Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-12-2019, 5:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Ruger PC 9mm Carbine taken out the first time...

Tried this baby with factory 115gr FMJ ammo, factory SR9 10rd magazines, after market (Promag) 17rd (and 17 punched to cap at 15rd) SR9 magazines, reloaded plated 118-124gr with multiple charges... seated as long as we could for M9/SR9 mags, and Glock 33rd happy/fun sicks w/insert swap. All reloads were above mid-range in charge, but none really near max. She was factory-lubed, and I didn't want to lube from scratch, to assist with break-in.
(Hog-Wild during Freedom-Week.)

FUN with 2 red dot sights I used, reflex, and something like a cheap ACOG with a see-through riser.
We MUST have shot about 500rd+ (~250 115gr FMJ Factory ammo initially, 10rd of 9mm defensive loads, and the rest 118-124gr plated reloads) through her, and not one hiccup.

Be advised that you can beat someone to death with 30-33rd fun sticks, as they are heavy, fully loaded with 118-124gr projectiles.

Watching Ruger PCC 9 videos with slow-mo showed that the happy-sticks shimmy a bit, so I was concerned. (They seemed to work flawlessly, but I worry the insert might wear from bouncing around due to this.)
I also worry about Glock fun sticks wearing the mag catch cutout on the mags themselves from the bounce.

I would be happier if they came out with an M9/92F(S) insert for mags, as I have a bunch of those.

The only thing I would change on this is maybe add a recoil pad if you are going to shoot it a lot, as it does come back more solidly than I would have ever thought due to the heavy bolt insert.

Last edited by the86d; 11-12-2019 at 5:35 AM..
Old 11-12-2019, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

There is a 92 mag insert for the PC carbine Brother has that on his. sadly the bolt catch does not work with them. But hey, still nice right ?
Old 11-12-2019, 1:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I just picked up a used one with Glock magazines, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Ordered some 24 rounders from CDNN.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 11-12-2019, 1:55 PM

I love mine . Really fun to shoot .

I wish Ruger came out with one in .45 acp . I would buy it in a sec .
Old 11-12-2019, 2:02 PM

I love mine - I have had the same results with the different types of ammo I have tried, eats everthing.

I'm holding my breath for the 40 cal to be released, I may have to purchase that one as well.
Old 11-12-2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwr View Post
I love mine - I have had the same results with the different types of ammo I have tried, eats everthing.

I'm holding my breath for the 40 cal to be released, I may have to purchase that one as well.
Ummm....http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1569625
Old 11-12-2019, 7:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftone View Post
Yeah, I thought so, but I have 9mm for days, 0 40 Cal/10mm, but now 3 firearms in the house that spit 9mm...
mmm.
Old 11-13-2019, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobpd View Post
I love mine . Really fun to shoot .

I wish Ruger came out with one in .45 acp . I would buy it in a sec .
^^^+1
Old 11-13-2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
There is a 92 mag insert for the PC carbine Brother has that on his. sadly the bolt catch does not work with them. But hey, still nice right ?
May I ask who makes this? I have several Beretta 92 mags and would love this. Checked ShopRuger but of course they don't have it.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf
Old 11-13-2019, 3:19 PM

Mine is super accurate, and runs great on any ammo that I’ve tried...
I have a Holosun 503GU Elite on mine, it has a green 2moa dot surrounded by
a 65moa dot, both or either one separately. It’s awesome!!!

Last edited by checkenbach; 11-13-2019 at 3:22 PM..
Old 11-13-2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwr View Post
I love mine - I have had the same results with the different types of ammo I have tried, eats everything.

MWR: They released the PCC .40 last May and I have had one since then.

There's a whole thread just above this one about my trip to Front Sight last week where I shot mine in a Rifle Class.

That thread descended into a pissing match because I said the .40 was more powerful than a .30 Carbine, and some people took exception to my method of calculating knock down power.. Only a few paid any attention to the story about the class.

I ran my 4 22 Round Glock Mags exclusively and they ran pretty well. The gun will tip a round up and hang it up every so often but I think that is due to one magazine having a problem.

I have 2 31 round mags as well but haven't shot them much. They hang down pretty far and kind of get in the way.

The gun is a joy to shoot! It looks exactly like yours except for the marking on the barrel. What Recoil?

