Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-27-2013, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question .22 Bulk Ammo Question

I just got my first rimfire rifle not too long ago. And well since the ammo shortage, its been tough finding bulk. So finally I got some bulk, but now I Have a question. Did an external google search for calguns + dirty bulk ammo but found nothing.

So this ammo is not "dirty" per say. It just seems as if the there is some sort of coating "wax" that is just not consistent. It gunked up my single shot 22 really bad. So bad, it would not eject the spent brass.
That rifle has shot CCI MiniMags, Remington Yellow Jacket HP's and Winchester Super X without issues.

A friend of mine shoots Federal bulk all the time without issues via his Ruger 10/22.

Here are some pics of the CCI Blazer and Winchester White box bulk for comparison. So far I have only shot the Blazer and it gunked up my guns. Will try the Winchester next time I am out.

Any insight?

Sorry still don't know how to Insert images into post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCI Blazer.jpg (95.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Winchester Bulk.jpg (96.8 KB, 151 views)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
~Thomas Jefferson

All I have in this world is my ball$ and my word, and I don't break them for no one.
~Scarface
Old 04-27-2013, 5:35 PM

Start trying out the "Copper Washed" rounds. Seems to help with the wax problem. HTH c good
Old 04-27-2013, 5:38 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

Did you over lube when you cleaned it last? Blazer and Wen should cycle. What long gun is it?
Old 04-27-2013, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Bulk ammo is dirty because
it leaves MORE carbon residue
compared to.......minimags...stringers.

The wax is to help feeding.

What rifle ARE you using.

I have 3 rifles and i have never had the issue
you describe.
George Patton

Last edited by uxo2; 04-27-2013 at 5:41 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 5:40 PM

Your pictures look both like CCI Blazer.
Cost savings of bulk .22s worth a little extra effort with a bore brush and a toothbrush?
Assuming of course, that we have a choice in what variety of .22 we can fiind in the stores.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Both my guns were cleaned and lubed. One was a Remington Model 33 single shot. The other a Savage 187m tube fed Semi Auto.

The single shot shot about 40 of the cci blazer before having issues. It had gone through about 100 Yellow Jackets and 80 Super x before the cci bulk.

The Savage 187m. I started with the CCI bulk and it only took about 40 rounds before it started to have issues.

Sorry I did upload two pics of the CCI. Here is the WWB bulk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20130427_004.jpg (95.6 KB, 74 views)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
~Thomas Jefferson

All I have in this world is my ball$ and my word, and I don't break them for no one.
~Scarface

Last edited by RamonSJC; 04-27-2013 at 5:48 PM.. Reason: Added Picture
Old 04-27-2013, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Umm, both of those pictures are blazer bulk. In fact, those pictures appear to be of the same box(or it's one hell of a coincidence how the rounds are sitting there).

At any rate, what rifle are you actually using? Images of the mess causing problems in the chamber of that would be more helpful.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:50 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

I guess during this panic phase of ammo buying its good just to get any ammo that you can find. The wax on the bullets is typical of .22 ammo that is not lubed with copper wash. The wax is a lubricant to assist in loading and more importantly, accuracy and preventing leading in the barrel. Just something we have to live with in .22 rimfire ammo. You will find that the vast majority of .22lr match ammo is waxed and some like Wolf and SK are heavily waxed and is also some of the most accurate low end match ammo.

As far as CCI Blazer ammo goes I gave up on it due to leading issues and failures to eject in 3 of my bolt action rifles. Leading occured in two of my pistols. Sold it or gave it away.
Old 04-27-2013, 5:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I actually did not clean the rifles yet so I can upload pics. It will take me a little bit since I have a newborn sleeping on me.

thank you all for your responses. I was just wondering if that wax looking stuff on those blazers was normal.

~Thomas Jefferson

~Scarface
Old 04-27-2013, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonSJC View Post
I just got my first rimfire rifle not too long ago. And well since the ammo shortage, its been tough finding bulk. So finally I got some bulk, but now I Have a question. Did an external google search for calguns + dirty bulk ammo but found nothing.

So this ammo is not "dirty" per say. It just seems as if the there is some sort of coating "wax" that is just not consistent. It gunked up my single shot 22 really bad. So bad, it would not eject the spent brass.
That rifle has shot CCI MiniMags, Remington Yellow Jacket HP's and Winchester Super X without issues.

A friend of mine shoots Federal bulk all the time without issues via his Ruger 10/22.

Here are some pics of the CCI Blazer and Winchester White box bulk for comparison. So far I have only shot the Blazer and it gunked up my guns. Will try the Winchester next time I am out.

