Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-07-2011, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappabacon View Post
Is this, in anyones experience a good enough good cause?
Yup.
Not sure about you having to apply to the city first though. If you call the CCW unit they will tell you.

You will get one of the new credit card style CCW's with your picture on it.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
http://www.murrietatactical.com
Old 01-07-2011, 8:25 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDI View Post
Yup.
Not sure about you having to apply to the city first though. If you call the CCW unit they will tell you.

You will get one of the new credit card style CCW's with your picture on it.
Ok, I'm going to contact the local PD on Monday. I'll keep everyone posted. If anyone has tips for me on how to make it flow as smoothly as possible, please feel free to PM me.
Old 01-07-2011, 8:31 PM

Unless you are absolutely sure you have to go to your local PD, why not call the RivCo CCW unit like I said and ask. They are super nice and you might be able to just apply directly to them.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 01-07-2011, 8:35 PM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Unless you are absolutely sure you have to go to your local PD, why not call the RivCo CCW unit like I said and ask. They are super nice and you might be able to just apply directly to them.
I read through the info here:
http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa.../Riverside.pdf
and it says that you must at least attempt to apply if you live in a city within the county that has it's own PD.
Old 01-07-2011, 8:45 PM

OK, gotcha.
I just know of alot of people who just applied directly to the Sheriff's CCW unit and had no problem.

The only thing I do know for sure is if you call and ask they will tell you.
I talk to those guys all the time and they really don't understand why more people don't just call them up and ask questions. You don't even have to tell them your name.
Sheriff Sniff has taken quite an interest in CCW's lately. That is why he bought the new equipment for the plastic cards.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 01-07-2011, 8:46 PM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
OK, gotcha.
I just know of alot of people who just applied directly to the Sheriff's CCW unit and had no problem.

The only thing I do know for sure is if you call and ask they will tell you.
I talk to those guys all the time and they really don't understand why more people don't just call them up and ask questions. You don't even have to tell them your name.
Sheriff Sniff has taken quite an interest in CCW's lately. That is why he bought the new equipment for the plastic cards.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Will do, thank you.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

You do not have to apply to the city first. The Riverside Sheriff CCW will accept your application without having to first apply to the city. I went directly to the Sheriff and was never asked about a city application.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Bacon makes it better

Well ok, save me a phone call. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 4:33 PM

FYI...Update.

December 1st, 2010 initial interview and packet drop off. I filled everything out comepletely and was well prepared with MO's for payment in hand.

January 10th, 2011...CCW in hand. Less than 6 weeks, start to finish.

Everything went smooth and the CCW unit was helpful and very professional.
Old 01-10-2011, 4:51 PM
In Memoriam

Well done 00BuckShot

Care to post any insight as to what you did right or wrong in the process or if you had a chance to do over? How were they as to good cause? No specific details on yours, just overall?
Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 5:12 PM

I just made sure that EVERYTHING was done ahead of time. Everything was typed up and legible. My good cause we well written, like you would a college paper. (Thank goodness for spell check.) I dressed nice for the interview and gave them no other cause to turn me down. All the "t's" were crossed and the "i's" dotted. Got my class taken care of in a timely manner. Made followup calls but didn't bug them. All in all it was pretty easy!
Old 01-10-2011, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BuckShot View Post
FYI...Update.

December 1st, 2010 initial interview and packet drop off. I filled everything out comepletely and was well prepared with MO's for payment in hand.

January 10th, 2011...CCW in hand. Less than 6 weeks, start to finish.

