Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Congrats ACI!

I wish I could do it here in my city.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

anyone have any tips for an 06 ammo maker?
Old 11-05-2013, 1:01 PM

Im Applying for my FFL License. I contacted county of Alameda and they informed me to check with Planning Commission. I contacted the planning commision and they told me they dont see any problems. He told me to check with the Sheriff's office also. I called the Sheriff's office and they said they have no Idea if its ok or not since no one ever applied for one. So what are my options? I live un unincorporated area of Alameda and would like to do business from home.
Old 11-05-2013, 1:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Check to see who issues a local business license.

You can try as it sounds like you might be successful.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-05-2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Check to see who issues a local business license.

You can try as it sounds like you might be successful.
The business license is issud by the county and not the city.

So get my approval from the Planning and Sheriff, get my business license and Sellers permit and then apply for my ffl? Is that correct. Im a bit confuse because one of the post sated the city needed his ffl first before they can issue a business license
Old 11-05-2013, 2:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It does not matter who issues it, as that depends on where exactly you are located, just that you can get it and it says valid for retail sales of firearms.

It depends on the location, but often you need to apply for the FFL first, which in parts says that you will be able to get all the other required permits/licenses.

You can get the sellers permit in advance as that does not depend on other things, plus it is the only free thing :-).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-05-2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
It does not matter who issues it, as that depends on where exactly you are located, just that you can get it and it says valid for retail sales of firearms.

It depends on the location, but often you need to apply for the FFL first, which in parts says that you will be able to get all the other required permits/licenses.

You can get the sellers permit in advance as that does not depend on other things, plus it is the only free thing :-).
I called the planning again to get my form signed and the guy I talked left early to go on vacation. I was assigned a new rep and she told me shes not sure that its ok and need to consult with a senior planner. I informed her that there are also two ffl dealers within 2 miles that are operating from their home. She wrote down the address and now waiting for their call
Old 11-06-2013, 5:18 PM

The sheriff finally called me and said that I dont need any permit since DOJ handles everthing. He said to put his name and info on all my papers just incase DOJ needs to call him. Planning got back to me today and said they are still not sure if its legal. I told her there are two other ffl operating from their house about 2 to 3 miles from me who also live in uncorporated area. She said for me to write a letter and she will submit

Now my question do I really beed a permit now or business license?
Old 12-02-2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWPER View Post
The sheriff finally called me and said that I dont need any permit since DOJ handles everthing. He said to put his name and info on all my papers just incase DOJ needs to call him. Planning got back to me today and said they are still not sure if its legal. I told her there are two other ffl operating from their house about 2 to 3 miles from me who also live in uncorporated area. She said for me to write a letter and she will submit

Now my question do I really beed a permit now or business license?
Any update on getting your FFL in alameda county??? Seems every face behind the desk at city hall have a different interpretation of what's legal or not when it comes to this...
Old 12-11-2013, 4:14 PM

I guess the bottom line is, how much is all this going to cost for me to start selling?
Old 12-17-2013, 1:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I read through the ehow and everything but one questions remains in my mind. If I want an 03 ffl do I need to have a brick and mortar storefront or can I operate my "business" out of my home?
Old 12-17-2013, 1:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

An 03 FFL is a C&R FFL, which is not for business.

Whether you have to have a B&M depends on where exactly you live and the local laws/regulations.

Old 01-15-2014, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenhan705eh77 View Post
I guess the bottom line is, how much is all this going to cost for me to start selling?

I'd like to know this as well. I heard some wholesalers require a good amount of $$ to buy in. I would like to start a home based ffl company as a side job. I don't mind spending money on ffl fees to get started but wanted a little bit more info on what gun manufacturers want a high buy in to get their guns in stock to turn a profit. Im not looking to buy the higher end guns and keep them in stock, but would like a few such as glocks, xds, etc.. to get going.

Would I still be able to place an order for someone who would want a specific gun by purchasing from another store then selling it to the buyer at a slightly higher price?

I know theres a few ffl home based dealers here in town already but I think I could sell enough to make some extra hobby cash to spend on my guns and ammo or to eventually expand in the future.

How would I go about buying magpul gear as well as other accessories sell after I get going.

I was going to order the ffl123.com kit to help me get my ffl, but wanted to see how much $$$ is really involved to get things up and running before I commit.

