Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-27-2018, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrChuch View Post
Windows phone is officially dead as of last year and Firefox Phone the year before.

Amazon's Fire Phone is still around I believe, but it's more of a variation on Android. Also, I doubt Amazon is going to be any better of a company for you.

If you are tech savvy enough, you can find a few viable open source options, but expect apps and updates to be practically non-existent.
Keep it quiet. My Windows phone has not heard the news and is alive and kicking.
Old 01-28-2018, 7:14 AM
retired Goon

ARS Technica: The fight for a third-best smartphone OS has been lost. By everyone. Op-Ed: Without a truly viable third option, it’s Android, iOS, or bust.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-28-2018, 7:19 AM

The intrusive nature of any company really depends on the services of theirs that you use. Not what operating system your phone runs. If you’re into security and privacy, no better option than to pick iOS or Android OS. In that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-28-2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
OnePlus

Jesus, do you search the news for one plus and Chinese made ones that spy on everything you do?
Old 01-28-2018, 8:28 PM
Uhaul Enthusiast
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
Keep it quiet. My Windows phone has not heard the news and is alive and kicking.
Hah, yes, the current phones on the market will continue to work, they are just no longer developing the OS for anything new.

Not sure how long they will actually support them (bug fixes and whatnot), but probably longer than the useful life of the phone.

FWIW: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...lug/747686001/
Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 AM

/\/\/\/\/\ Most tech blogs / articles are saying support at the longest will be into 2019. Maybe end of year 2018. Doesn't mean the phones won't still work, but they will not be officially supported by MS. So at the point that support stops, you are on your own.

That being said, considering you can get a really nice windows phone for $100 or even less..... why not run one until you can't run it anymore.

At that point, there may be new options, or you just have to figure out what you are going to do then. But at least you can kick the can for another year or two at a minimum.

As a side note, I don't really see what the big deal is if you get an apple phone or one of the droid phones that is known not to come with a lot of bloat-ware and then just run it with minimal apps (ie delete everything you are not going to use) and with out giving permissions for anything and with all connectivity restricted (ie no permissions for accessing cloud services, etc).

Both iOS and Android have multiple options, permissions and features and almost everything can be turned on or off.

Yes, you are still using a device that is connected to the internet, but you don't have to use all the features if you don't want to.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

If you don't want Android or iOS, I recommend getting a Blackberry Passport. My second pick would be Nokia's 2017 relaunch of the 3310.