Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-17-2016, 8:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default PA 4-14x FFP Rgrid reticle 1425 yards!

Video below!

https://youtu.be/Q6aOTICqT5Q

-Dimitri

Link for more info msrp$279.99!
http://www.primaryarms.com/pa4-14xff...14xffp-r-grid/
Old 05-17-2016, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 05-18-2016, 3:26 AM
Calguns Addict

What he doesn't say is that man sized target is 47 inches across.

Just kidding. In all serious, how large is that target? standard man sized target?
Old 05-18-2016, 4:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
What he doesn't say is that man sized target is 47 inches across.

Just kidding. In all serious, how large is that target? standard man sized target?

I believe its 18"x30"
Old 05-18-2016, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Then I am impressed.
Old 06-04-2016, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaryArms View Post
There is no way that target in the picture is 1425 yards away with a 14x max powered scope. 14x at 1425 yards on an 18" width target will basically look like a slightly large white dot.

Not even Schmidt & Bender's look like that image above at 1425 yards away....did you accidentally select the wrong pic link when posting the picture? It's not the same target as the video, which really is 1425 yds...

Here is a 1000 yard target @ 14x magnification and a very similarly same sized target:

Night and day different in target size.

Still, very impressive shooting and I'm sure the scope works well
Old 06-04-2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
There is no way that target in the picture is 1425 yards away with a 14x max powered scope. 14x at 1425 yards on an 18" width target will basically look like a slightly large white dot.
I don't think it was ever intended to be, just a demonstration of what the reticle looks like and then the videos is of how it performs.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

Not even Schmidt & Bender's look like that image above at 1425 yards away....did you accidentally select the wrong pic link when posting the picture? It's not the same target as the video, which really is 1425 yds...
Obviously not as it is an FFP scope and the hashmarks indicate that the target is about 5 mil wide. At 1,425, 5 mil is going to be about 250 inches.

The target is about 100 yards away if it is 18" wide at 5 mil.

I believe that Dimitri showed the picture that way to illustrate the reticle design. The post was a bit misleading in that respect.
Old 06-05-2016, 9:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Obviously not as it is an FFP scope and the hashmarks indicate that the target is about 5 mil wide. At 1,425, 5 mil is going to be about 250 inches.

The target is about 100 yards away if it is 18" wide at 5 mil.

I believe that Dimitri showed the picture that way to illustrate the reticle design. The post was a bit misleading in that respect.

Lol knowing how to mil is important! Tx Jmp it was just to show the reticle
Old 06-05-2016, 9:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Here is a 1000 yard target @ 14x magnification and a very similarly same sized target:

Night and day different in target size.

Still, very impressive shooting and I'm sure the scope works well

Not sure if you know there is autorange on the top right for 18" This is like a 100 yards
In order to be at 1000 u would be at .5 mil
Old 06-05-2016, 9:36 AM

I wish I was better at long distance. I'm sure all those marks on the reticle have their purpose, it just looks so busy to me and I don't even know what they are for.

I saw your 6-30 was back in stock the other day...so tempting.
Old 06-05-2016, 5:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Yeah it's for good reason. That sight picture with the Primary Arms reticle bukkake would be a mess on that target at that range.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

At that range (100yards) your using the horse shoe and chevron. The grid portion allows for exact tracking with out having to touch turrets, no need for zero stop, no need for rev marks its why the military is transitioning to that style reticle. I hope that helps..
Old 06-05-2016, 6:23 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
At that range (100yards) your using the horse shoe and chevron. The grid portion allows for exact tracking with out having to touch turrets, no need for zero stop, no need for rev marks its why the military is transitioning to that style reticle. I hope that helps..
I was referring to the target at 1425 yards.......

Old 06-05-2016, 6:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
I was referring to the target at 1425 yards.......

So we post a video hitting cold bore at $1425 yards with a $279.99 scope and that is your response!!
Lol ok yeah your right.. Hey tx for your input
Old 06-05-2016, 8:51 PM

Nice !

Some constructive criticism........most people would assume the scope picture to be at 1425 yards the way it is worded.My first thought was not nice scope or clear picture, my first thought was no way that is 1425 yards in that picture.......starts me off with skepticism as my first impression.

While a excellent shot, that has little to do with the scope.Especially a fast aquisition horseshoe semi auto style scope on a bolt gun. Much more product information would be nice on the product page. ....... maybe a ruff estimate of what yardage that takes common calibers to in the reticle or how many inches of drop at 1000 yards it covers.

Having reamed you a new one, thanks for posting this, as a budget level scope I would have purchased this instead of the vortex crossfire 2.

