Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-03-2016, 6:34 AM

Default These women are redesigning the gun industry

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2016...ters.cnnmoney/

"Women are the fastest-growing demographic among gun buyers, but in an industry that's traditionally catered to men, feminine firearm accessories can be hard to find. Meet the women who are taking matters into their own hands -- by creating concealed carry holsters with fashion in mind."
Old 03-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, NSSF has been publishing that data for a while. The buying habits for guns and accessories are different from others. Glock and a couple of others have embraced the market, not so much with smaller grips that is part of it, but redesigning the recoil impulse. Impressive technology.

A number of the products on the market for women however are cottage industry, some like lethal lace are just plain dangerous.

Others have been around for awhile and are repackaged.

It is a maturing area. The Well Armed Woman and A Girl & A Gun Shooting League, among other groups are not only giving women safe places to learn to shoot, but discuss defensive shooting.

There are still to few locations teaching tactics, offering practice routines, and discussing pros and cons of certain carry systems. None of the shooting sports will have you draw from a belly band, concealed carry purse or concealed carry pants. So experience outside of a simulator which themselves are not very available is hard to come by.

When you actually test some of the products made for women under pressure they are of questionable utility. Sandy and Katy over at Artemis do a lot of that testing in the simulators, and have select students. They train LEOs. Interesting results.

It is great to see products being designed for women, but you still have to pressure test the concept of operation and tactics the will be employed and the training necessary to make it work under condition red or black pressure.

Some of the items shown are more often bought by men for women. The best thing I think you see in the industry is that NSSF has been working to get designers and retailers to sell to women. Sort of help the guys find something else to do well the ladies have a chance to try what they are considering.

Then here is California there is the big issue. Many of the new tech guns aren't available and never will be thanks to the Roster.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

By the way, scheduled for Sunday 13 March CBS Morning News is doing a special on women and guns that will be broadcast nationally. Talked with the correspondent and the producer in my store a few weeks ago. Tracy Smith & John D'Amelio, very nice. May be worth watching. We covered a number of things they live local and came into the store, but ultimately decided since I wasn't a woman and Debbie didn't want to be on camera, that we didn't fit the profile for the piece.
Still the recognition is there. Tracy's first concern was that a woman couldn't really defend herself, and quoted the myth that the gun would just be taken away and used against her. That was an interesting discussion.
I expressed to her my concern about CBS past treatment of this topic. At the same time I walked her through our innovations from the Ulti-Clip Holster, to locking purses so the owner can protect children, people with Alzheimer and dementia from accessing the weapon. We talked a lot systems tactics and training routines. Will be interesting to see if that info is discussed.