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464964.jpg (37.3 KB, 467 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-13-2019 at 3:38 PM..
Old 11-13-2019, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

If they released the 40sw in the M-lock fore-end configuration, I might be tempted. If they released it in 357sig or even 10mm, I'd be even more inclined. As compelling the 9mm is in both appearance and price, I just can't find a justification for a pistol caliber carbine in my inventory—the foot print of a rifle, without the range or punch.
Old 11-13-2019, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
May I ask who makes this? I have several Beretta 92 mags and would love this. Checked ShopRuger but of course they don't have it.
Via Google search I found this: https://rugerforum.net/ruger-semi-au...ml#post4289825

Not sure if it's for real.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:26 PM

Location: The capital of the wealthiest state, in the most powerful country in the world.

Congrats,
They really are a fun weapon. I put a fastfire 3 on mine and enjoy the plinking. I didn’t notice the recoil.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:57 PM
Calguns Addict

After first 300 flawless rounds, I plan to swap charging handle to left side.
Happy with irons for now, but an Aimpoint Micro would be nice...
IMG_9506.jpg
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-14-2019, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Instead of the Aimpoint Micro, I would get the Holosun 515 and spend the vast price difference on ammo.
Old 11-15-2019, 3:47 PM

Full clip: I tried the charging Handle on the left side but it dug into my back when on the sling. It runs better on the right side and you lock the bolt open using your support hand thumb, adn operate the mag release with it also.

Much faster to clear malfunctions that way. Just sussed all this stuff out in my Rifle Class at Front Sight.

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 11-17-2019, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

As soon as I took her home, and after the lady and daughter shouldered her, the 1st thing I did was put the charging handle on the left side. Close to the basic function of an AR, keeping trigger hand near the trigger, even when locking the bolt, as I am normal person (righty).

Wow, I was just looking at the stock and noticed that the Red Dot was left on (thanks daughter?), dead battery, so I dropped an Energizer Lithium in it and verified red dot function then turned her off and dropped the caps back on the sight.

I broke her open, and wiped the feed-ramp and barrel crown down, about zero carbon to speak of, not even worth cleaning after about 500rd!?!?
REALLY?!?!?!
I pointed the barrel at a light and checked to see if she was dirty there either, and the barrel looked very clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
I REALLY WISH they made an insert for Beretta 92/M9 mags, as I have happy-sticks for those too, but I think Volquartsen, Tandemkross or the like will create one, and it is just a matter of time...

Last edited by the86d; 11-17-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-17-2019, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Full clip: I tried the charging Handle on the left side but it dug into my back when on the sling. It runs better on the right side and you lock the bolt open using your support hand thumb, adn operate the mag release with it also.

Much faster to clear malfunctions that way. Just sussed all this stuff out in my Rifle Class at Front Sight.

Randy

Seems like the aftermarket should come up with a folding handle.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

A box magazine is one of the harder parts of a firearm design to get right, that’s why Ruger made it work with Glock mags. The difficult magazine engineering had already been done.

Same deal with the Ruger American rimfire I have, it uses their 10/22 magazines which again simplified the new firearm design process quite a bit.

I’ve heard the same that they’re reliable, even if they’re not elegant.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
Seems like the aftermarket should come up with a folding handle.
That would be cool!

My main gripe with the handle on the left side was it digs into your back when the gun is on the sling, and since you will have the gun on the sling alot that gets old real fast. Guys, you've got to set up your guns so they are comfortable to be around. If a gun has sharp edges poking you or is just not comfortable to carry, you won't do well with it and and sooner or later you'll not want to use it anymore. You figure out what's wrong by handling the gun alot, like in front of the TV at night. for several nights until you are satisfied.

With respect to running the gun all of this matters alot during type 3 malfunction clearance. First; Operating the bolt with the left hand and locking it back is awkward. 2.Then you have to move forward and release the mag, 3. rack the bolt to clear the offending rounds, 4. get a new mag or reinsert the old mag if you retained it (with your left hand?), 5.and then run the bolt. All in that order,and all with your left hand.,

Point being your left hand is going to be really busy doing all those tasks instead of breaking it up between hands.

You can't reach the mag release with your right hand without breaking your firing grip and you really can't reach the bolt latch either to do it very easily .

The way We sussed this out in the class,(three instructors participating as they all liked the gun alot) was to run the bolt with my right hand, while latching the bolt with my left thumb, then move the hand forward to drop the magazine with left thumb, rack rack rack with right hand, get a new mag insert it with left hand, and the rack the bolt with right hand.

All you have to do to release the bolt on a full magazine is bump the bolt handle backwards slightly. Any rearward pressure drops the latch instantly.

