Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Leo off roster purchase

When they purchase a pistol or frame the dros doesnt allow you to select a choice under FSD compliance. Are they exempt if a lock didn't come with pistol?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejr View Post
When they purchase a pistol or frame the dros doesnt allow you to select a choice under FSD compliance. Are they exempt if a lock didn't come with pistol?

If you click on "police officer non-roster handguns sale" They are exempt but this is only supposed to be used for LEO who bring in a letter.

LEO sale of non roster pistols are supposed by be DROSED under "exempt handgun"

Federally, a pistol must have a lock with it of almost any kind.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 AM

Ok i see that there is a difference between the two submissions but still Im still curious where it says in the PC where they are exempt from Fsd compliance.

Old 10-15-2018, 4:38 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejr View Post
Ok i see that there is a difference between the two submissions but still Im still curious where it says in the PC where they are exempt from Fsd compliance.

IIRC they're not. Even CA Firearm Safety Instructors need to have a lock if they purchase a gun.
Old 10-15-2018, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
IIRC they're not. Even CA Firearm Safety Instructors need to have a lock if they purchase a gun.
They are if it is for duty use. The sale must have some sort of lock federally.

If you submit a DROS with a 10 day waiver letter, the state does not require FSD compliance.
Old 10-15-2018, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
They are if it is for duty use. The sale must have some sort of lock federally.

If you submit a DROS with a 10 day waiver letter, the state does not require FSD compliance.

This is correct. Note the stipulation for full-time status and for official duty purposes. This is why the letter is required and the "Peace Officer Exempt" option is used. Standard exempt transactions not requiring an agency letter require a CA compliant lock or Safe Affidavit to satisfy CA needs.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist/

Quote:
The safety device requirement does not apply to the following:
•Persons who can demonstrate the purchase of a DOJ-approved safety device in the 30 days prior to taking possession of the firearm by presenting the device to the firearms dealer and providing the firearms dealer with a receipt showing the purchase date and model name of the device.
•The commerce of any firearm defined as an "antique firearm" pursuant to federal law.
•The commerce of any firearm intended to be used by a salaried, full-time peace officer for law enforcement purposes.
•Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe. Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations.

Last edited by code_blue; 10-15-2018 at 6:21 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
This is correct. Note the stipulation for full-time status and for official duty purposes. This is why the letter is required and the "Peace Officer Exempt" option is used. Standard exempt transactions not requiring an agency letter require a CA compliant lock or Safe Affidavit to satisfy CA needs.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist/
I didn't think CA allows the Safe Affidavit for handgun purchases, only long guns...
Old 10-16-2018, 8:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
I didn't think CA allows the Safe Affidavit for handgun purchases, only long guns...
Why would you think that?

There is an entire Roster of locks that are CA approved. There are two parts to the affidavit for safe or approved lockbox. (Already owned)

Then there is the trigger lock (external or internal if approved)

Federally, for a handgun, one must simply be present. CA wants a CA approved trigger lock, internal, lock box, or safe OR any safe passing “underwriters laboratory” tests or some BS like that.

CZ handguns is a perfect example. Their cable locks are not CA compliant. I can either sell them one for a buck and retain the receipt for DROS or if they have a safe and since the lock complies with ATF, a safe affidavit will work if they have a safe or handgun lock up case.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Why would you think that?

There is an entire Roster of locks that are CA approved. There are two parts to the affidavit for safe or approved lockbox. (Already owned)

Then there is the trigger lock (external or internal if approved)

Federally, for a handgun, one must simply be present. CA wants a CA approved trigger lock, internal, lock box, or safe OR any safe passing “underwriters laboratory” tests or some BS like that.

CZ handguns is a perfect example. Their cable locks are not CA compliant. I can either sell them one for a buck and retain the receipt for DROS or if they have a safe and since the lock complies with ATF, a safe affidavit will work if they have a safe or handgun lock up case.
I could be wrong, but that's what I recall from the DES training and associated materials. Although, from the FAQ on the CADOJ website it looks like it could be used for both.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdfaqs#1
Old 10-16-2018, 5:49 PM

My DOJ Inspector has "requested" that on LE sales with a letter, that we put in the comments section the lock information. Now this is not required since when you DROS a handgun using "police officer non-roster handguns sale" the lock information is gone. But since I want to make my life easier I still add the lock information to the comments section.
Old 10-17-2018, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPT View Post
My DOJ Inspector has "requested" that on LE sales with a letter, that we put in the comments section the lock information. Now this is not required since when you DROS a handgun using "police officer non-roster handguns sale" the lock information is gone. But since I want to make my life easier I still add the lock information to the comments section.
What good does that do if the lock is not rostered. If you want to help the auditor, just type “exempt”
Old 10-27-2018, 8:26 AM

Quote:
What good does that do if the lock is not rostered. If you want to help the auditor, just type “exempt”
I agree with you, but she has specifically told me what "she" wants to see on the DROS paperwork, and to be honest it is easier to comply with her request than fight with her on the legality of it.