Last edited by mike21; 01-15-2014 at 7:21 AM..
Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
I'd like to know this as well. I heard some wholesalers require a good amount of $$ to buy in. I would like to start a home based ffl company as a side job. I don't mind spending money on ffl fees to get started but wanted a little bit more info on what gun manufacturers want a high buy in to get their guns in stock to turn a profit. Im not looking to buy the higher end guns and keep them in stock, but would like a few such as glocks, xds, etc.. to get going.

Would I still be able to place an order for someone who would want a specific gun by purchasing from another store then selling it to the buyer at a slightly higher price?

I know theres a few ffl home based dealers here in town already but I think I could sell enough to make some extra hobby cash to spend on my guns and ammo or to eventually expand in the future.

How would I go about buying magpul gear as well as other accessories sell after I get going.

I was going to order the ffl123.com kit to help me get my ffl, but wanted to see how much $$$ is really involved to get things up and running before I commit.
Most of the gun distributors I looked into require a 10 gun minimum order for your first order. After that you can do the 1 and 2 gun purchases.
Old 01-22-2014, 5:36 PM

What are the extra requirements if I live half a block from a school??
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM

So City planning denied my request to operate from home. The county counsel said it will create foot traffic. I asked them what if I just open an online store and sell guns and just ship the guns out. They gave me the approval. So now is it worth just having an online gun store?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
So City planning denied my request to operate from home. The county counsel said it will create foot traffic. I asked them what if I just open an online store and sell guns and just ship the guns out. They gave me the approval. So now is it worth just having an online gun store?
I'm going tomorrow to apply for my home use permit. I only have to deal with the county, so that may be a benefit for me. We will see!
Old 02-06-2014, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best sale View Post
Any update on getting your FFL in alameda county??? Seems every face behind the desk at city hall have a different interpretation of what's legal or not when it comes to this...
County planning will not give you approval. I even saud two a day 5 days a week and by appointment only. They said it will create foot traffic. So i said what if i just sell online. They gave me approval
Old 02-20-2014, 1:25 PM

I'm trying to Prep my Centralized List form. What is a Local Firearms dealer and where do I get it. Also on the form, what is • A license granted by the duly constituted licensing authority of any city, county or city and county.
Old 02-20-2014, 1:32 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to Prep my Centralized List form. What is a Local Firearms dealer and where do I get it. Also on the form, what is • A license granted by the duly constituted licensing authority of any city, county or city and county.
That is your local permit from the city or county you live in and if they do not require a permit then a letter stating that from the city or county.
Old 02-20-2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
What are the extra requirements if I live half a block from a school??
is it more than a 1000 feet from school if not then anyone doing business needs to come and go with firearms locked in a container which is what you have to do anyways....
Old 02-26-2014, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes we are supposed to collect the sales tax.

Some dealers don't but they are on the hook for it if the BOE ever come knocking.

For me I'll follow the law and not open myself up to liabilities later on down the road.

We don't want to collect it anymore than you want to pay it.
Old 02-26-2014, 6:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As said, yes. The money goes to the state, just like any other sales tax businesses collect. Some goes back to the location where the tax was collected.

See: CA Sales Tax Firearms Information 495.0843 & 495.0848, 295.1675.600, 475.0055 & 295.1675.600.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/annotati...5.1675.600.pdf

http://www.boe.ca.gov/business/Vol2/suta-q-s.pdf

http://www.boe.ca.gov/business/Vol2/suta-d-g.pdf

Old 03-07-2014, 7:35 AM

Default More help for you FFL applyers

This is going to be a long post but for those of you who are still working on your home-based FFL situation, I think it will be helpful. You need to find your city's home occupation code. There are some cities like San Jose that absolutely do not allow home-based firearm dealers or gunsmiths. In my city of Mountain View, they did not have that restriction. But I did have to deal with clerks at the planning counter that were clearly anti-gun and tried to shut me down. I continued to consult the home occupation guidelines and knew I was able to follow them. As far as those who are told foot traffic is not allowed, again consult the city documents. The planning clerk may not be very familiar with the guidelines. One of the items for my city says "8. The home occupation does not generate more than five (5) additional pedestrian or vehicular trips in excess of that customarily associated with the zoning district in which it is located, and no more than two (2) deliveries per day". I knew I could comply with that and have had no more than 2 people on any one day. I had to sign a statement that I would comply with that guideline and all the others. If your city has this type of compliance statement and you can honestly sign it, they shouldn't be able to deny you. Here is the link to Mountain View's Statement of Compliance with City Code Section A36.42.100 (Home Occupations).
http://www.ci.mtnview.ca.us/civica/f...sp?BlobID=2344
I hope that helps some of you with this situation. Don't let the city clerks push you around on things they don't know about. I finally had to go to the top of the Planning Department and get a meeting with the Zoning Administrator. Unfortunately, there was ONE way for the city to deny my permit which is the last line of the Home Occupations code which states "8. Any other use determined by the Zoning Administrator not to be incidental to or compatible with residential activities." My meeting with the Zoning Administrator was effective because I convinced him there were other home-based FFL's in the area and I was going to follow all of the other guidelines.

