Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 08-23-2013, 7:04 AM

Default Less than 1%

Served 6 years in the infantry. Son left for the Marines on Monday. Daughter graduated Army Basic yesterday. I heard an interesting statistic.

Less than 1% of Americans will serve our military. I was like, WTF Over? That's a small club.

It also explains so much.
Old 08-23-2013, 8:18 PM

Actually .5% serving currently and less than 10% have served.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/op...anted=all&_r=0

I know right small club but less are needed fewer more powerful aircrafts, ships, tanks.
When I was a recruiter it was hard to get people who fit the criteria healthy, fit, can read and write, drug free, limited criminal past.

Last edited by todd2968; 08-23-2013 at 8:23 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

screw the Occupy morons we are the 1% who have served their country not used it at the cost of others.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 08-23-2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2968 View Post

I know right small club but less are needed fewer more powerful aircrafts, ships, tanks.
When I was a recruiter it was hard to get people who fit the criteria healthy, fit, can read and write, drug free, limited criminal past.
Yea one of my buddies who is a current recruiter says less than 1 in 4 people that come through his door even qualify.
Old 08-24-2013, 2:28 AM

Now they are reducing number again I would think they will really tighten up the standards...no more waivers!

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 08-24-2013, 3:05 AM
Veteran Member

I couldnt join the usmc this year because of my forearm tattoo. Goddamnit. I was and still am bitter. The usmc is a family legacy. Now I am the first to break it because of a tattoo. Or maybe a lazy recruiter could be a factor as well? Soon as I walked in he said "sorry man"
Old 08-24-2013, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfifer View Post
I couldnt join the usmc this year because of my forearm tattoo. Goddamnit. I was and still am bitter. The usmc is a family legacy. Now I am the first to break it because of a tattoo. Or maybe a lazy recruiter could be a factor as well? Soon as I walked in he said "sorry man"
Or you should get it removed. I'm tired of the "I have tattoo's. Darn! I want to join so bad! But they won't let me" Excuses

If you REALLY wanted to join, you'd have them removed, or do what I did, wait til AFTER you were in, graduated, then got tattoos.

The only person who messed up the family legacy was you, not the recruiter.
Old 08-24-2013, 9:46 AM

If you KNEW you wanted to go in the Corps has part of a legacy, why did you get inked in a visible spot?

Don't blame a recruiter.....blame yourself. Get it lasered off and quit crying about it.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
If you KNEW you wanted to go in the Corps has part of a legacy, why did you get inked in a visible spot?

Don't blame a recruiter.....blame yourself. Get it lasered off and quit crying about it.
This. I spent my formative years playing sports and getting ready for the day I'd follow the family tradition and be US Army. My father and all his brothers served, my grandfather served, and the family history of service goes all the way to the Revolution and before. Sure, I did some dumb things, like any dumb teenager does, but nothing that would have stopped my ability to join when it was time. I took the ASVAB before I graduated. I was told everything except rotor wing flight was open to me due to my vision. Then my medical records tripped me up. Asthma treatments every year for 2 weeks in late spring after I was 13 that was gone by the time I was 18, and didn't stop me from playing baseball, running track, playing football, boxing or martial arts. But, it was a defined rule, during the mid 80's when the military was reducing numbers and the DEP wait time was over a year. Can't hide it either, because it was done in Army medical facilities on several bases.

Some of us got bounced for things we couldn't control. Getting a tattoo is a dumb thing the person has full control over.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 08-24-2013, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

he never wanted to join. hes that guy you always hear talk about military things, then asked if he was in and replies with "naw, but I always wanted to, except the recruiter told me that this tattoo would never let me in. turns out he was lying and now im too old"

I know your kind.
Old 08-24-2013, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post

he wont. ever.
Old 08-24-2013, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Considering Reserve and National Guard, we have ~2,300,000 service members. Still under 1% though, but not .5% either. 10% sounds about right, given that there are fewer and fewer people from the draft era left.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 08-24-2013, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Lasering wont help. Recruiter said its similar to hiding my past. But I got a good job on the island, and I dont want to move away.

It wasnt so much a legacy as I just wanted to. My dad has served 22 years, and grandpa 10.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Lasering wont help. Recruiter said its similar to hiding my past. But I got a good job on the island, and I dont want to move away.

It wasnt so much a legacy as I just wanted to. My dad has served 22 years, and grandpa 10.
From that comment (as an ex-recruiter) you have something on your arm that is either gang related, racial, or inappropriate, or laser would have been an option.
If I am way off base (but i don't think i am)even if it is a family legacy try other branches
Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I'd say your recruiter is full of *****. A tattoo is not medical or criminal history. save up a couple grand, remove it, and get your butt on over to San Diego. You'll make that money back in no time.
Old 08-25-2013, 7:10 AM

If the US made 2 years of service (job corps or military) mandatory this country may have a chance. Right now it is full of a bunch of selfish pussies.