Everything went smooth and the CCW unit was helpful and very professional.
I had my initial interview November 15th and I still haven't heard back.........
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I am at 63 days since my initial interview now. They have 27 more to let me know, as of last week my application is "under review"..........
Old 01-18-2011, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
Well, I am at 63 days since my initial interview now. They have 27 more to let me know, as of last week my application is "under review"..........
Hang in there. I was just in the office the other day, and was told they have been extremely busy with applicants. I would think you are getting close, though.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 7:34 PM
Banned

Default Seeking Advice

I just had a question that I wanted to know if anyone might be able to answer or offer advice to. I too own a business in Riverside (a foster family agency dealing with abused and neglected children who are dependents of the court). I have been a social worker for the past 17 years (including several years a long time ago with Riverside County Child Protective Services). I have been considering applying for a CCW for a while. Whereas it is true that my business does deal with large sums of money, it should be noted that much of these deposits are in the form of checks received from the counties that we service. I have deposits receipts in large dollar amounts (six figure amounts), however the deposit receipts do not differentiate between cash deposits versus deposits via checks. Yes, I too have a business account at BofA. I do make cash deposits also, but again, the very large sums are from checks received.

Would it not be worth the time using a good cause statement which focuses on large financial deposits or would it be better to consider a good cause based on the safety of my employees and myself from the family members of the kids that we monitor. Yes, with my business and the issues that we deal with in the families of the kids who are placed in foster care, there are problems. Fortunately, I have been able to address these problems through the use of good communication and trying to defray the feelings of some of these individuals, however a CCW has been something that I have been considering for a long time.

Just seeking opinions, but would this be a good reason for attaining a CCW and would the issue of safety or large deposits be a "good cause" reason?
Old 01-20-2011, 7:42 PM

I think the overall picture you describe is an excellent good cause.

I have told alot of people in the past to just call and ask the CCW unit, but I don't think anybody does. Most can't believe that they really can get one and don't want to screw it up by asking the wrong questions.

But I truly think the deputies that manage this have your best interests at heart. If you call you don't even have to give your name. They will ask some questions and almost help you form your good cause. They really do want to issue. I have spent hours talking to them.

Here is the number 951-486-2856

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Banned

SDI... Thank you for your response and advice. I also appreciate the phone number and will look to make the call in the morning!
Old 01-30-2011, 7:51 AM
CGN Contributor

Is there any update or policy change regarding "personal protection" for "good cause"???
Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I think the overall picture you describe is an excellent good cause.

I have told alot of people in the past to just call and ask the CCW unit, but I don't think anybody does. Most can't believe that they really can get one and don't want to screw it up by asking the wrong questions.

But I truly think the deputies that manage this have your best interests at heart. If you call you don't even have to give your name. They will ask some questions and almost help you form your good cause. They really do want to issue. I have spent hours talking to them.

Here is the number 951-486-2856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpigeon View Post
Is there any update or policy change regarding "personal protection" for "good cause"???

I know are we like solano county yet?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsul View Post
I know are we like solano county yet?
Not to my knowledge.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 02-02-2011, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Down to "two weeks" now till the SD hits the PC12052.5 (90 day) deadline. My application is still "under review"........

Is there any recourse available if the department violates PC12052.5 timing requirements?
Old 02-14-2011, 7:12 AM
Veteran Member

Today is day 91. PC12052.5 has now been violated.
Old 02-14-2011, 7:16 AM

what recourse do you have?

seems like you got hosed.. 300 ish bux, 90+ days wait time.. no ccw? wth..
Old 02-17-2011, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Got a response from the Sheriff today....DENIED.

Good cause was "I wish to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense, specifically from animal predators such as coyotes and mountain lions"

I knew it was a gamble going into it........

Last edited by cindynles; 02-18-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Old 02-17-2011, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

And it took them more than the legally allowed time period to decide that they didn't like your simple, single-sentence good cause? Not cool, in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2011, 3:50 PM
Bacon makes it better

That sucks. I feel like if you don't get the license, you should at least get your money back.
Old 02-17-2011, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

I would just like everyone who is considering applying in Riverside County to be aware of the situation. In hindsite I should have insisted they follow the law and not collect the $100 for the CCW class up front. It would have saved me some cash. Oh well, live and learn....

Last edited by cindynles; 02-17-2011 at 4:49 PM..
Old 02-17-2011, 6:33 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I would just like everyone who is considering applying in Riverside County to be aware of the situation. In hindsite I should have insisted they follow the law and not collect the $100 for the CCW class up front. It would have saved me some cash. Oh well, live and learn....
Have you contacted anyone from CG to see if any legal action can be taken???
Old 03-23-2011, 9:52 AM
Banned

The application asks for lawsuits involved in. Would divorce preceedings be considered a "lawsuit" for that question?
Old 04-10-2011, 1:07 PM

Looking for some insight.