Here is the rest of Mountain View City Code Section A36.42.100. The first part of this list is the restrictions on home-based business activities and Section D is the prohibited uses, none of which include firearms.
SEC. A36.42.100. - Home occupations.
A. Purpose. The following provisions allow for home occupations that are secondary to, and compatible with surrounding residential uses.
B. Application. Business licenses are required for home occupations, which are permitted as accessory uses in all residential zoning districts. A statement of compliance with the following operating standards shall be signed prior to issuance of the business license.
C. Operating standards. Home occupations shall comply with all of the following operating standards:
1. The home occupation is clearly secondary to the full-time use of the structure as a residence;
2. The use does not require a modification not customarily found in a dwelling, nor shall the use be visible from the street or from neighboring properties;
3. There is no window display, advertising sign, or other identification of the home occupation on the premises;
4. The home occupation shall be confined completely to one room within the dwelling, or to the garage, or other accessory structure. However, the use may not eliminate any required parking;
5. Only one vehicle with a capacity no greater than 3/4-ton may be used by the occupant directly or indirectly in connection with a home occupation;
6. Activities conducted and equipment or material used shall not change the fire safety or occupancy classifications of the premises. The use shall not employ the storage of flammable, explosive, or hazardous materials unless specifically approved by the Fire Department, in compliance with Chapter 24 of the City Code;
7. No use shall create noise, dust, light, vibration, odor, gas, fumes, toxic/hazardous materials, smoke, glare, electrical interference, or other hazards or nuisances; and
8. The home occupation shall not generate more than five additional pedestrian or vehicular trips in excess of that customarily associated with the zoning district in which it is located, and nor more than two deliveries per day.
D. Prohibited home occupation uses. The following uses are found to be not incidental to or compatible with residential activities, and are therefore prohibited as home occupations:
1. Adult entertainment establishments;
2. Dance or night clubs;
3. Medical services (not including chiropractors and counselors/psychotherapists);
4. Mini storage;
5. Storage of equipment, materials, and other accessories for the construction and service trades;
6. Vehicle repair (body or mechanical), upholstery, automobile detailing and painting;
7. Welding and machining; and
8. Any other use determined by the Zoning Administrator not to be incidental to or compatible with residential activities.
(Ord. No. 8.02, 5/28/02.)
Old 03-07-2014, 8:10 AM

tagged
Old 03-07-2014, 9:21 AM

I would also like to comment on the firearms permit/license. This is separate from the business permit/license. The police department usually issues these. In my city it took almost a month because my contact at the police station was always waiting for the chief to sign but it was free. There's not even a number on it. It's a generic letter granting "license" for one year and signed by the police chief. In the next city over, the same type of license requires fingerprints and approximately $220 fee. It just depends on what the city sets up. This license is required for home-based or brick and mortar so if you are unclear on what it looks like, visit your local firearm shop and look at their local license which should be posted. You'll see who issued it so you can contact the same. It's seen as a public safety issue so public safety department may also be the issuing authority. There are usually some rules on the license that are a useless re-statement of federal or state firearm regulations such as "3. No firearm shall be delivered within ten (10) days..." etc. I attached a copy of last year's license for review.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mountain View Firearms License.pdf (490.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Figure its time to jump in here. We ( MilSpecDepot) Currently have a location in Downtown Los Angeles. An FFL of any type here is impossible. At least I assume. I honestly havent even tried, and quite frankly I am done being in a city that acts as if you are not paying a ton in tax to them. I have had the agent scouting locations and I have found a few good ones in other nearby cities. The beginning of this process is to have your real estate agent not even mention a location if he hasnt already cleared with the owner that it if for a gun business. I was suprised at how receptive most people were. Then as soon as you find a potential adderss , get on the phone to zoning. Give them the address and they will get back with a green or red light. Thats where we are right now. So this will be a nice exercise documenting the process.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2 ill keep you updated. Excuse the typos
Old 03-21-2014, 6:37 AM

