fuchs and he was great about following up with additional paperwork and other things that came up. Sheriff Dean seems like he wants to get his responsible folks these permits as he has brought on additional personnel.

If you have had some issues but have cleaned up, make an appointment, dont be afraid!

I was told no SSE guns but they are cool with internal and external mods. I asked about stippling, grip chops and trigger mods and was told they are kosher.

Last edited by CaliDoc; 11-13-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Old 12-06-2016, 12:51 PM

I recently moved to VC from SD county and my driver's license has my old SD county address on it. I submitted an address change on the DMV website. Do I need a new license that has my VC address on it or can I show a lease, utility bill, etc...when applying for my CCW license?
Old 12-20-2016, 2:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Someone w/a contact in the Ventura CCW dept should pass along:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...121987214.html

Sacramento, San Bernardino, Fresno, Placer, and Monterey county SOs have now all gone online w/their CCW apps: initial and renewals. For Sac, this means only 1 apt for new apps and NO apts for renewals! Saves both sides time, expenses and effort.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-20-2016 at 2:42 PM..
Old 12-20-2016, 2:34 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicxk23 View Post
I recently moved to VC from SD county and my driver's license has my old SD county address on it. I submitted an address change on the DMV website. Do I need a new license that has my VC address on it or can I show a lease, utility bill, etc...when applying for my CCW license?
Call the VCSD CCW unit and ask, they'll know what is needed.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 12-21-2016, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Call the VCSD CCW unit and ask, they'll know what is needed.
I got a new license in the mail waiting for me when I get back so that should be good. I'll still give them a call though.
Old 12-27-2016, 6:06 PM

Scheduled my application drop off appointment today. Yay! Not huge progress in the process but a step nonetheless!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:59 AM

Default Turned in my app on Tuesday... 10 month estimated wait...

Hey guys...
I just turned in my app on Tuesday 12/27 and they said it would be about 10 months before I hear anything. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything sooner!

Let the wait begin!
Old 12-30-2016, 4:20 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Dropped off my renewal application today. Current CCW expires in late April.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 AM

The entire process is easy. It just takes time. From start to finish it took my 13 months. It is super fast from the time you get your letter.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 12:53 PM

What's up guys. I have a question. Last November I joined the Air Guard and am currently waiting to go to basic and tech school. With the current wait time being almost a year long I was wondering if I could apply for a permit before I leave. My tech school is going to be a few months on top of basic and I don't know when I'll be back. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2017, 9:52 PM

Default Ventura County CCW

I may be moving to Ventura County in the near future. Everything I read is that it is a friendly county for CCW. "Self Defense" is good enough cause for need. Is this true? Any advice for getting a CCW when the time comes.

Danke!

"I never killed a man, but I have read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction." Mark Twain

"The Second Amendment is not “old”; it is timeless. It is not “unclear”; it is obvious. It is not “embarrassing”; it is fundamental. And, as much as anything else, it is a vital indicator of the correct relationship between the citizen and the state and a reminder of the unbreakable sovereignty of the individual."
Old 01-21-2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
I may be moving to Ventura County in the near future. Everything I read is that it is a friendly county for CCW. "Self Defense" is good enough cause for need. Is this true? Any advice for getting a CCW when the time comes.

Danke!
Head over to the CCW section, there is a county by county breakdown and threads for each...
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
Head over to the CCW section, there is a county by county breakdown and threads for each...
^^THIS!^^

Short answer is Yes, self defense is all that is required. However, you still have to pass the background check, the morals check and be prepared to wait 11 to 13 months before you see your permit.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 AM

[QUOTE=
Short answer is Yes, self defense is all that is required. However, you still have to pass the background check, the morals check and be prepared to wait 11 to 13 months before you see your permit.[/QUOTE]

Fun

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
Old 01-22-2017, 1:07 PM

Read?

I think you mean the YouTube videos you watched.

I think we all seen that guy tracking his whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 8:25 PM
Banned

Anybody know if I can re apply if I was denied for moral character . What are my chances to get denied again?

Applied about a year an half ago.
Old 01-23-2017, 1:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If it was the same Sheriff, then it will most likely be the same. I have heard that this excuse is used to deny people.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-23-2017, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Can you share what moral character they found questionable? Totally cool if you'd prefer not sharing. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 2:00 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

I'd be surprised if they told him.

Old 01-23-2017, 3:02 PM
Banned

They sent me a letter stating denial for moral character do to a 2001 dui case. I was also charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The charges where dropped by DA because it was self defense towards bodily harm to my self. Im not a felon
Old 01-24-2017, 7:04 PM

When I turned mine in 4 months ago I asked the Sheriff who took my application what I should put as my reason, She said "self defense" is all you need.
Old 01-24-2017, 9:05 PM

Thanks! I am so close to the Ventura border I can taste the freedom. Trying to buy just on the other side.

"I never killed a man, but I have read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction." Mark Twain

"The Second Amendment is not “old”; it is timeless. It is not “unclear”; it is obvious. It is not “embarrassing”; it is fundamental. And, as much as anything else, it is a vital indicator of the correct relationship between the citizen and the state and a reminder of the unbreakable sovereignty of the individual."
Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 PM

I was just approved to take the training class by the VCSD. My timeline, if anyone is interested, was:
1) April 2016 call for appointment
2) August 2016 go to VCSD appointment, get fingerprinted
3) January 2017 go to VCSD for the interview, received approval to proceed with the training class

I was told at the August appt that it would be about 10 months before I was contacted, but this was not the case. And my reason for carry? Self defense for myself and my family. That's it.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2017, 7:04 AM

Thanks for the timeline details! 2 Years - OMG! At what point did you have to provide proof of residence?

Old 01-28-2017, 7:44 AM

Oh not two years, for me it will be maybe a year from first phone call to (hopefully) issuance. I provided proof of residence at the interview last week via a copy of my apartment lease agreement and a utility bill.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
I was just approved to take the training class by the VCSD. My timeline, if anyone is interested, was:
1) April 2016 call for appointment
2) August 2016 go to VCSD appointment, get fingerprinted
3) January 2017 go to VCSD for the interview, received approval to proceed with the training class
Did they approve you durring the interview or after?

You'll have your license by late Feb at the latest. Once they tell you that you can take the class things move pretty quickly.

Old 01-29-2017, 9:11 AM

I was approved during the interview, and told that I would receive my written approval in the next 3-4 weeks. I heard from a friend that the interview was going to be a pain in the behind but the sergeant that met with me was very cordial and eager to answer any questions I had. I think the whole thing lasted 10-15 minutes. I got there 15 minutes early and was seen earlier than my appointment.
Old 01-29-2017, 6:36 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
I was approved during the interview, and told that I would receive my written approval in the next 3-4 weeks. I heard from a friend that the interview was going to be a pain in the behind but the sergeant that met with me was very cordial and eager to answer any questions I had. I think the whole thing lasted 10-15 minutes. I got there 15 minutes early and was seen earlier than my appointment.
Thats good to know. Ive heard nothing but good things about VCSDs interview process (except for those few who thought they could get away with not telling the truth) so it's good to know my experience 2 years ago is still how things are being done!

Old 01-30-2017, 8:18 AM

dropped off my application and completed the LiveScan 1/27/2017. looking forward to updating in 10 months
Old 01-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms1979 View Post
They sent me a letter stating denial for moral character do to a 2001 dui case. I was also charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The charges where dropped by DA because it was self defense towards bodily harm to my self. Im not a felon
I'm impressed that they told you! Nice to know they are being upfront instead of just saying "denied" with no explanation...

Old 01-30-2017, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms1979 View Post
Lawyer