Ft bragg 95-99
Old 08-25-2013, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
I'd say your recruiter is full of *****. A tattoo is not medical or criminal history. save up a couple grand, remove it, and get your butt on over to San Diego. You'll make that money back in no time.
I would say that HE is full of crap.
that's a huge lie what he said, and even if it were REMOTELY true, I would STILL have it removed, wait about a year and talk to a different recruiter(since he will eventually be replaced by someone else) quite possibly at another recruiting station.

all of us veterans in here know people in our hometowns just like you.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

It depends on the times. Sometimes the military needs bodies and sometimes they do not.

I went down to the induction center in 2004 with one of my daughters. They were signing up a boy with down syndrome and a girl 4 ft 9. Later the max age was increased to 42. One woman 39 joined that had two teenage children. Another woman 40 joined with her 19 year old son, buddy program.

Most states have a Military Reserve, State Guard or an auxiliary to the National Guard so that is an option to serve.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I think you only be allowed to vote if you serve in the military minimum 2 years a dishonorable discharge you can't vote period.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 08-26-2013, 2:00 PM

Default Less than 1%

I am trying to join the navy right now , but I am to big. I weigh 235 and I am 5'11" I am not a big fat guy, but I do weight train daily and my 1.5 mile is 11.30 . I need to loose an inch off my waist line an I'm in ! I am going in weekly to check my progress and hopefully I will be accepted soon
I want to be part of the 1,5 or 10%.

Last edited by Jersedge88; 09-20-2013 at 1:43 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I think you only be allowed to vote if you serve in the military minimum 2 years a dishonorable discharge you can't vote period.
Do a little Constitution amending ay? Personally, I served to protect and defend, not take rights away.

Proudly initiated in the Class of '93 CPO Initiation USN, and I've drunk more beer and pissed more blood, banged more quiff and busted more ***, than all you numbnuts* put together.
*Only applies if your nuts are currently numb.

"It ain't all beer 'n skittles." Carroll "Lex" LeFon, CAPT. USN (Ret) 1961-2012
Old 08-26-2013, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersedge88 View Post
I am trying to join the navy right now , but I am to big. I weigh 235 and I am 5'11" I am not a big fat guy, but I do weight train daily and my 1.5 mile is 11.30 . I need to loose an inch off my waist line an I'm in !
I told the recruiter I had an inhaler when I was younger ( like 6 or 7 ) and he kinda gave me some flack about that but come to find out I was never diagnosed with asthma. I am going in weekly to check my progress and hopefully I will be accepted soon
I want to be part of the 1,5 or 10%.
Good luck, train hard, keep your ears open, and your mouth shut and you'll do fine.

Proudly initiated in the Class of '93 CPO Initiation USN, and I've drunk more beer and pissed more blood, banged more quiff and busted more ***, than all you numbnuts* put together.
*Only applies if your nuts are currently numb.

"It ain't all beer 'n skittles." Carroll "Lex" LeFon, CAPT. USN (Ret) 1961-2012
Old 08-26-2013, 3:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTFO View Post
Do a little Constitution amending ay? Personally, I served to protect and defend, not take rights away.
considering some of the idiots that are voting is why I said it. look at where our state is when you let those who do nothing but milk the system vote those into office that take away from those that work. and some of rights are being taken away in this state and country as well.

I have been serving my country for a quarter of a century and I have had it with the takers voting away our rights.

contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 08-26-2013, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

My cousin got denied in texas. He had a tat that barely broke the wrist by at most 1/4 an inch. Paid to get it removed recruiter still said no. Came out here to visit family for the summer and he talked to a recruiter they said let it heal up and your on your way. I think some recruiters are just lazy, no matter what branch
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTFO View Post
I do agree that it is a bit Stalinistic and I too served to protect and defend. "Service" being the key word with no expectations of reward (although I did expect to get some chicks with the whole uniform thing). However, after I got out I began to question who and what exactly I had served. I strongly feel that it was the interests of the wealthy elite. If more citizens had served and been thrust into the foreign policy then maybe we would have more people questioning exactly what in the **** we are doing right now and putting some pressure on these ******* policy makers. The point of the service thing in my opinion is not to enslave a population but to enlighten them into giving a **** about this country's descent into oblivion.
Old 08-27-2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2li View Post
Yea one of my buddies who is a current recruiter says less than 1 in 4 people that come through his door even qualify.
i tried and was told no because of my asthma

i understand its a liability issue but c'mon inhalers are tiny
Old 08-29-2013, 8:05 PM

And if you lose that inhaler or you are in a war zone and you run out.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

With a finite amount of slots available, I doubt it would ever rise above 1% unless we were in an actual state of war.
Old 09-02-2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
And if you lose that inhaler or you are in a war zone and you run out.
i understand why they cant let people with asthma in and accept it, just kinda bums me out is all
Old 09-02-2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:

Some of us serve our country in other ways that are just as valuable.