Im to the point now where im filling out my actual FFL paperwork and fingerprint cards. Everything else is taken care of, but had a question. I read somewhere I need a resellers permit. I got a sellers permit but im confused as to if they meant a resellers certificate Instead of a sellers permit. Just want to make sure all my permits and licenses are taken care of before I move to the next step.
Old 03-21-2014, 9:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It is a seller's permit.

There is also a secondhand dealer's permit, but that is something else and is not required, unless you want to buy firearms from people for inventory.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get the passport type photos for the ffl paperwork today.
Old 03-21-2014, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get the passport type photos for the ffl paperwork today.
I took a picture against a wall with my cell phone and printed them out on normal paper and cut the paper.
Old 03-24-2014, 5:30 PM

Well finally got my fingerprint card done at the sheriffs office, ffl apps completed and submitted with payment to both atf and sent one to our CLEO. Now the wait begins and I can start moving the office over along with studying a few things before the interview happens. Things are starting to feel real now. Just plugging away little by little.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Can a person be listed as a responsible person on one license and hold their own unique license at the same time?

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You can have multiple FFLs, either different types or at different locations, so I don't see why you could not be a RP on a different FFL.

Old 05-02-2014, 4:55 PM

Had my interview with the agent yesterday and should be getting my license within a month. I had a question regarding inventory storage. I have an office set up in a room. I planned on buying another safe apart from my personal safe for business inventory. Is it a bad idea to keep both safes inside the office where I will be doing business?
Old 05-17-2014, 4:31 PM

Saw good advise from a lot of people. I got approved for my FFL. Just needed my HOA to say it was OK to operate a retail business out of my house. Guess what it wasn't. A lot of time and money down the drain. Also as some have said, many cities have specific laws saying no FFL's out of your home. And some have a limit on how many reatail gun businesses you can have in their city. Local gov's make it hard to get your FFL.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshan View Post
Saw good advise from a lot of people. I got approved for my FFL. Just needed my HOA to say it was OK to operate a retail business out of my house. Guess what it wasn't. A lot of time and money down the drain. Also as some have said, many cities have specific laws saying no FFL's out of your home. And some have a limit on how many reatail gun businesses you can have in their city. Local gov's make it hard to get your FFL.
For those venturing into this make sure you know all the rules before you spend a dime. I did all the research for my location before I spent a nickel...This included lots of time going down to zoning, reading regs, talking to city planners, etc.. You shouldn't be spending money on permits, fingerprints, livescans, etc... until you know the location you're choosing will be good and you have landlord, HOA, etc approval..

what this meant for me was that as soon as I knew everything I needed I started renting an office that gave me the "ok" while I applied for all the other permits.. I paid rent for 1 year before I got my FFL (not home based) as I worked through all the city gobbley gook.

However, I knew what these costs were going to be when I did the analysis of all the opening cost/expenses so it wasn't a shock and I had the case to lay on the table at the time.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 05-18-2014, 8:08 PM

Default FFL out of home and your HOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshan View Post
There's a difference with almost all HOA's when operating an FFL out of your home whereby you do nothing but "mail order" business versus "storefront" retail business. Almost all HOA bylaws allow for mail order type business. Just a thought for mikeshan to consider should you decide to reapply with our city.
Old 06-02-2014, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21guns View Post
I called the DOJ last Wednesday and was told I was cleared and forwarded to the local field agents.
My question is how long does it take for them to contact me? or should i call them?
I was never contacted by the DOJ prior to receiving my ffl. You should receive your ffl before having to deal with the doj.

All the contact I had with them was mailing them all my paperwork and required licenses. Never had any contact personally with any doj agent.

Last edited by Baboosh; 06-02-2014 at 4:02 PM..
Old 07-03-2014, 4:26 PM

Question regarding the COE application. When filling out the COE there is a section to check boxes of business type. I am applying for ffl 07. Do I check; dealer and manufacture? I am not currently in business, does this section apply to me? Thanks