I am a big fan of christmas tree reticles and this is the cheapest I have seen any scope with one........tempting to just buy this to add to my scope inventory, but I just purchased the crossfire.....wish I would have seen this first as it is approx the same price.

Might still pick it up as I am adding optics to most of my rifles now.

While that scope could go on any rifle, I see it as ar-15/ar-10 scope due to the low zoom,horseshoe and christmas tree for fast follow up shots and quick aquisition, but still enuff zoom in a FFP to reach out as far as your cartridge will allow.

It is what I was looking for in that price range......

Last edited by Unretarded; 06-05-2016 at 8:58 PM..
Old 06-05-2016, 9:47 PM
Banned

It seems to me the most attractive selling point re this PA scope is the FFP reticle at that price point.

Last edited by ifilef; 06-05-2016 at 11:35 PM..
Old 06-05-2016, 9:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifilef View Post
It seems to me the most attractive selling point to this PA scope is the FFP reticle at that price point.

Indeed!

Here is some info on the reticle

https://youtu.be/SAwGcx-QHdc
Old 06-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
So we post a video hitting cold bore at $1425 yards with a $279.99 scope and that is your response!!
Lol ok yeah your right.. Hey tx for your input
Actually, it's a shame that it was a cold bore shot. It doesn't matter how good your scope is since coldbore hits, at that distance, rely on a fair amount of luck.

Really, I think it's because there are "holders" and there are "dialers". Dimitri seems to be mostly a "holder", and this scope is geared toward "holders". Most people are some blend of the two. These "holder" reticles are good for shorter to intermediate range shooting where you mostly hold for better speed. After a certain distance, you really prefer dialing the target in as the hold becomes too large.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's a shame that it was a cold bore shot. It doesn't matter how good your scope is since coldbore hits, at that distance, rely on a fair amount of luck.

Really, I think it's because there are "holders" and there are "dialers". Dimitri seems to be mostly a "holder", and this scope is geared toward "holders". Most people are some blend of the two. These "holder" reticles are good for shorter to intermediate range shooting where you mostly hold for better speed. After a certain distance, you really prefer dialing the target in as the hold becomes too large.

That`s how I see it too, plus once you get into 10 to 14 mils hold over on max zoom you will be in the worst part of the glass to be using at long distances....the outer ring of the glass on max zoom in a budget scope is not ideal.

I like the scope and it does fill a need, should be a good seller and I will more than likely get one as I have a couple rifles that it would work on.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Here is the full video, I have never found cold bore shots to be luck, cold bore mapping tends to have me on as well. Looks like he hit it over and over. He actually dialed in at 1000 yards and held oh I don't remember exactly I think 6 mils or so.
But you have to admit for a $279.99 scope with a reticle like that in FFP is a pretty good
deal!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Here is the full video, I have never found cold bore shots to be luck, cold bore mapping tends to have me on as well. Looks like he hit it over and over. He actually dialed in at 1000 yards and held oh I don't remember exactly I think 6 mils or so.
But you have to admit for a $279.99 scope with a reticle like that in FFP is a pretty good
deal!
It also dials in elevation and windage for 1000 yards ?.......does not mention MIL range of adjustements in item description....sounded like it had very little.

If it had all that info in the item description I might have already hit buy it now.

Maybe it is there, I just have massive web blockers installed.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unretarded View Post
It also dials in elevation and windage for 1000 yards ?.......does not mention MIL range of adjustements in item description....sounded like it had very little.

If it had all that info in the item description I might have already hit buy it now.

Maybe it is there, I just have massive web blockers installed.

Yeah mil/mil turrets its the same scope that the military arms channel used on their 1000 yard gun under $1000. Also same optic used by Ken Neans to place in the finals of the Chris Kyle sniper comp but using the ACSS HUD DMR .308 reticle version

https://youtu.be/r0oLPFNWCLE
Old 06-07-2016, 3:13 PM

I've used the PA 4-14x44 FFP scope for a couple years now, but mine has the plain mil dot reticle. They still sell for $229.99 today, just as they did a couple years ago when I bought mine. For the money, I've just never found anything that can beat it at that price point.
Old 06-07-2016, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That`s how I see it too, plus once you get into 10 to 14 mils hold over on max zoom you will be in the worst part of the glass to be using at long distances....the outer ring of the glass on max zoom in a budget scope is not ideal.

