Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default CTA has good offerings, but can't find instructor profiles?

When I signed-up to CTA (California Tactical Academy) for the JJ Racaza class I took, as well, the DWB matches, I also subscribed to their newsletter.

There is no doubt that CTA has good offerings for competition training (some of which I would like to try if it weren't for scheduling conflicts):
  • Robert Vogel
  • Eric Grauffel
  • Frank Proctor
  • Kita Busse
  • Etc...

However, the other non-competition offerings, albeit sounding good, like the Extended Range Handgun or the NAVY Seal Handgun - I cannot find any instructor profiles.

I am curious - is it by design? Is this a good thing? Or not? It be said - except for Front Sight, all the classes I have ever took had instructor profiles...

Thoughts?

_
Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 AM

Not based on Science, but my deduction is that any group bringing in guest instructors of that caliber probably has staff instructors who also shoot at a high level. Sort of takes-one-to-know-one scenario.

Did you happen to write an AAR on JJ's course or any other one's you've done? I'm always interested in AAR's from people who can compare one quality course/trainer to another.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 10-26-2019, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfenhammer View Post
Did you happen to write an AAR on JJ's course or any other one's you've done? I'm always interested in AAR's from people who can compare one quality course/trainer to another.
Sorry for my late response, I was without power for two days (even if my area is way way away from winds/fires)...

Anyways, yes, my most recent two were:

JJ Racaza: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1484070
Larry Vickers: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1508684

So far, JJ has been the best (which, of course is 'subjective') instructor I have had. Albeit, he's quite 'expensive.' But luckily, got in for FREE.

Oh, yes, recently took my second "Master's Class" with ITTS - and this time, won the "Man-on-Man" by 1-sec and a Perfect Score (No Miss/No Extra Shots) (besting other ITTS veterans). All I did compared to last time? SLOW down - this is not a match simulation, but a real-life tactical situation. Misses are NOT accepted.

I will be taking another class next weekend with the "Dry Fire Guy" - Steve Anderson...

Considering my circumstance that I don't have access to ranges that would allow for certain drills, this is something I am looking forward to....

_
Old 10-27-2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Sorry for my late response, I was without power for two days (even if my area is way way away from winds/fires)...

Anyways, yes, my most recent two were:

JJ Racaza: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1484070
Larry Vickers: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1508684

So far, JJ has been the best (which, of course is 'subjective') instructor I have had. Albeit, he's quite 'expensive.' But luckily, got in for FREE.

Oh, yes, recently took my second "Master's Class" with ITTS - and this time, won the "Man-on-Man" by 1-sec and a Perfect Score (No Miss/No Extra Shots)
I will be taking another class next weekend with the "Dry Fire Guy" - Steve Anderson...

Considering my circumstance that I don't have access to ranges that would allow for certain drills, this is something I am looking forward to....

_
I think you'll like Steve Anderson's class especially if you are doing USPSA matches. Haven't trained with JJ but heard nothing but good. Uncle Scotty at ITTS is still a great resource. He gets panned sometimes for being old school but you can't argue with experience, and I think it's a case of if-it-works-don't-mess-with-it. Good job on your win!

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 11-05-2019, 2:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
When I signed-up to CTA (California Tactical Academy) for the JJ Racaza class I took, as well, the DWB matches, I also subscribed to their newsletter.

There is no doubt that CTA has good offerings for competition training (some of which I would like to try if it weren't for scheduling conflicts):
  • Robert Vogel
  • Eric Grauffel
  • Frank Proctor
  • Kita Busse
  • Etc...

However, the other non-competition offerings, albeit sounding good, like the Extended Range Handgun or the NAVY Seal Handgun - I cannot find any instructor profiles.

I am curious - is it by design? Is this a good thing? Or not? It be said - except for Front Sight, all the classes I have ever took had instructor profiles...

Thoughts?

_
Hey there! Usually you'll find instructor bios at the end of the page in full description. We did update the ones you mentioned with bios. Thanks for the tip Great to know you enjoyed the class with JJ! Stay tuned to the newsletters and hope to meet you back at the range.
-CTA-