Any insight?

Sorry still don't know how to Insert images into post.
Well, it has nothing to do with "bulk" ammo. Unless we're talking about target grade ammo, they are all produced in bulk lots of tens/hundreds of thousands or more at a time. From what ammo issues you described it seems your rifles like copper washed ammo better than lubed. No big deal, that's why it's recommended to shoot multiple brands with your rifle/handgun to see what it likes best. Find someone that their rifles don't mind lubed ammo and swap for some copper washed, problem solved.
Old 04-27-2013, 6:04 PM

The lube on the CCI does seem a bit heavy. Almost looks as if the box was stored in a hot environment - closed storage container or hot car trunk. Lube melted off the bullets and deposited on the casings, causing the failure to extract. Shouldn't have to do it, but a quick wipe of the casings (not the bullet) should clear it up. Lube on the bullet helps prevent leading of the bore. On the Winchester, the copper wash does the same.
Old 04-27-2013, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I will make sure wipe the brass but not the bullets. This makes sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korny351 View Post
The lube on the CCI does seem a bit heavy. Almost looks as if the box was stored in a hot environment - closed storage container or hot car trunk. Lube melted off the bullets and deposited on the casings, causing the failure to extract. Shouldn't have to do it, but a quick wipe of the casings (not the bullet) should clear it up. Lube on the bullet helps prevent leading of the bore. On the Winchester, the copper wash does the same.

~Thomas Jefferson

~Scarface
Old 04-27-2013, 6:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here is a closer look at the cci brass and bullets with a white backdrop. it is caked all over the brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20130427_003.jpg (103.3 KB, 89 views)

~Thomas Jefferson

~Scarface
Old 04-27-2013, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Blazer is some of the dirtiest ammo I've ever used. It's better than nothing, but I sold all the Blazer I had...
Old 04-27-2013, 9:29 PM

Yeah, my mossberg tube feed semi model 151, eats up blazer, but yeah, it's dirtier than hell. That rifle hates hp with a passion, have to rock the rn.
Old 04-29-2013, 6:39 PM

Default .22 bulk ammo

Clark firearms out of Arkansaw, suggested putting one drop of ordinary oil on the top bullet of a loaded mag. eliminates bullet wax issue.
Bill
Old 04-29-2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonSJC View Post
Here is a closer look at the cci brass and bullets with a white backdrop. it is caked all over the brass.
My guess would be that the box got too hot at some point and the bullet coating melted onto the brass.

I would take a rag with some alcohol and wipe the brass down, leaving the bullet untouched.

When I shoot really dirty ammo like thunderbolt, I find it helps to shoot a couple copper coated rounds to wipe the barrel.
Old 04-29-2013, 8:31 PM

I have the same problem with a couple of my boxes. I've been shooting CCI Blazer bulk through my 22 AR without any problems before but the last 2 boxes I opened looked just like your pictures. I also started to get fail to eject after a few mags. So I opened a different box that didn't have the waxy feel on them.

I thought it might of just been my bad luck since I did a quick google search before and didn't find anyone else with this problem. Good to know there's a solution and all I need to do is wipe clean every single round in my 2 525 count boxes...
Old 04-29-2013, 9:14 PM

I think that you may and I only mention may have issues with your break in period.

Consider that certain rifles made by the same manufacturer, same rifle will like different ammo.

This is your time to experiment with different ammo.

My S&W M&P 15-22 has never had issues, even with the remington gold bullet which has proven to have issues across all threads, and customer service reports.

I recently shot a new Remington 700, Bull Barrel, .308. I tried several brands of ammo at the 100 yrd line to Zero a Leopold Scope. It only liked three brand of ammo. With the others it would throw the shots far off target.

Your issue I suspect is the ammunition type, combined with the break in period of a rifle.

Watch this and thank a veteran next time you see him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfrr3kxzJtU
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM

I wonder if alternate loading a few waxed target ammo, then a copper jacketed to clear out some of the buildup will help ? I haven't had an issue with the waxed in a Marlin 795, a Colt M4, and a six shooter with 6" barrel. I typically will shoot some match, then some either Winchester copper JHP, or CCI stinger, and I had no issues with jamming.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM

Unfortunately, the issue appears to be a build-up of the wax lube in the chamber causing FTE. Alternating wax-lubed bullets and copper-washed bullets will do nothing for build-up in the chamber. It may reduce fouling in the bore, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

out of [4 ]22 rifles,[ 3] simi auto and 1 bolt the best ammo i ever used was cheap wall mart federal bulk ammo. i had feed problems with popular cci and blazer ?