A number of years back, I applied for a Naval Officer commission. At the time, the economy had just tanked and people were flocking to join the military because it was thought to be a good, steady job. The recruiters told me that the enlisted slots were practically non-existant and, based on my qualifications, I was encouraged to try for an officer commission.

I busted my behind and worked hard for over a year to get everything lined up. When the selection boards finally came up, they only had 6 slots nationwide for my designator and I regret that I was not selected.

I saved my rejection letter. Do you know why? I am damn proud that, during a time of war, I raised my hand to serve my country. I offered my service and they didn't need it at that time - it is what it is. Because I was going to age out by the next selection board, I couldn't apply again. Later that same year, a friend invited me to check out his fire station. The next thing I know, I found myself in a fire academy. I now work in public safety full-time.

Please understand that not all civilians are lazy jerks who leave the work of military service to others. Some of us earnestly tried to do our parts, but it didn't work out and have found other ways to serve our country. I'd like to keep my right to vote, thank you.

Thank you for all of you who serve in our armed forces - much respect to you all!

BK
Old 09-02-2013, 5:33 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalvidrez View Post
Served 6 years in the infantry. Son left for the Marines on Monday. Daughter graduated Army Basic yesterday. I heard an interesting statistic.

Less than 1% of Americans will serve our military. I was like, WTF Over? That's a small club.

It also explains so much.
Well God bless you and your patriotic kids. While the overall statistic is small, some families just have military blood in their veins. I can only imagine how proud you are. I served in the Army Reserve and the Mrs. was active Navy for 4 years. Safe to say our little one will grow up to respect and admire (and maybe join) the military as well, with our blessings!
Old 09-02-2013, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Need to start a draft again to get some discipline and selfless service back in our population again.

Side note, after 26+ years in the Army, I retire and move to California. I find out about the CSMR, so I say good, another chance to serve. I got beat up in the Army, get retirement and disability, but still outwork young guys at my job. Apply to CSMR, go through all paperwork, interviews, told can't join, I'm too beat up, could be a liability for Californias tax payers. Yet, somehow I had no problems leading my soldiers into hell, but somehow I can't cut one day per month in a building, with no one trying to kill me or my soldiers? Guess I might try to scam the taxpayers if I stub my toe on a monthly drill.

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 09-02-2013, 6:08 PM

Navy, 72 - 77.

One inspection at 6' 2" 205 Lb the inspecting officer called me overweight.

I sure wish I was that overweight again.
Old 09-02-2013, 7:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Navy 77 - 88 at 6'2", 213 was the limit then.

Older brother is retired Air Force
Younger brother was Army
Youngest brother was Coast Guard (we still make fun of him)

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-02-2013, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Remember, you have to be 6 foot tall minimum to join the coast guard.

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 09-02-2013, 8:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Starship Troopers the movies missed the point of the book.
Old 09-02-2013, 8:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If it was my call, I woe make all kids join one branch of the milatary either active or reserve.
Our kids (meaning new generation ) needs discipline, Learn how to respect others and some basic manners.
I think this alone will produce a better America and less crime.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 09-02-2013, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I think I remeber my recruiter teling me "less than % 1 of americans are Marines.
Old 09-02-2013, 8:30 PM

Default Less than 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb View Post
i tried and was told no because of my asthma

i understand its a liability issue but c'mon inhalers are tiny
You cannot enlist with asthma but your allowed to have it once your in.

I tried to join after 9/11 but was denied because of asthma. I saw the writing on the wall and walked into a recruiters office in late 02'. I casually mentioned some seasonal breath issues, he said "hay fever" and I said yes.
I deployed immediately after I inprocessed with a 1 yr supply of Albuterol in my duffle.

"If your not cheating than your not trying and if you get caught then you weren't trying hard enough"!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

My grand father served during the Spanish American War, His oldest son (my uncle) served in the USMC during the Banana Wars 1924-1928, His younger son (also an uncle) served in the USMC 2nd Div. WWll. My stepson-inlaw served with the 7th Cav. (Army) in Desert Storm, my granddaughter served two tours in Iraq while attached with the 101st Airborne last but not least I have a grandson stationed at Camp Lejuene (LCPL).

When I left high school in 1957 at the request of the boy's vice principal I tried to enlist in the navy. As stated earlier I made the mistake of mentioning I had asthma as a child, rejected.

Fast forward to 1961, I received an envelope from The Selective Service, didn't open it. Went back to a different Navy recruiter and didn't say anything about asthma, bingo I'm in.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club