These guns are in at Front Sight as of 2 weeks ago. All that has to happen is to get them approved to take the test. Since they are only shooting Practical Rifle at 100 yards this should not even be an issue and I will keep after them until it's approved.

The main point is,,, will a 9MM or .40 S&W make a hole in a paper target at 100 yards??? I think so.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-19-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 11-17-2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Tried this baby with factory 115gr FMJ ammo, factory SR9 10rd magazines, after market (Promag) 17rd (and 17 punched to cap at 15rd) SR9 magazines, reloaded plated 118-124gr with multiple charges... seated as long as we could for M9/SR9 mags, and Glock 33rd happy/fun sicks w/insert swap. All reloads were above mid-range in charge, but none really near max. She was factory-lubed, and I didn't want to lube from scratch, to assist with break-in.
(Hog-Wild during Freedom-Week.)

FUN with 2 red dot sights I used, reflex, and something like a cheap ACOG with a see-through riser.
We MUST have shot about 500rd+ (~250 115gr FMJ Factory ammo initially, 10rd of 9mm defensive loads, and the rest 118-124gr plated reloads) through her, and not one hiccup.

Be advised that you can beat someone to death with 30-33rd fun sticks, as they are heavy, fully loaded with 118-124gr projectiles.

Watching Ruger PCC 9 videos with slow-mo showed that the happy-sticks shimmy a bit, so I was concerned. (They seemed to work flawlessly, but I worry the insert might wear from bouncing around due to this.)
I also worry about Glock fun sticks wearing the mag catch cutout on the mags themselves from the bounce.

I would be happier if they came out with an M9/92F(S) insert for mags, as I have a bunch of those.

The only thing I would change on this is maybe add a recoil pad if you are going to shoot it a lot, as it does come back more solidly than I would have ever thought due to the heavy bolt insert.
I took mine out Friday and ran about 150 through it. Such a fun, and accurate gun. I too ran 33 round happy sticks, no issues.... I started my range session with 20 rounds of 240 gr 44 mag at 1400 fps, so recoil was not an issue. If I could ask for anything it would be for HK mags compatibility. I am having to re-think my travel / carry weapons.
Glad you are having fun with this!!
Old 11-18-2019, 3:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...My main gripe with the handle on the left side was it digs into your back when the gun is on the sling, and since you will have the gun on the sling alot that gets old real fast. Guys, you've got to set up your guns so they are comfortable to be around. If a gun has sharp edges poking you or is just not comfortable to carry, you won't do well with it and and sooner or later you'll not want to use it anymore. You figure out what's wrong by handling the gun alot, like in front of the TV at night. for several nights until you are satisfied.
I think taking the mag out, and tightening up the sling might help...

Quote:
With respect to running the gun all of this matters alot during type 3 malfunction clearance. First; Operating the bolt with the left hand and locking it back is awkward. 2.Then you have to move forward and release the mag, 3. rack the bolt to clear the offending rounds, 4. get a new mag or reinsert the old mag if you retained it (with your left hand?), 5.and then run the bolt. All in that order.

Point being your left hand is going to be really busy doing all those tasks instead of breaking it up between hands.

You can't reach the mag release with your right hand without breaking your firing grip and you really can't reach the bolt latch either to do it very easily...
I don't run 3-gun, but hate jams, and if the 1st ~500 rounds are any indication of if I am going to be needing to clear jams, I shouldn't have to... I do however remember rapid fire on the USMC rifle range. If I have a jam, I can remove the mag w/ my left hand, and pull the charging handle back w/ my hand upside down like on an M60/M249 saw/M240 (but other hand of course) while holding the mag, or rack it a few times, drop the mag (or drop it in back pocket) and if I need to lock her bolt back, change my right-hand grip to lock the bolt all in minimal seconds. If I were worried about this, I'd just get a longer charging handle, and this would allow more positive contact in my shoulder, while holding her back. Stuck in Cali, with a rifle stock, not an w/ an ergonomic AR-15...
One operates the pump on a shotgun with the left hand, and the pump-release is in about the same place on my shotgun as the bolt catch on my PC Carbine.

Last edited by the86d; 11-18-2019 at 3:50 AM..
Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Just because the gun is running well doesn't mean it won't malfunction some time. Ammo is the biggest offender and there is plenty of crap out there .
My gun was malfunctioning only with S&B ammo. Winchester ran clean as do my reloads. But I still had to cope with those Malfunctions during the class.

Just trying to give you the benefit of my experience at Front Sight with the gun. There is learning curve with any new gun, and learning the quirks of the gun and how to effectively cope with them is fun and good practice.

Randy