I like the scope and it does fill a need, should be a good seller and I will more than likely get one as I have a couple rifles that it would work on.
Once you dial 10 to 14 mils, the scopes erector tube is going to be pointed right through that same bad patch of glass as well. Given the choice between dialing or holding with a budget optic, I'd opt for hold overs just to take the budget turrets out of the equation.
Old 06-07-2016, 6:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Once you dial 10 to 14 mils, the scopes erector tube is going to be pointed right through that same bad patch of glass as well. Given the choice between dialing or holding with a budget optic, I'd opt for hold overs just to take the budget turrets out of the equation.

Bad glass? The glass is great! For $279.99 your not going to find anything as clear or a FFP with this type reticle

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 06-07-2016 at 7:03 PM..
Old 06-07-2016, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Bad glass? The glass is great! For $279.99 your not going to find anything as clear or a FFP with this type reticle
Not bad glass on the entire scope, but the glass approaching the edge of the lens is never as good as the center regardless of how great the glass quality is overall. I was just trying to explain how you end up looking through the same section of glass to get a given elevation adjustment, doesn't matter if you are holding over or dialing.
Old 06-07-2016, 7:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Not bad glass on the entire scope, but the glass approaching the edge of the lens is never as good as the center regardless of how great the glass quality is overall. I was just trying to explain how you end up looking through the same section of glass to get a given elevation adjustment, doesn't matter if you are holding over or dialing.

Thats at 14x at 10-6 your not on the edge anymore.

The scope has beat out some of the best in the world in the 2016 Chris Kyle snip comp.
Ken Neans from insane accuracy using the ACSS HUD version made it into the finals! Yes with a $279.99 optic!

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 06-07-2016 at 7:22 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

What size tube? I may pick this up as a temporary scope for my 6.5 Creedmoor until I get something better, then slap this on my 300BLK rifle.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
What size tube? I may pick this up as a temporary scope for my 6.5 Creedmoor until I get something better, then slap this on my 300BLK rifle.

30mm
Old 06-08-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
I thought something similar but after using the regular Mil/Mil version I said, "eff it," and decided that I'll just keep it there. Shot off ~100 round of 6.5 CM this past weekend working on a DOPE sheet then farting around. Once out to 1000 yds I dialed it back to my 600 yd DOPE and smacked it ~2 inches above dead center. Then back to 100 yds zero still good, then up the hill to 900 yds and a center hit on what looked to be a 10" gong. Not even worth the effort for me to get something "better" unless PA made a 50mm version of this one.

Only things I would want changed on the scope would be an easier-turning parallax adjustment and more positive detents on the elevation/windage turrets. I plan on buying more from PA.
Old 06-08-2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks, makes perfect sense.....that reticle should even get a 55 grain 556 to 1000, so no dialing needed, unless you wanted.
Old 06-08-2016, 3:07 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Thanks, makes perfect sense.....that reticle should even get a 55 grain 556 to 1000, so no dialing needed, unless you wanted.

You can even dial in and shoot dead on chevron tip

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 06-08-2016 at 8:46 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 9:35 PM

Just talked my brother into one, told him if he did not like it, I would give him the cash for it..............
Old 06-08-2016, 9:35 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Just talked my brother into one, told him if he did not like it, I would give him the cash for it..............

We have a great return policy
Old 06-09-2016, 7:17 AM

Don't listen to the detractors! I have the ACSS HUD DMR on my .308 AR and love it.
Old 06-09-2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
We have a great return policy
If he does not want it, I sure do.......especially since he would be financing it untill I had the extra money....LOL

But lets say he did want to return it, there is no way to really know if you like it or not untill you use it.

Say he unboxes, mounts and takes it to the local range for the day, then decided he did not want it.

How would a return in that situation go ?
Old 06-11-2016, 1:55 PM

Scope arrived today!

Super fast delivery !
Old 06-11-2016, 2:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Scope arrived today!

Super fast delivery !

How do you like it?
Old 06-11-2016, 3:23 PM

Very interesting scope Dmitri. I have read a lot of strong reviews on your products, I will be buying a couple shorter magnification scopes for AR's in the coming month from you.

To me weight is very important as well since even on my 4-16x scope I bought a year ago for AR10 (LMT MWS), I don't plan to use just as a bench rifle- and many of the 4-16x or similar mag scopes out there are over 30 oz.

Very interesting product line you have.
Old 06-11-2016, 3:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo399 View Post
Very interesting scope Dmitri. I have read a lot of strong reviews on your products, I will be buying a couple shorter magnification scopes for AR's in the coming month from you.

To me weight is very important as well since even on my 4-16x scope I bought a year ago for AR10 (LMT MWS), I don't plan to use just as a bench rifle- and many of the 4-16x or similar mag scopes out there are over 30 oz.

Very interesting product line you have.

Tx!