Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Default Entry-Level-ish O/U for Trap/Skeet?

Im looking for a nice trap/skeet gun for my lady's birthday present, but haven't really seen any under ~1k$.. am I SOL? I would like something that I can customize for her (my dad is a master wood worker and we both are starting engraving) without breaking the bank - likely in 20ga since she is small, but 12g isn't out of the question.

Suggestions?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Find out what fits her and go from there. I've shot shotguns that didn't fit me right and my accuracy struggled. There is nothing wrong with buying a used firearm, especially one that will fit your budget when a new model won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Find out what fits her and go from there. I've shot shotguns that didn't fit me right and my accuracy struggled. There is nothing wrong with buying a used firearm, especially one that will fit your budget when a new model won't.
Shes got a Rem 870 20ga now. Shes not small, she's just little I'm fine with a used one, but like I said, I cant find many under a grand
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

I have a crappy Mossberg/Maverick O/U from Big5 ($400) that is a backup of the backup gun....

Stoeger Condor isn't bad O/U for sub $1k, also used Browning White Lightnings are available for that price...but as everyone says, fit is key !
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I keep hearing that CZ makes a nice O/U for under $1K. I have yet to see one but a lot of people keep talking about them.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Are we talking about stock length etc? So I could be discreet and measure her 870 and look for something in that ballpark?
Old 04-04-2013, 1:40 PM

cz is good so is the lanber shotguns check cdnn and download their catalog to see them
Old 04-04-2013, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

If surprising her isn't necessary I'd take her shopping at the local shotgun places (including the ranges that sell shotguns), find something used that fit pretty close, buy it, have it fitted, and then go to town on the furniture (if that's what you meant with the woodworking comment). If you can get into a good used O/U for $800 bucks out the door you'll probably a bit over the $1k mark after having it fitted.

It's not unheard of to find a Beretta 686 or a Browning Citori used for $1k.

A light 20 gauge will seem to kick harder than a heavy 12 gauge. Target guns are usually pretty heavy anyway and you won't realize much of a weight savings going with the 20. The 12 will be less expensive to feed.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Don't go cheap on your over/under. Look at your over/under as an investment

You can find used Brownings for about a grand. You can find used Beretta's for 1200-1800 depending on the model.

Stay away from the Silver Rsserves, CZ, Tristar...ect.

If you want a shotgun an Over/under is a great addition to any collection.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad View Post
Don't go cheap on your over/under. Look at your over/under as an investment

You can find used Brownings for about a grand. You can find used Beretta's for 1200-1800 depending on the model.

Stay away from the Silver Rsserves, CZ, Tristar...ect.

If you want a shotgun an Over/under is a great addition to any collection.
That's what I'm realizing. I wouldn't mind getting a top end one for myself, but my lady doesn't shoot enough to justify dropping more money than I have on one for her. I may end up just getting her a new auto duck gun in the meantime
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 AM

I say this with experience in hand. My first O/U was a silver reserve, then I bought a CZ. Sold them both and bought a Browning Citori from Sports Authority for about $900 bucks, brand new...but it never fit me correct and sold it. I bought a Browning 425. Loved the gun (but I sold it) because I wanted one in 20, 28 and 410. I bought a 4 barrel Browning Skeet set and haven't looked back.

I should have bought a nice Browning or Beretta right off the bat. I use my O/U for my competitions and hunting dove and quail.

Good luck man. Don't make my mistakes.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
That's what I'm realizing. I wouldn't mind getting a top end one for myself, but my lady doesn't shoot enough to justify dropping more money than I have on one for her. I may end up just getting her a new auto duck gun in the meantime
I got a low dollar 20 after my high dollar 12. Yes you get what you pay for but the tristar's and CZ's are decent guns. After shooting a very inexpensive 20g a baikal O/U I'm thinking about picking one up in 4.10 as a dove/quail gun.