I've been looking around these forums for quite some time. Recently joined so I could look at some of the hosted pictures. First I want to thank everyone here for all they do.

Onto the insight seeking. I'm a nurse in San Bernardino, I live in Riverside County, I work noon to midnight in the Emergency Department. My girlfriend and mother are also nurses and we teach classes in underprivileged areas of San B and Rivco, often finishing well after dark and returning home.

Having access to drugs, IV supplies and medical equipment, as well as the desire to protect my family in some undesirable areas late at night have prompted my desire to apply for a CCW in Rivco.

Unrelated to the above we also spend many hours in the back country of Rivco and San B offroading/hiking out in the desert and desire a certain protection.

Does any of the above seem to fit the good cause clause?

I'm going to call the CCW unit and ask them, but I want to met out any issues you guys see in the good cause scenario first.

Thanks so Much

---------------
VFX
RN, EMT-B, BLS-I
Old 04-10-2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanfenix View Post

I've been looking around these forums for quite some time. Recently joined so I could look at some of the hosted pictures. First I want to thank everyone here for all they do.

Onto the insight seeking. I'm a nurse in San Bernardino, I live in Riverside County, I work noon to midnight in the Emergency Department. My girlfriend and mother are also nurses and we teach classes in underprivileged areas of San B and Rivco, often finishing well after dark and returning home.

Having access to drugs, IV supplies and medical equipment, as well as the desire to protect my family in some undesirable areas late at night have prompted my desire to apply for a CCW in Rivco.

Unrelated to the above we also spend many hours in the back country of Rivco and San B offroading/hiking out in the desert and desire a certain protection.

I'm going to call the CCW unit and ask them, but I want to met out any issues you guys see in the good cause scenario first.

Thanks so Much

---------------
VFX
RN, EMT-B, BLS-I
While I can't speak for the CCW unit, I think you stand a good chance based on what you wrote.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 04-14-2011, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thanks so Much

---------------
VFX
RN, EMT-B, BLS-I
From the few people I know that have gotten CCWs from Riverside County, occupational hazzards are generally accepted. They might request a green light from your employer though.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Default Found a good cause statement for Riverside City (albeit an old one)

Would love to see if this could be used to force the reuse of this same good cause statement.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

On that note, have the successful good cause statements for Riverside County been obtained yet?
Old 04-15-2011, 6:19 PM

Can the RivCo Sheriff legally approach my employer for consent? I was lead to believe by previous statements that would be a no no on their end
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM

After speaking with an officer in CCW unit and was told the 3 personal references got flagged as "illegal requirement" by other sources, which I consider ourselves at CALGUNS. They are reviewing and will issue revised list of requirements but cannot guarantee when would happen.

You won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There’s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you don’t actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time… It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience.”

President Reagan
Old 04-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Can the RivCo Sheriff legally approach my employer for consent? I was lead to believe by previous statements that would be a no no on their end
If their is anything barring them from doing so, I've never seen it. I have read stories where they have done just that.
Old 04-23-2011, 8:54 PM

I had to have my employer fill out a form that allowed my company to add restrictions to my license. at&t is very anti-gun. Unless you live in Alaska or the Florida Everglades you can't carry at work or even lock you gun in your vehicle in a company parking lot.
Old 04-24-2011, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup99 View Post
I had to have my employer fill out a form that allowed my company to add restrictions to my license. at&t is very anti-gun. Unless you live in Alaska or the Florida Everglades you can't carry at work or even lock you gun in your vehicle in a company parking lot.
That's pretty standard for almost every company on the planet.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM

The crappy part is that at&t risk management told me that it does not matter where I park my truck, I can't have my gun in my personal truck while I am on the clock. The risk management representative told me I should move to Florida if I want to keep my gun in my personal truck while at work.