Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-08-2016, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Default CCW incident for CGN Ladies to discuss/analyze

I just added this incident to my list of CCW incidents linked in my sig line. Since this occurred back in January, it is #176 out of 180 incidents I've compiled.

Since it involved a BG who stalked a woman, I thought I'd bring it to your attention for discussion rather than just adding it to my list.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ife-point.html

After you've read it (the video doesn't show much), here are my "lessons learned" re. her gun choice:

1) As in most "normal" crimes (vs terrorist attacks), the main thing is to have a CCW and EDC. The odds are a J-frame will do just fine, so if it is between that and a hicap and spare mags left in the safe at home, a J-frame wins hands down ever time. (Of course, the more the better, but EDC something!)

2) Her Beretta did not fire when she first pulled the trigger. She had to pull it multiple times before it would fire. My take: the Beretta shown is a double-action, which is good in this case since it allowed her to keep pulling the trigger until it went "bang!" Why didn't it fire initially? (1) It could have been because of the "close quarters combat" she was engaged in, the slide was out-of-battery and thus would not fire. That is unlikely the case here since this Beretta, IIRC, has a fixed barrel and does not have a full slide. (2) More likely is that it was in .22 rimfire and it is not uncommon for rimfires' primers not to ignite with the first hammer strike. The solution in that case is getting the .25 acp centerfire version. Centerfires have much more reliable ignition.

IMO, she would have been better served by a .38 J-frame Centennial (enclosed hammer): you can press it muzzle-to-meat and fire w/o worrying about it being out-of-battery or the locked breech being unlocked. Plus, being a revolver means you can't "weak wrist" it, causing a jam the way you would with a semi. Having an enclosed hammer means neither flesh nor fabric can keep the hammer from striking during H2H fighting/wrestling.

I'm sure there is much more to be gleaned from this as well.

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2016 at 10:19 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 8:14 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

.22 or .25 the good news is she was armed and successfully defended herself.
proving once again that one should not rule out the .22 and/or .25.

those calibers would NOT be my choice but it was her choice and she was successful.

the push that she "should" change what works for her is understandable in one context but not in another: what works for her works for her. what she practices with and is familiar with works for her. in this instance she had a caliber lower than what I would rely upon BUT and I repeat again SHE SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDED HERSELF. at the end of the day that is goal no matter the caliber.

and re successfully defending herself: that is more than the majority of women can say including myself....I do not have a CCW nor would I be able to get one in Santa Cruz County.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-09-2016, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

The issue with the gun is likely one of use. Too many defensive handguns aren't used until they needed and ammo subjected to regular carry ages.

She was able to effective employ the gun for her intended purpose. Well the .38 is a wonderful gun, my experience is many shooters including men have difficulty handling them even at very close range. It may be small but needs to be tailored to the shooter, something not often done.

In this case her gun was completely effective. They attacker was turned away, and in this case the wound meant he ended up in the authorities hands.

Well there are those here who love their j-frames I have seen way too many women, and men who can't handle the gun at all. Frequently in this age of recoil managed semi auto's with lighter springs and ergonomic grips fitted specifically though computer aided modeling to the strength and contact points of the female hand are a much better choice, although not soon to be available in California.
At SHOT Show I got to sit with designers of several gun manufactures including Glock, Smith & Wesson and SCCY and hear about their product development current and future of the fastest growing segment of the gun market.
She had the gun she had, and it did the job. I would much sooner recommend a Sig P238, or Glock 43 over a J-Frame.
Old 03-09-2016, 8:39 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

too many j-frame owners went with the ultralight which is guaranteed to be hard to control! and given the pain the recoil gives to the hand and wrist, well, I for one wouldn't be practicing with one.....I actually tried one out before I purchased my j-frame all metal stainless model 60-14 in 2005 and I almost did NOT pick up another handgun again AND almost walked out of the range/gun store [Markley's in Watsonville].

if I were able to get a CCW [impossible for me in Santa Cruz county] I would certainly consider the Sig p238. or use my semi-auto .45acp or semi-auto 9mm.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-09-2016, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
too many j-frame owners went with the ultralight which is guaranteed to be hard to control! and given the pain the recoil gives to the hand and wrist, well, I for one wouldn't be practicing with one.....I actually tried one out before I purchased my j-frame all metal stainless model 60-14 in 2005 and I almost did NOT pick up another handgun again AND almost walked out of the range/gun store [Markley's in Watsonville].
I wish S&W would reintroduce J-frames in .32 H&R Magnum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_H%26R_Magnum

Less recoil than .38 spl, but still "effective" (FBI & IWBA standards) with modern bullets and powders. A J-frame holds 6 of those vs 5 of .38 spl/.357. It does not hold the 7 rounds of .22 magnum, but it is centerfire, thus more reliable ignition than the rimfire .22 magnum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_...son_Centennial

220+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

The .380 bodyguard is a very nice platform and is available in So. Cal.

My experience doing surveys on the subject of gun in many places is that many women get guns in one of two ways. One and it's been the majority until recently is they were handed down or gifted one. This was often the family pocket gun or what in theory was simple to use with small girp. They also were handed a revolver without getting a chance to try it, buy guys in gun shops, lets be honest because they were simple and should fire if never cleaned and lubed.

With women gaining respect among the gun industry, and with organization such as A Girl & A Gun, and The Well Armed Woman training and providing more open trying environments, women are trying more guns before they buy, and deciding for themselves.

California sucks because the roster is specifically discriminatory to women.