Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 09-21-2013, 4:32 PM

Default Tips for first timer at BLM land?

Not sure where I'm going to go yet, but I have the day off of work on Monday so I would like to try out one of public/BLM land spots in my area. I'm still a bit of a noob to the shooting world though, and this will be my first time out at one of these places so I wanted to know if anyone can school me on the proper procedures, rules, etiquette, etc.

From what I have read in other posts, I gather that you just find a spot you like and have at it. That seems a little too good to be true though, and I definitely don't want to inadvertently put myself or anyone else in danger with my ignorance.

What is the NRA doing for YOU in YOUR local area? Click to find out.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.
Old 09-21-2013, 6:14 PM

1) BE SAFE , watch were you are shooting and OTHERS. muzzle awareness at all times.
2) be sure its legal.
3) Clean up after yourself ----- very important to keep them open.
4) have fun
5) If you find a good legal spot ,intant message some stud from calguns by the name msand951 and tell him were it is.
Old 09-21-2013, 6:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Bring a shovel for each shooter
Bring at least 1 large fire extinguisher

Clean a good 10' path on all sides of the impact area

No shooting from roads or across roads

Have a good back stop.

Bring a tarp to help you collect your spent brass

Besides that- you can check in with the local rangers office before your trip. Ask questions on where you can shoot and ask for any other advice. Write down the name, number and notes of the call - toss that info in your range bag

Have fun

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 09-21-2013, 6:36 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Previous two posts covered it. Be prepared at any time to be paid a visit by BLM officials. Also, bring water!
Mark 16:16
Old 09-23-2013, 9:50 PM

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, some A**hole tried to steel my truck out of my driveway on Sunday and busted my ignition all to hell, so I didn't get to go shooting today. But I will keep this stuff in mind for when I do get to go out, hopefully soon.

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The Lord will do what is good in his sight" -2nd Samuel 10:12

Stop worrying about the zombie apocalypse, it ain't gonna happen. The moron apocalypse has already begun though.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Bring a shovel for each shooter
Bring at least 1 large fire extinguisher

Clean a good 10' path on all sides of the impact area

No shooting from roads or across roads

Have a good back stop.

Bring a tarp to help you collect your spent brass

Besides that- you can check in with the local rangers office before your trip. Ask questions on where you can shoot and ask for any other advice. Write down the name, number and notes of the call - toss that info in your range bag

Have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirte View Post
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, some A**hole tried to steel my truck out of my driveway on Sunday and busted my ignition all to hell, so I didn't get to go shooting today. But I will keep this stuff in mind for when I do get to go out, hopefully soon.
Lemme try to summarize the situation if I may, based on this.

So Mr Dirte hitches a ride over to the local rent-a-car site and asks for a cheap compact. YES full insurance please. Sign the paperwork, get the keys. Go to car, open trunk.

Pack into rental car:

Shovels
Tarp
Guns
Everyone is smiling.

Yep, pretty sure that'll get you put on a list.
Old 09-24-2013, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Lemme try to summarize the situation if I may, based on this.

So Mr Dirte hitches a ride over to the local rent-a-car site and asks for a cheap compact. YES full insurance please. Sign the paperwork, get the keys. Go to car, open trunk.

Pack into rental car:

Shovels
Tarp
Guns
Everyone is smiling.

Yep, pretty sure that'll get you put on a list.
LOL. That would be classic!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 AM

The BLM Rangers can be tough I'm told. Don't underestimate their seriousness if you see them coming. Be sure that all your weapons are legal as well as your high capacity magazines.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Calguns Addict

well, I'll level with you. That's an inside joke. A couple months ago, my inlaws came up to help us finish our front yard landscaping. FIL brought some toys in case we finished early. On the grapevine, their car broke down. They got a tow back to LA and they rented a car. And sure enough, when they packed the trunk of the rental car, they tossed in: a shovel, a tarp, and some guns.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:03 AM

My one and only tip is don't drink alcohol.
Old 09-26-2013, 6:36 AM

Don't forget a table also. It'll be convenient. Bring chairs plenty of water and a copy of the flow chart .
Old 09-26-2013, 6:43 AM

A pop up tent for some shade can be great as well. Like the 99$ Walmart special. Bring plenty of water and maybe a couple power bars.
Old 09-26-2013, 9:11 AM

Find the BLM office that is responsible for the general area where you want to shoot. Check with them FIRST for locations, any restrictions, and any other pertinent info.

Restrictions? Well, there ARE certain areas where target shooting is forbidden. Of course, shooting across roads is illegal. Also, they impose restrictions during the fire hazard season, and for areas where endangered vegetation is located. There have also been restrictions on shooting areas due to endangered animals having been killed (desert tortoises). Do NOT shoot at "rocks" that move very slowly!

Other than that, they may tell you about certain areas where "undocumented" immigrants/future Democrat voters (I had to throw that in) have been spotted, or if there has been any reports of road-side meth laboratories in the area.

When you arrive at a location, test your cell phone to see if anyone can receive your phone call, and tell someone where you are located. Take plenty of water!

Lastly, be sure to clean up the location before you leave, and double-check to see if you forgot to pack something back into your vehicle.
Old 09-26-2013, 9:22 AM

Clean up your mess
Old 09-26-2013, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Remember to not lean a loaded weapon against any vehicle. Have fun
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM

"Future Democrats" - lol

Again, thanks for all of the great advice. I definitely wouldn't have thought of some of this stuff.

Old 09-28-2013, 8:10 AM

This our set-up when shooting with the family. The only thing I'd add to the list is a cooler, some toilet paper, and sunscreen. An accquantance told me about going to BLM and smokin a doob while they broke camp. he's got a card, but was unable to comprehend that BLM is FEDERAL land and his card was useless. Needless to say, I've turned down multiple invites to accompany them shooting. Not just a possession charge, but possession with a firearm also. No thanks. Park no more than 20' off the road, stay on approved routes only, and have fun when you get out there! Take more ammo than you think you need too. It goes fast in an unrestricted environment!

"Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers

Last edited by covingtonhouse; 03-09-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Old 09-28-2013, 2:53 PM
CGSSA Associate

Many good points in this thread. Ill add this - dont drive through or park on any brush. The catalytic converter gets extremely hot and can easily ignite it.
Old 09-30-2013, 9:22 PM

The closest BLM land is probably Hodge Road. About 55 miles if you are in Etiwanda.. Steele Peak may be closer, but haven't been there yet. Stay west of the 15. Right off the freeway is the berm that most shoot at. Fine if you don't need to go out more than about 25 yards. If you go down about a mile or so, there are a few more areas where you can get out to 50 or 100 yards easily. Never seen the BLM LEO's out there the times we have been out. As stated above, take water, food and if not too windy, an EZ Up. A portable table and chairs help too.
We take trashbags and a leaf rake to take up the shotgun shells and stuff left by the ones to lazy and disrespectful to clean up after themselves. There are the morons who bring TV's electronics, plate glass, small appliances, etc, so don't be one of them.
The weather is getting cooler out there so now is the time to get out before it gets cold...
Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't trash the place, don't shoot appliances or random junk like glass bottles, don't start a fire by shooting steel core ammo.

Find a safe spot to shoot, make sure you are ON BLM land, don't booze up, and enjoy.

Don't be the douche and shoot up signs either.

People do all sorts of stuff out there, but respect the land and don't trash the place. Its home to many including campers and riders / off roaders.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Plus one on the tarp for clean up

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon!
-CK Medic 538
Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Be respectable and clean up after your selves.
Leave the place cleaner than you found it.
Old 10-01-2013, 8:29 PM

Bring a friend. Buddy system.